Separate But Joined Up?

Conversations about Lejonklou Products and this Forum

Moderator: Staff

sunbeamgls
Very active member
Very active member

Separate But Joined Up?

Post by sunbeamgls »

I know I kind of tried to articulate this when I had the Tundras on dem in my Exakt system, but I don't think I did a very good job of it.

Sat here listening to Presence's album version of the track 'Sense of Danger' and I'm trying to work out how so many disparate sounds (can't call them instruments) and complex layers of rhythm and tunes can be so clearly separate and yet they gel into a continuous musical whole?

Must be magic or something. How would you put it into words, and possibly describe how this works?
Last edited by sunbeamgls on 2018-12-27 12:13, edited 2 times in total.
KSH/0; KEBox/2; 3x Tundra Stereo 2.5; PMC fact.12. Blogger. Exakt Design. SO measuring.
Ozzzy189
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Separate But Joined Up?

Post by Ozzzy189 »

I take it this wasn't quite the case with your previous equipment sunbeam?
ADS3/SagMono/Tundra 2.2- . Totem Tribe Tower.
Lejonklou demos available in the N of England.
David Neel
Very active member
Very active member

Post by David Neel »

I was lucky enough to recently hear sunbeamgls' system. It is the nicest, most musical, exakt system I've heard, and that includes demos at the Linn factory. And the reason is that the musicians are indeed separate but joined up...
The search for knowledge is not nourished by certainty, but by a radical distrust in certainty
sunbeamgls
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sunbeamgls »

Ozzzy189 wrote: 2018-12-24 18:24 I take it this wasn't quite the case with your previous equipment sunbeam?
I thought they were, and Katalyst certainly helped in that direction, but the Tundras have let this element of the source's capabilities shine through in a way the Akurate amps never did.
I think they prove the point that a balanced system is a good thing. Source is always primary, but don't waste what the source is capable of by compromising too much elsewhere.
KSH/0; KEBox/2; 3x Tundra Stereo 2.5; PMC fact.12. Blogger. Exakt Design. SO measuring.
sunbeamgls
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sunbeamgls »

David Neel wrote: 2018-12-24 21:40 I was lucky enough to recently hear sunbeamgls' system. It is the nicest, most musical, exakt system I've heard, and that includes demos at the Linn factory. And the reason is that the musicians are indeed separate but joined up...
Thank you for your kind words DN.
Ozzzy189
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Ozzzy189 »

Which truly baffles me that some people still prefer akurate power over tundra. I appreciate that people are all different and have different ears etc but they're poles apart especially now after numerous improvements.
ADS3/SagMono/Tundra 2.2- . Totem Tribe Tower.
Lejonklou demos available in the N of England.
sunbeamgls
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sunbeamgls »

Ozzzy189 wrote: 2018-12-25 15:10 Which truly baffles me that some people still prefer akurate power over tundra. I appreciate that people are all different and have different ears etc but they're poles apart especially now after numerous improvements.
I think it is more than just the sound for some people. Going Lejonklou has to take more than the sound into account. Fredrik's approach and service seems to me to be very good indeed, but the move to Lejonklou is still going away from the familiar and (in hifi terms) larger and long established company to support a new company on the scene. I'm glad I have made the change, but some may take longer to be confident.

I would, however, draw a parallel with Linn. If there hadn't been enough people willing to buy from the Scotsman with the crazy ideas about source being paramount and his little turntable company back in the mid 1970s, Linn wouldn't be where it is today. So gradually, people will get the message and gradually, confidence will build to go with the start up.
David Neel
Very active member
Very active member

Post by David Neel »

Hmmm... can I both agree and disagree? I took a long time, well over five years, to actually buy Lejonklou. When I did I wondered what took me so long, and the answer is: the difficulty of getting a good, fair, and relevant demonstration. I was not helping the process by trying to be "fair" with those able to offer a demonstration, i.e. not asking too much and so, settling for too little. These days, hifi dealers are often presented as consultants, which MAY frighten off passing trade.

When I bought my first LP12 in 1976, it was from The Soundcraftsman in Melbourne. A shop where you could go in on a Saturday morning, browse, listen, chat, and leave with no implicit obligation to buy. So I bought much of a system in Singapore (avoiding Australian import duties) and my LP12 from The Soundcraftsman, who had demonstrated (without any implicit expectation of sale) how it was better than other turntables. This dealer was a salutary contrast to the one I dealt with on my return to Britain, who had inhaled far too much Linn propoganda. He KNEW what I needed, without asking me...

So the difference I see today is that hifi is now much more a minority interest, and most dealers are reluctant to play music and cater to passing trade, instead relying on a higher hit-rate against the few customers they deal with. It's a rational choice for dealers, but entrenches the status quo...
The search for knowledge is not nourished by certainty, but by a radical distrust in certainty
sunbeamgls
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sunbeamgls »

I don't see the disagreement in any of that DN.
David Neel
Very active member
Very active member

Post by David Neel »

My point is that it took me a long time to buy Lejonklou, despite my awareness. The Linn I purchased very quickly despite my unawareness of the product. It was MUCH easier then to hear comparisons, and to discover new brands via the retailers.
sunbeamgls
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sunbeamgls »

Got it.