Slipsik (6) max output signal voltage with Adikt

Conversations about Lejonklou Products and this Forum

Moderator: Staff

fredrik

Slipsik (6) max output signal voltage with Adikt

Post by fredrik »

Hi I checked the manual but found no conclusive information.
I have a LP12 Majik with Adikt with Slipsik hooked up to a Klimax DSM upgraded to Organik.
On the input I can select max input voltage 2, 4, 8.
With the current 4V the LP amplification is very low compared to other inputs, changing to 2 improves the loudness as expected. But how close am I to overpower the input?
I play mostly LP's
(Slipsik (6) max output signal voltage with Adikt)
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Slipsik (6) max output signal voltage with Adikt

Post by lejonklou »

Hi fredrik!

It's tricky to determine the maximum level of vinyl records, because they vary so much.

I was really concerned with this when making SINGularity and Entity, because their input stage is so high in gain. I needed to determine which output level from a cartridge was always safe, with any record. Well, that last part about records turned out not so easy. In the end I couldn't find anything louder than an old test record and determined that 0.4 mV from the MC cartridge at 3.54 cm/s would always be safe. And that was with some margin left.

You have an Adikt, which is less than 5 mV at 3.54 cm/s (6.5 mV at 5 m/s according to specs) and Slipsik will amplify that 112 times (41 dB). That becomes a little more than half a Volt, which appears consistent with the impression of loudness when flipping between Slipsik and Källa (1.57 Volts).

Conclusion: You should definitely have the max input setting of the ADC at 2 Volts. I would recommend 1 Volt if it had been available, as it would likely sound even better.
fredrik

Post by fredrik »

Thank you,

Yes, even 2V produces less amplifications that most other sources for the records I've tried. I now know it is not risking to overpower the input.

PS. You may want to add "Ice Cube- It was a good day - on 12" US press" to your evaluation disks as it is a 4 minute song in 33 rpm stretched over the whole 12" disk area, if memory servers me correctly. Its almost like you can read the lyrics from the groove by looking at it. :)
fredrik

Post by fredrik »

I just had a thought, the KDSM input is balanced, so 2V balanced might translate to 1V single ended as it maps to your data.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Aha! Well, shouldn’t be a problem anyway.

Thank you for the Ice Cube record tip! I’ll see if I can find it.