General discussion about HAKAI

A DIY digital music streamer with exceptional performance

Moderator: Staff

Lemmy

Re: HAKAI

Post by Lemmy »

lejonklou wrote:
Azazello wrote:
lejonklou wrote: If you stay as close as possible to the specification of the original Gigabyte GA-N3050N-D3H, there's a good chance you'll get good results. That is: Gigabyte, Ultra Durable series, integrated Celeron processor, passive cooling, mini-ITX format and ATX powered.
Looking at this page: https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Ul ... e%E2%84%A2

I would assume that the ITX-cards with Celeron N3050, N3150 and N3160 are all valid candidates?

That would include:

GA-N3050N-D2P
GA-N3050N-D3H
GA-N3150N-D3V
GA-N3150N-D2H
GA-N3160N-D3V

Would you agree Fredrik? What do you think about the "J"-series of Celeron processors?
Excellent work!

All of the above should work and are likely to sound good (although likely with some variation that is impossible to quantify without actual comparison).

What differs between them is:
• How many cores their Celeron processor has (3050 is dual core and 3150/3160 is quad core). It's unclear whether this matters to sound quality. Note that a Celeron processor is not mandatory, but they are low power (therefore suitable to fanless designs) and boards with for instance Intel i3, i5, i7 or i9 don't seem to offer any sound benefits, only higher speed (which is unnecessary) and power (requiring more cooling).
• What video output is available (DVI, HDMI or D-Sub). You will need a screen attached to HAKAI when installing Volumio (as well as a keyboard and mouse), so make sure your screen has the relevant input.
• Different RAM specification (UDIMM or SO-DIMM). Make sure you get the right RAM specification.

There might be even more suitable Gigabyte UD motherboards out there.
Yes, nice work! However they all seem to be out of production and not easily available.

GA-J3455N-D3H is still in production and seems to come quite close to the ”original specification”:
https://www.gigabyte.com/Comparison/Res ... ,5631,6221
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Lemmy wrote:Yes, nice work! However they all seem to be out of production and not easily available.

GA-J3455N-D3H is still in production and seems to come quite close to the ”original specification”:
https://www.gigabyte.com/Comparison/Res ... ,5631,6221
Yes, that should work too.

I haven't tested any "J-Celeron" boards. All I know is that they're faster. Do they produce more power and therefore run hotter? That could be a disadvantage. The temperature of the cores appear to affect sound quality, they should neither run too hot nor too cold.
David Neel
Very active member
Very active member

Post by David Neel »

I've spent some time tracking down a motherboard, and found a 3050 D2P. It seems the key difference is that it requires U-DIMM rather than SO-DIMM memory. Is this significant?
The search for knowledge is not nourished by certainty, but by a radical distrust in certainty
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

David Neel wrote:I've spent some time tracking down a motherboard, and found a 3050 D2P. It seems the key difference is that it requires U-DIMM rather than SO-DIMM memory. Is this significant?
I don't think this matters. UDIMM is bigger but as long as there's enough space in the enclosure it should be fine. There are multiple details that differ between motherboards that could potentially have an impact, but my guess is that memory module size is way down on the list.
Azazello
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Azazello »

lejonklou wrote: [...] I can also add another one:

GA-N3150M-D3P
[...]
I belive that's a mATX. Not sure that's important apart from the fact that you can't use the tested Chassi?

/Az
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Azazello wrote:
lejonklou wrote: [...] I can also add another one:

GA-N3150M-D3P
[...]
I belive that's a mATX. Not sure that's important apart from the fact that you can't use the tested Chassi?

/Az
Thanks, my mistake!

I will remove it from my post. Although it might work well, it's too big for the case and that just makes it confusing.
David Neel
Very active member
Very active member

Post by David Neel »

lejonklou wrote:
David Neel wrote:I've spent some time tracking down a motherboard, and found a 3050 D2P. It seems the key difference is that it requires U-DIMM rather than SO-DIMM memory. Is this significant?
I don't think this matters. UDIMM is bigger but as long as there's enough space in the enclosure it should be fine. There are multiple details that differ between motherboards that could potentially have an impact, but my guess is that memory module size is way down on the list.
Thank you. All components now ordered except the SATA cables. I had the foresight to buy a couple of spare Intel 320s when I built the LS-NAS, as that now seems to be the bottleneck.
The search for knowledge is not nourished by certainty, but by a radical distrust in certainty
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

How exciting, David! I hope the assembly and installation goes well.

I have updated my initial posts STEP ONE and STEP TWO.
David Neel
Very active member
Very active member

Post by David Neel »

I've recently updated my ADS/1 to ADS/3 Katalyst which was a big upgrade. If/when HAKAI blows it into the weeds I won't know whether to laugh or cry.....
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

I suspect your Katalyst ADS will have a more refined sound quality than HAKAI.
But HAKAI may have other merits.

Looking forward to your impressions!
Azazello
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Azazello »

David Neel wrote:I've recently updated my ADS/1 to ADS/3 Katalyst which was a big upgrade. If/when HAKAI blows it into the weeds I won't know whether to laugh or cry.....
I almost never listened to music anymore on my ADS/D, now I have music on almost all the time. For me it’s a fundamental shift. My wife is just as amazed as I am.

