Single source only more musical?

Conversations about Lejonklou Products and this Forum

Moderator: Staff

bonzo
Very active member
Very active member

Single source only more musical?

Post by bonzo »

While enjoying reading about Sagutun monos, I noticed in the photo of the rear of the u it the option/ability to select single source. Does this have a positive impact on musicality?
lp12, Keel, K Radikal, Urika, EkosSe/1 Kandid KK1/D, JBL 708p
Linn Pekin
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Single source only more musical?

Post by tokenbrit »

bonzo wrote:While enjoying reading about Sagutun monos, I noticed in the photo of the rear of the u it the option/ability to select single source. Does this have a positive impact on musicality?
As I understand it, the yellow, single source inputs are slightly better than inputs 1-4, and a further improvement is gained by throwing the switch to select the single source exclusively by turning off inputs 1-4 so, short answer: yes.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Yes, in fact there's two small extra gains in performance to be had on both Sagatun Mono and Sagatun stereo:

The first is to use the Single Source input. This input routes the signal past the switches that select input 1-4 and directly into the volume control. The Single Source input sounds a little better than input 1-4.

It's perfectly possible to plug one source (for instance your turntable) into the Single Source input and at the same time other sources (for instance a digital source) into inputs 1-4. The Single Source will always be heard when it's on, while inputs 1-4 will need to be selected. That means if you play both at once, they will both be heard, mixed together. That's not a feature, just a result of how the Single Source input works - added straight to the volume control.

The second gain is to flip the rear switch 'Single Source' down. This shuts down input 1-4 and the result is that the Single Source input sounds a little better still.
bonzo
Very active member
Very active member

Post by bonzo »

Thank you sir for your quick response. There was a part of me that just knew you wouldn’t have those options/functions unless they improved the tune! Sagutun monos and Ekos SE get me to the finish line however the view is pretty spectacular from here already, much thanks to your tundra mono2s!
lp12, Keel, K Radikal, Urika, EkosSe/1 Kandid KK1/D, JBL 708p
Linn Pekin
macrotech2
Very active member
Very active member

Post by macrotech2 »

Just be careful if you use the single source and input 4 set to unity gain though. If you’re using input 4 and your source in the direct input is turned on accidentally, it’s VERY LOUD!
Källa/Sagatun Mono Tarandus/Tundra Mono 3/Avalon Idea Mk2
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

macrotech2 wrote:Just be careful if you use the single source and input 4 set to unity gain though. If you’re using input 4 and your source in the direct input is turned on accidentally, it’s VERY LOUD!
This sounds like someone who speaks from experience!

Yes, 80dB volume setting can be very loud, depending on the output of the source. But I don't believe bonzo is planning to use the SMs in a shared AV system so he shouldn't have to worry about that.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
macrotech2
Very active member
Very active member

Post by macrotech2 »

ThomasOK wrote:
macrotech2 wrote:Just be careful if you use the single source and input 4 set to unity gain though. If you’re using input 4 and your source in the direct input is turned on accidentally, it’s VERY LOUD!
This sounds like someone who speaks from experience!
Yes I do, and so does my wife, and she wasn't happy!
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Ouch!

This is indeed a risk when combining Single Source perfection with the Unity Gain feature.
u252agz
Very active member
Very active member

Post by u252agz »

When I use unity gain, I have learned to place the Sagatun remote in a different place from its normal location ( the volume and channel are fixed, so no need to use it on unity gain)

This unusual location serves as a useful reminder that Unity Gain is still on, when I reach for the LP12.

If despite this , I still forget, the loud crackles before the first track are a second and more urgent reminder that I need to do something quickly.
Kalla/Sag M/Tun M3/242/LP12/Slip7

Kalla/Giella Pi/JBL308/RS2e

Majik LP12/Boazu/110s
snatex

Post by snatex »

lejonklou wrote: 2018-07-17 17:47
Ouch!

