HAKAI Build Help?

A DIY digital music streamer with exceptional performance

Moderator: Staff

WheresMyNaim
Member
Member
Posts: 46
Joined: 2020-10-04 18:20

Re: HAKAI Build Help?

Post by WheresMyNaim » 2020-10-07 18:32

tokenbrit wrote:
2020-10-07 18:05
WheresMyNaim wrote:
2020-10-07 16:49
.. five cases ... Streacom at five and Fractal Design Node 202 top.
Curious what criteria determine top in this case (no pun intended ;) and what PSU in the FD establishes that ranking.
FPM explained his rationale for the Streacom ranking.

The PSU used is not case dependent.

tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member
Posts: 1091
Joined: 2012-03-22 19:47
Location: New England

Re: HAKAI Build Help?

Post by tokenbrit » 2020-10-07 21:45

WheresMyNaim wrote:
2020-10-07 18:32
The PSU used is not case dependent.
It's at least somewhat dependent: the Node 202 accommodates an SFX power supply; the Streacom case uses a 'picoPSU' board with an external supply/adapter...

WheresMyNaim
Member
Member
Posts: 46
Joined: 2020-10-04 18:20

Re: HAKAI Build Help?

Post by WheresMyNaim » 2020-10-07 21:54

tokenbrit wrote:
2020-10-07 21:45
WheresMyNaim wrote:
2020-10-07 18:32
The PSU used is not case dependent.
It's at least somewhat dependent: the Node 202 accommodates an SFX power supply; the Streacom case uses a 'picoPSU' board with an external supply/adapter...
Pray tokenbrit, may I enquire if you have a Node 202?

tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member
Posts: 1091
Joined: 2012-03-22 19:47
Location: New England

Re: HAKAI Build Help?

Post by tokenbrit » 2020-10-07 22:06

WheresMyNaim wrote:
2020-10-07 21:54
.. may I enquire if you have a Node 202?
Yes you may, and no I don't.

WheresMyNaim
Member
Member
Posts: 46
Joined: 2020-10-04 18:20

Re: HAKAI Build Help?

Post by WheresMyNaim » 2020-10-07 22:18

The PSU used is not case dependent for the Node 202. At all.

Let's deal in facts please, the case can be used with an SFX power supply, a pico power supply or a directly powered motherboard. A mere glance at the specifications informs me. But I'm assured our erstwhile forum contributor has builds using two of the three excluding the SFX.

Forgive my desire for precision. My occupation demands it.

WheresMyNaim
Member
Member
Posts: 46
Joined: 2020-10-04 18:20

Re: HAKAI Build Help?

Post by WheresMyNaim » 2020-10-07 22:38

tokenbrit wrote:
2020-10-07 21:45

It's at least somewhat dependent: the Node 202 accommodates an SFX power supply
The Node 202 can, "accomodate" a gaming card, it has no bearing on its use as a CA case. However, the expansion card slots and vacant real estate may be valuable for CA.

tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member
Posts: 1091
Joined: 2012-03-22 19:47
Location: New England

Re: HAKAI Build Help?

Post by tokenbrit » 2020-10-08 02:54

"Let's deal in facts", you say, as if I wasn't?!? That was why I asked what the criteria was for ranking the cases, but which went unanswered. The Node 202 is designed for an SFX power supply - that it was set up and compared using a Pico power supply is a detail, or fact, that wasn't made clear. If it's not a design feature of the case to connect a Pico power supply, then it's not obvious how that was done, which makes me curious whether the results were consistent & reliable... Was the case itself the only thing that changed in the comparisons? Was musicality the only determining factor? The devil is in the details, as they say - if the method isn't clear, or made clear, how can we accept, rely on, and expect to repeat the results? Without that there's little point to continuing this exchange - I'm not interested in arguing specs, or semantics.

WheresMyNaim
Member
Member
Posts: 46
Joined: 2020-10-04 18:20

Re: HAKAI Build Help?

