Conversations about Lejonklou Products and this Forum

Moderator: Staff

ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Re: EVENTS

Post by ThomasOK »

Hello everyone.
I'm glad to announce that Nokturne Audio/Lejonklou HiFi will be displaying at the Axpona Audio Expo in Schaumberg. Illinois (a suburb of Chicago near the main airport). Fredrik will be flying in to represent Lejonklou with me. I expect it to be a lot of fun as Fredrik and I work very well together and have a reputation for very musical systems and varied musical taste.

Here are some more details:
Axpona Audio Expo North America
Renaissance Schaumberg Hotel and Convention Center
April 14th - 16th, 2023, Friday through Sunday
We will be in Room 1415 which will be the same size and similar layout to the one we were in last time.
https://axpona.com/?gclid=CjwKCAiAh9qdB ... EcQAvD_BwE

This is one of the largest Hi-Fi shows in the US and definitely the largest in the middle of the country. Fredrik and I displayed there in 2019 and our room was very well received. We look forward to repeating the success of that endeavor with even more to display. The plan is to be able to show the new Tundra Mono 3s to the public for the first time if all goes according to plan. Possibly even the SuperKikkin as well.

The system planned is as follows:
Linn Sondek Klimax LP12 with KRadikal2, Keel, Ekos SE/1, Ekstatik, Trampolin2
Lejonklou SINGularity 1.5 mono black MC phono stages
Linn Sondek LP12 with KRadikal2, Keel, Ekos 2, Adikt 3, Trampolin2
Lejonklou Slipsik 8 MM phono stage
Lejonklou Källa Digital Music Player
Lejonklou Sagatun Mono 1.4 mono block preamps
Lejonklou Tundra Mono 3 mono block power amps
Harmoni racks with Trud tops
Lejonklou Giella ∏ 1.2 headphone amp
JMR Orfeo Grande speakers
Headphones:
Abyss Diana TC
Dan Clark Audio Stealth
Grado SR125e with the G cushions (over the ear)
ZMF Verity Open and possibly another model from ZMF

Interestingly, Linn will be displaying in their own room for the first time at Axpona and I understand it will be the US unveiling of a new top line product or two. Speaking of Linn, the turntable configurations could change if they come up with something new for the Klimax LP12 in the next few months. It is the 50th anniversary this spring so who knows.

Edited to add the headphones we will have on display with the Giella ∏ 1.2.
Last edited by ThomasOK on 2023-03-23 18:00, edited 3 times in total.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

ThomasOK wrote: 2023-01-05 19:15 This is one of the largest Hi-Fi shows in the US and definitely the largest in the middle of the country. Fredrik and I displayed there in 2019 and our room was very well received. We look forward to repeating the success of that endeavor with even more to display. The plan is to be able to show the new Tundra Mono 3s to the public for the first time if all goes according to plan. Possibly even the SuperKikkin as well.
Congrats to you Thomas and Fredrik,

I am just wondering why there are much more exhibitions of Lejonklou products at Hi-Fi shows in the US than in Europe.

In Europe we have the High End Munich which has at least the same market penetration as the largest shows in the US.
I can imagine that HE Munich is very expensive but there is at the same time in a smaller venue the hifideluxe which seems to be more appropriate in this case.

Thank you for your understanding :D
Matt

MBP / Exposure pre + power (both modified) / JBL3677
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Updated post above to add the speakers that will be used.
The LP12 Whisperer
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

JMR Orfeo Grande speakers? They’re totally new to me. I’ve not even heard of the manufacturer, although they appear to be quite popular in Europe, especially France. How did you become aware of them, and will you be the new North American distributor by any chance? 🙂
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Never heard of them either. Looking forward to hearing them on the show. :)
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Actually I am taking a chance on these as I haven't heard this model either. I will not be the distributor as Mike Pranka of Toffco is the US distributor. I have heard their least expensive floorstander and thought it was quite good for the money. Interestingly, Mike owns a Boazu, Slipsik and Entity that he has been using in his home system. He recently also picked up Sagatun Mono 1.4s and Tundra Mono 2.2s. So we know he has excellent taste in electronics!

