Entity MC

Conversations about Lejonklou Products and this Forum

Moderator: Staff

nostinkingloops

Re: Entity MC

Post by nostinkingloops »

regarding the 1.2 upgrade, my dealer hasn't heard yet about when or whether this will be available in the u.s. i assume that the upgrade will involve sending the unit in to an authorized lenjonkleu repair station, via my dealer. i'll be sorry to see it go! i regard it as an end-game phono-stage for my dynavector dv500/507/karat gold cart.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

The upgrade is available in the US and I have already installed several. I just sent out a new dealer newsletter a little over a week ago detailing the changes and announcing the upgrade, as well as giving the dealers some updates on the Tundra Mono 3 and SuperKikkin units coming soon.

The Entity can be sent directly to Nokturne Audio and runs $80 parts and labor plus return shipping. Those interested should just send an email to info@nokturneaudio.com Generally I can turn the units around fairly quickly but word is spreading and it looks like I may have two on the way in. Still I expect to be able to turn them around within a week in most cases, not including shipping time.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
David Neel
Very active member
Very active member

Post by David Neel »

Just got my Entity back after four weeks away being upgraded from 1.1 to 1.2. Obviously I can't hold memory well enough to do a strict A/B. So I just plugged it in, cold, together with an LP12 which had been powered down since Entity left. Not intending to come to any conclusions.

WTF?!

If this is "minor" upgrade, I look forward to a "major" one!
The search for knowledge is not nourished by certainty, but by a radical distrust in certainty
David Neel
Very active member
Very active member

Post by David Neel »

This upgrade is blowing my mind. I expected a modest improvement, consistent with the minor changes implemented. Instead I have got a substantial improvement, along the lines of the differences I have heard between my Rad1 and the demo I heard of Rad2. It's just more real. And has removed my mild dissatisfaction with my LP12.
The search for knowledge is not nourished by certainty, but by a radical distrust in certainty
mrco99
Very active member
Very active member

Post by mrco99 »

Great to hear David, glad you're enjoying it.

Full credit to Fredrik for his ongoing search to bring us the most involving playback experience through his range of electronics.
Distributor of Lejonklou | Aqua | Graham Audio | Klangedang | NOKTable | Ophidian | The Wand
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Thank you David!

Very pleased to hear that you like it. I am a bit blown away too by how right version 1.2 feels.

The final result is partly thanks to Efraim Roots, who pushed me into a deeper examination of this detail.
nostinkingloops

Post by nostinkingloops »

i received my 1.2 upgrade a week or two ago (thank you thomas!) but have been far too busy to audition. one of the things i've noticed since restarting music on vinyl is that i'm extremely reluctant to engage in casual listening. digital is a different story - that i can have playing as background to work. but there is something about vinyl which demands 100% attention, and that is doubly true (200%? that makes no sense) with this phono-stage.
Efraim roots
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Efraim roots »

lejonklou wrote: 2022-12-13 01:00 Thank you David!

Very pleased to hear that you like it. I am a bit blown away too by how right version 1.2 feels.

The final result is partly thanks to Efraim Roots, who pushed me into a deeper examination of this detail.
Thanks Fredrik! The Entity 1.2 has a great product story, two diamonds in a shoebox, the circuits are really something! And it's surprising how these small things related to .2 can have such big effects on how these diamonds shine. I was writing about pearls earlier, but of course it should be, diamonds, not pearls.

At the same time I am under the impression that my hifi performance is very consistent nowadays. I struggle to hear any disturbance by plugged in chargers and stuff which I always checked for with Naim 52/110 ten years ago (in different flat also) for example.
the players of instruments shall be there..
Bi Focal

Post by Bi Focal »

I’m interested to hear from any more recent Entity buyers, what they upgraded from and how the Entity sounds in comparison. The review on Stereophile was excellent
Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Hermann »

I don't want to go into too much detail. The upgrade from Entity V1.0 to V1.1, which I carried out with many tests, replaced a Naim Superline phono stage (including Cryo capacitors and resistors for the Kandid) of the highest configuration. The comments on my music examples are documented in the thread "Me and my System". The first pages show my impressions and of the participants.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5432

