Moderator: Staff

lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Kikkin 2

Post by lejonklou »

Now it's official:

http://www.lejonklou.com/?news=73

A new version of Kikkin is released the 1st of November: Kikkin 2. A tremendous amount of testing has resulted in five hardware upgrades and a new software.

The main benefit is a cleaner sound. Less harshness in the highs, less grain in the mid and bass. Not that I ever felt the original version sounded grainy, but in direct comparison, now it does. The result of this "cleaning up" is that the music is more fun to listen to.

The SLEEP issue of the first version (that Kikkin sounded slightly better with the volume light on) has now been reversed: Kikkin 2 sounds a little better with SLEEP activated and the light will fade out after 3 seconds (previously 10).

The price of Kikkin rises with version 2, to 7500 SEK or 750€. Upgrading an original version costs the same amount as the price increase: 1600 SEK or 160€ (shipping costs might be added).

For enthusiasts on a tight budget, the original version of Kikkin will remain for sale during 2009. Its original price remains as well: 5900 SEK or 590€.

I want to express my gratitude to everyone who have commented on the performance of the original Kikkin! Your feedback has been highly valuable and I am very much looking forward to the reviews of the new version.
Komri

Post by Komri »

Exciting news! :)
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Great stuff Fredrik - you must be very pleased to have been able to make improvements and still keep the price so low in relation to performance. Conscientious upgrade pricing too. Look forward to hearing it :D
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Congratulations Fredrik. Always good to hear that progress in musical performance is being made. Your upgrade policy on this is quite generous too. I look forward to reading the positive comments.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

I forgot to mention one thing:

UK models of Kikkin can also be upgraded with my new UK power cord. The difference is very worthwhile on a Kikkin and the cost is just 20€ extra.

I managed to buy the last stock of this obsolete Volex model and it's the best UK power cord I've heard. It doesn't have a connector, so it can't be used with products that have IEC sockets and use detachable power cords. I won't sell it separately either, as I want them for my own products.

Please note that this only applies to UK models. The latest UK Kinki phono preamps that were sold have been fitted with this power cord.
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Lego »

Great news Fredrik how did you come about the improvements,was it a Eureka moment?
I know that tune
pär

Post by pär »

I must say that Kikkin 2 is like kikkin 1 boost with bigbrother dynamik installed :wink: I can strongly rekomand all kikkin owners to update to kikkin 2 ASP. Thanks Fredrik for another great produkt !
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Thank you, Komri, Charlie, Thomas and Pär!
Lego wrote:Great news Fredrik how did you come about the improvements,was it a Eureka moment?
It would sound cooler if I said it was, but it was mostly trial and error. I did many attempts to improve the original Kikkin with things that appeared to be good ideas. But none of them worked, somehow the balanced was tipped in one way or another and the sound became less tuneful than before.

One thing that kept bugging me was the detail that Kikkin sounded slightly better when the logic drew a bit of current (preferly from the volume indicator on the front). It contradicted my understanding of things and I just had to find the reason behind it. Eventually I found it. The change that was required resulted in a less distorted sound, regardless of whether SLEEP was activated or not. And suddenly SLEEP mode was a tiny bit better instead of worse - quite a relief that it finally responded the way I expected it to!

Following that, I tried retuning all parameters. Most were unchanged, but some had to be altered to make Kikkin perform optimally. Four changes turned out to be necessary.

Actually I did have one "Eureka!" moment one night when I was falling asleep. I got a dream-like vision of a simpler design, one that wouldn't require a lot of fine tuning (which the Kikkin does). It could have become a 'Kikkin light' with a lower price, similar to the phono stage Kinki, that isn't individually tuned.

I started building a proto of it during the next day, with a creeping feeling that it might not work well for a lot of reasons... When it was finished and I listened to it, it had quite a nice and clean sound. But no swing, no emotion. There wasn't much that could be tuned in it, so I just dropped it. I hope that my next Eureka moment will be more rewarding! :lol:
k_numigl
Very active member
Very active member

Post by k_numigl »

No comment, sorry, rather a question.

I'm one of those who do not need all the switching of a normal
pre amp, but use one source and need only the volume control.
So I seem to be made for the kikkin. Or better: vice versa.
EXCEPT that I want to listen and simultaneously record what I
hear since I got some digital stuff as well. The Linto was
very nice for this with its two output sockets. Actually I am
using the 'tape out' of my pre.
Now my question is: Can´t I solve this problem by simply
making a y-cable that connects the output of the phono stage
to both kikkin and recording ADC? (Or a similar solution.)
Both have a high input impedance, so
the load on the phono stage is not much (but: what is much?)
different. Would one expect an immediate musical desaster, or
would it be worthwhile to have a try?

Regards, Klaus
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Yes, this will work just fine. An Y-cable can be used as long as only one source is involved. I don't know what phono stage you are using, but most of them can be connected to several inputs with very little impact on sound quality.

Another way is to make the cable as a serial link (an M instead of an Y): Take one interconnect and in the receiver end (that you connect to Kikkin) you add another interconnect that goes to the recording ADC. This will probably sound a bit better than an Y cable. And this is also how Linn connects their multi-amped systems; from preamp to the first power amp. Then to the next power amp, and to the next. And if you have a subwoofer, it should be added last in this chain.
LinnLizzy

Post by LinnLizzy »

I have a Kikkin and wish to upgrade with the UK POwer cord, what is the easiest way to do this?
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

By sending an email to info - at - lejonklou.com! :)
pär

Post by pär »

Happy birthday kikkin is one year to day ! :D
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Thanks Pär!

