Woofer Pumping

Conversations about Lejonklou Products and this Forum

Moderator: Staff

FalseMetal666

Woofer Pumping

Post by FalseMetal666 »

I run a Denon DL-103 on a Technics arm and have been observing some woofer pumping in quiet passages. Leads me to believe the compliance mismatch between the cartridge and arm are a bit more serious than I’d thought.

Leads me to my question: does the Lejonklou Gaio have a rumble filter and if not, can anyone recommend a good one?

Obviously that is a bandaid that doesn’t address the likely cause of the problem but curious nonetheless. Thank you and hope you are all safe and sound.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Woofer Pumping

Post by lejonklou »

Hi FalseMetal!

I have no rumble filter on any of my current phono stages. Had a filter on early Slipsik's that could be switched on and off. It turned out nobody used it because it sounded a little worse with it on. Before removing it, I tested it on some seriously warped records and found that it was always better to have the filter off and let the woofer move around than to activate the filter and limit the woofer movements.

So your woofer pumping is probably nothing to worry about - it happens on a lot of records that are not perfectly flat.
FalseMetal666

Re: Woofer Pumping

Post by FalseMetal666 »

You're the man, Fredrik.