Kikkin 2.2. stopped playing (resolved)

Conversations about Lejonklou Products and this Forum

Moderator: Staff

willem kuis

Kikkin 2.2. stopped playing (resolved)

Post by willem kuis »

Hi,

My second hand Kikkin 2.2 s/n 0055 suddenly stopped playing.
I checked the cables. Nothing works. My other pre-amp is now replacing it, but the sound of that one misses the "tone" of the Lejonklou...
Can I send it to Uppsala for a thorough check?

Kind Regards from The Netherlands, Willem Kuis
Källa 1.0 # Sagatun 1.7 # Tundra 2.5 # Spec RSA 901-EX # Harbeth Super HL5+XD # REL Strata III
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Kikkin 2.2. stopped playing (resolved)

Post by lejonklou »

Hello Willem!

This is strange. I recently said that I can't remember any fault happening to a Kikkin, but now suddenly two appear to have broken at almost the same time. Yours is the second.

Yes, of course you can ship it to Uppsala for a check. Just make sure you have tested it thoroughly first.
Does it start up with four red blinks?
Does it light up green after that?
Does it go to blue (vol 40) after that?
Does it respond to remote commands?
No signal coming through the outputs although there's signal going in?
willem kuis

Post by willem kuis »

Hi Fredrik

Thanks for your prompt reply!
Here are my answers:
Does it start up with four red blinks? Yes
Does it light up green after that? Yes
Does it go to blue (vol 40) after that? Yes
Does it respond to remote commands? Yes
No signal coming through the outputs although there's signal going in? Yes

Plse let me know to which address I can send it.

Thanks, Willem Kuis
Källa 1.0 # Sagatun 1.7 # Tundra 2.5 # Spec RSA 901-EX # Harbeth Super HL5+XD # REL Strata III
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Thank you for the update Willem.

To find the address, click on the Lejonklou logo and scroll down to the bottom of the page. And please stay away from Postnord if you want it delivered.
willem kuis

Post by willem kuis »

Hi all,

Just want to mention that my Kikkin is alive and kikkin.
Still don't know exactly what was wrong, but as soon it arrived under Fredrik's hands it behaved well....
Anyway I got it back with an EU-Schuko plug and it plays impeccable for almost 3 months now.

Happy Customer!
nmakowsk

Post by nmakowsk »

Hi Willem kuis, after reading Fredrik sending out a reminder about a Kairn unit and its reversed outputs it reminded me that the Kikkin also features this reversed output. I have been floored by the performance of this small box for years now and I just wanted to make sure you are also connecting yours reversed either at tundra outputs or the speaker terminals. Once I did a demo with an earlier model Sagatun stereo unit and I felt that the Kikkin was still very close. The Sagatun stereo had maybe a little more fine details coming through but that "Lejonklou tone" that you mention was still there and sounded similar. I didn't feel like it would have been a huge step up to the stereo but I am excited to demo Sagatun mono one day as I bet I will then take notice. One thing that is brilliant is the color scale system which is why I asked Fredrik about using that on the Giella. He was very gracious to explain why it wouldn't be preferred on Giella. A used Kikkin is a steal and should be mentioned in the recommended kit for value thread. Glad you have yours up and running again. Enjoy...
Last edited by nmakowsk on 2020-12-31 14:35, edited 1 time in total.
LP12/Kar/ARad1/Kore/Ekos SE1/NOKTable/Adikt/Slipsik 8.0/Giella Pi 1.2/Tundra Stereo 2.2/1992 Briks
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

I too enjoyed the Kikkin for a few years. Great value for money. I seem to recall it was only about £500 when first launched.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Thank you guys! I get happy when I read your posts above.

I had one Kikkin saved on my lab. Late serial number and latest version; 2.2. It was constantly powered up since the day it was built in late 2010 and the reason was that I wanted to check if any of its electronic components would drift or loose their value over time. (They are still in top shape after 10 years, which validates my choice of components.)

Every time I listened to this Kikkin, I felt it captured the essence of the music so well. Still very proud and fond of that product.

Recently a good friend wanted to borrow my last Kikkin. He had a Klimax Kontrol and just wanted to give it a try. I said sure. Now he's sold the KK and says I'm not getting the Kikkin back.
tpetsch
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tpetsch »

lejonklou wrote: 2020-12-31 01:11 Thank you guys! I get happy when I read your posts above.

I had one Kikkin saved on my lab. Late serial number and latest version; 2.2. It was constantly powered up since the day it was built in late 2010 and the reason was that I wanted to check if any of its electronic components would drift or loose their value over time. (They are still in top shape after 10 years, which validates my choice of components.)

Every time I listened to this Kikkin, I felt it captured the essence of the music so well. Still very proud and fond of that product.

Recently a good friend wanted to borrow my last Kikkin. He had a Klimax Kontrol and just wanted to give it a try. I said sure. Now he's sold the KK and says I'm not getting the Kikkin back.
Hear Hear!! - I say here's to makkin a new Kikkin Ver 3.0 utilizing the new Giella electronics architecture.
Rega P10, Aphelion II, Aura. Naim CB 32.5/HC, Naxo 3-6/HC, 3x250 into K20/DMS.
Ron The Mon
Very active member
Very active member

Kikkin Giella (not resolved)

Post by Ron The Mon »

tpetsch wrote: 2020-12-31 04:44 Hear Hear!! - I say here's to makkin a new Kikkin Ver 3.0 utilizing the new Giella electronics architecture.
Hell Yeah!
Matteo
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Matteo »

Giella could be the new Kikkin
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Fredrik, might I suggest you print a Kikkin 3.0 sticker and include it with the Giella with an explanation that it also includes a headphone output as part of the design!
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
tpetsch
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tpetsch »

ThomasOK wrote: 2020-12-31 17:33 Fredrik, might I suggest you print a Kikkin 3.0 sticker and include it with the Giella with an explanation that it also includes a headphone output as part of the design!
True, but no remote, I'm looking for the Kikkin 3.0, not the 2.5.
Rega P10, Aphelion II, Aura. Naim CB 32.5/HC, Naxo 3-6/HC, 3x250 into K20/DMS.
willem kuis

Post by willem kuis »

I would not consider buying a Giella because it has no remote. Although I am very curious about its "tone".

However an even better Kikkin with remote and the coloured volume indicators would certainly appeal to me. I don't need the 4 inputs of a Sagatun, as my DAC does all the connecting stuff (HDMI, optical, coaxial, analogue, the works).
nmakowsk

Post by nmakowsk »

tpetsch wrote: 2020-12-31 20:05
ThomasOK wrote: 2020-12-31 17:33 Fredrik, might I suggest you print a Kikkin 3.0 sticker and include it with the Giella with an explanation that it also includes a headphone output as part of the design!
True, but no remote, I'm looking for the Kikkin 3.0, not the 2.5.
I agree with the issue being that there is no remote control on Giella. I Already have to get up and disc jockey records so also having to turn a volume control knob would add a bit more work. How about a single source dual box ultimate design like kikkin mono. Just two small cases next to each other would be a smaller footprint than Sagatun stereo. I only need one input/output solution as well. With Sagatun mono, I would need another rack as well.
LP12/Kar/ARad1/Kore/Ekos SE1/NOKTable/Adikt/Slipsik 8.0/Giella Pi 1.2/Tundra Stereo 2.2/1992 Briks