Entity MC

Conversations about Lejonklou Products and this Forum

Moderator: Staff

V.A.MKD
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Entity MC

Post by V.A.MKD »

Defender wrote: 2020-04-28 16:08 the Entity is up and running - you can imagine my face when all was connected and no sound came out of my loudspeakers ... well even the Entity needs the power amp to be switched on to make some fine music coming out of the loudspeakers.

Yes its much louder than the Linto.

have a big smile in my face now ;)

... its soo tiny! 😀 kind of reminds me of David and Goliath
Lucky you, Enjoy ... :-)
Music First ...
Vlado
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Congratulations. I just sold another Entity to one of my customers who had me remove his Urika to accommodate it. He is quite happy with the musical quality right out of the box. He also had me put Karousel upgrades into his two LP12s and is quite thrilled, as he was listening to my system on several tracks. After hearing an A/B of the Entity vs. the SINGularity units, and listening to several tracks on the whole dual-mono system (including White Room from Cream Albert Hall louder than he normally listens) he said: "You know you are quite spoiled!" I told him I was indeed aware of that. He answered: "OK, as long as you know." :-)
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

you are spoiled Thomas but you really really deserve it

I have to agree Entity plays impressive right out of the box. I am not used to that with new electronic. I am usually very sensitive to run in.
I was asking myself if its maybe do to a demo unit but mine was sealed with uncut Lejonklou tape so its most likely new.
What impresses me is the „stability“ in the musical presentation ... not sure how to describe it - its like big torque rather than horsepower through high revs. Linto is already left behind so I have no benchmarks left to compare it anymore.

and wasnt the Linto know for being really quiet - Entity is noticeably more quiet.
mrco99
Very active member
Very active member

Post by mrco99 »

Defender wrote: 2020-04-28 19:00 I have to agree Entity plays impressive right out of the box. I am not used to that with new electronic. I am usually very sensitive to run in.
I was asking myself if its maybe do to a demo unit but mine was sealed with uncut Lejonklou tape so its most likely new.
What impresses me is the „stability“ in the musical presentation ... not sure how to describe it - its like big torque rather than horsepower through high revs. Linto is already left behind so I have no benchmarks left to compare it anymore.

and wasnt the Linto know for being really quiet - Entity is noticeably more quiet.
Definately a new unit as I delivered it in person to Concerto just before Alex shipped it off to you - congrats and enjoy it!

Marco
;-)
Distributor of Lejonklou | Aqua | Graham Audio | Klangedang | NOKTable | Ophidian | The Wand
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

I have found that Lejonklou units sound quite good right out of the box. They do burn in over 150 to 250 hours and there are times during that period where they might sound like something is off. With mySINGularity units I noticed after a couple of days that the bass was softer and less defined than I had remembered it. At first I thought I had accidentally moved one of my speakers but I checked everything and all was as it should have been. Two days later the bass was excellent and the soft bass has never recurred. So just keep on playing records as once Lejonklou units settle down the musical result is even better than when first connected.
The LP12 Whisperer
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Defender wrote: 2020-04-28 19:00 you are spoiled Thomas but you really really deserve it

I have to agree Entity plays impressive right out of the box. I am not used to that with new electronic. I am usually very sensitive to run in.

Wonderful to hear that you're happy with it, Defender.

Thanks for sharing your impressions!
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

hey Marco,
thank you for letting me know and thank you for bringing the Entity over to Alex - was not really worried if it was a Demo unit because it was discussed as a demo ... however it became a sale now ;)
Alex is a good guy - just too far away for anything which would require work on the LP12.

Fredrik - its just first impressions and I am impressed - I will write more as the unit get more hours.
I got a Krystal from Alex too so I can use my ArkivB to run in the Entity.

Thomas thank you for giving a perspective which hours I should expect for final settle down.

Btw: It makes me laugh when I look what Fredrik gets out of this small unit when others need sometimes even one power supply box and one phonostage box where every of those boxes can hold 4 Entity‘s
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

welcome to Speakers Corner as Dealer for Lejonklou Products in Germany
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Defender wrote: 2020-04-29 09:18 It makes me laugh when I look what Fredrik gets out of this small unit when others need sometimes even one power supply box and one phonostage box where every of those boxes can hold 4 Entity‘s
I've wondered that myself Defender, and to call the Entity a great sounding product would still be an understatement! It performs well above the price range, with top notch engineering, design and manufacturing!

Cheers
Tony Tune-age
mrco99
Very active member
Very active member

Post by mrco99 »

Defender wrote: 2020-04-30 15:46 welcome to Speakers Corner as Dealer for Lejonklou Products in Germany
Yes, we're very happy having been able to add Speakers Corner in Kiel to our dealer list.

They currently have Entity, Slipsik, Gaio, Boazu and stereo series Sagatun & Tundra on demo.

