The future of Boazu and passive speakers

Conversations about Lejonklou Products and this Forum

Moderator: Staff

Whatsmynaim

The future of Boazu and passive speakers

Post by Whatsmynaim »

I've been thinking.. Uh-oh! Should I even upgrade my Boazu to 1.3 when the near future is about stuff like pre-amplifiers and active speakers. Because like obviously everyone else here, I want the gear that's giving me the best music experience.

In short, can a very good integrated amplifier + passive speakers even compete?
V.A.MKD
Very active member
Very active member

Re: The future of Boazu and passive speakers

Post by V.A.MKD »

Whatsmynaim wrote: 2021-09-06 07:37 I've been thinking.. Uh-oh! Should I even upgrade my Boazu to 1.3 when the near future is about stuff like pre-amplifiers and active speakers. Because like obviously everyone else here, I want the gear that's giving me the best music experience.

Yes, it can compete (and upgrade it ... ) ...
Active monitors are strictly targeted products ... for Pro usage and in the last period for domestic ... OK, they can be musical, but they are not perfect as are not perfect passive speakers ... Only advantage here is price and saving same space on shelves ...
From musical point of view there are a lot of passive & musical solutions including most probably JBL passive one's ...
This is just my opinion, that doesn't mean that I'm right, just one way to happiness ...
Music First ...
Vlado
sunbeamgls
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sunbeamgls »

My experience is that its not possible to say generically that one is better than the other.

For sure, there are differences, but the implementation is everything. There are excellent examples of both, and terrible examples of both.

So its best to consider what your priorities are (e.g. space saving, budget, ability to mix and match, just one more step or last time buy etc.) then go and listen to the choices.

BTW, Boazu sounds fantastic with passive Akubariks, so it is very capable.
KSH/0; KEBox/2; 3x Tundra Stereo 2.5; PMC fact.12. Blogger. Exakt Design. SO measuring.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

sunbeamgls wrote: 2021-09-06 12:48 the implementation is everything
I couldn't agree more.
u252agz
Very active member
Very active member

Post by u252agz »

Whatsmynaim wrote: 2021-09-06 07:37 I've been thinking.. Uh-oh! Should I even upgrade my Boazu to 1.3 when the near future is about stuff like pre-amplifiers and active speakers. Because like obviously everyone else here, I want the gear that's giving me the best music experience.

I'm not sure that there are many active speakers that are as musical as a Boazu with say Majik 109s or other good Linn speakers.

The complexity of these and future servicing issues would give me concerns, even if i did find a musical active speaker. The aesthetics of the recently described JBL 308 Mk I (unavailable) and 708p is another issue, at least for me.

Most of the talk about preamplifiers seems to be about digital volume controls and whilst Linns DVCs are improving ( at least in KDS) I am not sure they are at the level of Giella Pi/Sagatun mono.

My own feeling is that the more the industry moves towards digital preamps and active speakers - the more I will cherish simple and high quality integrated amps ( and good separate pre and power amps).
Kalla/Sag M/Tun M3/242/LP12/Slip7

Kalla/Giella Pi/JBL308/RS2e

Majik LP12/Boazu/110s
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Chances are you can upgrade your source a long way before needing to touch the Boazu.

I recently noticed a couple of Naim forum members that have downgraded expensive 500 Series amps and various power supplies for a Supernait to removed boxes and simplify their HiFi, keeping a very good source, and seem to be very happy with the move.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

u252agz wrote: 2021-09-09 08:27 Most of the talk about preamplifiers seems to be about digital volume controls and whilst Linns DVCs are improving ( at least in KDS) I am not sure they are at the level of Giella Pi/Sagatun mono.

My own feeling is that the more the industry moves towards digital preamps and active speakers - the more I will cherish simple and high quality integrated amps ( and good separate pre and power amps).
I'm totally with you on this!
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

ThomasOK wrote: 2021-09-09 19:07
u252agz wrote: 2021-09-09 08:27 Most of the talk about preamplifiers seems to be about digital volume controls and whilst Linns DVCs are improving ( at least in KDS) I am not sure they are at the level of Giella Pi/Sagatun mono.

I'm totally with you on this!
I agree with both of you guys...100%
Tony Tune-age
Arjen
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Arjen »

Charlie1 wrote: 2021-09-09 11:32 Chances are you can upgrade your source a long way before needing to touch the Boazu.

I recently noticed a couple of Naim forum members that have downgraded expensive 500 Series amps and various power supplies for a Supernait to removed boxes and simplify their HiFi, keeping a very good source, and seem to be very happy with the move.
Long live the Supernait2 and Slipsik7.1 Charlie!
Lenco 76/S TJN, Dr. Fuss, Supernait2, CD5X, Slipsik7.1, Millon Phantom, Soundeck, AudioSensibility