With Fredrik's update to version 1.2, the difference between the two phono stages is likely to be significantly greater, as it was audibly large when the decision was made.
Trust your ears
quinn_t

Post by quinn_t »

Bi Focal wrote: 2023-08-04 21:07 I’m interested to hear from any more recent Entity buyers, what they upgraded from and how the Entity sounds in comparison. The review on Stereophile was excellent
I upgraded from the Naim Stageline K+HICAP (which has been recapped recently) to the Entity 1.2. The SQ difference is staggering in every aspects, I was not aware that my LP12 sounded that good, so no going back for me.
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

Matt

MBP / Exposure pre + power (both modified) / JBL3677
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Very nice review. He might have his mind blown if he ever heard the SINGularity units.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
chefren

Post by chefren »

Hello Everyone,

Since this is my first post, a quick presentation :)
My name is Robert and I joined this forum after lurking here occasionally, mostly because I have become the owner of an Entity 1.2, and a Linn Silver RCA cable to connect it to my preamp earlier this year.

It is currently amplifying the signal from a Dynavector 20x2L and sounding great. The Dynavector requires about a side's worth of playing to wake up at the start of every session, but once it has, the pair is quite adept at making the music from my records come alive. However the Dynavector is also seven years old and is beginning to show signs of old age, I hear some (still minor) IGD that definitely was not there before and also it only manages the first tracking test track from the Ortofon test LP I have - again it did better before. So it is time to start planning for a replacement.

Related to this I have a technical question: a lot of cartridges today have their output voltage specced at 5cm/s, while the Entity is specced at max. 0.4 mV at 3,54cm/s. As far as I understand, a cartridge specced at 0.5 mV at 5cm/s should work well with the Entity, but is this true or have I misunderstood something?

I have read some comments on other forums that this may in fact not be a simple division exercise, but I have not seen any clear information in how the conversion should be made in case it is more complicated.
Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tendaberry »

Hello and welcome!
The 0,4 mV at 3,54 cm/s means 0,5656 mV at 5 cm/s. So with the Dynavector's output of 0,3 mV at 5 cm/s you're ok.
What are your thoughts regarding an upgrade? Or maybe open a new thread for that.
Cheers, Björn
chefren

Post by chefren »

Tendaberry wrote: 2023-10-26 11:11 Hello and welcome!
The 0,4 mV at 3,54 cm/s means 0,5656 mV at 5 cm/s. So with the Dynavector's output of 0,3 mV at 5 cm/s you're ok.
What are your thoughts regarding an upgrade? Or maybe open a new thread for that.
Cheers, Björn
Thank you very much - so I was correct then in assuming a nominal output of 0.5mv at 5 cm/s is fine as long as the spec given by the cartridge manufacturer is actually accurate.

It's a bit early to say for sure, I had a Benz ACE SL before the Dynavector and it certainly had its charms as well, but the suspension there collapsed after 6 years, plus they went up in price a lot since then, and I want to try something new anyway. I'm curious about many options, maybe an AT 33, a Reson Etile or a Rega Ania Pro... the problem as usual is that demoing opportunities are few and far between.

Youtube videos can only go so far, and are only really useful if they compare cartriges. Otherwise there are too many unknowns to say. Of course if the setup sounds great in a clip (as far as clips go), then surely the cartridge is at least decent.

But as you say, that would be a discussion for another thread :)
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Welcome to the forum chefren!

Entity is very high gain and the limit of 0.4 mV at 3.54 cm/s, or 0.56 mV at 5 cm/s, is best followed not to saturate the input with a record that’s been mastered extremely loud.