Well worth making an appointment or, when possible again, a visit.

http://speakerscorner-hifi.de/
Distributor of Lejonklou | Aqua | Graham Audio | Klangedang | NOKTable | Ophidian | The Wand
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Entity MC Upgrade

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Although things didn't go exactly as planned today, I did manage to get an upgrade done to my Entity! It was a fairly simple improvement and didn't take much time to complete. Thomas put an insulator between two metal parts, which reduces the back ground noise. Only a few of the Entity's needed this insulator, and all later units are properly equipped.

Tony Tune-age
V.A.MKD
Very active member
Very active member

Post by V.A.MKD »

Great, great, great ... just great!
Enjoy Tony ...
Music First ...
Vlado
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

that is probably mu metal foil (magnetic field shield foil) to shield the magnetic field of the transformer even more from entering the delicate circuits (I say even more as the transformer seems to be already in a magnetic shield can)
thats good stuff ;)
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

OK, time for a little clarification:

Entity has always had two layers of mu-metal around its encapsulated transformer. This reduces the level of the background hum that you hear when you turn the volume up real high.

No news there, every Entity has those two layers of mu-metal.

An unexpected discovery was that a very small improvement in sound quality could be obtained if these two layers were electrically separated by an insulating layer. The difference is really small (I made at least 20 comparisons before I was sure of its character and that I could detect it) and any sane person would probably have ignored it, but as I have some obsessive tendencies, I just couldn't let it go.

I currently paint one side of the mu-metal sheets with a plastic isolating paint. The earliest Entities that were shipped without this isolation are one by one being upgraded, free of charge.
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

hi Fredrik - we „love“ you for having what you call obsessive tendencies. That makes it easy to buy your products even if some dont have a chance to get a demo before buying. I am now at around 55 hours play time with the Entity and will write what I think later today when I have more time.
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

o.k. I would like to give you my first opinion about the Entity

here is the conclusion for all who dont want to read all the following lines:
its wonderfull, special, musical - if the LP12 and the rest of your electronic is the orchestra the Entity is the conductor - you should hear it!

well that wasn’t really a source first upgrade - I saw the discussion with u252agz but was holding my opinion back as I did know that I would do the Entity upgrade first. Of course not because I dont trust in source first. I did it because it is the closest to the source product you can get from Fredrik and because I completely trust that he releases a product only if its the best he can make it. This is my second product I bought from Lejonklou without hearing it before ... I promised myself long time ago to never do that again ... and here we are.
O.k. I was lucky in the last half year (as I am most of the time now) and got a nice young but used Akurate Radikal and later a good used Keel which are waiting for installation so the source first upgrades are on the horizon. If they give soo much more musicality as the Entity already does after now 57hours I might be in (happy) tears.
I am going to do them together with the Karousel upgrade as if the LP is in the clinic anyway than better all things are done at the same time ... actually I still think about doing the Karousel upgrade all by myself but I am missing a jig and without its probably too difficult.

Back to the Entity - it arrived more or less one week ago - I did some recordings the night before with the Linto to give you a chance to hear the difference. But the files will be provided after the 100hour mark to be sure the Entity is really at is full potential. When I did those recordings I got the feeling that I would be able to live with the Linto and be happy - now I know that is wrong and I know that I would miss out much.

Entity went in and as my former posts already indicated it played already really good. There have been some changes during run in but more like „Entity had a good day today wherever it had a perfect day yesterday“ (indicating its up and down and up not just straight getting better every day).

What was clear from the beginning was that the Entity has authority and peace, focus and transparency. I know thats hifi terms but I also hear those things. Timing and interplay between the instruments as well as musicality have been the things changing over time.

There are some things you need to consider when you have the Entity (which I didnt thought of) including an offer to call the police ;) but one after another:
First thing I realized was sometimes the music sounded out of tune and almost like surround ... until I noticed that my girlfriend was singing along with each song - mmh ... just so you know what can happen.

The other encounter was that I enjoyed the Entity so much that I forget how late in the night it was and than an angry woman showed up in my living room to let me know she will call the police by herself if I am not turning the volume down.

Other than that I am happy there are no pictures taken or internet cameras distributing myself enjoying the Entity. All I can say I have some new instruments now: an air guitar and a keyboard leg plus dancing the funky chicken ... and some new personalities like a drummer, a lead singer, a bass player and the man behind the keyboard.

Musicality: impressive (think of air guitar and keyboard leg).
I know we have a discussion here if the music at the time we have been grown up only sounded good with the equipment we had at that time - buy the Entity - you are going to enjoy that music again and you will explore even more in the same songs.
I have songs which I heard probably 100 times and I thought I know them in and out and with the Entity they just make sense some melodies I heard but not really payed attention to and now create a picture.

