Slipsik 8

Conversations about Lejonklou Products and this Forum

Moderator: Staff

lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Slipsik 8

Post by lejonklou »

The subject line of this topic (currently 'Two clips to compare') will change when I reveal what we're comparing.

The reveal will be the 1st of February 2022.

Happy listening!

1: https://www.dropbox.com/s/vuibxxhb6kw58jq/1.MOV?dl=0

2: https://www.dropbox.com/s/8g7pfi2wl8l53sf/2.MOV?dl=0

Additional comment: Oh my! Please excuse and ignore the dust below the TV! That's what happens when you're hit by the flu and covid. Feeling much better now, so rest assured I'm on it, right away.
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Two clips to compare

Post by Spannko »

Number 1 for me please. Interestingly, Spotify has been playing a random stream of similar music today. The Benny Goodman Orchestra and The Inkspots were standout examples - very enjoyable indeed!
jajo

Post by jajo »

2 for me 👍
tpetsch
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tpetsch »

Put me down for "1:" too.
Rega P10, Aphelion II, Aura. Naim CB 32.5/HC, Naxo 3-6/HC, 3x250 into K20/DMS.
David Neel
Very active member
Very active member

Post by David Neel »

Interesting. I immediately liked 1, but 2 is a bit better for me.
The search for knowledge is not nourished by certainty, but by a radical distrust in certainty
markiteight

Post by markiteight »

2, please!
Azazello
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Azazello »

In a bit of a strange way they make me focus on very different parts of the music.
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

Azazello wrote: 2022-01-29 21:51 2

In a bit of a strange way they make me focus on very different parts of the music.
I hear it that way too... and also prefer 2: more sense of the band together without losing the swing of individual performances as part of the whole.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

I'm staying out of this as I already heard the clips previously via a text so it wouldn't be a fair comment. But I can give my take after the reveal. I will note that the difference is not as pronounced on the dropbox clips as it was on the direct clips which is something that I have noticed before, though I can still hear it clearly in these clips.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

I find clip 2 easier to follow, both as individual instruments and the whole band. Clip 1 doesn't flow so well for me but seems to have a bit more swing, perhaps cos the bass notes are stronger. Wondered if clip 2 seems a bit speeded up but this mac sometimes has that effect on my own clips.
Last edited by Charlie1 on 2022-01-29 23:18, edited 3 times in total.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

ThomasOK wrote: 2022-01-29 22:33 I'm staying out of this as I already heard the clips previously via a text so it wouldn't be a fair comment. But I can give my take after the reveal. I will note that the difference is not as pronounced on the dropbox clips as it was on the direct clips which is something that I have noticed before, though I can still hear it clearly in these clips.
You voted blind when you first heard them. Then you got the info of which was which. Now you can probably identify which is which by the length of the clips. But your first blind vote still counts and it's OK if you prefer to share it later.

I also noticed the clips sent directly from phone to phone are more distinct in their difference. It's annoying how that Dropbox storage lessens the musical quality.
markiteight

Post by markiteight »

lejonklou wrote: 2022-01-29 23:16
ThomasOK wrote: 2022-01-29 22:33 I'm staying out of this as I already heard the clips previously via a text so it wouldn't be a fair comment. But I can give my take after the reveal. I will note that the difference is not as pronounced on the dropbox clips as it was on the direct clips which is something that I have noticed before, though I can still hear it clearly in these clips.
You voted blind when you first heard them. Then you got the info of which was which. Now you can probably identify which is which by the length of the clips. But your first blind vote still counts and it's OK if you prefer to share it later.

I also noticed the clips sent directly from phone to phone are more distinct in their difference. It's annoying how that Dropbox storage lessens the musical quality.
I agree. If your choice on the dropbox clips is the same as your choice when you first heard the clips via text then your comment would be perfectly fair. If your choice changed, well then...that's a bit of a conundrum!
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

markiteight wrote: 2022-01-29 23:23 I agree. If your choice on the dropbox clips is the same as your choice when you first heard the clips via text then your comment would be perfectly fair. If your choice changed, well then...that's a bit of a conundrum!
Both would be useful to know, either to validate the responses to the clips here, or to identify an impact of them being hosted... Let the votes Drop as they may.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

OK, fine. I actually didn't think to look at the times, I guess I'm not sneaky enough! ;-) It is just that I heard the same differences here as I heard in the clips Fredrik sent me (although reduced a bit as I noted) and wasn't sure it was fair to comment here knowing what we were listening to just from the sound.