I use the N3150N-D3V, and I just ordered a N3050N-D2P to build a NAS.
Azazello
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Azazello »

Two things that needs to be clarified are:

1: The installation of the software is NOT straightforward if you are not familiar with Linux. I ended up installing a disc with Windows in my HAKAI and installed Volomio to the 320 from there. I recommend that you do this instead of the “dual memory stick”-method presented by Volumio.

2: It’s not an acceptably stable product. Once you get it to play it usually works, but more often than not it refuses to start on the first attempt and needs to be restarted. For me, it almost never works to use the “playlist” (right) or “control” (middle) menu. I have to start everything from the “my music” (the left) view.

These statements should be balanced by:

1: I also hated the IT-aspect of the ADS, and I had problems with it as well, just not to the same extent.

2: It sounds so good that I just don't care.
David Neel
Very active member
Very active member

Post by David Neel »

The DAC has arrived! All other components are due tomorrow, and so the build should be tomorrow evening. The SATA cable is not yet ordered, I will make do with a generic until I work out how to order to the UK from the webhallen website - I have emailed them to ask for help.

I've also ordered a GS108T to replace my GS105, and the blue jeans cables, which will take some time. A lot of experimental listening is about to happen. I will keep you all posted!
David Neel
Very active member
Very active member

Post by David Neel »

Where does the name HAKAI come from?
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Azazello wrote:2: It sounds so good that I just don't care.
Ha ha! I know what you mean.
David Neel wrote:Where does the name HAKAI come from?
My intern came up with it. He's familiar with Japanese culture and after having listened to the streamer and understanding how this DIY unit performs in competition with some very expensive units out there, he felt it was an appropriate name.
maffe
Very active member
Very active member

Post by maffe »

David Neel wrote: The SATA cable is not yet ordered, I will make do with a generic until I work out how to order to the UK from the webhallen website - I have emailed them to ask for help.

If you need help let me know I can take a walk to webhallen and buy one and send it to you.

:)
David Neel
Very active member
Very active member

Post by David Neel »

maffe wrote:
David Neel wrote: The SATA cable is not yet ordered, I will make do with a generic until I work out how to order to the UK from the webhallen website - I have emailed them to ask for help.

If you need help let me know I can take a walk to webhallen and buy one and send it to you.

:)
maffe, thank you! If they don't respond, I'll PM you.
David Neel
Very active member
Very active member

Post by David Neel »

I've now got almost everything, and will do the physical build tonight.

Please note, the Streacom Nano 160 came with a standard IEC 3 flat pin connector. The Farnell part number for the power cord has a 3 round pin connector, so I am returning it and will use a spare Linn power cord for the moment. Has Streacom changed its input socket?

This suggests that Fredrik's standard power cords might be the best solution?
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

David Neel wrote:I've now got almost everything, and will do the physical build tonight.

Please note, the Streacom Nano 160 came with a standard IEC 3 flat pin connector. The Farnell part number for the power cord has a 3 round pin connector, so I am returning it and will use a spare Linn power cord for the moment. Has Streacom changed its input socket?

This suggests that Fredrik's standard power cords might be the best solution?
Thanks for the info regarding the power cord!

It appears I have both versions on the Streacom adapters. It might be that the "Mickey Mouse" (which is what the C6 smaller laptop adapter inlet is often called) version is the older one and the standard C14 (same as on many of your HiFi units) is what they currently use. If so, this is good news as a good sounding standard power cord can be used.

I will update the post STEP 2 accordingly.
Azazello
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Azazello »

David Neel wrote:I've now got almost everything, and will do the physical build tonight.
Can't wait to hear what you think!

I haven't bothered about any of the cables :)
David Neel
Very active member
Very active member

Post by David Neel »

Physical build complete. Now for getting the software to work....

It's at times like this I regret that my youngest son is now 25 and living two hundred miles away. He'd have it sorted in ten minutes.
David Neel
Very active member
Very active member

Post by David Neel »

So far failed to make volumio work.

Options: continue to knock head against wall; or pour large drink and listen to LP12.

Option 2 chosen.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

lejonklou wrote:
David Neel wrote:Where does the name HAKAI come from?
My intern came up with it. He's familiar with Japanese culture and after having listened to the streamer and understanding how this DIY unit performs in competition with some very expensive units out there, he felt it was an appropriate name.
HAKAI = DESTROY or DESTRUCTION!
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
Azazello
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Azazello »

David Neel wrote:So far failed to make volumio work.

Options: continue to knock head against wall; or pour large drink and listen to LP12.

Option 2 chosen.
Have you installed it at all? If you have another PC, I suggest you put the 320 in that (or the windows disc in HAKAI) and install Volumio from there. I spent hours trying to install it according to the Volumio instructions with no success ... Have you found the support-thread about installation on Volumios forum? I have posted there about this method (you need another software), it’s the last post.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Azazello wrote:
David Neel wrote:So far failed to make volumio work.

Option 2 chosen.
Have you installed it at all? If you have another PC, I suggest you put the 320 in that (or the windows disc in HAKAI) and install Volumio from there. I spent hours trying to install it according to the Volumio instructions with no success ... Have you found the support-thread about installation on Volumios forum? I have posted there about this method (you need another software), it’s the last post.
Those were really good instructions, Azazello. Strange why nobody has commented on the Volumio forum.

The original method works for me, but it took me a while to get there and sometimes it does freeze for no apparent reason. The Azazello way does indeed seem simpler and more reliable.