This is indeed a risk when combining Single Source perfection with the Unity Gain feature.
What do you think is best way to balance these risks and benefits in setup and use when running an LP12, DS and sending the fronts from an AV processor to input 4? LP12 in single source and try to remember to turn on the single source switch in the back before playing and off after playing? Or use the SS input but not the switch and change off of input 4 to the unused input 2 or 3 before using LP12? Or just take the performance hit and put the LP12 in input 1? Another thing to consider is that others in my family will want to use the AV source so it needs to be easy to turn on and off. Leaving the Sagatun in standby with input 4 always active seems to make sense. Does the Sagatun work with universal remotes if the input needs to be changed?
LP12 / Entity / Sagatun Monos / Tundra Monos / Harbeth M30.1 / Rythmik E22's
macrotech2
Very active member
Very active member

Post by macrotech2 »

LP12 in single source seems the best option to me. It’s unlikely that you’ve left the LP12 running when someone is using AV. The worst case is no sound if you’ve forgotten to flick the switch. Better than a very loud shock!

The Sagatun uses standard IR codes so is controllable by Universal remotes. I’ve always used Harmony remotes to control my system.
snatex

Post by snatex »

macrotech2 wrote: 2021-04-22 07:51 LP12 in single source seems the best option to me. It’s unlikely that you’ve left the LP12 running when someone is using AV. The worst case is no sound if you’ve forgotten to flick the switch. Better than a very loud shock!

The Sagatun uses standard IR codes so is controllable by Universal remotes. I’ve always used Harmony remotes to control my system.

Thank you!! So do you typically engage the switch in the back when you play the LP12? Have you compared switch on vs switch off vs input 1? Do you typically just leave input 4 selected so if your AV stuff is powered on it just plays?
macrotech2
Very active member
Very active member

Post by macrotech2 »

snatex wrote: 2021-04-22 18:11
macrotech2 wrote: 2021-04-22 07:51 LP12 in single source seems the best option to me. It’s unlikely that you’ve left the LP12 running when someone is using AV. The worst case is no sound if you’ve forgotten to flick the switch. Better than a very loud shock!

Thank you!! So do you typically engage the switch in the back when you play the LP12? Have you compared switch on vs switch off vs input 1? Do you typically just leave input 4 selected so if your AV stuff is powered on it just plays?
I only have one source now so it’s simple. Back when I had a surround system the KDS was in single source input and I flicked the switch for best quality (and forgot to switch it back quite a few times). I don’t have an LP12.

I have everything controlled by a Harmony remote so it was set up to switch inputs depending upon the activity. This included switching to any input but 4 for DS listening.

I did get caught out with the deafening unity gain if the DS was left on but you wouldn’t have that problem with the LP12.

Sorry I didn’t do any serious input comparison.
snatex

Post by snatex »

macrotech2 wrote: 2021-04-22 18:57
snatex wrote: 2021-04-22 18:11

I only have one source now so it’s simple. Back when I had a surround system the KDS was in single source input and I flicked the switch for best quality (and forgot to switch it back quite a few times). I don’t have an LP12.

I have everything controlled by a Harmony remote so it was set up to switch inputs depending upon the activity. This included switching to any input but 4 for DS listening.

I did get caught out with the deafening unity gain if the DS was left on but you wouldn’t have that problem with the LP12.

Sorry I didn’t do any serious input comparison.
With monos do you just flick the single source switch on the master unit or do you have to do it on both units?
David Neel
Very active member
Very active member

Post by David Neel »

snatex wrote: 2021-04-26 18:11 With monos do you just flick the single source switch on the master unit or do you have to do it on both units?
Both. But it's worth it... :)
The search for knowledge is not nourished by certainty, but by a radical distrust in certainty
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

David Neel wrote: 2021-04-26 18:39
snatex wrote: 2021-04-26 18:11 With monos do you just flick the single source switch on the master unit or do you have to do it on both units?
Both. But it's worth it... :)
Indeed!
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.