Slipsik input capacitance ?

Conversations about Lejonklou Products and this Forum

Moderator: Staff

PerFlemming

Slipsik input capacitance ?

Post by PerFlemming »

I have a Slipsik 6 lying around, to be used very soon.
I was wondering what the input capacitance pF is ? - reading around, couldn't find that spec.

Before I set things up, with either a G1042, a Audio Technica VM5xx or a Sumiko Reinier.
I've read the AT VM need very little pF - below 100pF while Sumiko need 200-250pF.
Cable from arm to stage seem to play a role too.

Thanks
Matteo
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Slipsik input capacitance ?

Post by Matteo »

It is 68pF, perfect for the Adikt, according to this https://www.lejonklou.com/wp-content/up ... manual.pdf
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Thank you for linking to the manual Matteo!

Indeed it’s 68 pF, but the input capacitance is more than just a value. On Slipsik and Gaio 2.x, the dielectric in the capacitor is polystyrene- the highest quality of them all. Simply amazing capacitors.

The brand and model used is available in a lot of values, but the 68 pF one is most musical when used in this position; as an MM cartridge load.

It so happens that even if the cartridge is said to require several hundred pF, the 68 pF model in this range always sounds better than all the other values. So there appears to be an intrinsic quality to this particular capacitor. Two of them in parallel, resulting in 136 pF, always seems worse than just one, again regardless of the specifications of the cartridge.

On KINKI3 and the original Gaio, a polypropylene capacitor was used. This was sharper sounding, as polypropylene caps usually are, and the optimal capacitance then ended up at 80 pF.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

I was a bit concerned how the Slipsik 8 would work with a non-Adikt but Fredrik assured me there was nothing specifically aimed at the Adikt so I went ahead and it indeed works equally well with an AT VM95ML. I'm now getting the Adikt deck replaced with a VM540ML but probably won't know how that sounds for a couple of weeks.
PerFlemming

Post by PerFlemming »

Matteo wrote: 2022-11-29 21:23 It is 68pF, perfect for the Adikt, according to this https://www.lejonklou.com/wp-content/up ... manual.pdf
Thanks, I assume its applies for a Slipsik 6 as well, then my Audio Technica is first in.

I was thinking to get a new stylus for my G10xx, it seems a 1022 (or 1012 ?) is the same cartridge as Adikt, but in other cloths.

Any idea what I can use correctly for a Sumiko ?
I have a Rega Fono, believe this is 100pF, maybe with a long cable from my Technics 1200 ?
Matteo
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Matteo »

A long cable could be a problem

The Linn Grey T-Kable 1,25 mt RCA has more than 100pF of capacitance

If the recommended cartridge loading is 150-200 pF, you should consider the phono + arm cable capacitance …
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

PerFlemming wrote: 2022-11-30 20:11
Matteo wrote: 2022-11-29 21:23 It is 68pF, perfect for the Adikt, according to this https://www.lejonklou.com/wp-content/up ... manual.pdf
Thanks, I assume its applies for a Slipsik 6 as well, then my Audio Technica is first in.

I was thinking to get a new stylus for my G10xx, it seems a 1022 (or 1012 ?) is the same cartridge as Adikt, but in other cloths.

Any idea what I can use correctly for a Sumiko ?
I have a Rega Fono, believe this is 100pF, maybe with a long cable from my Technics 1200 ?
There is no point in trying to calculate the "correct load". That's what I was trying to explain in my previous post. The number is not the important part of the load - the quality level is.

For the Sumiko the cartridge load of Slipsik 6 will work just fine. Don't use a longer cable, as it will sound worse.

Stop thinking, connect the cartridge and listen!
Arjen
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Arjen »

Stop thinking, connect the cartridge and listen!
[/quote]

Best quote of 2022. My experience with connecting Nagaoka MP 300, JNP500 stylus, with the Slipsik 7.1 just sounds right, right with the wow experience. Stop thinking. Just listen. Trust your ears!
Lenco 76/S TJN, Dr. Fuss, Supernait2, CD5X, Slipsik7.1, Millon Phantom, Soundeck, AudioSensibility