Conversations about Lejonklou Products and this Forum

Moderator: Staff

Ozzzy189
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Questions of a newby to Lejonklou..

Post by Ozzzy189 »

Congratulations on your new gear.
Simplifying and ditching all that exakt guff certainly let you get connected back to the music.
As already said, factory terminated 120cm linn Silvers are a great buy. Ads3 kat into sagatun monos is a great front end. The dvc in the ads3 kat is far better than the mds but still isn't as enjoyable as Fredrik's finest.
Sometimes it's better to set a goal and just aim for that, rather than setting side goals and taking baby steps. A kikkin is a good idea but if you want the real deal just save longer and get saga monos.
All the best
Ozzzy
ADS3/SagMono/Tundra 2.2- . Totem Tribe Tower.
Lejonklou demos available in the N of England.
Mitmu

Post by Mitmu »

Ozzzy189 wrote: 2019-12-11 22:36 Congratulations on your new gear.
Simplifying and ditching all that exakt guff certainly let you get connected back to the music.
As already said, factory terminated 120cm linn Silvers are a great buy. Ads3 kat into sagatun monos is a great front end. The dvc in the ads3 kat is far better than the mds but still isn't as enjoyable as Fredrik's finest.
Sometimes it's better to set a goal and just aim for that, rather than setting side goals and taking baby steps. A kikkin is a good idea but if you want the real deal just save longer and get saga monos.
All the best
Ozzzy
Thanks!

Yeah, my system is extremely enjoyable for now! Including the addition of a factory terminated set of Linn Silvers :)

Especially with the addition of a separate dedicated electricity group for the audio system the sound is as good as it is going to get, wonderful!

My goal is for sure to have mono saga's in the future, but for now I will not even listen to them, only when they are a viable option which I can pursue actively I will start to listen to them, so for now just let the music speak for itself :)
Harbeth Compact 7ES-3 40th-SuperKikkin-Kalla-Tundra 2.5
Ozzzy189
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Ozzzy189 »

I also have have a dedicated hifi socket, it's the only one on the mains. It goes straight to the consumer unit. Very worthwhile imo.
ADS3/SagMono/Tundra 2.2- . Totem Tribe Tower.
Lejonklou demos available in the N of England.
V.A.MKD
Very active member
Very active member

Post by V.A.MKD »

Yes Ozzzy189,
Especially to avoid "neon" lights (it's possible, if the system is in living room or you have some lights for the system) connected in the same socket ... they have some hum ...
Music First ...
Vlado
Mitmu

Post by Mitmu »

I have used my Tundra every day since I got it and still love it!

Used the Trim feature today, and was a bit shocked by the reading on the meter, idle setting for my Tundra is 16, but when I plugged in the reading on the meter showed 12.9... is this alarming or just adjust and enjoy the ride? I adjusted now again to 16, will go back to it in a week to trim again as the instruction tells me.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Mitmu wrote: 2019-12-22 21:59 I have used my Tundra every day since I got it and still love it!

Used the Trim feature today, and was a bit shocked by the reading on the meter, idle setting for my Tundra is 16, but when I plugged in the reading on the meter showed 12.9... is this alarming or just adjust and enjoy the ride? I adjusted now again to 16, will go back to it in a week to trim again as the instruction tells me.
Hello Mitmu!

Wonderful to read that you're so pleased!

Yes, perfectly normal. That's what the Trim feature is for!

Did you notice a difference after the adjustment?
Mitmu

Post by Mitmu »

lejonklou wrote: 2019-12-22 22:10
Mitmu wrote: 2019-12-22 21:59 I have used my Tundra every day since I got it and still love it!

Hello Mitmu!

Wonderful to read that you're so pleased!

Yes, perfectly normal. That's what the Trim feature is for!

Did you notice a difference after the adjustment?
Hi Fredrik,

I tend to say that the clarity in the music has increased and I think the bass is a bit tighter now, all in all it does not sound worse than before...;)

What is the 'normal' temperature for the Tundra? I have mine placed in a kabinet with a door in front, on the back there is a ventilation gap so not a closed kabinet...
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

OK, good! That sounds familiar, as when the idling current is lower the speed and clarity decreases and it the music sounds slightly heavier and slower. It's almost like a subtle sharpness control.

Tundra gets luke warm. That is warm to the touch, never hot.
Mitmu

Post by Mitmu »

What is your opinion, currently I have a MDSM which is used as a streamer and pre, but if the pre-section is in the digital domain, I should be able to update the streamer quite easily?

Thinking of replacing the MDSM for a ADS or KRDS for instance and, for the time being, use the output of the DS with the digital volume controle directly connected to the Tundra? Or is my reasoning completely off now?
David Neel
Very active member
Very active member

Post by David Neel »

Your reasoning is good. Source first. You've already replaced the poweramp section of the MDSM, and either ADS or KRDS will function the same as a streamer/preamp. (Assuming you have no other sources, the only preamp function you need is the volume control.) Linn's DVC has gone through several generations. The latest one with Katalyst is a huge improvement on previous ones. However, even that will not match Sagatun Monos, as has been mentioned earlier.
The search for knowledge is not nourished by certainty, but by a radical distrust in certainty
Mitmu

Post by Mitmu »

All the best to all in 2021, that we may forget 2020 quickly!

