Will a Gaio2 help with a recessed treble issue on my LP12?

Conversations about Lejonklou Products and this Forum

Moderator: Staff

swajames

Will a Gaio2 help with a recessed treble issue on my LP12?

Post by swajames »

First post, so thanks to the administrators for approving my account.

I have an LP12 which was originally Majik spec (so 9cc arm and Linn Adikt MM cartridge) but now has a Lingo3 power supply.

My current phono stage is the Rega Fono MM MK3.

I have ProAc D30RS speakers, and with digital sources I am really happy with the sound. It is balanced and clear, with tight bass, a beautiful midrange and excellent treble.

With the LP12, I find the top end to be recessed, and there to be something of a "veil" over the music. I also find the level to be a little low.

I suspect my phono stage is the problem. On the Linn LP12 owners group on Facebook, a few owners recommended the Gaio/Gaio2 as a upgrade from my Rega as it's a very good match for my cartridge. I can't easily demo a Gaio2 but wanted to ask if it was likely that I'd see the improvement in top end I'm looking for with this unit?

Any input gratefully received!
grey17

Re: Will a Gaio2 help with a recessed treble issue on my LP12?

Post by grey17 »

Hi swajames,

My deck also started at Majik specification, eventually upgraded to current Akurate level (Lingo 3 first and then Lingo 4) but still using an Adikt. My speakers are ProAc D15's so I am familiar with the synergy between Linn and ProAc (you didn’t state your amplification or digital source).

The Fono is a very good entry level phono preamp but the Gaio (or Slipsik) will put you into a completely different category. There has been a trend with some manufactures towards a fast, neutral or etched/forward sound which I personally find a bit unnatural unless you attend live shows towards the front of the stage. The Gaio won’t give you that etched type sound rather you will get an improvement across the board - better treble extension without being bright coupled with greater bass control and soundstage, in a natural organic presentation. This was across all types of music - classical, rock, metal, electronic, acoustic. Though more costly, the Slipsik 7 was just recently released and would be my recommendation if you can swing it but the Gaio will still give you a major improvement over the Fono.

See if you can find a dealer that will sell you a unit with a 15 to 30 day return policy (usually excluding the cost of shipping). I think once you have a listen you will not regret your decision.
LP12/Karousel . Kore . Lingo 4 . Akito . Adikt . Slipsik 6
Accuphase E270 . ProAc D15 . REL 205
swajames

Re: Will a Gaio2 help with a recessed treble issue on my LP12?

Post by swajames »

Thank you very much for the helpful reply!

My digital source is the Oppo UDP-205 (both CD and network streaming via Roon and hi-res subscriptions to Tidal and Qobuz) running the analog outputs from the Oppo (RCA and XLR) into my Rotel RAP-1580 and running that as direct analog. Interconnects are Linn Silver, Audioquest XLR and the speaker cable is WitchHat Phantom. The system delivers with digital, the same material streamed or via CD has noticeably better treble extension and bite than on the LP12. I'm likely to move the 2-channel side of things to either a dedicated integrated amp, maybe a Supernait2 or a Primaluna, which does throw another thing into the mix, but I've been happy with the Rotel for 2-channel other than this specific issue with light treble on the LP12.

I will look into your suggestions. I'd not really considered the Slipsik but will look into that too, and will look into whether I can get one or both of them to try from a dealer.

Thanks again!