I definitely prefer clip 2 and find it easier to follow the instruments on that clip. I also find it gives more body to the instruments and the rolling rhythm of the initial piano notes just seems to move better on clip 2. Finally when the horns hit on the loud side I find it more dynamic on 2 yet at the same time less strident. Just overall a more musical perfromance that I bop to more.

Further comments after the reveal.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
tpetsch
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tpetsch »

If I may elaborate: What I'm hearing is that on clip (1) each note hits right on the mark, the band is super tight and the performance really flows along effortlessly when compared to clip (2).
On clip (2) the performance sounds more Hi-Fi and less in tune, and I'm strictly going by the tune here, as always. ...I'm getting this sensation that some of the notes are surprising me on clip (2), coming out of nowhere and don't contribute to the performance, not hitting the mark as well as on clip (1) where the notes all contribute..
Last edited by tpetsch on 2022-01-30 00:47, edited 2 times in total.
Rega P10, Aphelion II, Aura. Naim CB 32.5/HC, Naxo 3-6/HC, 3x250 into K20/DMS.
u252agz
Very active member
Very active member

Post by u252agz »

No contest- 2 for me.
Kalla/Sag M/Tun M3/242/LP12/Slip7

Kalla/Giella Pi/JBL308/RS2e

Majik LP12/Boazu/110s
Arjen
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Arjen »

2 for me. Seems to me more round and natural. First one there’s more needlenoise, sharpness and extremes (as Defender says),which will make it more tiresome in the end I’m afraid.
Last edited by Arjen on 2022-01-31 20:54, edited 2 times in total.
Lenco 76/S TJN, Dr. Fuss, Supernait2, CD5X, Slipsik7.1, Millon Phantom, Soundeck, AudioSensibility
jajo

Post by jajo »

tpetsch wrote: 2022-01-30 00:43 If I may elaborate: What I'm hearing is that on clip (1) each note hits right on the mark, the band is super tight and the performance really flows along effortlessly when compared to clip (2).
On clip (2) the performance sounds more Hi-Fi and less in tune, and I'm strictly going by the tune here, as always. ...I'm getting this sensation that some of the notes are surprising me on clip (2), coming out of nowhere and don't contribute to the performance, not hitting the mark as well as on clip (1) where the notes all contribute..
It is pretty much the exact opposite to my experience.

1 sounds more analytical in comparison to 2 which has a great flow and sounds more "real"/"live".
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

tpetsch wrote: 2022-01-30 00:43 If I may elaborate: What I'm hearing is that on clip (1) each note hits right on the mark, the band is super tight and the performance really flows along effortlessly when compared to clip (2).
That’s exactly as I hear it too. Clip 2 sounds like a typical modern digitally remastered/enhanced version of clip 1.
springwood64
Very active member
Very active member

Post by springwood64 »

2 flows better for me, tho I also found some of the brass surprised me at times, even on repeat listening

I'm listening on my phone speaker.
Last edited by springwood64 on 2022-01-30 08:57, edited 1 time in total.
Pete

Linn Axis, Kinki, Källa (GS308T+Amplifi HD x 2 + BJC), Boazu, Espeks
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

Spannko wrote: 2022-01-30 05:40
tpetsch wrote: If I may elaborate: What I'm hearing is that on clip (1) each note hits right on the mark, the band is super tight and the performance really flows along effortlessly when compared to clip (2).
That’s exactly as I hear it too. Clip 2 sounds like a typical modern digitally remastered/enhanced version of clip 1.
I do have the same kind of concerns……….
Playing cd’s…………
John
Very active member
Very active member

Post by John »

Clip two got my foot tapping.
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

These two clips remind me of the difference between two versions of Art Pepper Meets The Rhythm Section.

https://open.spotify.com/album/3DIRzZy ... DMz0GGjkog

https://open.spotify.com/album/0KVlRrp ... 44VlBDdXGg

Have a listen and see if you agree
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

Two as well,
it seems to be on a higher compexity level. Going back to one I am missing something.

Fredrik,
please can you provide a link to the track on Spotify?
Thanks
Matt

MBP / Exposure pre + power (both modified) / JBL3677
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

1 is with ground loop
2 is with ground loop lifted

maybe maybe not because I cant make sense that those clips appear in the Lejonklou section … maybe a tuning option for the JBL 308?

on 2 I think the instruments sound more natural
on 1 I think the instruments sound exaggerated

I have to say I was in the 1 camp before because I thought it was flowing better but I think 2 is the one which will let you enjoy music longer/more.

on a side note: does it have an impact on musicality to disconnect the front status LED‘s?
Last edited by Defender on 2022-01-30 20:11, edited 3 times in total.