Boazu and speakers

Conversations about Lejonklou Products and this Forum

Moderator: Staff

Rymsha

Boazu and speakers

Post by Rymsha »

A couple of years ago I bought the Boazu to replace my old Naim integrated amplifier (entry level). Be aware I am not a seasoned Hifi veteran, but rather on the low end of hifi gear and knowledge. I think the switch from Naim to Lejonklou was a great improvement. I have a pair of Audiovector Mi3s (basic, not one of the upgrades). The Boazu is, as I understand it, not the most powerful amp and needs speakers that are not too demanding. Do you have any input on the Mi3s, other Audiovector speakers - are they suitable for the Boazu power wise? What should I listen for to determine if I don't have a great match between speaker and amp?
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Boazu and speakers

Post by lejonklou »

In my opinion, loudspeakers are the most personal choice of all HiFi components. They’re all flawed, so pick one that you like the sound of, that lets you connect with the music, that fits your room and that can play loud enough for your liking.

Boazu can in my experience drive any dynamic loudspeaker. It’s design is such that it copes easily with very difficult loads.

The sensitivity figure of the loudspeaker is the only number that might prove useful to look at. If it’s 85 dB or less, you might need to test in practice whether Boazu can play loud enough for your liking. If it’s above 85, you can play really loud in a small room and moderately loud in a large room. If it’s above 90, you can play really loud even in a bigger room.

Please note also that the standard configuration of Boazu is that the volume stops at level 78 (almost orange). To remove this safety feature, you need to press VOL+ during the startup sequence, when it blinks red. Then the volume can be increased to 100. I only mention this because I’ve spoken to several owners who had no idea and never read the manual. I’m likely going to reverse this setting in the future, so that a safety limit of 80 (which suits Källa) can be switched on, but the standard configuration is that it goes all the way to 100.
Rymsha

Post by Rymsha »

Thanks! Great info.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

I see that the Mi3’s are 91 dB. Can you play as loud as you want with your Boazu?

I also see that they have options for bi- and tri-wire. I recommend trying single wiring, as I find it more musical and less “HiFi impressive”.

With single wiring and links in between the three positive and in between the three negative inputs on the rear of the speaker, most likely the cable should connect to the treble input, possibly the mid, least likely the bass. Compare all three of them, they all sound a little different.

You don’t have to shut Boazu down if you move one connector at a time and plug it in before you unplug the other. Just don’t short them!

And welcome to the forum!
ncs12

Post by ncs12 »

I run my Boazu into Kudos Super 10s.

An outstanding combination.

https://kudosaudio.com/product/super-10 ... ct-reviews
Starsailor

Post by Starsailor »

Hello!! There are speakers less expensive that could work with the boazu?
Kantata Audio

Post by Kantata Audio »

Starsailor wrote: 2022-08-23 11:09 Hello!! There are speakers less expensive that could work with the boazu?
If you're in the UK - Ophidian Audio? Minimo2, Mojo2 and Mambo2.

I know we sell them, but they are excellent and largely unknown.
Kantata Audio - Lejonklou | Kudos | Innuos

email sales@kantata-audio.co.uk
tel +044 2892607882
Starsailor

Post by Starsailor »

No , i am in Spain.
But i take note.
Kantata Audio

Post by Kantata Audio »

Just checked on the Ophidian website and there's a dealer in Madrid - Blue Sky Musica

Might be a long distance from you, but on the other hand......
Kantata Audio - Lejonklou | Kudos | Innuos

email sales@kantata-audio.co.uk
tel +044 2892607882
springwood64
Very active member
Very active member

Post by springwood64 »

Starsailor wrote: 2022-08-23 11:09 Hello!! There are speakers less expensive that could work with the boazu?
If you are comfortable with used speakers, then there good low cost options too
Pete

Linn Axis, Kinki, Källa (GS308T+Amplifi HD x 2 + BJC), Boazu, Espeks
Starsailor

Post by Starsailor »

Its not a problem for me the used market

Someone have proved the boazu with proac?
Specially with tablettes.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Picked up some Keilidhs to try in the office at the weekend. These are the later gen version. They are just so amenable and I forget they exist so there's music in the room but not from them. They really do just get on with the job in a rewarding fashion. I guess they were just a very well integrated speaker (in terms of drive units) and perhaps that was part of their popularity.

I think a modern Keilidh-like design/size speaker would make a great Lejonklou speaker - A fine all-rounder and easy to drive. The Tundra people will probably go off and do their own thing anyway so something not too expensive for the Boazu users would be ideal and Keilidhs have 'just' enough bass. And the sealed enclosure means they can be used closer to the rear wall when Boazu amps are more likely to be used in smaller rooms compared to the pre/powers.
Matteo
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Matteo »

Charlie1 wrote: 2022-08-30 16:20 Picked up some Keilidhs to try in the office at the weekend. These are the later gen version. They are just so amenable and I forget they exist so there's music in the room but not from them. They really do just get on with the job in a rewarding fashion. I guess they were just a very well integrated speaker (in terms of drive units) and perhaps that was part of their popularity.
Interesting

Do the Keilidhs work with the M6100 (aktiv)?

I see that they have two bass output in the rear.

M.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Yeah, pretty sure they are the same design as Ninkas, so you can run them either 4-way or 6-way aktiv, with 6-way being only slightly better. I used to own 6100/Ninkas but not heard active Keilidhs. I think this speaker design is called d'Appalito.

They already sound great passive with a good source so I'm not motivated by active. Perhaps if I was using the system for TV and I was fussy about TV quality then it would be different.
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

I second your proposal for a Lejonklou speaker like the Keilidh’s charlie1! I think they’re a bit of a forgotten gem and they’re great with a Källa and Boazu. As you say, they just get on with the job of playing music really enjoyably and without a hint of fuss. For around £200-300 they’re an absolute bargain.