Lejonklou Active Crossover

Conversations about Lejonklou Products and this Forum

Moderator: Staff

Gammaboy

Lejonklou Active Crossover

Post by Gammaboy »

Is there a chance of seeing a Lejonklou active crossover in the near future? I am considering replacing Naim electronics with Lejonklou in an active system driving Isobariks. A sticking point is what to use for a crossover. The best option seems to be the Exposure VXN active crossover (analogue/ RCA/ dual mono) with separate power supply. The Exposure units seem to be a popular choice for Kudos speakers, which may explain why Kudos dealers also carry the Exposure brand.

Any comments would be appreciated.
tpetsch
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Lejonklou Active Crossover

Post by tpetsch »

What are you currently using Naim NAXO 3/6 with HiCap? You can still use those, just need some custom cables, 4-pin Din to RCA x 3 sets for Naxo to amps, than you can go direct to Naxo with another custom RCA to 4-Pin Din from the Pre-amp out -slight mod required, not sure how it will sound until you try of course. ...I have had good results with this type of set up over the years with Linn Klouts into DMS using Naxo for instance. Chord Co. makes these cables as many others also do....
Rega P10, Aphelion II, Aura. Naim CB 32.5/HC, Naxo 3-6/HC, 3x250 into K20/DMS.
sunbeamgls
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sunbeamgls »

Akurate System Hub and Exaktbox6/1 with Lejonklou Tundra Stereo or Mono.

I use ASH, Exaktbox6/1 and 3x Tundra Stereo 2.5 with PMC Twenty.26
KSH/0; KEBox/2; 3x Tundra Stereo 2.5; PMC fact.12. Blogger. Exakt Design. SO measuring.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Gammaboy wrote: 2021-03-07 17:13 Is there a chance of seeing a Lejonklou active crossover in the near future?
Hello Gammaboy!

Short answer: No, an active filter that can be adjusted to many different speaker models is not one of my six current projects.
macrotech2
Very active member
Very active member

Post by macrotech2 »

lejonklou wrote: 2021-03-08 04:17
Gammaboy wrote: 2021-03-07 17:13 Is there a chance of seeing a Lejonklou active crossover in the near future?
Hello Gammaboy!

Short answer: No, an active filter that can be adjusted to many different speaker models is not one of my six current projects.
Well, there’s the teaser of the day. “My six current projects”!
Källa/Sagatun Mono Tarandus/Tundra Mono 3/Avalon Idea Mk2
Gammaboy

Post by Gammaboy »

Thanks for the replies. The plan is to find an analogue solution that works with RCA connections.
sunbeamgls
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sunbeamgls »

Gammaboy wrote: 2021-03-08 19:57 Thanks for the replies. The plan is to find an analogue solution that works with RCA connections.
In that case you could choose to be very patient and wait for a used Linn Tunebox to turn up - there is an early version dedicated to Isobarik and a later version into which mono active cards for Isobariks could be inserted.

It seems unlikely that Exposure will produce a VXN for the Isobarik, although there's enough choice of slopes if you can find out what the slopes are on an Isobarik. There will still be a small compromise on areas such as baffle step.

Just FYI, the current VXN exists purely because of Kudos working with Exposure to make it happen, hence the popularity with Kudos speakers.
KSH/0; KEBox/2; 3x Tundra Stereo 2.5; PMC fact.12. Blogger. Exakt Design. SO measuring.
Gammaboy

Post by Gammaboy »

Thanks for the advice on the Linn Tunebox.

The Exposure crossover is available as either a two-way or three-way. My understanding is that Kudos asked Exposure if they could make an all analogue crossover as an option to the digital offerings from Linn and Devialet. The chief designer at Exposure modified the crossover he built for his own Isobariks and made it commercially available. I believe it can be set up for a variety of two and three-way speakers when it is ordered.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

I too think it is likely Exposure would make the crossover for the Isobariks. They made one for them back in the days when the Aktiv Isobariks were the popular top speaker in the UK so I'm sure they have the proper curves and levels.

On the Linn Tunebox I think it is unlikely you can find what you want. I'm pretty certain Linn never made the mono crossover boards used in the older Tunebox for Isobarik speakers, only for Keltiks, Kabers, Keilidhs and forward. There was the original Linn Isobarik crossover which was a dedicated unit for the Isobarik only. The actual crossover itself came in only one version and that uses 3 pin Canon XLR connectors for all inputs and outputs (as it was designed to be used with the LK1/LK2xx units). There were two upgrades made available over time: the Dirak external shoebox size power supply, also used on some LK1s (think SPARK for LK1 and crossover) and the Bingo cart that went inside and further EQed the low bass. In addition to the problem of XLR connections you can add the cost of a rebuild. The Isobarik Aktiv Crossover used 22uF capacitors that Linn was fond of in many of their units. They, as well as other electrolytics, tend to go bad over time causing hiss, crackles and other problems and should be replaced. That doesn't sound too bad until you realize there are about 60 of them! I don't know anybody who recaps them fro under $700 and I note the UK company who likes to refurbish all things Isobarik offers to do so on this for a mere £1900! (Admittedly including the optional goodies.)

Here is a photo of the fully loaded uint, Dirak box on the right and the Bingo board in the front left of the main chassis. Note all those little cylindrical caps you see all over the place, many more hidden below the adjustment board in the top back.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

macrotech2 wrote: 2021-03-08 12:59
Hello Gammaboy!