Post by WheresMyNaim » 2020-10-08 05:31

tokenbrit wrote:
2020-10-08 02:54
"Let's deal in facts", you say, as if I wasn't?!? That was why I asked what the criteria was for ranking the cases, but which went unanswered. The Node 202 is designed for an SFX power supply - that it was set up and compared using a Pico power supply is a detail, or fact, that wasn't made clear. If it's not a design feature of the case to connect a Pico power supply, then it's not obvious how that was done, which makes me curious whether the results were consistent & reliable... Was the case itself the only thing that changed in the comparisons? Was musicality the only determining factor? The devil is in the details, as they say - if the method isn't clear, or made clear, how can we accept, rely on, and expect to repeat the results? Without that there's little point to continuing this exchange - I'm not interested in arguing specs, or semantics.
You stated at the outset and repeat that the Node 202 is set up for an SFX power supply because you're trying to re-assert your false premise about the dependency between the case and the psu. Have you spoken to the designer of the case? Otherwise you do not know if the Node 202 was designed for a range of psu possibilities or the SFX. Simply by briefly glancing at the specifications of the case I can see immediately how a pico power supply can be deployed within the case. That you cannot is stunning. Evidently FPM knows more about builds using a Node 202 than either you or I. After all, FPM has completed two builds with the Node 202 and we have completed none.

I browsed for a CA build using the Node 202. No SFX psu was used in the attached.

https://www.snakeoil-os.net/wiki/Hardwa ... n-mini-itx

Did you bother to browse for Node 202 CA builds tokenbrit? A browser can be your ally.

The criteria for the case ranking was part of a private message between FPM and I. FPM must decide if he wishes to divulge the details of the criteria he used to assess cases. Based on his prior posts and a conversation with him, his criteria seem logical, detailed, tried and tested.

Your response is what I expected. You presume your expertise in building PCs is higher than mine or FPM's. Based on your posts on this ITX case I doubt the veracity of your assumption.

Your posting history reveals that you're very intelligent tokenbrit and helpful. Forum participants should be respectful and debate on facts not baseless assertions. If you fail on the facts what follows loses gravitas.

Each of us owes the other the presumption of dealing with an equal. Sporadically your prior post history reveals someone who does not think he's dealing with an equal. On forums it's easy to lose track of the obvious - I know little about you and vice versa. Should you want data on my background you can reach out. Reaching out to FPM was fruitful for me. Try it perhaps? You may be pleasantly surprised.

WheresMyNaim
Member
Member
Posts: 46
Joined: 2020-10-04 18:20

Re: HAKAI Build Help?

Post by WheresMyNaim » 2020-10-18 02:28

31yYA9FbQ7L._AC_ (1).jpg
31yYA9FbQ7L._AC_ (1).jpg (6.72 KiB) Viewed 327 times
New case recommendation for me from FPM. Look appeals to my wife. Build, space and damping have me curious. It's discontinued but available Dutch case, Nexus Psile.

https://silentpcreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=34115

Lego
Very active member
Very active member
Posts: 773
Joined: 2007-04-18 11:42
Location: glasgow

Re: HAKAI Build Help?

Post by Lego » 2020-10-18 10:30

WheresMyNaim wrote:
2020-10-18 02:28
31yYA9FbQ7L._AC_ (1).jpg

New case recommendation for me from FPM. Look appeals to my wife. Build, space and damping have me curious. It's discontinued but available Dutch case, Nexus Psile.

https://silentpcreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=34115
Jeez wmn do you believe everything FPM tells you !?
I know that tune

WheresMyNaim
Member
Member
Posts: 46
Joined: 2020-10-04 18:20

Re: HAKAI Build Help?

Post by WheresMyNaim » 2020-10-18 15:49

Lego wrote:
2020-10-18 10:30
WheresMyNaim wrote:
2020-10-18 02:28
31yYA9FbQ7L._AC_ (1).jpg

New case recommendation for me from FPM. Look appeals to my wife. Build, space and damping have me curious. It's discontinued but available Dutch case, Nexus Psile.

https://silentpcreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=34115
Jeez wmn do you believe everything FPM tells you !?
LMAO.

The way I roll is simple. I like people who are thorough, fact-based, know the difference between facts and opinions, are consistent, use evidence etc. If folks get basic facts wrong, my eyebrows move by instinct. Build relationships on trust. I trust FPM, methodical.

