A DIY digital music streamer with exceptional performance

Moderator: Staff

Sopper
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Motherboards

Post by Sopper »

@ Moderators:
Can we start a dedicated thread for cross-country ordering of hard-to-find HAKAI components?
Some internet shops won’t ship abroad, so I figure we can help each other to get the components we need and/or want to try.
KÄLLA > Sagatun Mono 1.7 > Tundra Mono 3.0 > Graham LS8/1F
Cables: Trivium Audio Cables
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Sopper wrote:@ Moderators:
Can we start a dedicated thread for cross-country ordering of hard-to-find HAKAI components?
Some internet shops won’t ship abroad, so I figure we can help each other to get the components we need and/or want to try.
Absolutely!

You can create a new topic and name it appropriately. For instance "Helping each other source HAKAI components". Or something else! :)
Azazello
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Azazello »

I have finally managed to compare N3150N-D3V to the N3050N-D2P.

Different 320's in them (160 in 3150 and 300 in 3050) Both mounted in the same type of Streacom chassis.

I think I prefer the 3050 with the 320 300GB, but only slightly, and I also feel that the variation over time is much larger than this difference, so I guess the conclusion is that I don't see any need to go looking for N3150N-D3V if you already have an N3050N-D2P.

I have clips I can post tomorrow, but I'm not sure how much they will say really.

gnite!

/Az
Moomintroll

Post by Moomintroll »

Does anyone have an update on suitable motherboards, which are actually available?

‘troll
David Neel
Very active member
Very active member

Post by David Neel »

PM me if you are interested in the N3160N-D3V.
The search for knowledge is not nourished by certainty, but by a radical distrust in certainty
David Neel
Very active member
Very active member

Post by David Neel »

My N3160N-D3V arrived today, and is already in use. First impressions are good, possibly better than first impressions of my N3050N-D2P, which has improved significantly with burn-in. Further impressions and clips after a proper burn-in.
The search for knowledge is not nourished by certainty, but by a radical distrust in certainty
kallesprätt

Post by kallesprätt »

David Neel wrote:My N3160N-D3V arrived today, and is already in use. First impressions are good, possibly better than first impressions of my N3050N-D2P, which has improved significantly with burn-in. Further impressions and clips after a proper burn-in.
Great to hear David.
I have been running my Ga-n3160n-d3v almost a week now and it is really good.
I previously owned a krds/1 and from what I remember it was never close to what the Hakai delivers.
I look forward to your comparison between the two motherboards.
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Motherboard Memory

Post by tokenbrit »

Memory advice please on which Kingston ValueRam to buy for the GA-N3160N-D3V:

- The Kingston site indicates the DIMM style RAM for the GA-N3150N-D3V - Part Number: KVR16N11S8K2/8
- The Gigabyte site indicates SO-DIMM RAM for GA-N3150/3160N m'boards, which would be KVR16LS11K2/8

Based on the photos on the Gigabyte's photos, the RAM slots are about a third the width of the Mini-ITX board, which would mean that the SO-DIMM RAM is correct, and Kingston's memory finder is wrong :-o

Can someone confirm that the SO-DIMM RAM (KVR16LS11K2/8) is correct, please?
Sopper
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Motherboard Memory

Post by Sopper »

tokenbrit wrote:Memory advice please on which Kingston ValueRam to buy for the GA-N3160N-D3V:

- The Kingston site indicates the DIMM style RAM for the GA-N3150N-D3V - Part Number: KVR16N11S8K2/8
- The Gigabyte site indicates SO-DIMM RAM for GA-N3150/3160N m'boards, which would be KVR16LS11K2/8

Based on the photos on the Gigabyte's photos, the RAM slots are about a third the width of the Mini-ITX board, which would mean that the SO-DIMM RAM is correct, and Kingston's memory finder is wrong :-o

Can someone confirm that the SO-DIMM RAM (KVR16LS11K2/8) is correct, please?
SO-DIMM according to the Gigabyte website:

2 x DDR3 SO-DIMM sockets supporting up to 8 GB of system memory
* Due to a Windows 32-bit operating system limitation, when more than 4 GB of physical memory is installed, the actual memory size displayed will be less than the size of the physical memory installed.
Dual channel memory architecture
Support for DDR3/DDR3L 1600/1333 MHz memory modules
* Due to an SoC limitation, if a 1333 MHz memory is installed, it will be downgraded to 1066 MHz.
Support for non-ECC memory modules

Always best to trust manufacturers website
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

SO-DIMM is definitely the correct type of module for these boards. The 3150 and 3160 appear to be able to handle both DDR3 and DDR3L. The J3455 is DDR3L only. I'd stick with the Gigabyte recommendations. Two of the KVR16LS11/4 modules are what I bought for the J3455 as they are the DDR3L.
Last edited by ThomasOK on 2018-10-18 16:49, edited 1 time in total.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
David Neel
Very active member
Very active member

Post by David Neel »

I'm using 2 x KVR16LS11/4. It looks like 8GB is overkill as Volumio can't (currently?) address more than 3.2GB, but it's also futureproofing......

