Gaio 2

Conversations about Lejonklou Products and this Forum

Moderator: Staff

OscarH
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Gaio 2.4

Post by OscarH »

Just the other day I was wondering whether there would be upgrades coming also on the lower tier products and to be honest I assumed that probably wasn't a priority. I'm impressed that such upgrades do in fact continue to come.

Did someone say 'Customer First'? Kudos to Fredrik!

I will need to get the Hakai up and running before I can be without the Gaio 2 even for a day...
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Gaio 2

Post by ThomasOK »

I was quite pleased when Fredrik told Marco and I that this would be made available as an upgrade to existing Gaio 2s. Normally the Gaio is not upgradeable as it is not cost effective, but this upgrade is nowhere near as complex to do as the Slipsik 6 to 7 upgrade.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
FalseMetal666

Post by FalseMetal666 »

I don't suppose it would be possible to upgrade a Gaio 1 to 2.4 spec?
OscarH
Very active member
Very active member

Post by OscarH »

My Gaio 2 is on its way to Uppsala to have a dot and a four added on the back panel.

I recorded some ‘before’ clips before packing it. These at least came out better than my previous attempts so let’s see if they can make for a useful comparison after the upgrade.

Reports from Hamburg may be forthcoming before that though. Exciting all the same.
V.A.MKD
Very active member
Very active member

Post by V.A.MKD »

Great, from 2.0 will be 2.4.
Before and After are in expectation ... :)
OscarH wrote: 2020-02-02 14:29 My Gaio 2 is on its way to Uppsala to have a dot and a four added on the back panel.

I recorded some ‘before’ clips before packing it. These at least came out better than my previous attempts so let’s see if they can make for a useful comparison after the upgrade.

Reports from Hamburg may be forthcoming before that though. Exciting all the same.
Music First ...
Vlado
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

FalseMetal666 wrote: 2020-01-31 18:39 I don't suppose it would be possible to upgrade a Gaio 1 to 2.4 spec?
Apologies for my late reply, Falsemetal!

In theory, it's possible. In practice, it's complicated and time consuming. Therefore I decided when Gaio 2 was released that an upgrade from Gaio 1 wouldn't be offered. It would be too expensive in relation to the price of the unit.
FalseMetal666

Post by FalseMetal666 »

lejonklou wrote: 2020-02-04 23:05
FalseMetal666 wrote: 2020-01-31 18:39 I don't suppose it would be possible to upgrade a Gaio 1 to 2.4 spec?
Apologies for my late reply, Falsemetal!

In theory, it's possible. In practice, it's complicated and time consuming. Therefore I decided when Gaio 2 was released that an upgrade from Gaio 1 wouldn't be offered. It would be too expensive in relation to the price of the unit.
I assumed as much, thanks for answering though!
OscarH
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Gaio 2::

Post by OscarH »

Today the Gaio 2:: (as is the actual rear panel marking rather than a 4) and I were reunited with the rest of the Hi-Fi.

Pardon my (still) poor tune dem lingo... but it’s good. It plays beautiful music.

Is the improvement in the bass, as suggested in the upgrade announcement? It may well be, but then again a clearer bass with more nuance makes the entire song flow better.

Very happy.

(As a side note I do wonder what the upgrade actually consists of... did the case have those three Phillips screws at the bottom before? I don’t remember)
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Gaio 2::

Post by lejonklou »

OscarH wrote: 2020-02-17 21:33 Today the Gaio 2:: (as is the actual rear panel marking rather than a 4) and I were reunited with the rest of the Hi-Fi.

Pardon my (still) poor tune dem lingo... but it’s good. It plays beautiful music.

Is the improvement in the bass, as suggested in the upgrade announcement? It may well be, but then again a clearer bass with more nuance makes the entire song flow better.

Very happy.

(As a side note I do wonder what the upgrade actually consists of... did the case have those three Phillips screws at the bottom before? I don’t remember)
Excellent to hear it's back in your system, OscarH!

Now that I've made the comparison with Gaio 2 many times, I must say that to me, what's improved is everything. At first I noticed the bass, then with each song there was something else that caught my attention. Vocals make more sense, drums are more accurate, pianos are better tuned.

Yes, those screws on the bottom are the same. What has changed is four components on the main board, inside the case. I planned to explain in detail what I'd done, but soon gave up because it became so complicated. "I changed the servo" necessitates explaining what a servo is and what it does. And then in what way it affects the music, etc.

Keep spinning those records!
OscarH
Very active member
Very active member

Post by OscarH »

I have posted my attempt at comparison in the playground just now.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

In the latest edition of the Norwegian HiFi magazine Stereo+, Slipsik 7.1 and Gaio 2.4 are tested.

They both get fantastic reviews.

Gaio is graded: Flexibility 9/10, Quality 9/10 and Sound value for money 8/10.

You can read it online, pages 46-49:
https://www.stereopluss.no
WheresMyNaim

Post by WheresMyNaim »

Congratulations!
OscarH
Very active member
Very active member

Post by OscarH »

It would appear that the latest edition (presumably 7/2020) is not yet online... unless either my Internet or my Norwegian skills are severely lacking (my wife might claim the latter to be true)...

Either way, it's no surprise that these products receive good reviews and I look forward to reading them when they go online. One interesting aspect is that the reviewer presumably arrived at the conclusion using another set of evaluation criteria than how the products were developed.

EDIT: NOW it's online.
Matteo
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Matteo »

Yesterday I became an happy owner of one of the last Gaio 2.4 (thanks Marco).

Last night I listened to Chicago VII with the Gaio 2.4 ... awesome piece of kit for the money.

M.