Moderator: Staff

Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Tundra Mono 3

Post by Hermann »

David Neel wrote: 2023-10-08 21:56
Spannko wrote: 2023-10-07 17:18
[...] I’ve heard some very musical systems, but only listening through TM3’s have I experienced a sense of nervousness within myself as a result of the tension in the music being reproduced. [...]
[...] It's SO difficult to ignore the music... [...]
Thanks to you both. I like your descriptions, as they sum up the listening experience with these amplifiers very well.

Of course, I have nothing against copying others descriptions, including myself, into this thread if the moderators sees an advantage.
Trust your ears
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Thank you for sharing your experiences, Spannko, David Neel and Hermann!

Tundra Mono 3 number 047 and 048 are soon flying to Canada.

Tundra Mono 3 number 049 and 050 just boarded a truck heading for Amsterdam.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

I just thought I'd chime in on not getting used to how musical and attention-grabbing the system is with the TM3s in place. I keep on getting caught off guard by tracks here and there streaming out one or another mellow jazz playlist. But it is not just me. Virtually every time my friend Simon comes over I get a comment like "Is that the Källa playing? The piano just sounds so real!" So he hasn't gotten used to it either.

I'm also right there with David Neel in having found the TM2.2s magnificent, superior to any other power amp I have heard and not lacking in anything I could discern. But the TM3s are indeed a total step change and bring so much more music into the room it is hard to believe. Amazing work, Fredrik.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
u252agz
Very active member
Very active member

Post by u252agz »

One more thing regarding TM3s in my system.

I am able to play as loud as I want -and it just sounds great.

Previously, I was never quite happy above a certain level . Now there is no limit - in fact TM3s positively encourage me to push it- just fantastic.

I realised with Sagatun Monos that with a great pre amp the musicality remained even at low volumes - not so with my previous Linn AK1.

So now I have ‘music’ throughout the volume range and as others have said can’t get used to this seismic upgrade in my system ( which by the way continues to improve - now week three ).
Kalla/Sag M/Tun M3/242/LP12/Slip7

Kalla/Giella Pi/JBL308/RS2e

Majik LP12/Boazu/110s
Sopper
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Sopper »

u252agz wrote: 2023-10-17 15:07 One more thing regarding TM3s in my system.

Previously, I was never quite happy above a certain level . Now there is no limit - in fact TM3s positively encourage me to push it- just fantastic.
Exact same experience here 😃
KÄLLA > Sagatun Mono 1.7 > Tundra Mono 3.0 > Graham LS8/1F
Cables: Trivium Audio Cables
Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Hermann »

u252agz wrote: 2023-10-17 15:07 [...}

Now there is no limit - in fact TM3s positively encourage me to push it- just fantastic.

[...]
Perfectly summed up.

Even after months of intensive listening with the TM3s monos, the urge to listen to music does not subside and changes listening habits in ways never imagined.
Trust your ears
macrotech2
Very active member
Very active member

Post by macrotech2 »

Hermann wrote: 2023-10-19 08:40
u252agz wrote: 2023-10-17 15:07 [...}

Now there is no limit - in fact TM3s positively encourage me to push it- just fantastic.

[...]
Perfectly summed up.

Even after months of intensive listening with the TM3s monos, the urge to listen to music does not subside and changes listening habits in ways never imagined.
+1 from me on everything’s that been said. Absolutely astounding amps.
Källa/Sagatun Mono Tarandus/Tundra Mono 3/Avalon Idea Mk2
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

It’s funny how when the forum is most quiet, I usually have the longest order list.

Tundra Mono 3 number 051 and 052 should have landed in Marseille, France.

Tundra Mono 3 number 053 and 054 are now being built and will soon ship to Amsterdam, the Netherlands.
u252agz
Very active member
Very active member

Post by u252agz »

Having waxed lyrical about the transformation TM3s have done to my system, I'm still trying to get my head around how a set of power amps can do this much to the music.

I have noticed some songs recently in which the bass is easier to listen to in isolation and realise that this aspect has been improved so much that I wonder if it is this is partly/largely responsible for the quantum leap in musicality.

The bass with TM3s is utterly exquisite - powerful, with sublime control and nuanced and delicate when it needs to be. I seem to remember the change from TM to TM2 had a qualitatively similar effect, but TM3s have taken this to a whole different level and many orders of magnitude better.

A quick look on the internet points to the importance of bass in not just the rhythm of music, but also the harmony and the creation of emotional effects of music.

Having no knowledge whatsoever about music, I had never appreciated this before; but I think explains my aversion to musical systems with poorly controlled bass, opting for those with less bass but better control.