I'm an existentialist. The Nexus exists, nothing to believe :)

FPM sent me pics of six cases he's used plus the Nexus Psile. I browsed the Nexus case. Gamers don't like it - CA ain't as CPU intensive as gaming. Showed the pics to my wife. She said the piano black one fits the decor. Reverted to FPM and asked how the case affects SQ in CA. He sent three clips of same motherboard in three cases. I could see the case and USB cable in the clips; otherwise I'd have thought it was same audio recording. FPM says every part matters but case is low on his list of influential components. And he is testing case SQ adjustment. He's squeezing the pips.

Case ranked two on his list was computer nerd nirvana - lovely engineered heatsink. I'm told you both own two of those. Do you believe everything FPM tells you Lego?

Highly skeptical of one aspect on Nexus chat with FPM. Asserts he's bought the Nexus case for his v attractive girlfriend who was offered a streamer but requested the parts to build it herself ("girlfriend Lego" was the description). Where do you find such a woman? Seems v unlikely combination to me :-)

Lego
Very active member
Very active member
Posts: 773
Joined: 2007-04-18 11:42
Location: glasgow

Re: HAKAI Build Help?

Post by Lego » 2020-10-18 21:11

WheresMyNaim wrote:
2020-10-18 15:49
Lego wrote:
2020-10-18 10:30
WheresMyNaim wrote:
2020-10-18 02:28
31yYA9FbQ7L._AC_ (1).jpg

New case recommendation for me from FPM. Look appeals to my wife. Build, space and damping have me curious. It's discontinued but available Dutch case, Nexus Psile.

https://silentpcreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=34115
Jeez wmn do you believe everything FPM tells you !?
LMAO.

The way I roll is simple. I like people who are thorough, fact-based, know the difference between facts and opinions, are consistent, use evidence etc. If folks get basic facts wrong, my eyebrows move by instinct. Build relationships on trust. I trust FPM, methodical.

I'm an existentialist. The Nexus exists, nothing to believe :)

FPM sent me pics of six cases he's used plus the Nexus Psile. I browsed the Nexus case. Gamers don't like it - CA ain't as CPU intensive as gaming. Showed the pics to my wife. She said the piano black one fits the decor. Reverted to FPM and asked how the case affects SQ in CA. He sent three clips of same motherboard in three cases. I could see the case and USB cable in the clips; otherwise I'd have thought it was same audio recording. FPM says every part matters but case is low on his list of influential components. And he is testing case SQ adjustment. He's squeezing the pips.

Case ranked two on his list was computer nerd nirvana - lovely engineered heatsink. I'm told you both own two of those. Do you believe everything FPM tells you Lego?

Highly skeptical of one aspect on Nexus chat with FPM. Asserts he's bought the Nexus case for his v attractive girlfriend who was offered a streamer but requested the parts to build it herself ("girlfriend Lego" was the description). Where do you find such a woman? Seems v unlikely combination to me :-)
I think you're losing the plot WMN
I know that tune

WheresMyNaim
Member
Member
Posts: 46
Joined: 2020-10-04 18:20

Re: HAKAI Build Help?

Post by WheresMyNaim » 2020-10-18 21:49

Lego wrote:
2020-10-18 21:11
I think you're losing the plot WMN
No plot to lose. My primary rationale for joining was to attain a HQ digital source.

Case, motherboard, RAM, DAC and SSDs on order. Select cables later. HW dealt with, SW to follow. Happy with the advice I've read and heard. New motherboard was a steal (and off my radar - thanks FPM). Distillation of sound advice is easy compared to finding out on my lonesome.

The Auralic is on the way back to my buddy.

Lego
Very active member
Very active member
Posts: 773
Joined: 2007-04-18 11:42
Location: glasgow

Re: HAKAI Build Help?

Post by Lego » 2020-10-18 23:01

WheresMyNaim wrote:
2020-10-18 21:49
No plot to lose. My primary rationale for joining was to attain a HQ digital source.

Case, motherboard, RAM, DAC and SSDs on order. Select cables later. HW dealt with, SW to follow. Happy with the advice I've read and heard. New motherboard was a steal (and off my radar - thanks FPM). Distillation of sound advice is easy compared to finding out on my lonesome.

The Auralic is on the way back to my buddy.
Fair enough
I know that tune

springwood64
Active member
Active member
Posts: 191
Joined: 2008-10-13 18:19
Location: Devon

Re: HAKAI Build Help?

