A lejonklou for my 2nd or 3rd system

Conversations about Lejonklou Products and this Forum

Moderator: Staff

Zee9

A lejonklou for my 2nd or 3rd system

Post by Zee9 »

A tundra has just shown up on the used market. It’s a 2.2 Tarandus and I’ve always wanted to try a lejonklou amplifier.

The two systems where it might work is the
1. bedroom (Kan II’s presently driven with kairn/Klout combo)
Or
2. Wife’s art studio (Passive kabers - also driven by a kairn/Klout combo)

I also have a Unidisk that needs to be serviced that I like a lot as a preamp (would also fit size wise above the tundra) both systems use linn interconnects and linn k400 (split to be a single wire) speaker cables.

With the older model 2.2 Tara due can I expect a significant improvement over the klout combos. Which speaker would it better be suited for?

Also since I’m asking, would a boazu be better as I can eliminate the preamp (reduce box count) and not have to mix a linn preamp with the Lejonklou poweramp.

Id appreciate any thoughts you guys have.
LR: LP12/Selekt/Tundra 2.5/kabers
BR: WiiM/Tundra 2.2/Kan II
Studio: Genki/Kairn/5105/Kabers+RelT7i
springwood64
Very active member
Very active member

Re: A lejonklou for my 2nd or 3rd system

Post by springwood64 »

I have found preamp upgrades in the past to make a greater positive impact than power amp alone. On that basis I would suggest Boazu over Tundra in your case.

I'm confident you will find Boazu significantly more engaging than kairn/klout, even though it's a long time since I owned a pair.

Note that I was not convinced by the Unidisc SC as a preamp, when I heard it in combination with 5100 power amp.
Pete

Linn Axis, Kinki, Källa (GS308T+Amplifi HD x 2 + BJC), Boazu, Espeks
u252agz
Very active member
Very active member

Post by u252agz »

I agree with springwood.

Boazu and Tundra both drive my 242s and Komponent 110s just fine, but my rooms are only 6metres by 5 with 2.5 m ceiling.

I have used linn preamps with Tundra ( Kolektor and AK 1) and they are well matched.

Nice thing with a Boazu is its really versatile. if you ever connect it to a kalla and your kabers - you will be in for a treat.
Kalla/Sag M/Tun M3/242/LP12/Slip7

Kalla/Giella Pi/JBL308/RS2e

Majik LP12/Boazu/110s
Zee9

Post by Zee9 »

Wow Pete,

You’re using a boazu with espeks. I’ve never heard espeks but was always told that they are hard to drive. @sunbeamgls had also mentioned in the past how well the boazu drove a pair of passive akubariks.

The Unidisk SC, to my ears sounded better than a Kinos with my akurate 2200 and kabers. The issue with a preamp is that I need atleast one toslink in for the Wim mini or i have to use computer via a dac (Schiit Modi 3+)

I Wonder If the boazu is enough for the kabers. I assumed the Kan II’s would be easier to drive with the Boazu.
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

Since the 2.2 is due, I'll focus on the power amp... Personally I'd try 'Tara' with Kabers first.

Tundra was my Lejonklou gateway, replacing a Linn 4200 fed by an Akurate Kontrol. Yes, hierarchy says pre- before power amp, but Tundra was clearly more musically enjoyable in my (then) setup than the Linn amp: the Tundra had a cleaner, straight to the music feel; less warm & cozy than the Linn, which the Kans might need more than the Kabers, which is why I'd start in the studio...

Interested to hear how you get on
springwood64
Very active member
Very active member

Post by springwood64 »

Zee9 wrote: 2022-09-28 13:45 Wow Pete,

You’re using a boazu with espeks. I’ve never heard espeks but was always told that they are hard to drive. @sunbeamgls had also mentioned in the past how well the boazu drove a pair of passive akubariks.
I've used lots of different amps with the espeks and never felt that they struggled. Boazu certainly shakes the floor with impressive rumbles when I play Lord of the rings movies!

My house is open plan on 3 floors, and the listening area about 5m X 8m, part of the ceiling at 2.4m and part at 4.8m. Boazu and the espeks fill it with music. I often sit in the far corner to listen (because I like the view outside) so nearly 8m from the speakers.

I'm not really sure what it means for speakers to be difficult to drive. Would they lack volume, or sound muted in some way?
Pete

springwood64
Very active member
Very active member

Post by springwood64 »

Zee9 wrote: 2022-09-28 13:45 The issue with a preamp is that I need atleast one toslink in for the Wim mini or i have to use computer via a dac (Schiit Modi 3+)
I'm using a dedicated DAC with Toslink, but I'm not playing music thru it, just TV/movies via an Apple TV. I tried quite a few Toslink DACs, but they all sounded pretty uninteresting for music, though fine for movies. I ended up sticking with a £15 DAC in preference to the various other much pricier options.
Pete

Zee9

Post by Zee9 »

Well well…. I’m finally going to experience something from Mr Lejoklou and to add to the pleasure it’s tuned by Tom.

