A DIY digital music streamer with exceptional performance

Moderator: Staff

ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Re: HAKAI playground

Post by ThomasOK »

springwood64 wrote: 2021-07-27 19:28
ThomasOK wrote: 2021-07-27 18:55 Now you can tell us that I preferred different devices on different tracks and make all this I just wrote patent nonsense!
Oops!

But, then again - that is what I experience when I listen both to the recordings and directly to the DACs
I don't feel too bad. For one thing I got best 2 out of 3, for another it seems most here preferred B and 16. So what to make of that?
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

tokenbrit wrote: 2021-07-27 17:09
beck wrote: 2021-07-27 16:02
springwood64 wrote: 2021-07-27 15:54

It's my wife chopping veg in the kitchen, two rooms away. I don't know why it records so loud.
What a “let-down” coming from Guinness opened by a parrot! :-)
Off-topic; just beakause... http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1134/8 ... grande.jpg
Ha ha! Brilliant! I’d forgotten about the old Guinness advert 😃

EDIT: I don’t know how many people remember, but the Guinness bird was actually a toucan. But why spoil a good story with the truth! 😂
Last edited by Spannko on 2021-07-27 23:27, edited 1 time in total.
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

springwood64 wrote: 2021-07-27 19:27 My parrot brought us both a nice chilled glass of white.
Ha ha! Cheers!
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

springwood64 wrote: 2021-07-27 19:27
Ok: the reveal. I have found myself repeatedly switching between these two DACs and getting a bit lost between them.

The HD+ you heard in 'HD+', 'A' and '16'.

The EX you heard in 'EX', 'B', and '32'.

I think I find the HD+ easier to listen to over the longer term, but find myself switching in the EX to listen as well.
My impression is that the HD+ is more harmonious and tuneful, and the EX is more impressive sounding.

Your test highlights just how easy it is to be drawn towards the more impressive option, and how difficult it is to purely focus on pitch harmonicity. I had to listen to the clips at least 10 times each to be sure of my decision, and even then I wasn’t absolutely sure I’d got it right!
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

ThomasOK wrote: 2021-07-27 19:41 …….. it seems most here preferred B and 16. So what to make of that?
I would say that this highlights just how easy it is to be seduced by the most impressive sound. My personal solution to this is comparing as many tracks as necessary until a clear preference emerges.

PS. I’m not immune to being seduced by an impressive sound either. No one said tune dem’s were easy!
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Spannko wrote: 2021-07-27 21:01 My impression is that the HD+ is more harmonious and tuneful, and the EX is more impressive sounding.
Yes, that was also my impression when previously comparing HD+ with EX. There's a harmony in HD+ that I find is missing in EX.

But on these clips, I felt that A was more "impressive" and B more in harmony. That was a surprise, as apparently B was EX. I assume you didn't mix those two clips up, Springwood64.

I should also add, however, that the sound of a DAC depends a lot on what is feeding it. Altering a few software parameters can reverse the results of comparisons like this. What we call DAC's should preferably be regarded as merely one part of a complete digital-to-analogue conversion system.
springwood64
Very active member
Very active member

Post by springwood64 »

lejonklou wrote: 2021-07-27 21:29
But on these clips, I felt that A was more "impressive" and B more in harmony. That was a surprise, as apparently B was EX. I assume you didn't mix those two clips up, Springwood64.
I can confirm that those two were not mixed up. A is definitely the HD+ and B is definitely the EX.

I have captured quite a few recordings between these two, because I find it difficult to choose.

I am going to experiment with different tuning parameters in Volumio and different power supplies, in combination with the two DACs. I am also experimenting with a Tinkerboard vs Hakai. At present the Tinkerboard is more impressive, but the Hakai more enjoyable.

It will keep me entertained until Kalla arrives ...
Pete

Linn Axis, Kinki, Källa (GS308T+Amplifi HD x 2 + BJC), Boazu, Espeks
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Lego »

springwood64 wrote: 2021-04-12 12:40 Comparing with and without lump of Serpentine on top of the DAC (https://www.lejonklou.com/forum/viewtop ... 792#p55792):

Green : https://www.dropbox.com/s/nxcwzhid7ywbn ... n.mp4?dl=0

Red: https://www.dropbox.com/s/7hezofceg9s1yml/red.mp4?dl=0

Let me know what you think
Green for me
I know that tune
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

springwood64 wrote: 2021-07-28 06:47 I have captured quite a few recordings between these two, because I find it difficult to choose.
Do you have a clear preference for one when you listen in room?
Thanks

Matt
Matt

MBP / Exposure pre + power (both modified) / JBL3677
springwood64
Very active member
Very active member

Post by springwood64 »

matthias wrote: 2021-07-29 16:59 Do you have a clear preference for one when you listen in room?
Initially yes, after a few weeks of burn in, no.

Now I can happily listen to either
Pete

Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Lego »

B has a nice groove
I know that tune
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Lego »

springwood64 wrote: 2021-07-29 17:04
matthias wrote: 2021-07-29 16:59 Do you have a clear preference for one when you listen in room?
Initially yes, after a few weeks of burn in, no.

No surprise there :0)
I know that tune
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

springwood64 wrote: 2021-07-29 17:04 Initially yes, after a few weeks of burn in, no.
Did you by any chance compare the two Gigaports to other DACs?
Thanks

matt
Matt

springwood64
Very active member
Very active member

Post by springwood64 »

matthias wrote: 2021-07-29 23:14 Did you by any chance compare the two Gigaports to other DACs?
I have a couple of cheap Chinese DACs but they are not really in the same class. Ok for background music but otherwise uninteresting.
Pete

matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

springwood64 wrote: 2021-07-29 23:21 I have a couple of cheap Chinese DACs but they are not really in the same class. Ok for background music but otherwise uninteresting.
Both Gigaports can be proud of having the same DAC chip inside as Källa.
But I suppose the chip is much better implemented in Källa and gives superior performance.

