Gaio 2.4 into Linn Kairn Aktiv Kaber system.

Conversations about Lejonklou Products and this Forum

Moderator: Staff

RobDodds

Gaio 2.4 into Linn Kairn Aktiv Kaber system.

Post by RobDodds »

I've got a chance of putting a used Gaio 2.4 into my system which is LP12, Ekos, AT95ML, late model Kairn, Akurate 4200/2200, Aktiv Kabers. Will the Gaio blow away the internal MM stage of the Kairn and be a big improvement in musicality and transparency?
Zee9

Re: Gaio 2.4 into Linn Kairn Aktiv Kaber system.

Post by Zee9 »

We use Kabers and used to have them aktiv and exakt with Akurate amps.

Without sounding offensive if you want the Kabers to be more engaging, more fun is suggest getting rid of the Akurate amps. As good as they are they make the Kabers sound too thin and dry.

A lejonklou tundra (even a single amp with passive Kabers sound more engaging to us) but if you do want to stay with Linn amps then id suggest Klouts or Majik-I’s.

The mm stage in the Kairn is very good but I haven’t heard a Lejonklou phononstage as yet to give you honest advice.
Last edited by Zee9 on 2024-04-21 13:36, edited 1 time in total.
1. LP12/Selekt/AK/0(d)/TS 2.5/kabers+RelT7i
2. WiiM/AK/1(d)/TS 2.2/Kan II
3. Genki/Kairn/5105/Kabers
springwood64
Very active member
Very active member

Post by springwood64 »

Pete

Linn LP12 (Lingo1, Kore, Karousel, Akito1, Tramp2), Slipsik, Källa, Boazu, Espeks
RobDodds

Post by RobDodds »

Thanks for the advice. I appreciated the advice to spend £3500+ on new amps. Maybe one for the future. Fortunately the seller has allowed me to borrow the Gaio 2.4 for a few days so I'm about to try it now. I can't believe how tiny it is!
springwood64
Very active member
Very active member

Post by springwood64 »

Ha! No that wasn't my meaning. I saw this sentence:
You need a Gaio to better the Linn MM board.
But it's definitely best to listen for yourself if you can. Only you can judge if it's worth the difference.
Pete

Linn LP12 (Lingo1, Kore, Karousel, Akito1, Tramp2), Slipsik, Källa, Boazu, Espeks
RobDodds

Post by RobDodds »

Hi Pete, I wasn't suggesting that you wanted me to spend £3500+. Your advice was well understood and directed me to a useful post by Frederik. There was another reply telling me to get a Tundra which might well be nice but I've frankly just got my Kabers singing by activating them. I'm also only looking to spend £300!
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

How does Gaio compare then Rod?

Do you have the final Kairn PSU version? Late version Kairn MM can still sound very good if amp is not too tired.

Slipsik 8 pulled a long way ahead of Gaio when I compared. Now got Slipsik.
RobDodds

Post by RobDodds »

First listen..it's better but I'm not feeling great so proper listen will have to wait a bit then I'll swap it back out for an A-B. TBH even if it's only slightly better,it opens up the possibility of replacing preamp in the future with KK or Lejonklou equivalent.

My original1 Kairn power supply failed so it went back to Linn and they had to replace the power supply, main board and case. In practice, possibly the last Kairn they ever made.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Fair enough, hope you feel better soon.

If you listen to a lot of vinyl then recommend getting Slipsik and spending less on a preamp. As much as I enjoyed the Gaio, I doubt it will be a lot better than Kairn (and you are asking if it will ‘blow away’ Kairn) although Kairn isn’t big on transparency so that aspect could be a decent step forward. I just feel bang-for-buck the Slipsik was better value for money - it will also give your mm some mc qualities and active Kabers will need a good signal. You have much more chance of ‘blowing away’ Kairn with Slipsik in the mix. I run an ML and Adikt btw, on different LP12s.

Kk is great but you could also consider the 2-input superkikkin in same small box as phono stages (that would look neat), or a used Sagatun Stereo but think it needs to be latest 1.7 to beat superkikkin - perhaps someone can confirm as not 100% sure
RobDodds

Post by RobDodds »

I'm sure Slipsik would be better.However I've just spent a lot updating LP12 with Karousel, Kore T-Kable and 4200 & 2200 Akurate amps and Aktiv cards and am cleaned out. The chance of Gaio for £300 has come up and I can stretch to it. So it's Gaio or nothing.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Ok, clear now.

I suppose if you’re buying it second hand then you won’t lose out, so happy days either way.

Longer term it’s well worth saving up for Slipsik 8.
sktn77a

Post by sktn77a »

Unless you plan to upgrade the cartridge in the near future, I'd stick with the Kairn phono stage.
Keith
LP12, Ekos, VM760, Slipsik 7.1, NDX2, 252, 250, Aerial 5B, LS3/5a, Harbeth M30, Gallo TR3D
RobDodds

Post by RobDodds »

So I bought the Gaio 2.4. The Kairn MM stage was not totally embarrassed but the music is now easier to listen to, and the bass goes deeper and more in tune.

I figure that I won't lose any money on the Gaio if it were to trade it in against a Slipsik and Superkikkin to replace the Kairn, should funds become available.

I fitted the Rig-B modified body to the AT VM95ML and this improved it a lot. My dream moving magnet is the AT 540 range fitted in the Trig-B body which conforms to Linn 3-point fixing. One day maybe...

I'm very happy with the Kabers now that they're aktiv. I don't see anything else that does what they do in such a domestically acceptable format that can go close to a wall.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Thanks for letting us know how you got on, especially Gaio vs Kairn.

I tried the VM540ML for a short while. The Hi-Fi stuff improved as you'd expect so it was cleaner sounding and had more punchy bass. However, whilst AT confirmed it should be OK on my Ekos, it didn't engage me like the previous VM95ML so my dealer swapped it out for an Adikt which I still have and enjoy very much. Just my 2 pence - you might prefer it.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

I’m happy to hear you like the Gaio, RobDodds!