Paaf
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Volumio.

Post by Paaf »

Sopper wrote: 2018-12-10 10:33 Doh...
I missed some steps in updating mpd.
Volumio installs MPD in /user/bin
All files related (/etc/init.d/mpd and /lib/systemd/system/mpd.service) point to that location.
Nice find! It probably explains why "make install"-ing different MPD versions didn't solve any bugs lol

Although... then it's an even bigger mystery why 0.20.23 was musically inferior, if it was installed in the "wrong" place and never used.
Sopper
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Sopper »

Paaf wrote: 2018-12-10 18:27
Nice find! It probably explains why "make install"-ing different MPD versions didn't solve any bugs lol

Although... then it's an even bigger mystery why 0.20.23 was musically inferior, if it was installed in the "wrong" place and never used.
I never made clips with the 0.20.23 version.
Only the 0.20.21 version and that one was installed with a Volumio buildscript
KÄLLA > Sagatun Mono 1.7 > Tundra Mono 3.0 > Graham LS8/1F
Cables: Trivium Audio Cables
Paaf
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Paaf »

No, I meant that I myself compared 0.20.21 and 0.20.23 (without clips) - or at least I thought I did. Obviously something else was going on at the time.
Paaf
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Paaf »

I installed 0.20.23 again and edited the two files you named to point to the correct MPD, and reboot.

For some reason MPD is not running now. The logs say:

Code: Select all

2018-12-10T20:10:35.733Z - error: Cannot read config.txt file: Error: ENOENT: no such file or directory, open '/boot/config.txt'
2018-12-10T20:10:36.540Z - info: Cannot read proc/cpuinfo: Error: Command failed: cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep Hardware
2018-12-10T20:10:36.574Z - info: Cannot initialize  MPD Connection: MPD is not running
Did you perform some additional steps?
Sopper
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Sopper »

Yes, i'll post the steps in just a moment.
Flojo confirmed that Kazoo and Volumio is running stable with MPD 0.20.23 after the path-editing.
So he is happy too (finally) and it's a reason now to share with the rest.
Sopper
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Sopper »

Once MPD 0.20.23 is installed follow these instructions to get it actually working:

Rename the old mpd, so it's not being used anymore

sudo mv /usr/bin/mpd /usr/bin/mpd_old
Cut some fat and save some space

sudo strip /usr/local/bin/mpd
Look for this line in this file and modify to new path

sudo nano /etc/init.d/mpd
DAEMON=/usr/local/bin/mpd (so you add "local")

Look for this line in this file and modify to new path and add the configuration location:

sudo nano /lib/systemd/system/mpd.service
ExecStart=/usr/local/bin/mpd --no-daemon /etc/mpd.conf

To activate the modifications you need to reload the daemons

systemctl daemon-reload
After reload, you restart mpd

systemctl restart mpd
Check if mpd is running properly

systemctl -l status mpd
Good luck!
Paaf
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Paaf »

Thank you!

This part was the only missing link for me: "/etc/mpd.conf" !

Not only does the playlist finally work for the first time(!) but it also sounds great!
flojo

Post by flojo »

Great work Sopper! My Volumio/Hakai with Kazoo on IoS has been playing without issues on MPD 0.20.21 since last night. Pausing, resuming, switching from 16 to 24 bits and back in one playlist: flawlessly. Next to that: switching from one control device to another works as well.
Sopper
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Sopper »

flojo wrote: 2018-12-11 07:26 Great work Sopper! My Volumio/Hakai with Kazoo on IoS has been playing without issues on MPD 0.20.21 since last night. Pausing, resuming, switching from 16 to 24 bits and back in one playlist: flawlessly. Next to that: switching from one control device to another works as well.
Good to hear!
I’m quite amazed myself too, everything works flawlessly, finally!

Native Qobuz in kazoo does not work for me, I e-mailed Jean Francois and asked to help me.
If that works too, I will put this ssd in a vault, haha
Paaf
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Paaf »

Web radio didn't work at all after the steps, but after a reboot it works.

It's actually better than before, now it starts the station after just one click instead of after several clicks.