Actually I was trying to decide on a speaker to use for the show, something different than what I used in the past. I like the idea of switching speakers every couple of events as it shows that Lejonklou HiFi gear can make glorious music with a wide range of different speakers. I also wanted to use something different than the Quads since I have already done that and it is nice to use something people can actually buy. I was talking to Mike and found out about this new, top of the line speaker form JMR. One of my dealers, Don Better Audio, says it is "Astonishing from top to bottom. One of the best speakers I have ever heard." Privately he told me that the whole line were his favorite modern speakers (he sells a number of designs based on older horn loaded systems and drivers). Another of my dealers was also quite impressed with the Orfeo Grande and Mike spoke highly of them, as you would expect.

As I mentioned to Fredrik, with the electronics and sources we will be using we should be able to make almost any good speakers sound great. He agreed. :-) The Orfeo Grande are supposed to be a relatively easy to drive speaker and are 91dB efficient. I've also been told that their bass musicality is pretty special and they are quite extended. It'll be interesting to hear how it all works together in the room. They are $19,500 a pair in the US which is well under the top range speakers from most companies with significant lines. That price certainly puts them in line with the other products we will have on display. If they are as musical as has been indicated they would represent another product that outperforms many more expensive units that are out there.
The LP12 Whisperer
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

ThomasOK wrote: 2023-01-31 18:59 ... The Orfeo Grande are supposed to be a relatively easy to drive speaker and are 91dB efficient. I've also been told that their bass musicality is pretty special and they are quite extended. It'll be interesting to hear how it all works together in the room...
I hope you'll be getting them in the 'bleu nuit' colour as a nod to your midnight blue flat metallic wrapped 3677s as well as an 'electroacoustique' nod to your electrostatics ;) May it all go Grandely :)
Matteo
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Matteo »

https://donbetteraudio.com/products/jmr-lunna

Are these the entry level floorstanders?

They seem quite interesting (1,900€); no official dealers in Italy though.

French HiFi has recently caught my attention… The Atoll 300 signature pre / power seem also intriguing

https://www.atoll-electronique.com/en/p ... signature/

https://www.atoll-electronique.com/en/p ... signature/

The Italian distributor is not too far for me in this case.

M.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

tokenbrit wrote: 2023-01-31 20:02
ThomasOK wrote: 2023-01-31 18:59 ... The Orfeo Grande are supposed to be a relatively easy to drive speaker and are 91dB efficient. I've also been told that their bass musicality is pretty special and they are quite extended. It'll be interesting to hear how it all works together in the room...
I hope you'll be getting them in the 'bleu nuit' colour as a nod to your midnight blue flat metallic wrapped 3677s as well as an 'electroacoustique' nod to your electrostatics ;) May it all go Grandely :)
I'm afraid not. Since these are a loan I get what the distributor has, which I understand will be an anthracite grey color. I have seen photos and they look nice although that color option is not showing up on the website for some reason. I would have liked the blue as I find it quite attractive. It would also go along well with my blue metallic Tesla 3. The pair Don Better has are the blue ones.

To Matteo: the JMR units I heard in the store were indeed the Lunna. I wasn't able to spend a long time with them but I did feel they were musical and competitive with others we had in the store.
The LP12 Whisperer
Matteo
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Matteo »

👍🏻 👍🏻
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Another North American event to announce.