I've not had time to properly compare 4GB vs 8GB. Initial impressions were a slight improvement, but there was a time delay and other factors may have been at play.
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

Thanks all. I was just surprised that Kingston was wrong - (so) dim of them to recommend the incorrect RAM ;)
Paaf
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Paaf »

The Kingston modules from the Qualified Vendors List for the N3160N-D3V are
Kingston 4GB KVR16LS11/4 SS
Kingston 4GB KVR16S11/4 DS
Kingston 8GB KVR16LS11/8 DS
(Oddly the KVR16S11/8 is NOT included.)

Are they all equal, tune-wise?

Is 2x4GB better than 1x8GB?

I am also in parallel building the NAS based on the HAKAI. (I bought 2x MB 2x case 2x psu etc). It will be Linux based. Do you suggest 1x4GB or 2x4GB or 1x8GB?
Paaf
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Paaf »

FYI I only bought 1x4GB for each device.
Sopper
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Sopper »

I used 2 x 4GB
Not because I need 8GB memory, but Gigabyte states on their website that it’s better to have 2 memory slots used instead of 1.
(But I cannot find this statement anymore, I’m sure I’ve read it somewhere on their website)
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Lego »

Sopper wrote: 2018-11-15 08:00 I used 2 x 4GB
Not because I need 8GB memory, but Gigabyte states on their website that it’s better to have 2 memory slots used instead of 1.
(But I cannot find this statement anymore, I’m sure I’ve read it somewhere on their website)
They would say that in that if you wanted to double up to 16gb you're throwing away 2x4s..lol...That's always been the doctrine, though not sure they are talking about tunefulness
I know that tune
Djoeri

Post by Djoeri »

I red the topics on hakai with interest, because I was looking into building a streamer by myself. I have a Raspberry which i use now but want something better. When diving into the world of streaming audio and computers I saw that gigabyte has some motherboards with feature like usb dac up and audio noise guard with nichicon caps. These features are to reduce noise on the usb port and separate the ground from the audio part from the rest of the mainboard.
I was wondering if someone has compared this against the motherboards used for hakai? The drawback is that most of these motherboards are gaming boards and i dont know how this influence audio reproduction?
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Djoeri wrote: 2018-12-23 22:04 I red the topics on hakai with interest, because I was looking into building a streamer by myself. I have a Raspberry which i use now but want something better. When diving into the world of streaming audio and computers I saw that gigabyte has some motherboards with feature like usb dac up and audio noise guard with nichicon caps. These features are to reduce noise on the usb port and separate the ground from the audio part from the rest of the mainboard.
I was wondering if someone has compared this against the motherboards used for hakai? The drawback is that most of these motherboards are gaming boards and i dont know how this influence audio reproduction?
Welcome to the forum Djoeri!

What is "usb dac up"? Please be aware that "audio noise guard" is a marketing statement that could either mean 1) something good, 2) something bad, and 3) nothing, when used in a HAKAI.

Reducing noise is another statement that can be safely ignored. HAKAI is not designed as other streamers and doesn't respond in the same way to what some consider improvements. One of the main features is that the motherboard should be tightly coupled to the DAC, with as little filtering as possible of the stream. The isochronous USB interface transfers the importance from the DAC to the motherboard. That's where the precision matters most, and usually "filtered" means less precision.
Djoeri

Post by Djoeri »

Hi,

From what I understand is that usb dac up has a dedicated power design making it less sensitive to voltage changes, how this affects sound i dont know thats why I asked it here.

I know that there is a lot of commercial talking without delivering good sound, I’m Always a bit cautious.
FairPlayMotty
Very active member
Very active member

Post by FairPlayMotty »

I've limited knowledge of DAC design but this ESI DAC is very good. I have three of them. The combination of the CA design and the DAC work beautifully together.
Everything is a remix: Copy, Transform, Combine.