Do you ever had the feeling when a loudspeaker is „playing“ with an amp rather than the amp controlling it?
Did you heard an amp which has a tight control over the loudspeaker? I thought this is only a function between the amp and the loudspeaker - with the Entity I have the feeling the Entity is the conductor of the rest of the electronic.
Did you ever thought why does an orchestra need a conductor - they all have their notes they only need a common starting point.
Entity works as a strong character in the background - engages where engagement is necessary, gives focus where focus is necessary and tighten things up where necessary... but dont get me wrong ... Entity doesnt add anything or takes away something - it does it in keeping the music signal as it is and retrieving the core of it.
I am surprised how much the Linto „did“. I am now happy with my loudspeakers and even with the thought to be worn out ArkivB before I suspected them to hold my enjoyment back.

All I can say: thank you Fredrik you already made a lot of my days ... and more to come.
All who think of buying the Entity ... you are just losing time if you dont.

Entity makes you addicted and you know how it is with addictions - you want more.

P.S. thank you Marco and let Alex know how happy I am.
Last edited by Defender on 2020-05-05 20:51, edited 1 time in total.
V.A.MKD
Very active member
Very active member

Post by V.A.MKD »

Defender wrote: 2020-05-05 19:25
... - you want more.
The best description ... LP after LP after LP ... more music ...

Thank you all ...
Music First ...
Vlado
Freddy

Post by Freddy »

Defender wrote: 2020-05-05 19:25 The other encounter was that I enjoyed the Entity so much that I forget how late in the night it was and than an angry woman showed up in my living room to let me know she will call the police by herself if I am not turning the volume down.
Ups that can happen! :)
Defender wrote: 2020-05-05 19:25 Entity went in and as my former posts already indicated it played already really good. There have been some changes during run in but more like „Entity had a good day today wherever it had a perfect day yesterday“ (indicating its up and down and up not just straight getting better every day).
I can only say that I don´t have these relatively small changes anymore (what I want to say it sounds very good right out of the box and these changes were not very big to me). It just sounds very good all the time. I had an AT33 PTGII installed at the same time and it also has burnt in very nice now. I think it is a very good budget cart for the money that go very well with Entity. I know it is not the strikt source first hierarchy but you can´t have it all at once. Now a Karusell may be first in line I guess.
V.A.MKD
Very active member
Very active member

Post by V.A.MKD »

Do you check sound variation / balance and impedance matching ... Cartridge and input of Entity?
Music First ...
Vlado
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

not sure if the question was intended for me but since I use an ArkivB I am using the 120Ohm setting and never tried something else as Fredrik stated thats the optimal setting for the Arkiv.
V.A.MKD
Very active member
Very active member

Post by V.A.MKD »

Defender wrote: 2020-05-06 11:54 not sure if the question was intended for me but since I use an ArkivB I am using the 120Ohm setting and never tried something else as Fredrik stated thats the optimal setting for the Arkiv.
Great ... For Arkiv it's OK ... Fredrik say 120 Ohm is optimal and that is perfect ...
What about other cartridges that other Entity owners have ...
Music First ...
Vlado
Freddy

Post by Freddy »

I use 120 position for AT33 where I think it sounds best.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Fredrik clarified the matter of the "upgrade" for the Entity quite well. Yes, he is a bit compulsive, and yes, we are all happy he is. (I'm not of course, I'm perfectly normal!) ;-)

Just a couple more thoughts. Very few Entity units got out before Fredrik made the isolation discovery. I only received a single shipment of three North American units before this change was made to them so all additional shipments have already featured this. As Fredrik mentioned those three units are receiving a free upgrade. Two have been done and I will do the third when I am once again able to visit the dealer who has it on demo. The first I did was my Nokturne Audio demo unit and I did hear a small improvement. It has been a while now but if I recall there was a touch more composure and a little more musical bass. The difference was small, but audible and more musical. But then every upgrade Fredrik has made has resulted in more musical enjoyment, something unique in my experience.
The LP12 Whisperer
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Congrats Defender!

Thanks for the report and glad you are lovin' your Entity!

You're system already sounded really good to me but looking forward to some new clips!
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

thank you Charlie
I still shake my head in not understanding how Fredrik put so much musicality in such a tiny device. It is against all what I thought to know about interference of magnetic fields with the most precious and sensitive signals.

So would I buy it again? Sure to 200%
Would I recommend it? Sure to 200%

There was a discussion here about the Lejonklou entry level MC phono stage ... discussing options how that would look like. We seem to got option 3. This entry level is already top of the top and I dont know or have heard any better phono stage.

My LP12 is not top spec. although I have a Greenstreet Keel Clone which seems to work well (I bought the LP12 like this but I want to go back to all Linn components) I have Lingo 2 and a retipped Arkiv. So I am really looking forward to all those closer to the source upgrades (Karousel, Radikal, Krystal). If those are really as big as the Entity I am pretty sure I have the police ringing on the door one time ... and I am a little afraid that I cant enjoy music as much anymore because all the family members singing along with each song ;)

In these times the smaller companies/businesses need to be supported even more.