Lejonklou North American power cords

Conversations about Lejonklou Products and this Forum

Moderator: Staff

lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Lejonklou North American power cords

Post by lejonklou »

Regarding the North American power cords on my products, there are a couple of variants. I'll go through them here as Ron The Mon asked about them in the Playground thread.

1. The bigger cases that come with a detachable power cord were supplied with a Volex/Ta Hsing for quite a while. The cable (Ta Hsing) is oriented in the best sounding direction and I believe it's one of the most musical cords out there. I haven't yet compared it to number 2 below.

2. Recently (late 2019) I found a new version of this cord, with a Volex cable. This we can call the Volex/Volex cord. I have been told that Volex bought Ta Hsing (can't confirm whether that's correct) and therefore it might be the same as the above mentioned Volex/Ta Hsing (1), but the name on the cable now says Volex. Again, the direction of the cable is the best on these cords. This is the cord that Thomas has posted clips on and that he's now supplying. Apparently the best sounding North American power cord to date.

The phono stages have cords that are non removable, soldered directly to the power supply inside the case (a performance enhancing feature).

3. Entity has a Volex/Volex cord, but it's in fact not the same as the detachable Volex/Volex, because the plug differs. This plug is actually the best of all, but it's only available on this cord set without a connector. Therefore it's perfectly suited for my phono stages. The cable is also in the best sounding direction.
Adding a loose connector to this power cord doesn't sound good - been there, tried it, got the T-shirt and gave up - so for detachable use, number 2 above is the best.

4. Slipsik 7.1 was mainly used with a cord like number 3 above, but with a Ta Hsing cable. The ones currently being made will have a Volex cable - exactly the number 3 used on Entity. I'm not sure whether they differ in performance. Cable direction is the best one on both.

5. Gaio 2.4 uses the same cable as number 3 above, with the Ta Hsing cable in optimal direction. On the original Gaio (version 1), there may have been another cable brand, I am unsure. But the plug is the very best Volex one as used on number 3 and 4 - well, on all my products with non detachable cords.
markiteight

Re: Lejonklou North American power cords

Post by markiteight »

I am thoroughly enjoying these power cables. In the clips ThomasOK posted it is easy to hear the improvement, and that’s in comparison to an already very good cable. Replacing my mish-mash of random cables (it turns out there were actually two Longwell and one i-Sheng in there, but not Linn vetted versions) results in a profound musical gain. The best way I can think to describe it beyond the obvious ‘its just better’ is that before replacing the power cables the music was like an excited puppy: playful, a bit jumpy, and occasionally in your face. Fun, but tiring after a while. Now the music has taken on an air of calm maturity with a healthy dose of confidence. The degree of change is more significant than when I replaced my Rega Planar 25 with the LP12. A lot cheaper too! It's still early days but I expect they'll get even better.
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

Thanks for the review - good to confirm what we heard via ThomasOK's clips...

Not sure where to post this, so adding to this thread: has anyone tried these power cords on digital equipment, such as DS, Hakai, or (LS/Hakai) NAS? I know I can try for myself, especially since Tom sent me some cords but, if they make a 'profound musical gain' on my digital devices too, I'll need to order more, and I don't have enough at the moment to try on NAS & Hakai separately from running in on my Lejonklou (& LInn) boxes, hence the question.
Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tendaberry »

tokenbrit wrote: 2020-03-11 15:48Not sure where to post this, so adding to this thread: has anyone tried these power cords on digital equipment, such as DS, Hakai, or (LS/Hakai) NAS? I know I can try for myself, especially since Tom sent me some cords but, if they make a 'profound musical gain' on my digital devices too, I'll need to order more, and I don't have enough at the moment to try on NAS & Hakai separately from running in on my Lejonklou (& LInn) boxes, hence the question.
Well, the standard Linn power cord improves the performance of my Cisco switch quite a bit, so I would definitely try them on digital equipment, too. I think I have a Lejonklou Power One on my Qnap.
markiteight

Post by markiteight »

tokenbrit wrote: 2020-03-11 15:48 Thanks for the review - good to confirm what we heard via ThomasOK's clips...

Not sure where to post this, so adding to this thread: has anyone tried these power cords on digital equipment, such as DS, Hakai, or (LS/Hakai) NAS? I know I can try for myself, especially since Tom sent me some cords but, if they make a 'profound musical gain' on my digital devices too, I'll need to order more, and I don't have enough at the moment to try on NAS & Hakai separately from running in on my Lejonklou (& LInn) boxes, hence the question.
I haven't tried them with digital yet as my Hakai is hibernating. I do have enough of the new cables to do so when it wakes up, but I don't know when that will be.