Post by springwood64 » 2020-10-18 23:02

WheresMyNaim wrote:
2020-10-18 21:49

Case, motherboard, RAM, DAC and SSDs on order. Select cables later. HW dealt with, SW to follow. Happy with the advice I've read and heard. New motherboard was a steal (and off my radar - thanks FPM). Distillation of sound advice is easy compared to finding out on my lonesome.

The Auralic is on the way back to my buddy.
Exciting! I'm sure you'll find it very satisfying.

It took me 2-3 weeks to get the software and network set up to my liking, partly because I had to rediscover my approach to listening to digital sources.

Before I started I had never heard of Qobuz or Radio Paradise, but these are now my main digital sources. I prefer them both to my ripped music stored on my NAS.
Pete Callaghan

Linn Axis, Kinki, Hakai HW with Snakeoil OS, Boazu, Espeks

WheresMyNaim
Member
Member
Posts: 46
Joined: 2020-10-04 18:20

Re: HAKAI Build Help?

Post by WheresMyNaim » 2020-10-18 23:26

springwood64 wrote:
2020-10-18 23:02
Exciting! I'm sure you'll find it very satisfying.

It took me 2-3 weeks to get the software and network set up to my liking, partly because I had to rediscover my approach to listening to digital sources.

Before I started I had never heard of Qobuz or Radio Paradise, but these are now my main digital sources. I prefer them both to my ripped music stored on my NAS.
Cool! What USB cable is in your DAC Pete? BJC for ethernet?

springwood64
Active member
Active member
Posts: 191
Joined: 2008-10-13 18:19
Location: Devon

Re: HAKAI Build Help?

Post by springwood64 » 2020-10-19 06:50

WheresMyNaim wrote:
2020-10-18 23:26

Cool! What USB cable is in your DAC Pete? BJC for ethernet?
I'm using the recommended Supra USB cable and BJC for ethernet.
Pete Callaghan

Linn Axis, Kinki, Hakai HW with Snakeoil OS, Boazu, Espeks

Lego
Very active member
Very active member
Posts: 773
Joined: 2007-04-18 11:42
Location: glasgow

Re: HAKAI Build Help?

Post by Lego » 2020-10-19 06:59

springwood64 wrote:
2020-10-18 23:02
WheresMyNaim wrote:
2020-10-18 21:49

Case, motherboard, RAM, DAC and SSDs on order. Select cables later. HW dealt with, SW to follow. Happy with the advice I've read and heard. New motherboard was a steal (and off my radar - thanks FPM). Distillation of sound advice is easy compared to finding out on my lonesome.

The Auralic is on the way back to my buddy.
Exciting! I'm sure you'll find it very satisfying.

It took me 2-3 weeks to get the software and network set up to my liking, partly because I had to rediscover my approach to listening to digital sources.

Before I started I had never heard of Qobuz or Radio Paradise, but these are now my main digital sources. I prefer them both to my ripped music stored on my NAS.
When you say you prefer Peter ,do you mean sound quality is better and if so what's the difference?
I know that tune

springwood64
Active member
Active member
Posts: 191
Joined: 2008-10-13 18:19
Location: Devon

Re: HAKAI Build Help?

Post by springwood64 » 2020-10-19 07:15

Lego wrote:
2020-10-19 06:59
When you say you prefer Peter ,do you mean sound quality is better and if so what's the difference?
Yes the sound quality of many of my ripped CDs is poorer than Qobuz. Not all of the them - but it's sufficiently hit and miss that I prefer to go straight to Qobuz. I have a few CDs that aren't available on Qobuz and fortunately they sound Ok.

I used a variety of tools over the years to produce these copies, settling on dbPoweramp in the end, but I don't know what I used for each CD. Unfortunately I threw away most of my CDs after copying them.

If you're interested I can create some recordings to illustrate the differences.
Pete Callaghan

Linn Axis, Kinki, Hakai HW with Snakeoil OS, Boazu, Espeks

Lego
Very active member
Very active member
Posts: 773
Joined: 2007-04-18 11:42
Location: glasgow

Re: HAKAI Build Help?

Post by Lego » 2020-10-19 20:16

springwood64 wrote:
2020-10-19 07:15
Lego wrote:
2020-10-19 06:59
When you say you prefer Peter ,do you mean sound quality is better and if so what's the difference?
Yes the sound quality of many of my ripped CDs is poorer than Qobuz. Not all of the them - but it's sufficiently hit and miss that I prefer to go straight to Qobuz. I have a few CDs that aren't available on Qobuz and fortunately they sound Ok.