The Montréal Audiofest Friday March 24th through Sunday the 26th at the Hotel Bonaventure. https://montrealaudiofest.org/en/home

Matt Thomas of Hearken Audio will have Room 2343 which Fredrik and I are co-sponsoring. Here is a list of the equipment planned for the room:

TJN Reference turntable
Hearken Audio speed controller
Thales Simplicity tonearm
Aidas Mammoth cartridge (it is actually made from mammoth tusk)
Lejonklou Källa Digital Music player
Lejonklou Entity 1.2 MC phono stage
Lejonklou Boazu 1.3 Integrated amp
Graham LS8/1 speakers and stands
Cables and power conditioning from Yeti and Ocellia
Footers and turntable accessories from Combak Harmonix and Artesiania

Due to the show being at the same time I will be flying to Glasgow and Fredrik being very busy and flying to Chicago a couple weeks later for the Axpona show, neither of us will be able to attend Montréal Audiofest this year. Matt recently became a dealer for Lejonklou, really loves the Boazu and Entity 1.2 and is very enthusiastic about the line. The Graham speakers are popular on the forum and the Jean Nantais turntables are quite interesting and something Arjen would approve of. I'm sure Matt will make a very musical sound in an interesting room and I expect it will be well received.

He just put up a video of the system breaking in on Instagram yesterday so you can see what it looks like.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Co8Fm-cN_0A/
The LP12 Whisperer
Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tendaberry »

Yeti and Mammoth? Sounds like they're gonna have a wild time in Montréal ;-) Very interesting to read about the properties of Mammoth tusk as a cartridge material...
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

I have updated the original post above with the headphones I will have at the show. They are:
Abyss Diana TC
Dan Clark Audio Stealth
The LP12 Whisperer
Arjen
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Arjen »

ThomasOK wrote: 2023-02-22 20:04 Another North American event to announce.

The Montréal Audiofest Friday March 24th through Sunday the 26th at the Hotel Bonaventure. https://montrealaudiofest.org/en/home

Matt Thomas of Hearken Audio will have Room 2343 which Fredrik and I are co-sponsoring. Here is a list of the equipment planned for the room:

TJN Reference turntable

Due to the show being at the same time I will be flying to Glasgow and Fredrik being very busy and flying to Chicago a couple weeks later for the Axpona show, neither of us will be able to attend Montréal Audiofest this year. Matt recently became a dealer for Lejonklou, really loves the Boazu and Entity 1.2 and is very enthusiastic about the line. The Graham speakers are popular on the forum and the Jean Nantais turntables are quite interesting and something Arjen would approve of. I'm sure Matt will make a very musical sound in an interesting room and I expect it will be well received.

He just put up a video of the system breaking in on Instagram yesterday so you can see what it looks like.

Note by Arjen:
Thomas, I’d love to hear/read what your opinion is about Jean Nantais TJN Reference (Lenco) Turntable. Surprise to me to read it will play with fredrik’s. My own Lenco 76/s is upgraded by a friend with the TJN mods (among weight, bearing) and sounds great. He himself just developed his own reference super Lenco Turntable with TJN and Troels Gravesen mods, double platter plus Soundeck mat and his own developed 13 inch tone arm, which is another improvement same as Nantais Reference TT.
Lenco 76/S TJN, Dr. Fuss, Supernait2, CD5X, Slipsik7.1, Millon Phantom, Soundeck, AudioSensibility
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Arjen wrote: 2023-03-20 23:53 Thomas, I’d love to hear/read what your opinion is about Jean Nantais TJN Reference (Lenco) Turntable. Surprise to me to read it will play with fredrik’s. My own Lenco 76/s is upgraded by a friend with the TJN mods (among weight, bearing) and sounds great. He himself just developed his own reference super Lenco Turntable with TJN and Troels Gravesen mods, double platter plus Soundeck mat and his own developed 13 inch tone arm, which is another improvement same as Nantais Reference TT.
markiteight, I know we are off topic here so feel free to move this if you feel it a good idea.
I will not be at this show as I mentioned so I won't be able to give you any feedback on the TJN. However, the TJN turntables are part of the reason I met up with Matt Thomas in the first place. He was displaying them with some other electronics and some intriguing speakers from Illumnia at the Toronto AudioFest last October. I decided to visit the show for a day with a couple of Canadian friends so that I could see his room and some of the other interesting Canadian manufacturers and also meet some of the dealers. I left information with a few dealers, he contacted me back in regards to Lejonklou, and the rest is history.