I love my Tundra, keeps amazing all the time... :)

Today I made an interesting discovery, I used to use a Blacknoise Six power block in my set from which I thought it is 'very good'. Replaced it with a very cheap and simple 3 outlets block and I am amazed by the increase in musicality and overall dynamics, maybe less 'clean' but in terms of music this is quite shocking..... is the Blacknoise acting as some sort of block in my set?

Thinking on this, might a Naim Music Line be a good replacer of the Blacknoise? These are quite cheap so would be ideal...
hcl
Very active member
Very active member

Post by hcl »

David Neel wrote: 2020-01-19 12:24 Your reasoning is good. Source first. You've already replaced the poweramp section of the MDSM, and either ADS or KRDS will function the same as a streamer/preamp. (Assuming you have no other sources, the only preamp function you need is the volume control.) Linn's DVC has gone through several generations. The latest one with Katalyst is a huge improvement on previous ones. However, even that will not match Sagatun Monos, as has been mentioned earlier.
I agree. A well implemented DVC will be the least non transparent part of most systems. The first version of the DVC in Linn’s first generation streamers had some issues that they solved long ago. The differences that may be heard nowadays would most probably be associated to other design and circuit differences than the DVC in the preamp section of the DSM.
Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tendaberry »

Mitmu wrote: 2021-01-01 17:21 Thinking on this, might a Naim Music Line be a good replacer of the Blacknoise? These are quite cheap so would be ideal...
I can definitely recommend the Naim Music Line power block! Where are you located? I don't think it's available in US/UK spec.
Mitmu

Post by Mitmu »

Tendaberry wrote: 2021-01-05 12:12
Mitmu wrote: 2021-01-01 17:21 Thinking on this, might a Naim Music Line be a good replacer of the Blacknoise? These are quite cheap so would be ideal...
I can definitely recommend the Naim Music Line power block! Where are you located? I don't think it's available in US/UK spec.
nice, located in the Netherlands, so they are available in that configuration :)

Will try to get one to see how it performs...
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Naim Music Line power block

Post by Defender »

@Tendaberry: which Naim Music Line power block do you recommend the one with 2m or the one with 3m?
Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tendaberry »

I have the ones with a 2 m cable. But I haven't compared 2 m vs. 3 m...
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Naim Music Line power block

Post by lejonklou »

Defender wrote: 2021-01-19 11:06
@Tendaberry: which Naim Music Line power block do you recommend the one with 2m or the one with 3m?
In my experience, there's nothing to gain from extra length of the cable that runs from the wall outlet to the power strip.

I could be wrong but on the models I've tried, it's always been the shorter, the better.

Power cords differ from this, as they seem to have an optimal length that varies with the cable construction. And that optimal length is usually between 2 and 3 metres (while 2.5 meters seems most common, I have also found power cords that sounded best at around 2.0 and others close to 3.0 m in length).
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

thank you for clarification - I wondered if for the power strip the same is true like for power cables but than saw you mentioned the Clas Ohlsen strip has only 1,4m
unfortunately Clas Ohlsen has closed in Germany so I might get the Naim Music Line ... I can later compare them to the Clas Ohlsen version I have with the right cable (H05VV-F 3G1.5mm2 <VDE> NINGBO QIANGHONG) which is going in the right direction.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

That sounds perfect Defender!

I'm looking forward to your report on the difference between those two.
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

will take a while to get it and make sure the power strip has time to run in and than its the perfect thing to do in the Playground so everyone can decide by himself
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

lejonklou wrote: 2021-01-19 16:36 That sounds perfect Defender!

I'm looking forward to your report on the difference between those two.
the clips are now up in the playground
Zee9

Post by Zee9 »

I’m re-kindling this post as I’m in a similar position. My favorite linn speakers so far have been the kabers, so much so that even after we upgraded our main system to Exakt akubariks we still have our kabers in my wife’s art studio.

We recently aquired a used tundra 2.2 Tarandus and I was shocked at what this amp brought out in the various speakers we tried it with. Kan II’s and Kabers. I have never heard the kabers or the Kans sound better. A kairn/Klout combo is the only other combo that I liked with passive kabers and I have tried multiple combinations (Aktiv/Exakt etc) with a variety of linn amps except twins or solos.

My dilemma now was finding the most suitable preamp (I know a simple answer is to get a sagatun.

Anyhow presently the tundra is in the bedroom with a mdsm/3 (silver interconnects) split k400 cable with Kan II’s on original Stands.

When I do find the perfect preamp it will be moved to the wife’s art studio to drive the kabers unless we decide to bring the kabers to the bedroom.

Thanks for such a fantastic product Fredrick.
LR: LP12/Selekt/Tundra 2.5/kabers+RelT7i
BR: WiiM/Tundra 2.2/Kan II
Studio: Genki/Kairn/5105/Kabers
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Thank you Zee9!