Slipsik 8

Conversations about Lejonklou Products and this Forum

Moderator: Staff

macrotech2
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Two clips to compare

Post by macrotech2 »

Definitely 2 for me too. Going back to 1 I can feel that I’m struggling to make as much sense of the music as I was on 2. I agree with everything ThomasOK said in his comments.

I don’t normally listen to the clip comparisons on here but it’s now so easy to play them to Källa from my phone.

Very intrigued to know what we’re comparing here.
Källa/Sagatun Mono Tarandus/Tundra Mono 3/Avalon Idea Mk2
tpetsch
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tpetsch »

Defender wrote: 2022-01-30 19:43 1 is with ground loop
2 is with ground loop lifted

maybe maybe not

on 2 I think the instruments sound more natural
on 1 1 think the instruments sound exaggerated

I have to say I was in the 1 camp before because I thought it was flowing better but I think 2 is the one which will let you enjoy music longer/more.

on a side note: does it have an impact on musicality to disconnect the front status LED‘s?
Interesting, and I thought the opposite. ...I think (1) is the clip of a system which will let me enjoy listening to music longer/more. This is fundamental Tune Method for me. Like when it's said that an In-Tune front end will get you closer & more naturally involved with the fundamental performance than a less In-Tune front end no matter what gear the rest of your system is comprised of, be it a small Creek integrated amp into a pair of small inexpensive two ways or a fully blown -bigger/fuller sounding- by comparison Naim / Isobarik Aktive system. One will be more "fun" to listen to yes, because it's bigger and hits harder, but if it's out of tune than I'll take the small sounding In Tune Creek system. ...For me things that are not in tune give me a headache after an album side which makes me want to get up, shut the system down and seek other things to do.
Last edited by tpetsch on 2022-01-30 20:35, edited 1 time in total.
Rega P10, Aphelion II, Aura. Naim CB 32.5/HC, Naxo 3-6/HC, 3x250 into K20/DMS.
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

I hear what you are saying and can relate to it but we might sometimes have different opinions what we call in tune. Fore some its flow, for some timing, for some if certain things of the sound are not bearable so for them it cant be in tune.
Sometimes perceived details make you thing its better in tune. I have to say I am also a tune dem student (although its getting better) so my opinion doesn’t count much.
tpetsch
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tpetsch »

Defender wrote: 2022-01-30 20:17 I hear what you are saying and can relate to it but we might sometimes have different opinions what we call in tune. Fore some its flow, for some timing, for some if certain things of the sound are not bearable so for them it cant be in tune.
Sometimes perceived details make you thing its better in tune. I have to say I am also a tune dem student (although its getting better) so my opinion doesn’t count much.
I for one Value your opinions here Defender, and I'm picking up what you're putting down. "Like"!
This one will be an interesting conclusion for sure..
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

lejonklou wrote: 2022-01-29 16:23 The subject line of this topic (currently 'Two clips to compare') will change when I reveal what we're comparing.

The reveal will be the 1st of February 2022.

Happy listening!

1: https://www.dropbox.com/s/vuibxxhb6kw58jq/1.MOV?dl=0

2: https://www.dropbox.com/s/8g7pfi2wl8l53sf/2.MOV?dl=0
Number two sounds a little more natural and realistic to me, but both sound good, and I like the song too!

Cheers
Tony Tune-age
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

Since it is posted in the Lejonklou section there must be a (new) Lejonklou product involved.
My guess:
1 Giella Pi
2 Giella Pi circuit with an optimised SMPS
Matt

MBP / Exposure pre + power (both modified) / JBL3677
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

Well I said what it is for others but I didnt say what it is for me because I struggled with „follow the tune“ in the beginning. As every music has a certain tune which in my opinion is easy to hear.
But the instruments play different tunes which support the main tune (like in an orchestra) and when I hear different layers of the tune/ instruments like wheels of a transmission working hand in hand together the music is in tune for me. That creates understanding of what the musician are doing.
That means it has a certain aspect of timing and flow and emotion and engagement in it.
When I need to refocus from the singer to the bass guitar to the drum etc. to understand the music something is not right.
More details will favor one instrument but overlay another.

Maybe I have a completely wrong understanding so don’t take my opinion.
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

matthias wrote: 2022-01-30 20:57
Since it is posted in the Lejonklou section there must be a (new) Lejonklou product involved.
My guess:
1 Giella Pi
2 Giella Pi circuit with an optimised SMPS
could be - but why is the TV running than?
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

It is simple. It is Cirkus versus Karousel. :-)
Playing cd’s…………
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

beck wrote: 2022-01-30 21:11 It is simple. It is Cirkus versus Karousel. :-)
But why then in the Lejonklou section and not in the playground?
Last edited by matthias on 2022-01-30 22:55, edited 1 time in total.
Matt

MBP / Exposure pre + power (both modified) / JBL3677
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

This is turning out to be a real vote splitter! Ive just spent the last 15 mins listening to both tracks over and over. To me, track 2 definitely sounds like a cleaned up version of track 1. Initially it’s more impressive, but when the band all come in together, on track 2 the bass player decides to have a party on their own!
Discodave
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Discodave »

Agree they are different in sound presentation and I enjoyed both.

