Lejonklou pre into Linn Majik DSM

Conversations about Lejonklou Products and this Forum

Moderator: Staff

jtx

Lejonklou pre into Linn Majik DSM

Post by jtx »

Hello everybody,

I have a Majik DSM/3 with a Tundra 2.5 powering Majik 140s.
This is a superb match but I feel something is lacking in the restitution when listening to the streamer, mostly after having had a vinyl listening session. I think this a logical sensation but it makes me searching in upgrading my system.

I can not afford an Akurate DSM so i am thinking about adding a preamp to my DSM.
I am sure a Sagatun or a Boazu would greatly improve the overall sound but what about a Giella (which is in my price range) ?

And how the phonostage in my DSM would react ? would it be also improved ?

Thanks for your opinions !

Jtx
Majik DSM/3, Rega Planar 3/exact, Lehmann phono Black Cube SE II, Lejonklou Tundra 2.5, Majik 140
sunbeamgls
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Lejonklou pre into Linn Majik DSM

Post by sunbeamgls »

Nothing before the pre-amp would change its capabilities nor what is is adding or taking away from the music.

What may change is your ability to hear what that component is doing - in theory a better pre-amp will expose its positives and negatives. This is a fundamental part of why source first is important as anything lost at source can't be recovered by the rest of the system.

If you are thinking that you will move to an ADSM or ADS in the future, then this may be something you are happy to live with for a while knowing that a better source is on its way. If you go with ADSM then it may not be a wise investment to purchase a pre-amp now. For similar money to a Boazu or Sagatun you could purchase an ADS or ADSM (albeit an older model).
KSH/0; KEBox/2; 3x Tundra Stereo 2.5; PMC fact.12. Blogger. Exakt Design. SO measuring.
jtx

Post by jtx »

Thank you for your answer Sunbeamgls,

I know there is a hierarchy and a rule of source first but i am actually wondering if a slighty better preamp could improve the sound without ruining the balance of the system.

The Giella is interesting because it is cheaper than the Boazu and the Sagatun.
If it could enhance a little bit the sound of the DSM without being overkill and also if it could improve the sound of the Majik phono preamp, then it would be a very cost effective and attractive solution for me.

If not, i can happily stay with my current system for some more years and effectively look for a used Akurate or a used Selekt DSM when I can afford it.
Majik DSM/3, Rega Planar 3/exact, Lehmann phono Black Cube SE II, Lejonklou Tundra 2.5, Majik 140
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

If the streaming is where you find the weakness musically and the LP playing is fine a preamp isn't the most likely place to look. While I have no doubt the Giella would be a much better preamp than that built into the MDSM, it is hard to say how much it will improve the sources, which are more important. A used Akurate DS or DSM is worth considering but it doesn't sound like you are in a hurry. In which case you might want to see what other developments come along.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
fatjulio

Post by fatjulio »

ThomasOK wrote: 2021-04-06 22:06 In which case you might want to see what other developments come along.
I feel that could have been a .... sentence ending.
jtx

Post by jtx »

Thanks for your inputs ThomasOK and fatjulio ;-)
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

fatjulio wrote: 2021-04-07 04:33
ThomasOK wrote: 2021-04-06 22:06 In which case you might want to see what other developments come along.
I feel that could have been a .... sentence ending.
I had to decide how coy I should be about it.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
Mitmu

Post by Mitmu »

Had exactly the same set-up, MDSM/3 into Tundra 2.5 and had the exact same feeling something was 'missing' and for sure the pre-amp section in the MDSM could be better in my opinion and was marked as the weak link.

So I tried the addition of a Sagatun and it was a mega improvement, so much more open, airy and musical, awesome combo! Thing I could not get used to was the remote control for the volume.... I might sound crazy but that was the deal breaker unfortunately for me, used to Linn app control for the last 15 years. Also the voice in my head kept saying the source is the weak link then, so probably a source upgrade was the next thing to do and i did not want to end up in this path.

Back to the MDSM and Tundra combo waiting for the the 'perfect' upgrade, which presented itself after a couple of weeks resulting in a wonderfulp ADSM/3 with Katalyst. Again a very, very big step forward, Katalyst is slightly awesome, and I am very happy now :)

If you can get used to the remote control the Sagatun is a clear path to follow and will for sure not disappoint!
Harbeth Compact 7ES-3 40th-SuperKikkin-Kalla-Tundra 2.5
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

its interesting how people are different - I can understand when you are used to using an app for everything it might seem strange to use the remote control.

However in my case the volume control for the Sagatun is simply the best thing besides its musical qualities.
I am turning the volume a lot up and down - I wouldnt like to wake up an IPad or a phone for it which usually involves accessing it with a finger print or a passcode.
Also the color scheme is simply an easier orientation than a turning volume knob or numbers.
But that is just me but I understand your milage is different and thats fine too.
Did you compare the DVC of the Akurate DSM Katalyst to the Sagatun?
Mitmu

Post by Mitmu »

Defender wrote: 2021-04-10 12:24 its interesting how people are different - I can understand when you are used to using an app for everything it might seem strange to use the remote control.

However in my case the volume control for the Sagatun is simply the best thing besides its musical qualities.
I am turning the volume a lot up and down - I wouldnt like to wake up an IPad or a phone for it which usually involves accessing it with a finger print or a passcode.
Also the color scheme is simply an easier orientation than a turning volume knob or numbers.
But that is just me but I understand your milage is different and thats fine too.
Did you compare the DVC of the Akurate DSM Katalyst to the Sagatun?
Understand completely what you say, but all my equipment is in a closed kabinet, nothing is visible so there the trouble starts already.

THe DVC vs Sagatun is still 'noticeable', especially the impact of the music on lower volume is still something what the Sagatun does extremely good, but for me the upgraded source is already such a big step now that I can live with this, i am happy :)
jtx

Post by jtx »

Hello Mitmu,
Very interesting post !
Thank you very much for sharing your experience. I understand for the lack of remote being a deal breaker.
Did you use a turntable a that time ?
I would like to know how the Dsm's phonostage would react with an external pre-amp.
If its signal would stay analog all the way or if it would have to be digitized via the Dsm's dac.
Mitmu

Post by Mitmu »

jtx wrote: 2021-04-11 15:28 Hello Mitmu,
Very interesting post !
Thank you very much for sharing your experience. I understand for the lack of remote being a deal breaker.
Did you use a turntable a that time ?
I would like to know how the Dsm's phonostage would react with an external pre-amp.
If its signal would stay analog all the way or if it would have to be digitized via the Dsm's dac.
I know nothing about turntables at all.... don't have one, and am resisting to buy one ;) I know myself and a turntable is something for me that can (and probably will) act as a bottomless pit..

The Sagatun is with a remote, but this does not work when the amp is placed in a closed kabinet ;)