Conversations about Lejonklou Products and this Forum

Moderator: Staff

Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Superkikkin

Post by Spannko »

macrotech2 wrote: 2023-10-02 21:55
Spannko wrote: 2023-10-02 18:07 That makes it unbelievably good value for money!
How so? Fredrik is saying it’s not as good as the Monos isn’t he?
I got the impression that Fredrik is saying that the Superkikkin 2 @ €2050 is better than the Giella π @ €2250, which I believe he has said is better than a Sagatun stereo @ about €3000?
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

I don’t have any Sagatun to compare with, so I’m unsure of those comparisons. But I do think Superkikkin is better than Giella Pi 1.2.

Sagatun Mono’s are the best.
Mitmu

Post by Mitmu »

Spannko wrote: 2023-10-02 18:07 That makes it unbelievably good value for money!
But how many SK' would you get for a set of Mono's?
Harbeth Compact 7ES-3 40th-SuperKikkin-Kalla-Tundra 2.5
macrotech2
Very active member
Very active member

Post by macrotech2 »

Mitmu wrote: 2023-10-03 07:31
But how many SK' would you get for a set of Mono's?
No doubt it is excellent value for money (as all Fredrik's products are) - I just got the impression that Spannko had interpreted Fredrik as saying that SK was better than Sagatun Monos. No problem, all cleared up now by the man himself!
Källa/Sagatun Mono Tarandus/Tundra Mono 3/Avalon Idea Mk2
Mitmu

Post by Mitmu »

Status update of Superkikkin 004 which has been playing for almost a week in my system...:)

The start had a slight bump in the road, my Kalla decided to not start up any more, but with the lightning fast service of both Marco and Frederik this will be solved very quickly and I got Marco's Kalla at home for the time being! Fantastic service!

But then to the SK, in the beginning, like the experience with the TM3, it needs some time to run in clearly, straight from the box a bit dull and boring. But now after a week it has transformed, so open, airy, the stage is huge, again I am rediscovering my music, foot tapping all the way! I think this is the best my system sounded ever, the step from de ADSM to SK and KALLA has revived my hobby a lot, more to the music instead of to the components. A lot of fun this small little box is creating here, and again, simplicity is key, great job Frederik!
Harbeth Compact 7ES-3 40th-SuperKikkin-Kalla-Tundra 2.5
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Thank you Mitmu!

The Superkikkin's are shipping, but as is often the case when a product is brand new, it's going a bit slow. I have a final tuning manual that I keep revising with each unit I build and then I like to measure and listen to each one carefully. Once I get familiar with the design and get a feel for exactly how it should sound, things tend to speed up a bit.

Three units are leaving for North America tomorrow. Then two units are going to Indonesia and one to France.

Looking forward to more comments!
knoslean

Post by knoslean »

Superkikkin. I put this magic little amp in my ”second system”; replacing an amp from a well known brand. I was really happy with what I had, but got the opportunity to spend some time with the Superkikkin, and ...now music REALLY swings. And ”second system”? The order of systems suddenly turned meaningless. .

(Källa, Superkikkin, an old Naim NAP100, a pair of Harbeth P3’s, Linn cables.) Best Buy, as they say in those audiophile magazines.
LP12 | Entity | Källa | Sagatun 1.7 | Tundra 2 |  Boenicke W8
Lemmy

Post by Lemmy »

lejonklou wrote: 2023-10-02 16:59
macrotech2 wrote: 2023-10-02 14:47
lejonklou wrote: 2023-09-23 13:44
Yes!
... but not the Sagatun Monos?
No
For those of us with a limited experience of other Lejonklou pre amps:
Does anyone know how it compares to a Klimax Kontrol/1?
macrotech2
Very active member
Very active member

Post by macrotech2 »

It will crucify it!
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

Lemmy wrote: 2023-10-13 18:06 Does anyone know how it compares to a Klimax Kontrol/1?
AFAIK, Sagatun Stereo (SS) is superior to KK and SK is superior to SS.

Matt
Matt

MBP / Exposure pre + power (both modified) / JBL3677
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Crucify it might be a bit strong. The KK/1 was a very good preamp and one that I happily used for years. When the Sagatuns first came out I would say the SS 1.0 was pretty even with the KK/1 with some things better and others not quite as good. I felt it was more musical overall but it was close as demonstrated by a demo before 16 people where half liked SS a bit better and half were not sure. The SM 1.0 was easily more musical and better in every way than the KK/1 and SS. When the Tarandus upgrade came out (SS 1.3) I felt that it had gotten enough better to definitively beat the KK/1.

