Kikkin 2

Conversations about Lejonklou Products and this Forum

Moderator: Staff

psmith

Post by psmith »

One other relevant point is this: the Kikkin is close enough to an Akurate Kontrol that I can't justify the expenditure on the Akurate. So if I'm to beat the Kikkin I need to spend the bread on something that is significantly better. Maybe a Klimax Kontrol is the next logical step above a Kikkin. But look at the price, even used. Rational use of my money suggests I should keep the Kikkin until I can afford a Klimax Kontrol, if ever.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

I know what you mean ref AK pricing vs Kikkin. Kikkin is just not playing by the same rules! :) I own Kikkin and KK/1 for reasons I won't bore you with. Whilst the KK/1 is superb, I would opt for a good source upgrade over KK/1. KK/1 does nice things and makes music more accessible, but doesn't really affect me to the level that good source upgrades have done. This is just my view and you may experience things differently. Maybe with more revealing playback I might feel differently (this was Klimax LP12/6100/aktiv Ninkas).

Out of curiosity, is the AK on loan? Presume you already have the Radikal for your LP12?
psmith

Post by psmith »

Yes, a very kind dealer, Infidelity in Richmond, has borrowed me the AK. I like it but if I'm going to spend that kind of bread on a preamp a used KK is probably more sensible. I certainly don't need all that multi-channel stuff.

As regards my Sondek, no, I decided not to Radikalise it after several listening sessions. I am happily listening to a Technics SL1210 which has audibly better speed stability than the Radikal Sondek and my Lingo Sondek. The Technics has an external power supply, and my very nice Ekos 2 is mounted on it. Soon my Arkiv Boron will return from Expert Stylus, and the Technics may end up as the only non-Linn item in my system. I have used a Sondek for 26 years, but it's probably time to move on rather than throw good money after bad in the form of the Radikal. In the long term I am going to look further into decks like Brinkmann Bardo, Well Tempered Amadeus, and even further mods to the Technics, as all those routes seem to offer a more determined approach to speed stability than patching up the antiquated low-torque belt-driven design of the LP12.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Fair enough. At least you tried it.

Never listened to the other deck you mention.
psmith

Post by psmith »

Charlie1 wrote:Never listened to the other deck you mention.
You're welcome to hear mine if you're in central London sometime.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

That's very kind of you! Unfortunately, it's a rarity to be in London (except for work) but if the situation arises then I may take you up on your kind offer.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

I've certainly heard SL1210's, but never ever with an Ekos arm! Sounds like a very rare combination.

If you care to tell us more about your system, we should probably move this to a new thread in 'Me and My System'.
psmith

Post by psmith »

OK, the Akurate Kontrol has been returned to the dealer. I now have no remote control for the Kikkin, so I can't use it. Where can I get a really cheap remote which is compatible?
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

This is a favourite of mine: http://www.oneforall.com/en_UK/product/ ... r-tv-black

Small, cheap and has all that you need. If you have a TV in the same room that uses the exact same infrared commands, the Zapper will control both, which might be a problem.

To use this remote, you need to activate "TV commands" on your Kikkin:

1. Switch off your power amp(s).
2. Unplug the power cord of Kikkin and wait 5 seconds.
3. Plug the power cord of Kikkin back in.
4. During the startup sequence, when Kikkin blinks red four times, change the position of the SLEEP switch at the back.
5. Kikkin now accepts TV commands. After the startup sequence is finished, you can set the SLEEP switch to the position of your choice.
6. Switch your power amp(s) back on.
psmith

Post by psmith »

I went to some lengths to get one of these remotes today but it doesn't work. Irritatingly this remote uses AAAA batteries which are hard to find. What is more, if I switch the sleep switch on the Kikkin at any time, the light goes out and will not come on again, no matter whether I reactivate the switch.

I have tried seven other remotes that I have in the house, and I'm getting quite fed up. For the price I paid for the Kikkin I think it should come with a remote which works out of the box, especially considering there is no other way of controlling volume. Right now it's not so much a Kikkin, as a brick in danger of a kickin' in.
psmith

Post by psmith »

OK - got it running now. Don't know why the switching trick didn't work at first but now it's fine.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Glad to hear you got it working! I'm afraid I'm not sure exactly what problem you encountered.