Didn't keep track of that.
Linncredible

Post by Linncredible »

Ok, fine, Lejonklou Kikkin 2 is in place and what can I say but:

1. A fantastic upgrade - regardless of price! Taking the price into account the upgrade is of course extremely affordable. A big improvement in terms of musicality, easiness when it comes to following the tune and to understand the music (precision AND flow is words that comes to my mind) and also a "bigger” sound. Will be interesting to see how the performance evolves during the break in period. Both I and my fiancé are to sum it up experiencing a huge improvement from Kikkin 1 – and then please take into account that Kikkin 1 was GOOD (my old Kairn was absolutely no match at all for Kikkin 1)! Outstanding work Fredrik!

2. If “Lejonklou Inc” would make an inquiry for a Customer Satisfaction Index with a scale of 0-100 I would personally give the grade ... let’s see now ... approximately 117! Very quick, nice, competent service etc. and, as stated above, great price/performance!

If you have a Kikkin 1 it's a total no-brainer to upgrade to Kikkin 2 - just do it!
k_numigl
Very active member
Very active member

Questions: burn in, solid base?

Post by k_numigl »

I will be receiving a Kikkin shortly, and wonder whether it
needs burn in time or not, and if so, for what time span approx.
Second question is, if anyone tried to place it on a suspended
vs. rigid surface and what sounded best.

Regards, Klaus
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Klaus,

as every Kikkin is checked by ear against a reference before it's delivered, I have a lot of experience with burn-in and warm-up. To my ears, both these effects are small. The units sound fine right out of the box.

When the circuit boards arrive straight from the soldering process, however, the effect of burn-in becomes a bit more pronounced. Usually the character is a bit stiff and gradually relaxes as the soldered joints settle. I'm curious about how the brand new KINKI3's that arrive next week will sound, compared to my prototype reference.

Regarding placement, my small boxes are clearly affected by how they are placed. I prefer them on a Mimer Shelf :mrgreen:, where it's actually possible to fit four in a row! I'm not sure about rigid versus suspended, maybe you can tell us more about that?

When Kikkin gets evaluated in Linn systems, people often seem to put them beside a Linn AV-sized box. This is convenient but not optimal for sound. I've found it usually sounds better if you place it centrally on top of the AV box.
doze84

Post by doze84 »

Can this one drive a small pair of speakers, like unik+sub or my cresta 10 (90db)?
trumpeten

Post by trumpeten »

Congratulations!

Just read the review in Hifi&Musik as well, good publicity!

What power amps are recomended with the Kikkin2? I am currently running an Classik Musik (LK size) and as a christmas gift to myself I bought a pair of Linn Ninkas. Would Kikkin2+LK140 or Kikkin2+AV2250 make any sense, will it be a considerable improvement over the Classik? Any other brands of power amps rather than Linn one should test (while waiting for a Lejonklou poweramp)?
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Sorry for the late reply, having some days off and enjoying the snow.

doze84: No, Kikkin can't drive a speaker directly. They demand too much current, as their impedance is normally around 4-8 ohms. And a power amplifier (which Kikkin is designed to drive) has an input impedance that's 1000 times higher!

trumpeten: Thanks! Yes, LK140 and 2250 works fine. So does 5105. All of those are stereo amps. There might be some non-Linn amps that are worthy of consideration, but these last few years I haven't looked around as much as I used to. So I don't have anything to recommend.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

NEW FIRMWARE for Kikkin

A new firmware for our Kikkin volume control has been released. It adds functionality and slightly improves the sound of Kikkin 2.

Functionality: The mute button now has a dual function. Press quickly to lower the volume by ten steps. Any button (MUTE or VOL) will return the volume to normal. Press longer for a complete muting of the sound.

This dual function is practically useful in situations where you want to lower the volume momentarily. For instance when trying to hear what someone says, searching for a particular song or cleaning the stylus.

Sound: Kikkin 2 will benefit from a slighly cleaner sound, due to the digital processor shutting down completely when Kikkin 2 goes to sleep. Kikkin 1 doesn't really benefit from this, as it still sounds slightly better when the unit is awake (volume light on).

Price: All units can be upgraded to the cost of 300 SEK/€30/£30 plus shipping. Contact your retailer or Lejonklou to order the upgrade.

All units sold during 2010 will be upgraded for FREE (return shipping only).
The firmware update is from today included in the upgrade to Kikkin 2.

A big thanks to Linntek on the forum for his invaluable programming expertise!
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

trumpeten wrote:Congratulations!

Just read the review in Hifi&Musik as well, good publicity!
I'm looking at various book stores located in the United States for this particular magazine publication. I would like to read the article mentioned above... 8) !
Tony Tune-age
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

The magazine is not available on the net, as you've probably noticed.

I really should put up a copy of that review on my website. Thanks for reminding me of that!

But... do you read Swedish? Or do I have to translate it all? :lol:
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

lejonklou wrote:The magazine is not available on the net, as you've probably noticed. I really should put up a copy of that review on my website. Thanks for reminding me of that! But... do you read Swedish? Or do I have to translate it all? :lol:
No sir, I don't read or speak Swedish... :wink: . However, I certainly would appreciate a translation Lejonklou 8) .
Tony Tune-age
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

At the moment I don't have the time to translate the entire article.

I did translate their final conclusion and put it under News at the website.