I don't have a Superkikkin yet, although a bunch are on the way, so I haven't been able to do a comparison with the SS. But I found the Giella ∏ to be a little better than the SS so the Superkikkin should be better yet. Still the Sagatun Mono 1.4 is easily the king of the hill. But at the price the Supperkikkin appears to be insane value for money in music enjoyment terms.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
macrotech2
Very active member
Very active member

Post by macrotech2 »

ThomasOK wrote: 2023-10-14 01:08 Crucify it might be a bit strong.
Possibly 😊 - I’ll be interested to hear your impressions when you get the chance. The improvement for me from Klimax Kontrol to Sagatun Mono was massive.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

macrotech2 wrote: 2023-10-14 06:49
ThomasOK wrote: 2023-10-14 01:08 Crucify it might be a bit strong.
Possibly 😊 - I’ll be interested to hear your impressions when you get the chance. The improvement for me from Klimax Kontrol to Sagatun Mono was massive.
Well, yeah. But Superkikkin isn't quite at Sagatun Mono level from my understanding.
The LP12 Whisperer
willem kuis

Post by willem kuis »

ThomasOK wrote: 2023-10-14 01:08 But I found the Giella ∏ to be a little better than the SS so the Superkikkin should be better yet. Still the Sagatun Mono 1.4 is easily the king of the hill. But at the price the Supperkikkin appears to be insane value for money in music enjoyment terms.
This is what reviewer Werner Ero wrote about the comparison between the SS and Giella Pi

Quote:
Listen Giella PI with Tundra 2.5

The impressively natural presentation of the Giella as a headphone amplifier naturally made me very curious about how this device would behave as a preamplifier. For this I connect the remarkably small box to the Lejonklou Tundra 2.5 stereo power amplifier. For a direct A/B confrontation, I also have the Lejonklou Sagatun 1.4 preamplifier at hand. Although this does not initially seem to be a fair comparison due to the considerably higher price of the latter, things are put into a different perspective because the Sagatun does have remote control operation and more sources can be connected to it. As I had hoped and had more or less expected given my experience with Fredrik's products, the Giella PI appears to respond exactly the same as a preamplifier as it does in its role as a headphone amplifier. So I hear that completely natural, smooth and complete sound again from the Tundra 2.5 power amplifier. A reproduction that combines a greater tonal softness than usual with the brand, with a very attractive, relaxed and pure reproduction, which makes it remarkably long to listen to. When the Giella is exchanged with the Sagatun, the stereo image immediately becomes larger and more expansive, the reproduction is more clearly defined and there is more dynamic punch and tightness in the reproduction. But… that completely relaxed, flowing and very natural character of the Giella PI is not quite achieved by this veteran winner!

And….
With the Giella PI with Tundra 2.5 combination, the theatrical, sometimes almost oppressive atmosphere of this song is reproduced with a lot of feeling and layering. The many stacked electronic effects are reproduced with remarkable clarity and a wonderful sense of drama. The goal of being able to completely lose yourself in this music therefore seems extra impressive. With the more expensive and more specific Sagatun 1.4, an even larger image is immediately created, with more layers, details and tension, and the definition is even higher. However, I think that the taste factor will increasingly come into play here. Because how do you want to consume music? On the edge of your seat (Sagatun) with maximum urgency or perhaps more 'earthy' and ultimately fluid and relaxed. The choice is yours.

Unquote

Just curious: Would the SK combine the characteristics of the SS and the PI in one package for two thirds of the last known retailprice of a SS?

Or, is the choice between SS and SK a matter of taste (as reviewer Werner Ero suggests)?
Källa 1.0 # Sagatun 1.7 # Tundra 2.5 # Spec RSA 901-EX # Harbeth Super HL5+XD # REL Strata III
mrco99
Very active member
Very active member

Post by mrco99 »

Hi Willem,

Always let your own ears do the judging - the proof is in the listening.
Happy to hear from you if you want to try out Superkikkin against your Sagatun...
Distributor of Lejonklou | Aqua | Graham Audio | Klangedang | NOKTable | Ophidian | The Wand
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

I can't yet give you a full picture of Superkikkin vs. Sagatun stereo, but I did just get the first shipment of Superkikkin units in a few days ago and my demo version has been in my system since they arrived. I can say that it sounds quite wonderful.

