Giella ∏ headphone amplifier

Conversations about Lejonklou Products and this Forum

Moderator: Staff

lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Giella ∏ headphone amplifier

Post by lejonklou »

Giella ∏ is a better and more powerful version of Giella, my first headphone amplifier, which was introduced in December 2020.

You can read about how Giella ∏ came to be in the Giella thread: https://www.lejonklou.com/forum/viewtop ... 302#p54302

How Giella ∏ performs musically is something you will need to experience yourself (and maybe those who have listened to it will share their impressions below). But the difference in power between the two models can be explained with numbers.

Below are the figures for Giella when turned up to the highest level it can play with minimal distortion.
The source feeding Giella has a nominal output level of 2 Vrms.
The numbers are, from left to right:
Impedance of headphones - maximum output in Volts rms @ 1 kHz - power in mW delivered to headphone per channel @ 1 kHz - maximum output in Volts rms @ 20 Hz - power in mW delivered to headphone per channel @ 20 Hz

600 - 6.51 - 71 - 6.48 - 70
300 - 6.50 - 141 - 6.47 - 140
100 - 6.49 - 421 - 5.57 - 310
32 - 3.17 - 314 - 1.97 - 121

As you can see in the bottom right figure above, the available power drops markedly at 32 ohms with a 20 Hz static tone at full volume. At 1 kHz, there's 314 mW available while at 20 Hz, it's 121 mW. If your 32 ohm headphones are efficient, no problem. If they are inefficient, maybe close to 90 dB/mW, your maximal volume will be restricted.

Below are the figures for Giella ∏, all other things equal:

600 - 6.51 - 71 - 6.48 - 70
300 - 6.50 - 141 - 6.47 - 140
100 - 6.49 - 421 - 6.46 - 417
32 - 5.22 - 851 - 5.22 - 851

As you can see, the maximum voltage is unchanged (6.5 Vrms). But the power at low impedance + low frequency doesn't drop.
If your headphones are efficient, no problem. If your headphones are inefficient, no problem.
teatime

Re: Giella ∏ headphone amplifier

Post by teatime »

Will Giella ∏ (That is "pi", right? Or how should it be pronounced?) replace the original Giella or will there be two separate models in the line up?
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

teatime wrote: 2021-02-15 13:20 Will Giella ∏ (That is "pi", right? Or how should it be pronounced?) replace the original Giella or will there be two separate models in the line up?
Yes, that's capital Pi.

Both models will be produced.
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

any chance your new findings find their way into Sagatun or other products?
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Defender wrote: 2021-02-15 20:48 any chance your new findings find their way into Sagatun or other products?
There's always a chance that they will.

I have learned a lot of things during the last year, some of them specific and others more general. I have a longer must-test-this-list than I have ever had before. It's all so exciting and fun!
Pierre@headonist

Post by Pierre@headonist »

My Giella left Paris. In its way to Sweden, it is now located in the Netherlands. Can't wait for its upgrade.
mrco99
Very active member
Very active member

Post by mrco99 »

Hello Pierre, welcome to the forum!

Thanks for your critical listening that resulted in an even better headphone stage - now aptly named Giella Pi.
Like you I am really looking forward to listening to this new Giella version.

All the best from Amsterdam,

Marco
Distributor of Lejonklou | Aqua | Graham Audio | Klangedang | NOKTable | Ophidian | The Wand
V.A.MKD
Very active member
Very active member

Post by V.A.MKD »

lejonklou wrote: 2021-02-15 20:57
Defender wrote: 2021-02-15 20:48 any chance your new findings find their way into Sagatun or other products?
There's always a chance that they will.

I have learned a lot of things during the last year, some of them specific and others more general. I have a longer must-test-this-list than I have ever had before. It's all so exciting and fun!
This is something very very good to hear ...
Music First ...
Vlado
V.A.MKD
Very active member
Very active member

Post by V.A.MKD »

Welcome to the best place on planet Pierre ... :-)
Music First ...
Vlado
Pierre@headonist

Thank you @mrco99 @V.A.MKD
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

V.A.MKD wrote: 2021-02-16 12:12 Welcome to the best place on planet Pierre ... :-)
+1...welcome to the forum Pierre!

Cheers!
Tony Tune-age
Pierre@headonist

Tony Tune-age wrote: 2021-02-16 14:34
V.A.MKD wrote: 2021-02-16 12:12 Welcome to the best place on planet Pierre ... :-)
+1...welcome to the forum Pierre!

Cheers!
Thank you Tony. I am glad to be here guys.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Yes, welcome Pierre. Your input has made for a valuable improvement. Now what do I have to do to get a Lejonklou product named after me?

While Fredrik has stated the reason for the Giella ∏, and the measurements that show what it does, he did not mention the other part here. From what I was told, the improvement in power output at low frequencies and low impedances also resulted in a significant musical improvement. This improvement is not only when listening to headphones, regardless of efficiency, but is also there on the preamp outputs, making this an even more musical Super Kikkin (without remote). There is more info on this in the Giella thread but I thought it should be noted here. Also as mentioned the Giella ∏ is significantly more expensive, from the sound of it I expect it to be worth every penny and look forward to getting the upgrades into some of my units.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

lejonklou wrote: 2021-02-15 13:23 Both models will be produced.
Would it be possible to cut production costs with offering only the Giella Pi?
Thanks

Matt
Matt

MBP / Exposure pre + power (both modified) / JBL3677
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

matthias wrote: 2021-02-16 22:44
lejonklou wrote: 2021-02-15 13:23 Both models will be produced.
Would it be possible to cut production costs with offering only the Giella Pi?
Thanks

Matt
No. They share the same platform, so only have to be equipped differently.
Pierre@headonist

Some fresh news about the Giella Pi which was upgraded by Fredrik. It landed back in Paris this morning.