Matt
Matt

Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

matthias wrote: 2021-07-31 21:44
springwood64 wrote: 2021-07-29 23:21 I have a couple of cheap Chinese DACs but they are not really in the same class. Ok for background music but otherwise uninteresting.
Both Gigaports can be proud of having the same DAC chip inside as Källa.
But I suppose the chip is much better implemented in Källa and gives superior performance.

Matt

I know you’re enthusiastic Matt, but let’s not venture into sycophantic fanboyism. It contributes nothing to help us develop a better understanding of the art of musical sound reproduction.
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

Spannko wrote: 2021-08-01 00:22 I know you’re enthusiastic Matt, but let’s not venture into sycophantic fanboyism. It contributes nothing to help us develop a better understanding of the art of musical sound reproduction.
Spannko,
nothing like you described so kindly.
I would expect Källa to outperform with Qobuz and Spotify the most musical DACs or streamers at least up to its price range, otherwise there will be no reason for me to buy it.

Matt
Last edited by matthias on 2021-08-02 14:21, edited 3 times in total.
Matt

lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

I'm happy and excited that you have high expectations of me and how good Källa will be.

Can't wait until I ship the first units and read the first OMG-comments. It doesn't sound like any source you've ever heard. And even more importantly, it doesn't feel like any source you've ever heard.
macrotech2
Very active member
Very active member

Post by macrotech2 »

lejonklou wrote: 2021-08-01 12:07 I'm happy and excited that you have high expectations of me and how good Källa will be.

Can't wait until I ship the first units and read the first OMG-comments. It doesn't sound like any source you've ever heard. And even more importantly, it doesn't feel like any source you've ever heard.
Do you have a date when those first units will ship Fredrik?
Källa/Sagatun Mono Tarandus/Tundra Mono 3/Avalon Idea Mk2
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

macrotech2 wrote: 2021-08-02 06:42 Do you have a date when those first units will ship Fredrik?
We have been waiting for the cases and the casemakers have been waiting for the aluminum sheets. Large companies have bought and reserved everything that's being made, in an attempt to avoid shortages. Which in turn causes shortages...

But just now I was told they've put aside aluminum for the first 25 cases to me made! So now we're counting weeks instead of months.

I'm on my last week of vacation, but honestly can't wait to get back to work.
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Lego »

matthias wrote: 2021-08-01 08:40
Spannko wrote: 2021-08-01 00:22 I know you’re enthusiastic Matt, but let’s not venture into sycophantic fanboyism. It contributes nothing to help us develop a better understanding of the art of musical sound reproduction.
Spannko,
nothing like you described so kindly.
I would expect Källa to outperform with Qobuz and Spotify the most musical DACs or streamers at least up to its price range, otherwise there will be no reason for me to buy it.

Matt
I just fell off my chair. Let me get this straight Matt, you're going to buy Fredrik's streamer!!?? How many years of research was that?
I know that tune
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Lego wrote: 2021-08-03 13:14 I just fell off my chair. Let me get this straight Matt, you're going to buy Fredrik's streamer!!?? How many years of research was that?
Why the attitude Lego?

To me it seems obvious that Matt is saying "for Källa to be interesting, it needs to deliver the most music for money on the market".

At least that how I feel about it. Does that mean I've heard every single streamer and DAC on the planet? Of course not, nobody has. Still we can be confident that the LP12 is the best turntable on the market. Why? Because we've heard a lot, we share our impressions with others who use the Tune Method and we can extrapolate from that.
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Lego »

lejonklou wrote: 2021-08-03 13:52
Lego wrote: 2021-08-03 13:14 I just fell off my chair. Let me get this straight Matt, you're going to buy Fredrik's streamer!!?? How many years of research was that?
Why the attitude Lego?

To me it seems obvious that Matt is saying "for Källa to be interesting, it needs to deliver the most music for money on the market".

At least that how I feel about it. Does that mean I've heard every single streamer and DAC on the planet? Of course not, nobody has. Still we can be confident that the LP12 is the best turntable on the market. Why? Because we've heard a lot, we share our impressions with others who use the Tune Method and we can extrapolate from that.
No attitude Fredrik I was just surprised that Matt had intimated that he is going to buy your streamer.He has been researching streamers for a long time now and I was asking him how long had it been?

I understand your initial question Fredrik but I fail to see the relevance of your above statement.
I know that tune
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Then perhaps I misunderstood. To me it seemed you were being hard on matthias for having high expectations.

That he'll buy one immediately after hearing it, well that I take for granted.
springwood64
Very active member
Very active member

Post by springwood64 »

Lego wrote: 2021-08-04 15:24
....I was just surprised that Matt had intimated that he is going to buy your streamer.He has been researching streamers for a long time now and I was asking him how long had it been?
I've been considering steamers since 2008, but not heard one that makes me want to spend £x000s

I'm really enjoying experimenting with cheap streaming solutions, and I think the hakai is pretty good value but would not consider it if it cost a lot more.

However, I think I'll take a listen to Källa when it makes it to the UK.

To my ears Boazu clearly delivers unusual musicality for the money, and the content of this forum along with reviews both private and professional of Frederik's other electronics makes me intensely curious about Källa.
Pete