A little more info is necessary here. I had a customer who really wanted to buy my personal Sagatun Monos so I sold them to him. Although I have a new pair in stock I decided not to put them into my system and instead keep them as stock in case one of my dealers gets a sale for a full 4 pack. So I put my personal Giella ∏ in the system. It was quite good but I was definitely missing my SMs. When I hooked up the Superkikkin I was immediately pleased with how musical it was. A definite and immediate improvement even though it was cold. I have been quite enjoying it since then and it sounds really good.

Personally I don't break things down like the reviewer above did, I just felt the Giella ∏ was more musical than Sagatun stereo even though both are really good preamplifiers. I find the Superkikkin just plain better than Giella ∏. If I get some time after working on my latest batch of upgrades I might be able to make a couple of clips. (But I also have to make a new dealer newsletter announcing the availability of the Superkikkin and including updated price lists. So no promises.)
The LP12 Whisperer
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

Wow: considering the SM shoes the SK was filling, and the enjoyment it's delivering, that's praise indeed!

ThomasOK wrote: 2023-10-20 23:20 .. I can say that [Superkikkin] sounds quite wonderful.

.. I had a customer who really wanted to buy my personal Sagatun Monos so I sold them... I put my personal Giella ∏ in the system. It was quite good but I was definitely missing my SMs. When I hooked up the Superkikkin I was immediately pleased with how musical it was. A definite and immediate improvement even though it was cold. I have been quite enjoying it since then and it sounds really good.
Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Hermann »

Thanks for the first impression Tom.

music examples are very welcome...

A comparison of SM and SK should be all the more interesting. I still suspect a not too distant upgrade to the Sagatun Monos
Trust your ears
Jamtown

Post by Jamtown »

Anyone else have any impressions of the SK? Dabbling with purchasing one. Curious to learn more on how the Volume control works via the remote. I am trying to replace a crappy digital VC straight from Innuos Pulse to Amp.
lunch

Post by lunch »

Well, for what it’s worth, I changed from an LP12 via Entity and KDSM/2 organic as preamp and replaced the DSM with Superkikkin in my now all-analog vinyl playback chain. I was suprised by the magnitude of the upgrade this was. I still pinch myself and think what good move that leap of faith was. All round more engaging, dynamic playback. I just instant get into the msic and actively enjoy more than I did. I don’t know how to express it other than it just grabs me more and pulls me into the music.

Oh, and volume control via remote? Goes perfectly with analog vinyl playback. It’s the only way, really. Volume up, volume down, mute and half-mute. What’s not to like? And volume up some more…
I’d say it’s both super and kickin’!
LP12 - Karousel - ARadikal - Keel - Ekos SE - Kandid - Entity
KDSM
SuperKikkin
Solos
Akubariks
Jamtown

Post by Jamtown »

thank you for the reply. Sounds like a great piece of equipment. I using a digital volume control at the moment so I think almost anything would be an improvement. I have an Entity on my analog rig, but decided to add digital a few months back and now realizing the limitations of the VC straight from the Innuos to my amp. Have my sights set on this but might not be in time since I think this a limited production unit?
mrco99
Very active member
Very active member

Post by mrco99 »

Hi Jamtown,

Production of Superkikkin is limited to 100 units worldwide.
Not sure about US sales as for Europe we're around no. #030-#035 so there still some time ro save up and order.

Haven't heard a DVC yet that musically could keep up with Superkikkin so imho definately worth to try and put this on your audition list.

Stay healthy and take care - to all btw - and best wishes for 2024.

Marco
Distributor of Lejonklou | Aqua | Graham Audio | Klangedang | NOKTable | Ophidian | The Wand
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Yes, there are 100 being built. Numbers are sequential whether US, UK or Europe and those listed (30-35) are higher than what I have here. I expect the 100 should last for a reasonable amount of time.
Last edited by ThomasOK on 2024-01-02 20:30, edited 1 time in total.
The LP12 Whisperer
Jamtown

Post by Jamtown »

Thanks guys appreciate the responses. If these sell out do you think there will be another preamp made? I would imagine there would be if it's so well received.
PerFlemming

Post by PerFlemming »

I sold on my early Kikkin ages ago.
Sometime I regretted

This SuperKikkin could be my rescue.
Two inputs are fab.
Thanks