In part after reading some of your comments on Lenco turntables I did some searching online and found out about Jean Nantais. I looked at what he was doing and found some of his theories and design ideas made sense and I am always interested to see if there is anything that really can compete with the LP12. I spent a fair bit of time talking to Jean and he was gracious and informative. It was interesting that he has backed away from the really massive plinth idea and is now making plinths with about half the weight of his earlier ones. It is also interesting that the Lenco design has the idler wheel pressing against the bottom of the platter instead of the rim, which does seem to me to be an advantage. Unfortunately I really couldn't evaluate the TJN table at the show since the arm, cartridge, electronics and speakers were new to me, but it did sound pretty good. I will get an opportunity at some point to really give a good listen to a TJN when I visit Hearken Audio but I don't know how soon it will be.
The LP12 Whisperer
Matteo
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Matteo »

ThomasOK wrote: 2023-03-21 18:15 In part after reading some of your comments on Lenco turntables I did some searching online and found out about Jean N I looked at what he was doing and found some of his theories and design ideas made sense and I am always interested to see if there is anything that really can compete with the LP12.
Tom, have you ever heard the Xerxes 20 plus?
Arjen
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Arjen »

Matteo wrote: 2023-03-21 22:35
ThomasOK wrote: 2023-03-21 18:15 In part after reading some of your comments on Lenco turntables I did some searching online and found out about Jean N I looked at what he was doing and found some of his theories and design ideas made sense and I am always interested to see if there is anything that really can compete with the LP12.
Good to read about the not (only)commercially driven Montreal Audiofest and its audiodiversity. The Xerxes is like LP12 belt driven, the Lenco TJN idler wheel driven and kinda DIY further developed which makes it a very interesting presentation at the MAF end of the month.
Lenco 76/S TJN, Dr. Fuss, Supernait2, CD5X, Slipsik7.1, Millon Phantom, Soundeck, AudioSensibility
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Matteo wrote: 2023-03-21 22:35
I just worked on a Xerxes 20 Plus turntable recently for a customer which had an unusual plinth. It did have the same look to the spring towers but had a lower curved metal piece that it was attached to. He had me install a VandenHul cartridge in it and fix a hum in both channels. I checked it over and found that the arm cable had just fallen out. Plugged it back in and did a quick checkover on the whole table plus did the torques and settings on the arm and new cartridge. Everything was OK and he was very happy to get it back operating properly. Although I have had it here twice (once a few years back for another cartridge change) I didn't do any direct A/B comparisons with an LP12. There wasn't anything musically that caught my attention but that's really all I can say about it.
The LP12 Whisperer
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

I thought I'd touch a little more about why the TJN tables caught my attention. For starters, I am not convinced by the whole idler drive concept. I have compared my LP12 directly with a Shindo turntable, which is basically a super Garrard 301 that some consider a hot table and the Klimax LP12 was easily more musical. I have also rebuilt several Thorens TD124s (not a true idler drive but a turntable that combines an idler AND a belt - basically giving you the worst of both worlds). Despite the love some give this vintage design I found it no better than a Rega Planar 3, if as good. There are many other vintage tables I have refurbished but nothing I have found really exciting musically.

However, I do admit there is a possibility the Lenco setup could have some musical benefit. What makes it more interesting is the work Jean Nantais has put into them. His Ultimate Lenco is the one that interests me the most and there is very little left from a Lenco by the time you get to that version. His ideas of keeping platter mass low (instead of these huge, massive platters you now often see) but instead making he platter 14.4" to give it more inertia is interesting. It is also closer to what Linn does with the 9lb platter rather than some massive thing. Jean talks about choosing the alloy for the platter and for the custom made chassis through listening tests, which is certainly a good sign. He also talked to me about how he uses a combination of different woods for their musical quality when combined. His comment to me that with the woods and techniques he now uses that a 100lb plinth was found not to be optimal and the newer "SlimLine" of about 50lbs now being the standard also sounds sensible. So at least based on what he says on how he designs the parts and combines them it sounds hopeful. Of course, it all comes down to if he has been listening to the right things and if he has been able to take the musicality farther than Linn has. This I hope to be able to ascertain sometime this year with a visit to Matt's place with my LP12 in tow.
The LP12 Whisperer
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