Is your web gui queue in sync with your control app?
flojo

Post by flojo »

By the way: I configured the audio_buffer_size in MPD to 128kb, ending up in stuttering sound. Set the buffer to 1024kb: stuttering vanished.
Sopper
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Sopper »

I made a 2nd disk with Debian 9 stretch with latest MPD (0.21.3)
Will compare this with Volumio and MPD 0.20.23 and post clips when I have time to record.
flojo wrote: 2018-12-11 18:41 By the way: I configured the audio_buffer_size in MPD to 128kb, ending up in stuttering sound. Set the buffer to 1024kb: stuttering vanished.
You changed that in /etc/mpd.conf i reckon?
Wasnt it default 1024kb?
Streaming HR files, i need 2048kb and 20% pre-buffer
flojo

Post by flojo »

Sopper wrote: 2018-12-11 22:49 You changed that in /etc/mpd.conf i reckon?
Wasnt it default 1024kb?
Streaming HR files, i need 2048kb and 20% pre-buffer
Yes, I changed the mpd.conf in order to see hat would happen. As you know, the Volumio UI offers the possibility 128kb, ending up in 1024kb in the mpd.conf file. Default setting is 1024kb in mpd.conf.
Sopper wrote: 2018-12-11 22:49 I made a 2nd disk with Debian 9 stretch with latest MPD (0.21.3)
Will compare this with Volumio and MPD 0.20.23 and post clips when I have time to record.
Can you elaborate on this one?
1. Did you upgrade an existing Debian-Volumio version to Stretch and work from there?
2. Did you install Strech without Volumio and added MPD 0.21.3?
3. Other,...
Sopper
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Sopper »

flojo wrote: 2018-12-12 09:24 Yes, I changed the mpd.conf in order to see hat would happen. As you know, the Volumio UI offers the possibility 128kb, ending up in 1024kb in the mpd.conf file. Default setting is 1024kb in mpd.conf.
The ui offers 128kb, but this is in fact 1024kb (default in mpd.conf)
flojo wrote: 2018-12-12 09:24
Sopper wrote: 2018-12-11 22:49 I made a 2nd disk with Debian 9 stretch with latest MPD (0.21.3)
Can you elaborate on this one?
1. Did you upgrade an existing Debian-Volumio version to Stretch and work from there?
2. Did you install Strech without Volumio and added MPD 0.21.3?
3. Other,...
I was wondering why we are using Volumio.
They state that it is lightweight debian version with added ui and graphical options that make Volumio "audiophile"

The combination MPD and Upmpdcli is all we need to get music out of HAKAI and controlled by Kazoo.
I think Volumio's focus is not entirely on audio quality anymore; they focus on user experience more and more
They are working on voice control as example... im not intrested in 80% of their features, nor their web-ui or control app.
And why pay for Qobuz/Tidal integration in MyVolumio? Upmpdcli and MPD = free

I want a stable running MPD + Upmpdcli; so i figured i can run these without Volumio.
So i installed a light Debian 9 Stretch version and upgraded to latest programs/drivers/dependencies; latest MPD was easy to install now (unlike 0.20.23 version in Volumio based on debian Jessie)
Upmpdcli with Upmpdcli-Qobuz lets me use Qobuz in Kazoo natively,without needing to run a seperate server

Advantages:
I can pick my own linux version, so up-to-date
I can pick the latest MPD and Upmpdcli and dependencies
Since everything is up to date and the latest versions, everything works stable without issues

All that is left to do now is to strip this debian from unused/unneeded packages and compare its musical performance against Volumio
Paaf
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Paaf »

Sopper wrote: 2018-12-12 11:48 The combination MPD and Upmpdcli is all we need to get music out of HAKAI and controlled by Kazoo.
I agree! I was hoping someone would try this! :)

I will wait for your reports but of course I am very curious if you have any initial impressions regarding tunefulness.

Is it possible to play web radio via Kazoo? When I select it, there's only an empty screen.
Paaf
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Paaf »

Unexpected...

volumio@volumio:~$ mpd --version
Music Player Daemon 0.20.23
volumio@volumio:~$ mpc version
mpd version: 0.20.22
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

Paaf wrote: 2018-12-12 16:27 Unexpected...

volumio@volumio:~$ mpd --version
Music Player Daemon 0.20.23
volumio@volumio:~$ mpc version
mpd version: 0.20.22
Is it possible that you have 2 instances of mpd installed, and mpc is configured to the wrong one?
Paaf
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Paaf »

It is a good theory, however 0.20.22 was never in my HAKAI. There is the old version that comes with Volumio, and I previously installed 0.20.21 and now I have installed 0.20.23.

Regarding web radio:
Using mpc, I can play web radio stations, and also save playlists of such, which I can then load again. If I load such a playlist with mpc, the stations are then in the queue in the apps. I haven't yet found a way to list or load those playlists into the queue via app.
Sopper
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Sopper »

To login into Qobuz or Tidal using Kazoo (natively)
Follow these instructions from Jean Francois:

Upmpdcli uses the openssl command to perform the cryptography work. This was not made a hard dependancy, so you should check that it is installed. Unfortunately, I was only able to make things work with a fairly recent version of OpenSSL (1.1). This is available in Debian Stretch (9.x), but not Jessie (8.x) (on which Volumio, for example is based at this moment (12-2018)). If you are running Jessie, there is a fairly easy workaround available by building a static version of openssl and telling upmpdcli what version to use.