I used a variety of tools over the years to produce these copies, settling on dbPoweramp in the end, but I don't know what I used for each CD. Unfortunately I threw away most of my CDs after copying them.

If you're interested I can create some recordings to illustrate the differences.
That's interesting,that would be great ,when you have the time thanks.But what was the difference?
I know that tune

springwood64
Active member
Active member
Posts: 191
Joined: 2008-10-13 18:19
Location: Devon

Re: HAKAI Build Help?

Post by springwood64 » 2020-10-20 12:30

Lego wrote:
2020-10-19 20:16

That's interesting,that would be great ,when you have the time thanks.But what was the difference?
Here's a couple of examples: https://photos.app.goo.gl/Qteh92G4sYAtH3bQ8

The differences vary considerably, as these illustrate. 1A and 1B I picked out because they really stand out. 2A and 2B I picked more or less at random.
Pete Callaghan

Linn Axis, Kinki, Hakai HW with Snakeoil OS, Boazu, Espeks

Lego
Very active member
Very active member
Posts: 773
Joined: 2007-04-18 11:42
Location: glasgow

Re: HAKAI Build Help?

Post by Lego » 2020-10-21 09:12

springwood64 wrote:
2020-10-20 12:30
Lego wrote:
2020-10-19 20:16

That's interesting,that would be great ,when you have the time thanks.But what was the difference?
Here's a couple of examples: https://photos.app.goo.gl/Qteh92G4sYAtH3bQ8

The differences vary considerably, as these illustrate. 1A and 1B I picked out because they really stand out. 2A and 2B I picked more or less at random.
Thanks for that Pete,great sound in both cases ..second track in both cases sounded better to me.
I've got different rips from same Album but different mastering and the differences can be night and day sometimes.
Check out Nick Drake on Tidal for me .You don't need to compare ,you'll just think Nick Drake was nothing special,it just sounds flat.I have his records and on vinyl he sounds very special.
I know that tune

OscarH
Active member
Active member
Posts: 195
Joined: 2019-03-14 10:57
Location: Exile on Dane St.

Re: HAKAI Build Help?

Post by OscarH » 2020-10-21 13:17

springwood64 wrote:
2020-10-20 12:30
Lego wrote:
2020-10-19 20:16

That's interesting,that would be great ,when you have the time thanks.But what was the difference?
Here's a couple of examples: https://photos.app.goo.gl/Qteh92G4sYAtH3bQ8

The differences vary considerably, as these illustrate. 1A and 1B I picked out because they really stand out. 2A and 2B I picked more or less at random.
Very good recordings, sounds almost like a direct line! I tend to get a lot of room effects in my clips.
What did you use?

springwood64
Active member
Active member
Posts: 191
Joined: 2008-10-13 18:19
Location: Devon

Re: HAKAI Build Help?

Post by springwood64 » 2020-10-21 17:07

OscarH wrote:
2020-10-21 13:17
Very good recordings, sounds almost like a direct line! I tend to get a lot of room effects in my clips.
What did you use?
I used my mobile phone, propped up on a bamboo stand.

However, playing back on the phone over via Google Photos, I don't hear the sort of differences that I hear in the room.

In the room 1A and 1B sound very different to each other: 1B sounds harsh and unpleasant.
Pete Callaghan

Linn Axis, Kinki, Hakai HW with Snakeoil OS, Boazu, Espeks

springwood64
Active member
Active member
Posts: 191
Joined: 2008-10-13 18:19
Location: Devon

Re: HAKAI Build Help?

Post by springwood64 » 2020-10-21 17:08

Lego wrote:
2020-10-21 09:12
Thanks for that Pete,great sound in both cases ..second track in both cases sounded better to me.
I've got different rips from same Album but different mastering and the differences can be night and day sometimes.
Check out Nick Drake on Tidal for me .You don't need to compare ,you'll just think Nick Drake was nothing special,it just sounds flat.I have his records and on vinyl he sounds very special.
In each case 'B' is my ripped copy and 'A' is Qobuz.

I'll check out Nick Drake ...
Pete Callaghan

Linn Axis, Kinki, Hakai HW with Snakeoil OS, Boazu, Espeks

Post Reply