DAC discussions

A DIY digital music streamer with exceptional performance

Moderator: Staff

FairPlayMotty
Very active member
Very active member

Re: DAC discussions

Post by FairPlayMotty »

Within Snakeoil OS on the Music Player tab Alsa Output Devices is "SET VOLUME TO 100%" by default.
Everything is a remix: Copy, Transform, Combine.
OscarH
Very active member
Very active member

Post by OscarH »

I’ve just finished another build, using an intel DN2800MT motherboard to use as a dedicated Spotify Connect player. This unit also plays “not loud” through the Gigaport. Tinkering will continue...

That aside, I found the positive response to the Hakai + Hegel DAC in the playground very interesting.

I know in the “analog analogy” the DAC has been compared with the cartridge... which part is the phono stage?
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Why, a pair of SINGularity of course! It will sound really amazing with the DAC output plugged into it. Not very good, but amazing!
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
OscarH
Very active member
Very active member

Post by OscarH »

Haha, off course!

I’ll have to settle for copper spray paint for the Hakai and NAS ;)

I suppose what I’m getting at is that besides the DAC chip there’s an analog output stage to consider which surely can’t be neglected?
FairPlayMotty
Very active member
Very active member

Post by FairPlayMotty »

OscarH wrote: 2020-03-07 16:20 I’ve just finished another build, using an intel DN2800MT motherboard to use as a dedicated Spotify Connect player. This unit also plays “not loud” through the Gigaport. Tinkering will continue...

That aside, I found the positive response to the Hakai + Hegel DAC in the playground very interesting.

I know in the “analog analogy” the DAC has been compared with the cartridge... which part is the phono stage?
I think you either have a faulty Gigaport or amplifier issues. I have no low output from the Gigaport unless it's with the Tinker Board S.
OscarH
Very active member
Very active member

Post by OscarH »

FairPlayMotty wrote: 2020-03-07 17:23
OscarH wrote: 2020-03-07 16:20 I’ve just finished another build, using an intel DN2800MT motherboard to use as a dedicated Spotify Connect player. This unit also plays “not loud” through the Gigaport. Tinkering will continue...

I think you either have a faulty Gigaport or amplifier issues. I have no low output from the Gigaport unless it's with the Tinker Board S.
I get high output as soon as I plug in a windows PC, so there’s nothing wrong with the amplifier.

It can indeed be the gigaport somehow misinterpreting what it gets from the snakeoil machines... which would then mean it’s faulty as I appear to be the only one experiencing this.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

OscarH wrote: 2020-03-07 16:40 Haha, off course!

I’ll have to settle for copper spray paint for the Hakai and NAS ;)

I suppose what I’m getting at is that besides the DAC chip there’s an analog output stage to consider which surely can’t be neglected?
True, but the analog output stage is normally (always?) part of the DAC system so I don't know if you can actually separate them.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

I would say that the analog output stage is the digital equivalent of the phono stage in a vinyl system.
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

lejonklou wrote: 2020-03-07 19:42 I would say that the analog output stage is the digital equivalent of the phono stage in a vinyl system.
This is a dead-on analogy!
The pure DAC is like the cartridge and after the analog output/phono stage both the DAC/vinyl signals have about the same volume level.

Matt
Matt

MBP / Exposure pre + power (both modified) / JBL3677
OscarH
Very active member
Very active member

Post by OscarH »

OscarH wrote: 2020-03-07 17:31
FairPlayMotty wrote: 2020-03-07 17:23

I get high output as soon as I plug in a windows PC, so there’s nothing wrong with the amplifier.

It can indeed be the gigaport somehow misinterpreting what it gets from the snakeoil machines... which would then mean it’s faulty as I appear to be the only one experiencing this.
The above issue has now been fixed.

Fredrik was right - something was wrong with the settings, though in fairness the exact problem wasn’t too easy to guess.

The always helpful Agent_kith suggested that the alsamixer CAN default to different values for different sound cards, despite appearing to be at 100% on the snakeoil dashboard.

A tiny bit of SSH commands later and it’s now at 100 for the gigaport too. Turned out it was only at 41 before.
FairPlayMotty
Very active member
Very active member

Post by FairPlayMotty »

OscarH wrote: 2020-03-08 09:00
OscarH wrote: 2020-03-07 17:31
FairPlayMotty wrote: 2020-03-07 17:23 I think you either have a faulty Gigaport or amplifier issues. I have no low output from the Gigaport unless it's with the Tinker Board S.

The above issue has now been fixed.

Fredrik was right - something was wrong with the settings, though in fairness the exact problem wasn’t too easy to guess.

The always helpful Agent_kith suggested that the alsamixer CAN default to different values for different sound cards, despite appearing to be at 100% on the snakeoil dashboard.

A tiny bit of SSH commands later and it’s now at 100 for the gigaport too. Turned out it was only at 41 before.
That's very odd. I've built seven players using Snakeoil and never had it with three Gigaport Docs. Agent_Kith is very good and very talented.
I'm glad it got sorted out Oscar!
OscarH
Very active member
Very active member

Post by OscarH »

Odd indeed that two separate builds using different motherboards run into the same, unusual issue. Glad it’s solved!

Checked the Hegel DAC interface for sake of good order and that’s at 100%.

This warrants new DAC comparisons - being digitally reduced to 41% is unlikely to have worked in the Gigaport’s favour in a head-to-head.
FairPlayMotty
Very active member
Very active member

Post by FairPlayMotty »

OscarH wrote: 2020-03-08 12:00 Odd indeed that two separate builds using different motherboards run into the same, unusual issue. Glad it’s solved!

This warrants new DAC comparisons - being digitally reduced to 41% is unlikely to have worked in the Gigaport’s favour in a head-to-head.
All my Snakeoil OS installs were 64 bit so we weren't like for like which hindered problem solving.
OscarH
Very active member
Very active member

Post by OscarH »

FairPlayMotty wrote: 2020-03-08 20:19
OscarH wrote: 2020-03-08 12:00 Odd indeed that two separate builds using different motherboards run into the same, unusual issue. Glad it’s solved!

All my Snakeoil OS installs were 64 bit so we weren't like for like which hindered problem solving.
True. The common denominator is the 32 bit Snakeoil+Gigaport; I may very well be the only person in the world running that exact combination.
FairPlayMotty
Very active member
Very active member

Post by FairPlayMotty »

OscarH wrote: 2020-03-09 09:28
FairPlayMotty wrote: 2020-03-08 20:19

True. The common denominator is the 32 bit Snakeoil+Gigaport; I may very well be the only person in the world running that exact combination.
You're a unique cinnamon bun Oscar :)
OscarH
Very active member
Very active member

Post by OscarH »

FairPlayMotty wrote: 2020-03-10 14:18

You're a unique cinnamon bun Oscar :)
Haha! I do appear to have a knack for encountering challenges that everybody else have managed to avoid.

But, as my wife has wisely pointed out, I wouldn’t have learned much from the process if everything had “just worked”.

There’s an ever increasing body of knowledge on these digital players on here and I hope it might encourage a few more to take the plunge.
FairPlayMotty
Very active member
Very active member

Post by FairPlayMotty »

rps20200807_230053.jpg
Loving the sound of this DAC. The NOS vs Sigma Delta DAC debates rage. So far I'm in the NOS camp. In theory this DAC should sound bad. New theories required....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kalle05

Post by Kalle05 »

FairPlayMotty wrote: 2020-08-28 23:03 rps20200807_230053.jpg

Loving the sound of this DAC. The NOS vs Sigma Delta DAC debates rage. So far I'm in the NOS camp. In theory this DAC should sound bad. New theories required....
What dac is that ?