I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you. ;-) (Actually, I don't know them all myself.)
The LP12 Whisperer
macrotech2
Very active member
Very active member

Post by macrotech2 »

ThomasOK wrote: 2021-03-09 22:43
Hello Gammaboy!

I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you. ;-) (Actually, I don't know them all myself.)
Shame! I’ll stay alive for the moment thanks. Seeing the original Brik tune box takes me back though. I was very fortunate to get a pre-release Bingo board to try out back in the day.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

macrotech2 wrote: 2021-03-09 23:21
ThomasOK wrote: 2021-03-09 22:43

Shame! I’ll stay alive for the moment thanks. Seeing the original Brik tune box takes me back though. I was very fortunate to get a pre-release Bingo board to try out back in the day.
I had that same Isobarik crossover with Bingo and Dirak and a slight mod I made to the regulator transistor mounting so it wouldn't blow up my speakers. This was driving 4 LK280/SPARKs into the Briks. I used that for a number of years before changing it out. I still have two pair of Isobariks and 2 LK280/SPARKs in my basement home theater. I also have one of the Isobarik crossovers waiting for me to feel like replacing 60+ caps! I haven't had much incentive to do this with the Quads in my main system, but in the back of my mind is the thought "What would Isobariks sound like with 6 or even 8 Tundra Monos?". Hmmm...
The LP12 Whisperer
sunbeamgls
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sunbeamgls »

ThomasOK wrote: 2021-03-09 22:40 I too think it is likely Exposure would make the crossover for the Isobariks. They made one for them back in the days when the Aktiv Isobariks were the popular top speaker in the UK so I'm sure they have the proper curves and levels.

On the Linn Tunebox I think it is unlikely you can find what you want. I'm pretty certain Linn never made the mono crossover boards used in the older Tunebox for Isobarik speakers, only for Keltiks, Kabers, Keilidhs and forward. There was the original Linn Isobarik crossover which was a dedicated unit for the Isobarik only. The actual crossover itself came in only one version and that uses 3 pin Canon XLR connectors for all inputs and outputs (as it was designed to be used with the LK1/LK2xx units). There were two upgrades made available over time: the Dirak external shoebox size power supply, also used on some LK1s (think SPARK for LK1 and crossover) and the Bingo cart that went inside and further EQed the low bass. In addition to the problem of XLR connections you can add the cost of a rebuild. The Isobarik Aktiv Crossover used 22uF capacitors that Linn was fond of in many of their units. They, as well as other electrolytics, tend to go bad over time causing hiss, crackles and other problems and should be replaced. That doesn't sound too bad until you realize there are about 60 of them! I don't know anybody who recaps them fro under $700 and I note the UK company who likes to refurbish all things Isobarik offers to do so on this for a mere £1900! (Admittedly including the optional goodies.)

Here is a photo of the fully loaded uint, Dirak box on the right and the Bingo board in the front left of the main chassis. Note all those little cylindrical caps you see all over the place, many more hidden below the adjustment board in the top back.
Interesting content, thanks Thomas.
macrotech2
Very active member
Very active member

Post by macrotech2 »

ThomasOK wrote: 2021-03-10 20:56 I had that same Isobarik crossover with Bingo and Dirak and a slight mod I made to the regulator transistor mounting so it wouldn't blow up my speakers. This was driving 4 LK280/SPARKs into the Briks. I used that for a number of years before changing it out. I still have two pair of Isobariks and 2 LK280/SPARKs in my basement home theater. I also have one of the Isobarik crossovers waiting for me to feel like replacing 60+ caps! I haven't had much incentive to do this with the Quads in my main system, but in the back of my mind is the thought "What would Isobariks sound like with 6 or even 8 Tundra Monos?". Hmmm...
This is taking me back to late 80s and onwards!

At the risk of boring others, I started with an LK1/Dirak and 3 LK280s with the crossover.

Then the Kairn arrived and the Dirak was used with the crossover (requiring breaking an Earth track on the Dirak board if I recall correctly).

Next Sparks were added to the 280s.

At this point I heard from Anthony that Flatcoat had used the spare speaker connector to split the bass units to have one connector each, so I did the same with four 280/Sparks.

The LK280/Sparks were then replaced by 2 Klout/2 LK100 and eventually 4 Klouts.

I used a lot of Mana supports at the time and was lucky to visit John Watson of Mana at his home several times. His system was the best I'd heard at that point and he recommended going back to passive with internal Falcon crossovers. I eventually manged to wire these up (a very tight squeeze in the back of the speaker) and I decided he was right.

The Isobariks lasted until 2002. As you say it would be very interesting to hear them on the end of Lejonklou electronics after all these years!
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

macrotech2 wrote: 2021-03-11 19:48 I used a lot of Mana supports at the time and was lucky to visit John Watson of Mana at his home several times. His system was the best I'd heard at that point and he recommended going back to passive with internal Falcon crossovers. I eventually manged to wire these up (a very tight squeeze in the back of the speaker) and I decided he was right.
Sounds very familiar to me.
I remember I listened at the Heathrow Hi-Fi show in the nineties to a complete Mana system.
For me it was the absolute best listening experience at that time, ultra dynamic, ultra fast, seemingly without limits.
Similar to what I have now with the JBL3677s.

Matt
Matt

MBP / Exposure pre + power (both modified) / JBL3677
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

I have heard them passive on the end of SM and TM, although only briefly in the store. I, along with two others, felt it was the best we had ever heard Isobariks, passive or Aktiv. The interesting thing about this is that all three of us had sold and installed Aktiv Isobarik systems for a number of years and two of us had owned them.
The LP12 Whisperer