A surprise outcome....

Conversations about Lejonklou Products and this Forum

Moderator: Staff

Matteo
Very active member
Very active member

Re: A surprise outcome....

Post by Matteo »

Don’t remember where, but I read that AK/1 sounds better without Ethernet connection ...

I need to try this

M.
David Neel
Very active member
Very active member

Post by David Neel »

A couple of hours ago, three boxes were delivered.....
The search for knowledge is not nourished by certainty, but by a radical distrust in certainty
David Neel
Very active member
Very active member

Post by David Neel »

Everything is now connected and playing...

First impressions are very good, and I have read enough to be patient while the units burn in. Direct comparisons are not possible because my AK/1 and 6100 have been gone for a week, but unnecessary because the change is so great. One observation is that the single input, while still an advance, seems a less dramatic improvement than on the Sagatun stereo.

I have heard Urika II through a full Klimax Exakt system. I took along my own vinyl. When somebody gets a proper A/B going (ThomasOK?) I would put strong money on Urika I and Sagatun Monos being preferable to Urika II and Klimax Katalyst DVC. Through the Klimax exakt system, Urika II was a big improvement over Urika I, but with my Urika I and the Sagatun Monos I think I not only get at least as much resolution, but more musicality. Caveat: obviously systems and rooms varied greatly, and I am relying on memory.

Many thanks to John Stirling at Kantata Audio. And of course Fredrik!
The search for knowledge is not nourished by certainty, but by a radical distrust in certainty
Matteo
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Matteo »

Thanks David

Keep us updated.

M.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Hi David!

Great to hear that you received the three boxes and that they're already up and playing!

Regarding the Single Source input, there's actually two small steps of improvement compared to the regular inputs:

The first is that you change input, from 1, 2, 3 or 4 to the direct coupled Single Source input. The only difference there is that you don't pass any switch, it goes straight in.

The second is that you flip the rear switch down, from Normal operation to Single Source. That shuts down the switches on input 1, 2, 3 and 4.

Did you do both? There's no harm in using the Single Source input and at the same time input 1, if you have two sources. But the Single Source input sounds a bit better still when the rear switch is down and inputs 1-4 are disabled.
David Neel
Very active member
Very active member

Post by David Neel »

Hi Fredrik,

That could explain it. At the demo John used a regular input, then both changes were made. At home, I used the yellow dot input for vinyl from the start, so the comparison was only the difference made by the switch. Good to know I'm not imagining things!
Erik

Post by Erik »

lejonklou wrote:Hi David!
Did you do both? There's no harm in using the Single Source input and at the same time input 1, if you have two sources. But the Single Source input sounds a bit better still when the rear switch is down and inputs 1-4 are disabled.
Or any of the inputs, I prefer input 3 as it sounds a tad better.

/Erik
mrco99
Very active member
Very active member

Post by mrco99 »

And use the upper output of Sagatun to Tundra, as this sounds just a bit better than the lower one.
Distributor of Lejonklou | Aqua | Graham Audio | Klangedang | NOKTable | Ophidian | The Wand
Matteo
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Matteo »

So, with two sources, is the best possible connection LP12 on direct input and DS on input 3?

Direct input sounds better when other inputs are disabled with the back switch, correct?

M.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Erik wrote:Or any of the inputs, I prefer input 3 as it sounds a tad better.
Is this true for both of your Sagatun Mono's? My guess would be that it's a coincidence, as the different inputs are as equally matched as I have been able to make then. But there may still be something I haven't quite understood yet.
mrco99 wrote:And use the upper output of Sagatun to Tundra, as this sounds just a bit better than the lower one.
Yes, I was just going to recommend this in this thread. I also find the upper output a tad better, on all Sagatun's.
Matteo wrote:So, with two sources, is the best possible connection LP12 on direct input and DS on input 3?
If you value your LP12 listening more than your DS, the answer is yes.
Matteo wrote:Direct input sounds better when other inputs are disabled with the back switch, correct?
Yes, the direct switch disables input 1-4, which does benefit the quality of the direct input.
Erik

Post by Erik »

lejonklou wrote:
Erik wrote:Or any of the inputs, I prefer input 3 as it sounds a tad better.
Is this true for both of your Sagatun Mono's? My guess would be that it's a coincidence, as the different inputs are as equally matched as I have been able to make then. But there may still be something I haven't quite understood b
Will check again. My lazyness made me connect them as the previous ones.

Erik
Matteo
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Matteo »

Thanks Fredrik

M
David Neel
Very active member
Very active member

Post by David Neel »

Thanks for all the detail tips, I have either adopted them , or will try them shortly.

In the meantime, I have now had four days' listening and my system is sounding better than ever. But not as good as it will be soon...

The Tundra is on its way back, and will be replaced shortly by a pair of Monos. Thank you to Kantata Audio and Fredrik for facilitating this. I will be without music for a short while, but it's all in a good cause.

If you're going to be a bear, you might as well be a grizzly..... :)
mrco99
Very active member
Very active member

Post by mrco99 »

Congrats!

You may consider yourself a grinning grizzly right now, but just wait until the Monos arrive - you'll be a BIG grinning grizzly by then... :-)

I suppose with such developments you couldn't have picked a more appropriate thread title.
Distributor of Lejonklou | Aqua | Graham Audio | Klangedang | NOKTable | Ophidian | The Wand
u252agz
Very active member
Very active member

Post by u252agz »

Now that really is a surprise - I thought you might last a few more days at least.

Congratulations and enjoy.
Kalla/Sag M/Tun M3/242/LP12/Slip7

Kalla/Giella Pi/JBL308/RS2e

Majik LP12/Boazu/110s
Matteo
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Matteo »

Matteo wrote:Don’t remember where, but I read that AK/1 sounds better without Ethernet connection ...

I need to try this

M.
Yesterday I did some tests with and without ethernet connection: no differences in sound at all.

M.