But musically it's definately 2 for me. It just swings.
LP12, Lingo 3, Cirkus/Kore, Tramp 2, Basik Plus Ania, Linto
Majik Ds, Kisto, Tundra 2.0, Majik 109
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

Curious that we hear the same things, or describe what we hear in the same way, at least: same terms such that we can relate to each other's point of view; just that we're responding the same but to the opposite clip... Respect to both sides: we hear what we hear, and it seems we're all applying tune-dem to the best of our understanding & ability. It'll be interesting to find out what's what, and whether that goes any way to providing insight into the polar preferences. Roll on Feb.1 :)
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

My interpretation of the thread so far is that there is still confusion around what constitutes a tune based method of evaluation. If Fredrik’s guidance ( https://www.lejonklou.com/wp-content/u ... Method.pdf) was understood and implemented to the letter there really shouldn’t be any disagreements. The fact that not everyone agrees suggests a problem with either understanding or implementation.
tpetsch
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tpetsch »

Spannko wrote: 2022-01-31 16:51 My interpretation of the thread so far is that there is still confusion around what constitutes a tune based method of evaluation. If Fredrik’s guidance ( https://www.lejonklou.com/wp-content/u ... Method.pdf) was understood and implemented to the letter there really shouldn’t be any disagreements. The fact that not everyone agrees suggests a problem with either understanding or implementation.
And for Additional reference -I like the "Steps" analogy: ( https://www.linn.co.uk/us/tune-dem)
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Spannko wrote: 2022-01-31 16:51 My interpretation of the thread so far is that there is still confusion around what constitutes a tune based method of evaluation. If Fredrik’s guidance ( https://www.lejonklou.com/wp-content/u ... Method.pdf) was understood and implemented to the letter there really shouldn’t be any disagreements. The fact that not everyone agrees suggests a problem with either understanding or implementation.
I think people vary in the way their ears/brains interpret music, hence we can sometimes get differences of opinion even amongst non-audiophiles. I don't think there is always a universal 'best' option for every music lover.
Nature

Post by Nature »

I hear a difference.
Have listened for a very long time.
Musical difference? Sound difference? Tough.
I like listening to 1.MOV better.
2.MOV makes me think of "In your face" and I do not like that. But it is minimal.
Robert Lake

Post by Robert Lake »

First impression 2 is the best. Number 1 is how I am used to hear musik. From the radio, tv and now Youtube. Number 2 is more dynamik, more live, and instruments are clearly separated. As things are in good hi-fi, often from a good electric input. Just listen to the piano when it starts. Very interesting performance perhaps because it is not so easy to follow and predict. I am surprised by the piano and what follows. That is fun.

But then maybe 2 is a bit hyper-realistic compared to my musical memory of this type of music. It drives my attention to the individual instruments rather than than the band and the musical aragement of the song. I recall listen to and being impressed by swing music because the band is so tight. They play like a smooth unit. You like to dance and be swept away on the dance floor. Or simply enjoy the tune over and over again. My musical memory influences me as do the hi-fi qualities.

If 2 was an upgrade offered to me I would not jump into it directly. I would listen to more types of musik first.
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

thats funny Robert, for me it is the opposite.
on track 1 the individual instruments fighting for attention and on track 2 they play together without me refocussing from one instrument to another.
springwood64
Very active member
Very active member

Post by springwood64 »

macrotech2 wrote: 2022-01-30 19:46 Definitely 2 for me too. Going back to 1 I can feel that I’m struggling to make as much sense of the music as I was on 2.
I've gone back again and listened on my PC via headphones. For me this reinforces my original listening and I think the above summarises it best.

I can make sense of 2 far more than 1. It was close on my phone loudspeakers but still in favour of 2, but on my PC and with headphones 2 is much easier to follow for me. I'm not a big jazz listener so the music is challenging for me to understand.

I enjoy 2, but I am indifferent to 1
Pete

Linn Axis, Kinki, Källa (GS308T+Amplifi HD x 2 + BJC), Boazu, Espeks
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

I think I’ve worked it out. Track 2 is played by Eric Morecambe.

https://youtu.be/uMPEUcVyJsc

and accompanied by Les Dawson

https://youtu.be/qxmu9HKN4gY
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Lego »

Struggled to hear any meaningful difference,if pushed I'd go for 1 for the emotion in the trumpet playing and we got to hear Johnny Hogdes part 😄. Initially maybe 2 had a bit more swing (ooops!). Couldn't resist .
I know that tune
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Spannko wrote: 2022-01-30 21:58 This is turning out to be a real vote splitter! Ive just spent the last 15 mins listening to both tracks over and over. To me, track 2 definitely sounds like a cleaned up version of track 1. Initially it’s more impressive, but when the band all come in together, on track 2 the bass player decides to have a party on their own!
That's OK, we all make mistakes. ;-)

(Sorry, I couldn't resist. After all turnabout is fair play.)
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

ThomasOK wrote: 2022-02-01 18:33
Spannko wrote: 2022-01-30 21:58 This is turning out to be a real vote splitter! Ive just spent the last 15 mins listening to both tracks over and over. To me, track 2 definitely sounds like a cleaned up version of track 1. Initially it’s more impressive, but when the band all come in together, on track 2 the bass player decides to have a party on their own!

A simple Like wouldn't do ^^^ justice. LOL :D
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

ThomasOK wrote: 2022-02-01 18:33

😂😉👍