Infrared Camera reveals how musical the Tundra Monos really are!

Conversations about Lejonklou Products and this Forum

Moderator: Staff

SaltyDog
Very active member
Very active member

Infrared Camera reveals how musical the Tundra Monos really are!

Post by SaltyDog »

One of the toys I recently acquired for the boat is a FLIR Scout handheld thermal camera.

Wanting to play around with it anyway, I thought about how I had heard about the heat generated when playing a record. So anyway, not much to the heat thing on the record.

What I did observe was the Tundras hot spots play in time to the music. The temperature must be changing that quick! All this is new tech to me. The angle that was most impressive was from about 45 degrees offset to the side. What I saw was on the closest one was heat originating at the back left hand side about 3 inches wide shooting towards the front parallel to the side. Edges of the boxes also showed heat, but not as much synchronization.

Very fast temperature changes. I use the setting that highlights in orange.

If this is of any interest I only have a few days to test any more. Let me know your thoughts.
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Infrared Camera reveals how musical the Tundra Monos really are!

Post by Spannko »

That sounds fascinating and it’s something I’ve never heard of before. Is there any chance you could post a video?
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Hi Salty!

I also have a Flir thermal camera, which is very handy in fault finding and when designing a product. For instance when analysing how different areas of a circuit board heat up, how fast and far it spreads, how fast it cools, etc.

For RMAF 2016 I brought some thermal photographs printed on paper to show visitors the difference between using aluminum and copper as the heat sink material in Boazu. As copper transmits the heat nearly twice as fast as aluminium, the pictures show how the transistors run hotter when bolted to aluminium (which is hot near the transistors and cooler away from them), while the copper heat sink cools them more efficiently by transmitting the heat away (the heat becomes more evenly distributed across the whole area).

The decision to use copper in Boazu was, as always, based on listening tests. Copper sounded a lot more solid and musically convincing. But it was fun to measure the difference in the thermal pictures.

I never thought of publishing those thermal pictures until you brought this up. Perhaps I should?
SaltyDog
Very active member
Very active member

Post by SaltyDog »

The video thing is beyond my capabilities, time factored in.

Further observations are going to have repeat-ability issues. For one thing when the distance to object is decreased, the image improves in contrast, then the thing goes into an auto re-calibration mode.

The main observation is how fast the heating and cooling is, and that is in sync with the tune.