There is a possibility that the microprocessor in Kikkin can lock up if the power is briefly removed and then switched back on before the power supply is completely drained. Five seconds is usually enough to drain the power supply and make it reboot properly, to be certain one can wait ten.

If you activate the SLEEP switch at the back, the volume indicator will fade out 5 seconds after the last command. If you then flip the switch back, the volume indicator awakes again once a remote command is received (and then stays on). On Kikkin 2, there is a slight gain in sound quality when SLEEP is activated, due to the entire logic shutting down when no commands are received.

How do you like the Zapper? This remote was considered as an option for Kikkin, but so far you are to my knowledge the first owner to need one. Seems everyone has already had some remote they're using. Especially European HiFi brands tend to use the RC5 standard (Linn, Rega, Arcam etc).
PerFlemming

Post by PerFlemming »

Hi Fredrik

I had succes at once with my Rega solar remote however I must admit I am not sure of this SLEEP function and meaning of it - need to have the SLEEP function cut out for understanding.
(I have read manual)

When you write:
"change the position of the SLEEP switch at the back. "

You need to tell me from what position to what position (up/down SLEEP/NOT SLEEP) ?

Sorry for beeing a thick head
:lol:
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

You're not being thick. What one needs to understand is that the SLEEP switch has two different functions.

The first and obvious one is when Kikkin is operating normally. The switch is then used to choose whether the light should fade out or remain lit.

The second function is only when Kikkin is starting up, flashing this sequence: Red - red - red - red - green (=everything is ok). Kikkin checks, before the start up sequence begins, the position of the switch. Then after green, it checks again. If the switch has changed position (either up or down), Kikkin will accept not only infrared commands from a HiFi remote, but also similar commands from remotes that normally control only TV:s and other devices.

This TV remote feature was added for flexibility. I found that on the remote control market, there was a lot of simple models, for very little money, that had the buttons that Kikkin required: Volume up, down and mute. Like the One For All Zapper.
psmith

Post by psmith »

I really like the zapper, especially now it's working. Its small size is very comfortable and you forget it's in your hand.
Rudi64

Post by Rudi64 »

Hi all..
Sorry to stir up a old but did not see a another tread where I can
asked this questions .
Is the Kikkin 2.2 still available or is there a another pre-amp solution
to be released soon as the website mentioned that they are no longer available for the moment...
And is there someone who's compared the Kikkin 2.2 against a Majik-I (D)
used as pre...I'm looking for to upgrade my Majik I (D) as pre connected to a C5100 driving M140.Source is a ADS/0/1
So,looking for a AK/0/(D) or Kikkin 2.2,what would be the best solution,when you take budget-soundquality in consideration.
My preference would go to the AK/0 because of the handling trough Kinsky on I-pod touch (volume control),but its not absolute...any suggestions welcome..

Thanks in advance..
Rudi
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Hi Rudi and welcome here!

I will let someone else answer the performance related questions, but can confirm that the last Kikkin's are probably available at a couple of my retailer's. My stock has run out with the exception of two units that are being used at my lab.

I won't be making another batch as I'm working on a bigger and better preamplifier with multiple inputs. I have no idea when it will be released, as it needs to reach a certain level of performance.
PerFlemming

Kikkin vs Majik-i

Post by PerFlemming »

Rudi I use both, the Majik-i in a secondary setup for radio duties sometime other sources
In such setup and as spare its a wonderfull amp, build to last and does nothing really wrong, so very pleasant actually, ok a bit warm & veiled.
I have had it up against some more expensive alternatives(included some Naits and a late Majik, new design) but repeatedly coming back to this Little baby, a fine headphone output too.
Don't ever sell it if possible, a great spare or for secondary setup, for what I paid s/h its a steal.

Sometime I use a Kikkin with various poweramplifiers until I source down a LK140 or similar
I have the feeling a Kikkin is alltogether quite another class than preamp section inside Majik-i, admitted I haven't compared side by side (yet)
Now that Kikkin's are discontinued I can't recommend you enough to rush out and buy one where available.
Its very good and VFM provided you can live with one input.
I'll never sell mine.