Majik LP12/Boazu/110s
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

u252agz wrote: 2023-11-03 09:32.
Having no knowledge whatsoever about music, I had never appreciated this before; but I think explains my aversion to musical systems with poorly controlled bass, opting for those with less bass but better control.
In the early 70’s I remember feeling physically nauseous when listening to my cousin’s Fireball XL5 album on their radiogram. The excessive amount of wallowing bass was too much for me to endure.
u252agz wrote: 2023-11-03 09:32.
A quick look on the internet points to the importance of bass in not just the rhythm of music, but also the harmony and the creation of emotional effects of music.
Although I remember vividly the effect the bass had on me, I’ve never really made the link between poor bass and my emotional state. The benefits of music are often discussed, but I’ve never seen anything related to the possible harmful effects of inharmonicity on our health. I would hypothesise that as a system becomes more harmonious levels of cortisol in our blood would reduce and dopamine increase, with the reverse being true as the system becomes progressively less harmonious. Anecdotally, I’m sure this is something we’ve all experienced.
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

u252agz wrote: 2023-11-03 09:32 Having waxed lyrical about the transformation TM3s have done to my system, I'm still trying to get my head around how a set of power amps can do this much to the music...
I'm looking forward to the return of my upgraded Monos following the attentive administerings of Thomas 🤗
u252agz
Very active member
Very active member

Post by u252agz »

Brace yourself - and make sure you are sitting down when you first listen to your upgraded system.

And then prepare for the music to get even better, and better as the TM3s settle in.

Majik LP12/Boazu/110s
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

u252agz wrote: 2023-11-03 16:48 Brace yourself - and make sure you are sitting down when you first listen to your upgraded system.

And then prepare for the music to get even better, and better as the TM3s settle in.
I will start sitting down but I'm expecting to be compelled to get up & dance 😉
Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Hermann »

+1
My wife and I understand that all too well...
Trust your ears
u252agz
Very active member
Very active member

Post by u252agz »

Here’s another thing I’ve noticed about TM3s in my system.

I’ve realised that with well recorded vinyl, the single source input on the Sagatun Monos really does shift the musicality to a significantly higher level. (Can’t wait for the upgrade.)

With TM 2.2 - there was definitely a difference, but I it was not enough to make me use the single source input.

TM3s in my system really show up the differences between a really good recording and a great recording.

Majik LP12/Boazu/110s
Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Hermann »

I got the hint when I decided on the Sagatun Monos. In fact, the difference is audible and is therefore evidenced by the LP12 in my setup. So far I haven't had the Källa at this input.
Trust your ears
David Neel
Very active member
Very active member

Post by David Neel »

My TM3s have also made me play more vinyl, and the single source difference is much more obvious. :)
The search for knowledge is not nourished by certainty, but by a radical distrust in certainty
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Have forgotten to update this thread.

TM3 number 055 and 056 were shipped to Amsterdam.

TM3 number 057 and 058 are soon shipping to North America.

TM3 number 059 and 060 I plan to keep in the lab as demo units.

As mentioned when Tundra Mono 3 was released, 78 main boards were made. Nearly all of them became pre-booked, but some of those who wanted to upgrade their TM2’s didn’t follow through. So there are at least ten boards still available.

Meanwhile, Oscar and I are sourcing components to build a second batch. Only a few are still missing and I feel confident it’s going to work out.
Sopper
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Sopper »

lejonklou wrote: 2023-12-22 16:51
Meanwhile, Oscar and I are sourcing components to build a second batch. Only a few are still missing and I feel confident it’s going to work out.
That’s good news for people who don’t own the TM3 😃
KÄLLA > Sagatun Mono 1.7 > Tundra Mono 3.0 > Graham LS8/1F
Cables: Trivium Audio Cables
Zee9

Post by Zee9 »

Sent you a pm.
u252agz wrote: 2023-10-17 15:07 One more thing regarding TM3s in my system.

I realised with Sagatun Monos that with a great pre amp the musicality remained even at low volumes - not so with my previous Linn AK1.

So now I have ‘music’ throughout the volume range and as others have said can’t get used to this seismic upgrade in my system ( which by the way continues to improve - now week three ).
1. LP12/Selekt/AK/0(d)/TS 2.5/kabers+RelT7i
2. WiiM/AK/1(d)/TS 2.2/Kan II
3. Genki/Kairn/5105/Kabers
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

I neglected to update this thread with the sales of Tundra Mono 3.

All 78 units of the first batch were ordered but only 72 have shipped so far. The last six units will ship in the next couple of weeks. Biggest market has been North America.

A new batch will be made as soon as the first 50 units of Boazu 2 are assembled.
u252agz
Very active member
Very active member

Post by u252agz »

39 very lucky customers - including myself.

A quite extraordinary product which really reveals what a great source and recording can truly do.

I have still not gotten used to just how good my system sounds now : each time the music starts - I am transfixed.

Lets hope Boazu 2, with its most recent fine tuning does something similar.

Majik LP12/Boazu/110s