Annex: building openssl for Debian Jessie

The OHCredentials service needs OpenSSL 1.1 but Debian Jessie only has 1.0. The following recipee builds a static version of the openssl command, which is installed with a specific name (upmpdcli-openssl). No libraries are installed and the standard command is left undisturbed, so that there is no risk of damaging the system.

Note that I am making no claims about the security of the encryption provided by this method. This should be fairly sufficient for a Qobuz password going around your local network though (except maybe if you think that the NSA is interested in your playlists).

sudo apt install git make gcc
cd
git clone https://github.com/openssl/openssl.git
cd openssl
git checkout -b origin/OpenSSL_1_1_0-stable
./config
make
cc -o upmpdcli-openssl apps/*.o  libssl.a libcrypto.a -ldl -lpthread
sudo cp upmpdcli-openssl /usr/bin
Then edit /etc/upmpdcli.conf and add the following:

opensslcmd = /usr/bin/upmpdcli-openssl
We chose to copy the command to /usr/bin, but this could be any place. Change the path in /etc/upmpdcli.conf in this case.

Restart upmpdcli, and the logins from Kazoo should work.

I reported the bug and JF updated his upmpdcli website with these instructions.
Haven't tested it myself yet…

EDIT: This needs the new Upmpdcli version (1.3.8) (sudo apt-get update and sudo apt-get upgrade or (more safe) sudo apt-get install upmpdcli)
Last edited by Sopper on 2018-12-13 16:18, edited 3 times in total.
Sopper
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Sopper »

It didn’t work for me, so I e-mailed Jean Francois with my findings.

EDIT: This needs the new Upmpdcli version (1.3.8) (sudo apt-get update and sudo apt-get upgrade or (more safe) sudo apt-get install upmpdcli)
Last edited by Sopper on 2018-12-13 16:19, edited 3 times in total.
Sopper
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Sopper »

Paaf wrote: 2018-12-12 12:59
Is it possible to play web radio via Kazoo? When I select it, there's only an empty screen.
About the radios: Kazoo is very picky about the radio list. There is a problem radio in the default list in upmpdcli 1.3, because it has no URI (this prevents all radios from showing). If you are using the default list, please get rid of this entry:

[radio Radio Paradise (flac)]
artUrl = https://www.radioparadise.com/graphics/fb_logo.png
metaScript = radio-paradise-get-flac.py

This is fixed in the master branch (upmpdcli generates a bogus uri), but the fix was not merged into 1.3 yet

With regards from Jean Francois :)
Paaf
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Paaf »

Very cool. Radio doesn't go in MPD playlists then. Thank you!

I removed the one he said, and then it works, and modifying the list also works. In the Kazoo list it says they are all 48k but luckily they are not. :)
Sopper
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Sopper »

JF has released new version Upmpdcli 1.3.8 for kazoo bug
(also new upmpdcli-qobuz or tidal or gmusic)

I can confirm that Qobuz works in Kazoo now (native, without the need of a server) and radio as well.
Paaf
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Paaf »

Nice, I updated. I can confirm that lossless Radio Paradise now works.
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

Great progress. Just waiting on the Nano160 to get here - was out of stock at time of ordering - then I can get on with my own Hakai build. This thread will be invaluable!

If I get this right, we now have a myriad of options:
Volumio; default MPD (Jessie)
Volumio; 0.20.xx MPD (Jessie)
upmpdcli and 0.21.xx MPD (Stretch)

The above would be with media server on a NAS, and a DS-style control point. Additionally, NAS & Volumio can be configured to use NFS; bypassing the media server on the NAS with control through the Volumio UI... Is that about right? Seems like MPD can also be configured to use NFS, either running on the Hakai, or on the NAS as a (music) file server, but I'm unclear what the 'control point' would be for these...

I've used NFS to copy my music files from old- to new-NAS, and am happy with minimserver running on Debian Stretch on the NAS. BubbleDS Next works nicely on my Android devices, but will compare with Kazoo once the Hakai is up & running. At the moment, my preference will be to build the Hakai using Stretch, and latest upmpdcli & MPD - should give me a bit more control than the Volumio install too. Hopefully it sounds as good or better than Volumio.

Sopper, do you install Debian with a lightweight desktop environment on your Hakai, or just use the command line for everything ... or do you enable SSH from the beginning and do everything remotely -> headless Hakai?