IIRC the generally accepted rule is the musically superior product will always be the musically superior product, regardless of the conditions. There are exceptions to every rule but I highly doubt these cables are one of them.
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

are the Lejonklou European Power Cords offering the same improvement?
I have the TaHsing ones from about a year ago - are the European ones are now also Volex-Volex?
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Defender wrote: 2020-04-19 19:10 are the Lejonklou European Power Cords offering the same improvement?
I have the TaHsing ones from about a year ago - are the European ones are now also Volex-Volex?
My best European power cord is still the Volex Ta Hsing, which sounds better than the older Volex Ta Hsings did 5-10 years ago. Annoyingly, there are no year stamps on the Ta Hsing cable, so it's difficult to tell the old ones from new ones without listening to them. I have a practice of stamping my logo on the plug of all the power cords I've been really happy with. Probably yours have that logo as well - unless you got a really early one, before I realized how good that shipment was and decided to stamp them.

There is so far no European Volex power cord with a Volex marked cable on it.
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

yes I got mine from you last March 2019 so they are the new ones and they have your logo on. Thank you.
jim123

Post by jim123 »

Could I ask what the power cord recommendation would be for the UK, there doesn't seem to be a LeJonklou offering anymore? I currently have the standard issue Linn power cords. Thanks
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

jim123 wrote: 2021-05-04 23:22 Could I ask what the power cord recommendation would be for the UK, there doesn't seem to be a LeJonklou offering anymore? I currently have the standard issue Linn power cords. Thanks
Hi jim123!

I don't know what power cord Linn supplies in the UK these days, but a couple of years ago it was a 2 m long 0.75 mm2 Longwell cable with Longwell connector and plug. That is the best UK cord I have found so far and the one that I supply with my units.

Longwell cords have the year of making marked on them, which is practical because I find the ones from the last couple of years to sound better than the older ones. The best direction of the cable is with the text running from the plug to the connector (from the power strip to the unit it powers).
jim123

Post by jim123 »

Brilliant thank you. I will try and find some to buy.
Zee9

Post by Zee9 »

After reading this thread I decided to do some homework on my cables at home. Results in the next post but for the love of God I can’t find the topic “Playground” where all these comparison videos are posted. Please advise.
LR: LP12/Selekt/Tundra 2.5/kabers
BR: WiiM/Tundra 2.2/Kan II
Studio: Genki/Kairn/5105/Kabers+RelT7i
Zee9

Post by Zee9 »

NOW TO REALLY GET THE GURUS THINKING........

we have 3 music setups: they are color coded in the chart attached.
as you will notice the bedroom system seems best optimized with the stock lejonklou cable that came with our 2.2 tundra tarandus. so that's not a concern.

the main system includes a Audio Sensibility 6 plug Distro block, Selekt dsm, LP12 via Akurate Radikal/1 and a pair of Integrated Akubariks (this is the setup im trying to get setup perfectly and if i was to just go by using 3 matching cables for the 2 sources and the Distro box i should choose the I-sheng cables with the exact same writing orientation (luckily i have 3 of those)

to keep the Akubariks matching as the linn cables that came with the Akubariks have opposite orientation in regard of writing on the cable my idea is to use the two matching British cables from the art studio.

Am i thinking in the right direction??
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
anthony
Very active member
Very active member

Post by anthony »

Zee9 wrote: 2023-11-04 21:06 NOW TO REALLY GET THE GURUS THINKING........

we have 3 music setups: they are color coded in the chart attached.
as you will notice the bedroom system seems best optimized with the stock lejonklou cable that came with our 2.2 tundra tarandus. so that's not a concern.

the main system includes a Audio Sensibility 6 plug Distro block, Selekt dsm, LP12 via Akurate Radikal/1 and a pair of Integrated Akubariks (this is the setup im trying to get setup perfectly and if i was to just go by using 3 matching cables for the 2 sources and the Distro box i should choose the I-sheng cables with the exact same writing orientation (luckily i have 3 of those)

to keep the Akubariks matching as the linn cables that came with the Akubariks have opposite orientation in regard of writing on the cable my idea is to use the two matching British cables from the art studio.

Am i thinking in the right direction??
All I can say is longwell are the best sounding, writing heading to equipment, with the exception of 2022 where the reverse is true.
The best leads you have are akurate kontrol and tundra. The baoing was ok. Try the ak lead on selekt.
Zee9

Post by Zee9 »

Maybe it’s easier to eliminate some of the spare cables that are just not good enough to even try
Zee9

Post by Zee9 »

@fredrick

Any insights or suggestions which cables could be eliminated for the test and is my thinking correct about matched cables?
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Despite the impressive chart, Zee, I still lack vital information to be able to say anything about these power cords:
Connector model
Plug model
Length
Exact cable model
Production year

Some of that information could be difficult to obtain. But then you can do a magic trick: You listen to them all, compare and rank them.