ThomasOK wrote: 2023-03-17 23:04 I have updated the original post above with the headphones I will have at the show. They are:
Abyss Diana TC
Dan Clark Audio Stealth
I had a conversation with Pierre (Pierre@headonist) on his thoughts about Dan Clark Stealth and Abyss Diana TC with Giella ∏. While commenting that both would work well with Giella ∏ he mentioned some headphones from ZMF that he thought were a great match. He also said that a forum member had dropped by his store and was quite impressed by the Giella ∏ and the ZMF Verity Open headphones. So I contacted Zack at ZMF, mentioned Pierrre's suggestion I check them out and that I would be doing Axpona showing a few headphones with the Giella ∏. It turns out that he will be there as well in the Ear Gear area and will be happy to lend me a pair or two of his phones for the show. So I expect that we will have the ZMF Verity Open and possibly a set of the Atrium on display along with the others I noted above..
The LP12 Whisperer
Arjen
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Arjen »

ThomasOK wrote: 2023-02-22 20:04 Another North American event to announce.

TJN Reference turntable

Rick Becker, Enjoy the Music, wrote me about the Montreal show. He says “the Hearken Room had outstanding sound quality with the high regardable TJN Lenco turntable and Lejonklou components”.
Whatsmynaim

Post by Whatsmynaim »

Here's more glowing remarks about the Hearken Room:
https://www.stereophile.com/content/hea ... ngineering
https://www.enjoythemusic.com/Salon_Aud ... /page3.htm

Quotes from Hearken Audio's FB page: (I hope it's okay to post them here.)
--------------------------------
"This is a great room. The Graham actually sounds better than any Harbeth I have heard ! Open, dynamic yet relaxed and non-fatiguing. But the delight was hearing the Lejonklou gear! The Yeti isolation/power conditioner is a must have for anyone seeking better sound!"

"One of the very best rooms this year. Love the passion and thank you for making us feel comfortable."
Arjen
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Arjen »

Whatsmynaim wrote: 2023-04-06 09:44 Here's more glowing remarks about the Hearken Room:
https://www.stereophile.com/content/hea ... ngineering
https://www.enjoythemusic.com/Salon_Aud ... /page3.htm

Quotes from Hearken Audio's FB page: (I hope it's okay to post them here.)
"This is a great room. The Graham actually sounds better than any Harbeth I have heard ! Open, dynamic yet relaxed and non-fatiguing. But the delight was hearing the Lejonklou gear! The Yeti isolation/power conditioner is a must have for anyone seeking better sound!"

"One of the very best rooms this year. Love the passion and thank you for making us feel comfortable."
“A match in heaven” as Hearken says on FB, JNT Lenco, Lejonklou, Graham and Yeti gear (from a dutchman -Thijs Jaring- I hadn't heard of until now). My experience is the same, My modificated Lenco, Nagaoka cartridge, Lejonklou Slipsik and dutch Millon speakers is a match in heaven too, although connected with Canadian Audio Sensibility cables, Naim amplification and some other tweaks.
Sopper
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Sopper »

Bummer… now I have to look at graham speakers…
KÄLLA > Sagatun Mono 1.7 > Tundra Mono 3.0 > Graham LS8/1F
Cables: Trivium Audio Cables
mrco99
Very active member
Very active member

Post by mrco99 »

...no, you should listen to them...

;-)
Distributor of Lejonklou | Aqua | Graham Audio | Klangedang | NOKTable | Ophidian | The Wand