It’s a tundra 2.2 Tarandus and I’m going to try it with the kabers and/or Kan II’s.

My choices of preamplifiers would be either a kairn or a Unidisk SC. I’m open to all suggestions but i’ll start with a simple question.

1. Due to lack of space i’ll probably place the power amp on the preamplifier. (The other way around if it’s the kairn) i’ll probably Loft the upper device via some harder foam pieces to give it some room for ventilation.
Zee9

Post by Zee9 »

Any help with advice on preamplifiers would greatly be appreciated.

Alternatively I could move the Adsm/3 katalyst with the tundra 2.2 T but would prefer not to use the DVC.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Hi Zee9!

What was the question in your post from yesterday?

I always advise against stacking units. The one on top can sound OK (depending on conditions), but the one below suffers a lot.

There’s also a risk that the feet of the top unit makes permanent marks in the paint of the unit below.
Zee9

Post by Zee9 »

There would be some kind styrofoam material about 2/3” think separating the devices so the feet of the upper device would not be touching the lower device.

My question was for the choice of amplifiers:
The ones I have at my disposal are
Kairn
Unidisk SC
And eventually a ADSM/3
Interconnects would be linn silvers unless blacks work better.
lejonklou wrote: 2022-10-13 14:13 Hi Zee9!

What was the question in your post from yesterday?

I always advise against stacking units. The one on top can sound OK (depending on conditions), but the one below suffers a lot.

There’s also a risk that the feet of the top unit makes permanent marks in the paint of the unit below.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Not sure how the styrofoam fits into this, but my units prefer to stand on their feet. They are part of the design, in every detail from position to rubber to the two supporting washers.

I’m sorry but I have no idea which of the preamps you mention is the best one. Maybe you can compare them and let us know?
Zee9

Post by Zee9 »

Should be here by noon today. I’ll fill
I’m my experiences with all the preamps and experiments.
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

You could always video your pre-amps and get some help from the forum members!
Zee9

Post by Zee9 »

So ran a few tests and realized quite a few details. The tundra prefers newer preamps. The kairn and Unidisk didn’t make me smile. They were good don’t get me wrong but the real magic started happening with an Adsm/3. So much with the Kan II’s that I had to carry the kabers from my wife’s artist studio back into the bedroom.

When compared to the kairn/Klout combo (so far that’s the best I’ve liked with passive kabers) there’s a little less slam but still very good bass. Tighter!! I for some odd reason don’t feel the need for a subwoofer and the big improvment is in the mids and instrument separation. Her studio is a better room than our bedroom but we have no internet there so can’t carry the Adsm/3 there.

I think Id dare to say that if I had tried a tundra before with my kabers I might not have gone searching for new speakers after selling my 242’s. I might have even held onto the 242’s but I didn’t get to hear them with a tundra. Once the klout is sold and a second streamer arrives the tundra will take its place in the bedroom with the Kan II’s.

Why the Kans and not the kabers? The shock that you get with Kans II’s is more than the kabers but that’s just because most human minds can’t understand how such a small speaker is doing so much.

The kabers also are too big (physically) for the bedroom at the moment.

Another idea might be just getting a good preamp like an akurate Kontrol or. kK/1d but I haven’t heard either of those amps. Ofcourse I’m very curious about the sagatun now :)

I Wonder how different a boazu is to the tundra?

So far I’m quite the happy camper. I’m adding a video of the kabers with the Adsm/ and tundra 2.2 Tarandus.

https://youtu.be/y_wSbj0p7Wg
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Thank you for reporting your impressions, Zee9!

With only the ADSM and Tundra, no stacking was needed, right?
Zee9

Post by Zee9 »

It’s on my work desk and was just a temporary test. The tundra was placed on the Adsm/3 for the few hours that I tested the Kan II’s and the kabers. It’s packed up now so that once I can create the right space and give the tundra room to breathe it will come out again.

I also need the Adsm/3 back on my main system so have to plan the right preamp/source for the tundra.

The Adsm/3 is soon to be sold to a fiend as I only need an ash for my main system. Once that’s sorted I can then look towards building a full analog passive system for the bedroom.

Presently I’m thinking akurate kontrol/1 as that will allow me to add a TT to the analog system without an extra phono stage.

BUT THE TUNDRA IS SURELY A KEEPER. !!
Zee9

Post by Zee9 »

@fredrik - is there a page/link showing how to add a subwoofer to the tundra 2.2 Tarandus via the hi-level connection?
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Hi Zee9!

No there is no such manual.

Below Line In there is a Line Out on each channel. These are connected without any electronics in between, so if you use the Line Out connectors, they work simply as an extension of the signal coming from the preamp to the Line In connectors.

How to connect your subwoofer will depend on what brand and model you have and how many of them.