Kinki 2

Conversations about Lejonklou Products and this Forum

Moderator: Staff

lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Kinki 2

Post by lejonklou »

A major improvement has been made to our entry level MM phono preamplifier Kinki.
Version 2 will start shipping next week. Price remains unchanged; 390€/£350/3900 SEK.

The upgrade is so fundamental that our reference MM phono preamp Slipsik 4 is having problems staying on top.

The improvements made to the Kinki circuit are also applicable on Slipsik, so work has begun to upgrade it to version 5. As there is a lot of work involved adapting the changes to the more complicated Slipsik, this is likely to take several months. When ordering a Slipsik today, the current version is 4.3, which means some of the changes have already been applied.

All Kinki phono preamps can be upgraded to version 2 and the price has been set to 95€/£85/950 SEK. Shipping costs from your retailer to Lejonklou might be added.

I am very much looking forward to the first comments!
Linnofil
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Linnofil »

Stunning news! :shock: I just wonder how much better than Akurate MM the new Slipsik 5 will be? Very much looking forward to hear them both! When will the new Kinki 2.0 be avaliable at Swedish dealers?
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Thanks for the interest!

Kinki 2 might arrive at your dealer by the end of next week, depending on how fast it comes in for the upgrade.

I suggest you compare Kinki 2 with MM in Akurate Kontrol, I'm interested in how you think they compare. Or maybe Kinki 2 + Kikkin against Akurate Kontrol.

I'd rather not speculate about the next version of Slipsik right now, as I have no idea how good it might become or when it will be ready. It has better components and many other potential advantages, but it's also more difficult to properly balance it. I know it will require a LOT of testing.

Kinki 2 has become better than I had ever expected, so it certainly puts pressure on the reference product! To keep the price as low as possible, it is however still only available in silver and has no fancy machining or even printing on the back plate. Nearly all the expenses go to what's inside.
Linntek

Post by Linntek »

Well, it's a kind of embarasing, but I around cristmas I recieved a Slipsik 4.3. I had a Kinki 1 and I didn't really had the time to compare the two so I just hooked up the Slipsik and was happy. Until last night i didn't know how happy I was :D
I have always meant that the Kinki was very good and it still is, however - the Slipsik 4.3 is just much better. It's hard to go back to the Kinki 1.
If the Kinki 2 is givin the Slipsik a hard time, Kinki 2 is a no brainer.
Azazello
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Azazello »

I have been using a Kinki2 for a few weeks now. Although it might not be superior in all aspects; I do believe it's a bit better than Slipsik 4 in terms of fundamental musicallity. I'm looking much forward to the next Slipsik upgrade!
Linntek

Post by Linntek »

Well - how about this. They both have the same serial number. Spookey !!
Efraim roots
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Efraim roots »

I just got myself a Kinki 2 wich I use togheter with a kolektor an I must say I am very impressed! The Kinki took over the system and the music got much better, very tight and balanced, hierarchy clearly rules. I borrowed the slipsik4 from my dealer while I waited for the kinki to arrive and I must say I everytime would prefer kinki 2.IMHO the kinki was much better, so much musically tighter. It was almost as fun to change slipsik 4 to kinki 2 as going from kolektor to slipsik! Is this normal, doesn't seem fair as the slipsik should be better? I also recently read about that Kinki 2 was going to get a small upgrade and I wonder what this is and if I got it, my has sn kin50? I also wonder wich power cord the kinki got as I noticed the text is running from the kinki to the wall and every time I have read your recommendation of powercord direction it has been with the text running from the wall to the equipment. Thanks for an outstanding product, as soon as my kolektor has sold I will buy a kikkin too! You will be rewarded in heaven Mr Lejonklou for your company policy and engagement to offer outstanding performance products without getting in to the dirty and greedy ways of hifi buisness. Thank you!
the players of instruments shall be there..
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Welcome here, Efraim and thank you for all the praise!

You've got a Kinki version 2.1, which is the latest. The change from version 2 to 2.1 came at serial number 0044, so anyone who owns a Kinki 2 with a lower serial number (that hasn't been upgraded in the last month) can have this improvement fitted. It's just one component, so it's a cheap and effective upgrade.

I agree with you regarding the performance of Slipsik 4 versus Kinki 2 (and 2.1 in particular). The Kinki's are simply better and the reason for this is a new power regulation that came with Kinki 2. It really has a fundamental impact on the musicality.

This new power regulation has been fitted to all Slipsiks that have recently been sold (version 4.3 and up), but no offical upgrade has yet been released for older Slipsiks. Slipsik 5 is around the corner, but as this is a "pet product" of mine, I have decided to evaluate each and every idea that I've come up with before I finally release this version. This has taken a lot of time.

The power cord on Kinki is my own Power One (now obsolete as an accessory, but still fitted to Kinki's). It should have the text running the way you describe.

The Kikkin will also very soon be released in a new version. Will tell you more about that in the preamplifier thread and I really need to write a newsletter as well. The last one was ages ago!
Linntek

Post by Linntek »

I prefer my Slipsik 4.3 #24 over my (upgraded) Kinki 2 #24.
Am I nut's ??
I feel I get more musical information from the grooves.
I recently moved my TT and I thought the sound had got worse. Then it came to me that I have switched to my Kinki to solve some hum problem.
Back to the Slipsik and we're back in business.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

No, you're not nuts. I agree with you. The power regulation change (mentioned above) that came with Kinki 2 was applied to Slipsik at version 4.2.

A KINKI3, however, will most probably beat your Slipsik 4.3.

Kinki has taken two big steps, both times passing most of the older Slipsiks in performance. This is because the circuit has been radically changed. And the reason why new ideas have been applied to the Kinki first is that it's much easier to test and implement new solutions on it.

Slipsik is more delicate and requires tuning. It feels a bit like Kinki having one motor in the chassie (Got a better one? Plug it in and drive!) while Slipsik has one for each wheel (Fitting new motors? Make sure they all run equally!). I've worked with Slipsik 5 since last summer and it's just about to be released. It will be the biggest upgrade to Slipsik so far.