Hook up a minimalist system with some other power cords. Pick a unit in that system which sounds good, is quick to start and doesn’t mind repeated power ups. Listen to half a minute of music with each power cord, using the same socket in the power strip every time.

It’s way easier than you think!
Arjen
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Arjen »

@zee Not to answer your question, but I think on this forum you are the first one after me having Audio Sensibility cable in your system. In my setup I’ve got more than one (powercords, phono, interlinks) and I’m happy with their performance.
Lenco 76/S TJN, Dr. Fuss, Supernait2, CD5X, Slipsik7.1, Millon Phantom, Soundeck, AudioSensibility
Zee9

Post by Zee9 »

Arjen wrote: 2023-11-07 15:33 @zee Not to answer your question, but I think on this forum you are the first one after me having Audio Sensibility cable in your system. In my setup I’ve got more than one (powercords, phono, interlinks) and I’m happy with their performance.
I had quite a few red impact SE's when i was aktiv with 10 channels of amplification with my aktiv 242's. i sold all the entry level cables when i sold the 242's. the big mistake i made is that i had 3 x 2m audio revive single core power cables that hold the bend you create for them. i should have held onto those for my source and akubariks.
i still use the 6 plug AS distribution block.
Arjen
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Arjen »

Zee9 wrote: 2023-11-07 22:08
Arjen wrote: 2023-11-07 15:33 @zee Not to answer your question, but I think on this forum you are the first one after me having Audio Sensibility cable in your system. In my setup I’ve got more than one (powercords, phono, interlinks) and I’m happy with their performance.
I had quite a few red impact SE's when i was aktiv with 10 channels of amplification with my aktiv 242's. i sold all the entry level cables when i sold the 242's. the big mistake i made is that i had 3 x 2m audio revive single core power cables that hold the bend you create for them. i should have held onto those for my source and akubariks.
i still use the 6 plug AS distribution block.
Steve adviced a decent custom mix of Impact and Statements depending on the devices in my setup, in a way not let me bleeding dry, but letting me try. It turned out fine to my ears.
Lenco 76/S TJN, Dr. Fuss, Supernait2, CD5X, Slipsik7.1, Millon Phantom, Soundeck, AudioSensibility
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

With only 1 ‘Lejonklou North American Power Cord’ in the mix it feels like this discussion needs its own thread, especially as it’s getting off its own topic of power cords and into other cables, and is getting very AS centric…

Back to Zee question, with such a mix, why not invest in a number of Lejonklou power cords for consistency? Keep the Linn/Longwell ones for your own comparison ~ take the ones of unknown origin or provenance out of the mix.
Arjen
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Arjen »

Anyways, Audio Sensibility is North American and powering my setup in which there is Lejonklou….
Last edited by Arjen on 2023-11-08 17:27, edited 2 times in total.
Arjen
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Arjen »

Arjen wrote: 2023-11-08 15:03
tokenbrit wrote: 2023-11-08 14:37 With only 1 ‘Lejonklou North American Power Cord’ in the mix it feels like this discussion needs its own thread, especially as it’s getting off its own topic of power cords and into other cables, and is getting very AS centric…

That (AS) is not meant to be, only that Zee is the first one talking about AS in his setup.
But how about Volex 17604 with EU plugs? And where to buy?
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

Arjen wrote: 2023-11-08 15:05 .. how about Volex 17604 with EU plugs? And where to buy?
You’re not going to find a Volex “17604” with EU plugs as that’s the code for a US power cord… Again, not Lejonklou or North American so a question better in another thread.
Zee9

Post by Zee9 »

tokenbrit wrote: 2023-11-08 14:37 With only 1 ‘Lejonklou North American Power Cord’ in the mix it feels like this discussion needs its own thread, especially as it’s getting off its own topic of power cords and into other cables, and is getting very AS centric…

Back to Zee question, with such a mix, why not invest in a number of Lejonklou power cords for consistency? Keep the Linn/Longwell ones for your own comparison ~ take the ones of unknown origin or provenance out of the mix.
i reached out to Thomas about NA lejonklou cables and he said that at the moment he only could offer the second best cables which were "Ta Hsing" but don't know which connectors they have on them. He said the favorites were Volex cables using Volex J wire. so my guess would Ta Hsing is better than i-sheng.

Meanwhile i have switched cables around so that they are now placed as per below:
LP12 / AK. RADIKAL/1 QUEEN PUO (linn) I-SHENG EQUIP LIVING ROOM
AKUBARIK (L) QUEEN PUO (linn) I-SHENG PLUG LIVING ROOM
AKUBARIK ® QUEEN PUO (linn) I-SHENG PLUG LIVING ROOM

i recently found another US cable in my storage bin that reads Volex Pencon on the plug. also says made in England with the writing going to the plug. the black print on the cable makes it almost impossible to identify the writing on the cable but it goes something like this 18/3 SVT 105* C e53042 LL 30675