It’s useful to know that Linn Ekstatik, which outputs 0.45 mV at 3.54 cm/s, or 0.64 mV at 5 cm/s, does not saturate the input of Entity. But more than that I would not recommend.
chefren

Post by chefren »

Thank you Fredrik, the main reason for my question was to ensure that a cart specced at 0.5mV @ 5 cm/s, which is a fairly common spec, is safe to buy to use with the Entity. Looks like I got my answer :)
sktn77a

Post by sktn77a »

Translating........... yes, you'll be fine with the Ekstatik and the Entity.
;)
Keith
LP12, Ekos, VM760, Slipsik 7.1, NDX2, 252, 250, Aerial 5B, LS3/5a, Harbeth M30, Gallo TR3D
chefren

Post by chefren »

Well after some digging after information to the best I could, including ordering a back-issue of Stereoplay that had a review, I ended up with a Reson Etile. I am happy to report that the output level does indeed not cause any issues with the Entity. It does put out a bit more signal than the Dynavector, but not much. Again 120 ohms seems to be the best loading setting, just like with the 20x2L.

I barely started the burn-in process, but it seems a lot less temperamental with that and with warm-up than the 20x2L was. It's a touch lighter in the bass and a touch brighter at the very top and a little more sensitive to sibilants but this will probably change as it burns in. However the timing ability of the Etile seems very promising, unless it gets worse as it burns in, it is going to be better than the 20x2L in communicating the interplay between musicians. I need to try it out with some more varied material. It's also rather enthusiastic in its presentation, it does the PRAT thing very well. I will withhold judgement of tunefulness until it has burned in properly.

Overall it seems a good match for the Entity.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Thank you for the report, chefren!

Never heard of this series of cartridges before. Goldring names spelled backwards, ha!

Hope it improves even further as you break it in!
chefren

Post by chefren »

These were originally DNM cartridges, but after some turns I don't know about, they range ended up with Swiss Reson, as far as I know it's not changed since DNM times. It's basically a Golding Elite (the current version, not the original) with tweaked suspension.

One very obvious point of critique is the lack of any kind of spec sheet or instructions, things like the recommended VTF (it's 1,7 gr) and the VTF range (1,5 - 2.0 gr) have to be looked up online. It does at lot better at 1,9 gr at least before break-in. Considering the price this is pretty bad, especially since they did sneak a product registration card into the box, but not a small spec sheet.
ljknewbie

Post by ljknewbie »

Hi,

Having installed my newly acquired Källa and Entity (2 gold dots) (Rega P6 with Ania pro) cart last weekend, I didn't listen to my LPs for about a week. I was listening to all my music on the Källa by default. The Entity was powered up all this time.

I finally had some time last evening to hear my LPs and damn I realised what I was missing out on.
Played the some Dire Straits, John Lee Hooker, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd for a few hours. Simply superb.

Was definitely expecting some improvement moving from the Rega Mk4, but the difference was unexpectedly and pleasantly way above my expectations. I chose the "not so great pressing" LPs to listen to and they became "pretty good pressings" instantly with the Entity. :)

The load setting used for this session was 180. couldn't be bothered to change to once I started listening. I will be trying the 120 and then 90 over the next few days.

This weekend going to listen my top pressings and can't wait.

A word about the Källa as a source comparing it to my vinyl listening with Entity, the music coming out of the Källa, to my ears, sounds almost like my vinyl. I would not say 100% but very close.

Can't wait to try these out with the Tundra which hopefully arrives in the next few weeks.

Thank you Mr.Lejonklou for these fabulous products.
1: ARC VSi75/Rega P6 (Ania Pro MC)/Entity/mdsm3/Kan II

2: Tundra/SK/Källa/T+A S 2100 CTL
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

It's been awhile since visiting this thread. But earlier this month my Entity was finally updated from the 1.1 version to the 1.2 version. In addition, my Sagatun Stereo preamp was updated from the 1.4 version to the 1.7 version as well. Both of these upgrades were very significant, and together they have legitimately improved the sound of my system. However it's difficult to know exactly how much improvement is from the Entity, and how much is from the Sagatun.

Needless to say, I'm really glad Fredrik continues to make positive improvements to his products. My turntable has never sounded as good as it does currently, as well as the amplifier and speakers. It's almost like the amplifier has more power and strength now.

Job well done for sure...
Tony Tune-age
Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Hermann »

Hello Tony, I'm happy, that you like it. I made exactly the upgrades and it is still hard to believe how simple improvements can be achieved.
Trust your ears