Cables

A DIY digital music streamer with exceptional performance

Moderator: Staff

lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Cables

Post by lejonklou »

FairPlayMotty wrote: 2020-03-05 14:32 I'm a fan of cinnamon buns, had great ones in Malmö and Copenhagen.
:D
FairPlayMotty wrote: 2020-03-05 14:32I just bought five brands of CAT8 cable from Aliexpress for £15. Suck it and see policy.
Sounds like a bargain, good luck!

And if you find one that's really good, I hope you can order it again and get the exact same spec.
OscarH
Very active member
Very active member

Post by OscarH »

FairPlayMotty wrote: 2020-03-05 14:32 I'm a fan of cinnamon buns, had great ones in Malmö and Copenhagen.
Which ones did you prefer?

For those who haven’t visited the wonderful Swedish-Danish border region (extreme bias alert) I might add that the Danish variety is typically a (you guessed it) danish, i.e. using puff pastry, whereas the Swedish version is a swirled up sweet bun dough.

Both great when done right (it’s increasingly difficult to find bakeries using real butter)and much preferable to cookies in my view.
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

OscarH wrote: 2020-03-05 15:03
FairPlayMotty wrote: I'm a fan of cinnamon buns, had great ones in Malmö and Copenhagen.

For those who haven’t visited the wonderful Swedish-Danish border region (extreme bias alert) I might add that the Danish variety is typically a (you guessed it) danish, i.e. using puff pastry, whereas the Swedish version is a swirled up sweet bun dough.

Both great when done right (it’s increasingly difficult to find bakeries using real butter)and much preferable to cookies in my view.
I agree!

But if we are going to find the best one please post a video here of each while eating them. Then we will help deciding which one is best by listening to the sounds from your mouth and expressions on your face! 🤪🤪🤪
Playing cd’s…………
FairPlayMotty
Very active member
Very active member

Post by FairPlayMotty »

OscarH wrote: 2020-03-05 15:03

Diplomacy says it was a tie :)

The kindness of a guy at a Malmö station with no working ticket machines was wonderful. He was Danish but lived in Malmö. Told me his sister had married a Swede as though it was a sin lol
Everything is a remix: Copy, Transform, Combine.
FairPlayMotty
Very active member
Very active member

Post by FairPlayMotty »

lejonklou wrote: 2020-03-05 14:55
:D
FairPlayMotty wrote: 2020-03-05 14:32I just bought five brands of CAT8 cable from Aliexpress for £15. Suck it and see policy.
Sounds like a bargain, good luck!

And if you find one that's really good, I hope you can order it again and get the exact same spec.
Me too! Especially during this torrid time for China. My Z2 200W Pico shipped this morning (ordered early January) - the mains block makes the Streacom look like Lego.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

teatime wrote: 2019-09-10 21:46 The conclusion to my Supra USB cable drama (see above)...

Of course I never got any technical feedback from the firm I got the cable (and the replacement) from. They just, finally, accepted the return and I got my money back.

Fast forward a month, and I happened upon the same cable at a different online shop, and it was offered at a good (lower) price. Ok, so the first shop probably had a bad batch, right? I took a chance, and bought it again, from this second store.

Got the cable, and... It. Does. Not. Work.

I ignored the whole thing for a few days, because I was so annoyed with it (and feeling stupid over having taken a second chance (why not, it seems to work for everyone else!?), only to have to go through the whole RMA dance a second time).

Eventually I reported it, only to have the shop quickly respond that it had reported it to the manufacturer, and they (Jenvig/Supra) would send me a replacement directly.

It arrived today. And it works.

Fourth time lucky. :)
Hi teatime!

I just wanted to report that I recently bought a Supra USB cable (1 m A to mini B) for a newly built HAKAI and it immediately shorted the USB power so that the HAKAI went down and the DAC made a stuttering sound from the power supply protection switching on and off. Dangerous! It could have permanently damaged the precious motherboard.

I took the cable back to the store and got a replacement. Just tried it and BAM - same fault.

I'll email the manufacturer about this.

I sort of wish I could have recommended a different USB cable. But this one is good - when it works.
FairPlayMotty
Very active member
Very active member

Post by FairPlayMotty »

I'm glad my two Supra cables work - and the SQ improvement isn't subtle.
teatime

Post by teatime »

lejonklou wrote: 2020-05-15 22:01 I just wanted to report that I recently bought a Supra USB cable (1 m A to mini B) for a newly built HAKAI and it immediately shorted the USB power so that the HAKAI went down and the DAC made a stuttering sound from the power supply protection switching on and off. Dangerous! It could have permanently damaged the precious motherboard.

I took the cable back to the store and got a replacement. Just tried it and BAM - same fault.

I'll email the manufacturer about this.

I sort of wish I could have recommended a different USB cable. But this one is good - when it works.
Thanks for the report, lejonklou! It was so weird that I seemed to be the only one affected.

It IS a good cable - by far the best I've compared - but the manufacturer must have some serious QA issues to let this many faulty cables out there. It's not really what you expect from a manufacturer that ships a hand-written sticker with each item, identifying who soldered it. (I took pictures of mine. They are all different, which kinda makes me think it's fake.)

It is unlikely, to say the least, that the 5 we've found would be the only faulty ones.