Sure a new Lejonclou preamp with multi inputs won't be cheap so get going before its too late, luck
Rudi64

Re: Kikkin vs Majik-i

Post by Rudi64 »

PerFlemming wrote:Rudi I use both, the Majik-i in a secondary setup for radio duties sometime other sources
In such setup and as spare its a wonderfull amp, build to last and does nothing really wrong, so very pleasant actually, ok a bit warm & veiled.
I have had it up against some more expensive alternatives(included some Naits and a late Majik, new design) but repeatedly coming back to this Little baby, a fine headphone output too.
Don't ever sell it if possible, a great spare or for secondary setup, for what I paid s/h its a steal.

Sometime I use a Kikkin with various poweramplifiers until I source down a LK140 or similar
I have the feeling a Kikkin is alltogether quite another class than preamp section inside Majik-i, admitted I haven't compared side by side (yet)
Now that Kikkin's are discontinued I can't recommend you enough to rush out and buy one where available.
Its very good and VFM provided you can live with one input.
I'll never sell mine.

Sure a new Lejonclou preamp with multi inputs won't be cheap so get going before its too late, luck
Hi,
I will only sell the Majik I to fund a second hand AK/0,if I choose to buy a Kikkin 2.2 I will keep it,as you say its a wonderfull amp..Must say I do not intend to build a second system right now,but you never now...
Thanks for the input..

Greetings,
Rudi
Rudi64

Post by Rudi64 »

lejonklou wrote:Hi Rudi and welcome here!

I will let someone else answer the performance related questions, but can confirm that the last Kikkin's are probably available at a couple of my retailer's. My stock has run out with the exception of two units that are being used at my lab.

I won't be making another batch as I'm working on a bigger and better preamplifier with multiple inputs. I have no idea when it will be released, as it needs to reach a certain level of performance.
Hi,
Sorry to hear that's its not in production anymore..
Is there a retailer at Belgium?
Good luck with the build of the new one..

Greetings,
Rudi
Rufus McDufus

Post by Rufus McDufus »

Hi Rudy - I think I've posted before what I thought of the Kikkin 2.2 vs the AK (in my case an AK/0/D) but I'll repeat.

I found the Kikkin 2.2 much more neutral than the AK/0/D, which tends to add signature 'Linn sound' which to my ears tends to be a bit enhanced in the mid to lows - almost 'rounded off'. The Kikkin makes a fantastic volume control and I personally found it easier/quicker/more convenient to use via a small remote than by the volume control via Kinsky (or whatever) or the Linn remote which can be a bit fiddly.

At the time I quite liked a DS direct into power amps but that does tend to be harsh. The Kikkin just took the edge off & add musicality without losing any of the fantastic detail you get when running it direct. The AK/0/D added too much character for my liking - it's a nice cosy Linn sound but I don't necessarily like that too much!

Definitely get one if you can. Even if you don't like it you'll have no problem selling it for what you paid. I think Per has mine now and I regret not having it, but at least it has a good home!
Rudi64

Post by Rudi64 »

Rufus McDufus wrote:Hi Rudy - I think I've posted before what I thought of the Kikkin 2.2 vs the AK (in my case an AK/0/D) but I'll repeat.

I found the Kikkin 2.2 much more neutral than the AK/0/D, which tends to add signature 'Linn sound' which to my ears tends to be a bit enhanced in the mid to lows - almost 'rounded off'. The Kikkin makes a fantastic volume control and I personally found it easier/quicker/more convenient to use via a small remote than by the volume control via Kinsky (or whatever) or the Linn remote which can be a bit fiddly.

At the time I quite liked a DS direct into power amps but that does tend to be harsh. The Kikkin just took the edge off & add musicality without losing any of the fantastic detail you get when running it direct. The AK/0/D added too much character for my liking - it's a nice cosy Linn sound but I don't necessarily like that too much!

Definitely get one if you can. Even if you don't like it you'll have no problem selling it for what you paid. I think Per has mine now and I regret not having it, but at least it has a good home!
Hi Rufus..
Yes ,i read your post compairing Kikking 2.2 versus AK/0/D but was curious if someone had
heard it against a Majik-I (D)...but much appreciated to post that again..its looks thats a real bargain if I read the positive things.If its in the same league as Ak/0 it must be better than Majik-I..
So,i'm gonna take a look at the second hand market to see if I can spot one...
Thanks for the input..

Greetings,
Rudi
Ozzzy189
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Ozzzy189 »

I know Chris at hidden systems in the UK has one, it's not used though. Perhaps you could call him?
ADS3/SagMono/Tundra 2.2- . Totem Tribe Tower.
Lejonklou demos available in the N of England.