Like button

Conversations about Lejonklou Products and this Forum

Moderator: Staff

John
Very active member
Very active member

Like button

Post by John »

Is there a like feature as part of the forum software? If so, it should be turned on.
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Like button

Post by matthias »

I dislike "Like" buttons and I hope the Lejonklou forum will stay "Like" button free.
Matt

MBP / Exposure pre + power (both modified) / JBL3677
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

There is no "like button" readily available, but there are some extensions that are possible to add.

For instance one is called 'Thanks for posts' and another 'PostLove'.

The question is whether the positive consequences of adding such a feature outweigh the negative ones. I am skeptical.
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

lejonklou wrote: 2022-01-29 15:04 There is no "like button" readily available, but there are some extensions that are possible to add.

The question is whether the positive consequences of adding such a feature outweigh the negative ones. I am skeptical.
Forum members can always reply to a post, and say something like "thanks for sharing," or "thanks for posting, "or "thanks for the post," or "your post is appreciated," or "I like your post," etc.

Just a thought...
Tony Tune-age
jajo

Post by jajo »

I am also against the Like button.

What I like (no pun intended) with this forum is that is so friendly and people always thank you when you spend that extra time to share knowledge and impressions. It is worth so much more than just hitting the Like-button in my opinion. Keep it focused on written text and avoid adding the "social" features that generally lead to less quality content and real discussion (from my experience).
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

I honestly don’t know if it’s a good idea or not. I’m not sure what the advantages are, or for that matter, what the disadvantages are.

I’ve never known genuine feedback to be a problem: some of us need it from time to time!

Why don’t we have a brain storming session and see where it takes us.

I can foresee one problem. This site possibly has more silent readers than any other forum I know. The playground has attracted nearly 2 million views! That’s pretty amazing for a niche forum. However, many readers are still sceptical about the concept of the tune method of evaluation, and quite a few prolific posters have been sent running with their tail between their legs when they’ve tried to challenge the idea! I can see any kind of challenge to the forum rules receiving tremendous support from the silent majority, which I don’t feel would be helpful.

Would this be outweighed by any advantages? I really don’t know.
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

I am with jajo in this point.
From my experiences on several audio forums I do not see any advantages with "Like" buttons.
Alone the decision to "like" or not to "like" every post I read is a dislike for me.
Much better in my view to write an answer to a certain post.
Matt

MBP / Exposure pre + power (both modified) / JBL3677
tpetsch
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tpetsch »

What I like about the "like" button is to simply make a comment on an already existing post where the poster made a passing statement -or simply said something really funny- that added to the conversation in a way that you appreciate. "Liking" does not add more unhelpful posts to the forum, people creating whole posts to simply say they like something clutters the forum and important posts on topic may tend to get overlooked, takes more time to sort thru all the postings. Posters that get "Likes" get positive feedback on what they contribute and become emboldened to contribute more. With no Like button post contributors may feel that no one cares what they have to say and they may loose interest in posting. ...Although I should add that people here tend not to clutter with like posts.

One thing that I don't like about the "like" button is when -over passing years- some well written forum members -some with skewed self serving motives- seem to become the final word in all things audio and get 50 likes when ever they say "Boo". Or, when a majority of members are invested in a certain piece of gear on a forum than that piece of gear when ever mentioned in a positive way by an outspoken forum member instantly gets 50 likes. ...This seems to me an almost self perpetuating phenomenon, people buying a piece of gear because many "like" it all the time, and then they "Like" it again after they own it whenever mentioned, almost tribal and as a result people who bring up different/new gear can get instantly dismissed in the process, so some may feel why even bother posting about anything different knowing the "Like" squad may totally ignore it. This is why the "Playground" here is so unique & important, let people figure things out for themselves thru the Playground -the Tune- and detailed, insightful conversation and lets not be a forum where the "Like" button figures things out for some of us.

So IMO having no "like" button here on "this" forum turns out to be a big breath of fresh air for me.
Rega P10, Aphelion II, Aura. Naim CB 32.5/HC, Naxo 3-6/HC, 3x250 into K20/DMS.
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

Tony Tune-age wrote: 2022-01-29 15:15
lejonklou wrote: 2022-01-29 15:04 There is no "like button" readily available, but there are some extensions that are possible to add.

Forum members can always reply to a post, and say something like "thanks for sharing," or "thanks for posting, "or "thanks for the post," or "your post is appreciated," or "I like your post," etc.

Just a thought...
I'd have to agree: the absence of a like button promotes discussion, whether it's something to extend the conversation, a simple comment to express acknowledgement or gratitude, or a +1 (not much a fan of +1 as it doesn't add much... just 1 ;)
A like button and a tally that would likely go with it runs the risk of popularity contests, cliques liking each others posts, and raises the specter of the corollary dislike button :/
The forum has done well without, and I don't quite see what a like would add (beyond 1 to a count :)
cortina

Post by cortina »

I also dislike ”Like-buttons”. On many forums they quickly turn into back-pounding among people with similar equipment, views, opinion etc and thereby risk creating polarisation or limiting the discussions in cases when one view gets loads of likes while a minority view does not.
So I am in favour of people writing their genuine appreciation in a post.
Arjen
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Arjen »

Totally agree. No buttons. This forum invites us to discuss content. Some threads already sometimes tend to be unilateral because of focussed on only one or two brands and trends with the danger of missing other trends and brands or the danger of exclusion of other angles than the mains. This forum should not become a forum of just believers.
Using buttons strengthen polarization tendencies as we see on social media, which in the end will result in a boring and uninteresting forum.
Lenco 76/S TJN, Dr. Fuss, Supernait2, CD5X, Slipsik7.1, Millon Phantom, Soundeck, AudioSensibility
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

Arjen wrote: 2022-02-04 17:19This forum should not become a forum of just believers.
Can you expand on this Arjen please. I’m not sure I understand what you mean.
Arjen
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Arjen »

Hi Spanko, I mean if people are very into one brand or trend they might overlook the qualities of other brands or trends. And when using an (support/applause) button open discussions tends to be avoid by then I’m afraid.
Lenco 76/S TJN, Dr. Fuss, Supernait2, CD5X, Slipsik7.1, Millon Phantom, Soundeck, AudioSensibility