This upgrade is definitely spectacular. Everything I loved with the Giella has improved (soundstage, euphony). Many things have revitalized (tones).

The soundstage and image are amazing, with width, depth and air between notes that only very high end amps convey (and I know many).

Tones are euphonic with the Giella. The Giella Pi brings something special in addition in this area : I can perceive the medium with very elaborated harmonic structure and dense tones. As far as the bass which I sometimes found invasive with the Giella, the Giella Pi still digs very low but bass are tight and contoured.

To put it straight: The Giella Pi treated me with a very emotional and engaging expression of music, combining opposite assets: amazing tube-like tones and soundstage, accuracy and speed of solid-state drive.
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

Great review! It makes me want to listen to it! :-)
Playing cd’s…………
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

beck wrote: 2021-03-04 20:41 Great review! It makes me want to listen to it! :-)
Yes, great review.
Me too, but as a pre amp, not as a HP amp.

Matt
Matt

ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Thanks for the review, Pierre. Now you have me looking forward to the Giella ∏ even more!

I really loved this part: "To put it straight: The Giella Pi treated me with a very emotional and engaging expression of music, combining opposite assets: amazing tube-like tones and soundstage, accuracy and speed of solid-state drive."

I think you have somewhat encapsulated Lejonklou gear overall. They all have this engaging expression of the music that transcends tube vs. solid state. Several of my dealers are big tube guys and they all love Lejonklou gear. I have found the Lejonklou gear, all of it, to be almost universally enjoyable to music lovers. Current owners often previously used Linn, Naim, various tube products including SET amps, passive preamps, etc. All find the Lejonklou gear just simply musical. One owner who works for a dealer said he can't tell people what the Boazu sounds like because "it has no sound of it's own, it just lets the music through". Echoing that reviewer David Abramson, in giving the Boazu his Stereo Times "Most Wanted of 2020" award said the Boazu: "did more nothing to the signal than just about any other amplifier in my memory" and that "it is dynamic, engaging, absolutely grainless, and quiet as a zen master in samadhi." He is another convert who sold his custom made tube integrated amp to buy the review sample Boazu, which I just finished upgrading to 1.3 - so he is in for an even bigger treat!

I notice this universal appeal also in the reviews as various Lejonklou products have been reviewed by a wide range of reviewers with different tastes in music and equipment, yet the products have been met with universal praise. I feel this speaks to the inherent musical naturalness and engagement that every Lejonklou product provides. And they provide it more than anything else I have heard. Fredrik is to be congratulated for the focus on the music he brings to his products and the the engineering skill and sheer determination he brings to the task of making these products real. I have never had music this enjoyable in my house before.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
Pierre@headonist

One of my client is currently testing the Giella Pi. He wanted to do so 'cause he had a feedback from a french forum member - a true headphone freak, very very demanding, who reported that he never listen something comparable to the Giella Pi.

My client opened the cardboard, called me to check with me "Is that all, the tiny box? Did you forget to send some box like an external power supply?". I laughed out loud.

These two gentlemen just can't believe their eyes and ears, that the tiny Giella Pi could deliver such a "big" sound.
teatime

Post by teatime »

Ok, there is some black magic going on here. My playlist ran out and I ended up in the Tidal "mix". Before I know it I found myself listening to - and enjoying - a 10 min+ Waterboys song! As far as I know, I don't even like The Waterboys!

Giella ∏ is simply amazing.
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

teatime wrote: 2021-04-06 14:59 Ok, there is some black magic going on here. My playlist ran out and I ended up in the Tidal "mix". Before I know it I found myself listening to - and enjoying - a 10 min+ Waterboys song! As far as I know, I don't even like The Waterboys!

Ha, what a fantastic review! I want to buy headphones just to get to listen to it! :-)
Playing cd’s…………
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

beck wrote: 2021-04-06 17:15
teatime wrote: 2021-04-06 14:59 Ok, there is some black magic going on here. My playlist ran out and I ended up in the Tidal "mix". Before I know it I found myself listening to - and enjoying - a 10 min+ Waterboys song! As far as I know, I don't even like The Waterboys!

Ha, what a fantastic review! I want to buy headphones just to get to listen to it! :-)
Thank you teatime!

Beck, there is no need for you to buy headphones. You can use it as a preamp. I know you lack one!
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

lejonklou wrote:
beck wrote:
teatime wrote: Ok, there is some black magic going on here. My playlist ran out and I ended up in the Tidal "mix". Before I know it I found myself listening to - and enjoying - a 10 min+ Waterboys song! As far as I know, I don't even like The Waterboys!

Thank you teatime!

Beck, there is no need for you to buy headphones. You can use it as a preamp. I know you lack one!
:-)

I would if I had the money, no doubt. In the meantime I will encourage everyone else to try it out. With the review above it really must be special!
Playing cd’s…………
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

I just read the complete review on https://www.headonist.fr/products/giella-pi with the help of Google translate:

VERY IMPRESSIVE, GREAT WORK, Fredrik (and Pierre) :-)

Matt
Matt