Lejonklou with other speakers besides Linn and JBL

Conversations about Lejonklou Products and this Forum

Moderator: Staff

macrotech2
Very active member
Very active member

Lejonklou with other speakers besides Linn and JBL

Post by macrotech2 »

Now that I have the front end of my system pretty much sorted, I was idly considering a change of speaker from my current 242s. Is there anyone here using speakers other than Linn or JBL, or anyone with suggestions on what I should consider?
Källa/Sagatun Mono Tarandus/Tundra Mono 3/Avalon Idea Mk2
donuk
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Lejonklou with other speakers besides Linn and JBL

Post by donuk »

I have a pair of the original classic Totem Signature Model 1s. They work very well with my Tundra 2. I use them on a pair of Linn Kann stands.

A couple of regular correspondents to this forum have heard my system and would endorse this.

Although my speakers have not been in production for a year or so, I understand that Totem are updating the Model 1s which are now on the market.

Worth having a look at this review:
https://www.wifihifi.ca/LatestNewsHeadl ... reOne.html

I think that Chris at Hidden Systems would be able to obtain some for anyone interested.

Donuk sunny downtown York.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

I've haven't got any direct experience but since you've had little response I thought I would chip in.

If you're looking for something very efficient, then I enjoyed Living Voice Avatar speakers several years ago, although I didn't hear them with any equipment I was familiar with so hard to know what their influence is or whether they would sound good with Lejonklou equipment. Here's a review: http://positive-feedback.com/Issue50/livingvoice.htm

I'm hoping Tony can get a pair of Russell K Red 150s for me to compare against 242s at some point in the future. Will let you know if that happens. However, a couple of people have already said they can't compete with 242s in some respects. I just like the ethos behind their design, i.e. not over-damping everything but working with the vibrations.

PMC is popular with some linn owners. I know Tony enjoyed the FACT8 but still prefers 242s overall.
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

From experience: Spendor - S series work fine if a little laid back... I have yet to hear D7s (or D9s) powered by Lejonklou, but D7s with Linn amps sound good (musically enjoyable)
Limited experience: Harbeth - seem to be a love 'em or leave 'em brand, but sounded ok in an unfamiliar room with unconventional placement. Worth a try if you have a dealer nearby but not as mainstream as Spendor so dealers rarely seen to carry Harbeth & Linn, let alone Harbeth & Lejonklou...
Would like to try: DeVore Fidelity Orangutan; Dynaudio (check with Tom); PMC (already mentioned - I didn't like the Fact8 when I heard them with Linn, but the Twenty5 series are meant to be more musical...)
Otherwise, consider Vienna Acoustic or Vandersteen (again, check with Tom)
And, of course, there's the Klangedang T1 (well regarded by those on here who have heard them)

Turned into a bit of a list - most offered as food for thought more than personal recommendation.
Last edited by tokenbrit on 2017-10-31 13:47, edited 1 time in total.
u252agz
Very active member
Very active member

Post by u252agz »

I had this feeling a while back and considered the Klangedang T1s - very favourably reviewed on this forum and now with internal filters - I think.

Although you mentioned Non Linn only - Akudorkis supposed to be really good; and if you just want a cheap and cheerful change to a really musical speaker ( and not too fussed re bass,dynamics etc ) may I suggest Linn Komponent 110s . I now have two pairs in my secondary systems and they sounded great with KDS/Lejonklou amps.
Kalla/Sag M/Tun M3/242/LP12/Slip7

Kalla/Giella Pi/JBL308/RS2e

Majik LP12/Boazu/110s
anthony
Very active member
Very active member

Post by anthony »

For the amount you would achieve second hand, I cannot think of any speaker I prefer.
Have heard RussellK sounding good, but definitely not 242 territory.
The twenty5 26 PMC sounded good, as did fact 12.
Would pick akubariks or 350s next so not much help.
macrotech2
Very active member
Very active member

Post by macrotech2 »

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.

As speakers are such a personal choice, they have to be home demmable before purchase.
Sadly this rules out the Klangedang T1s unless Chris or Anthony pick up a pair. How about it guys?

As Anthony suggests I suspect the 242s are going to be very difficult to beat.
I'm not ruling out Akubariks but, having broken out of the Linn mould after over 30 years, I want to cast my net wider and try other possibilities. Having said that, I have heard Akubariks sound fantastic on the end of Lejonklou electronics.

Has anyone tried Kudos?
Källa/Sagatun Mono Tarandus/Tundra Mono 3/Avalon Idea Mk2
sunbeamgls
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sunbeamgls »

macrotech2 wrote:
Has anyone tried Kudos?
You can read quite a bit about Kudos with Naim and Linn electronics at audiophilemusings.co.uk, but unfortunately never heard them with Lejonklou, although that might change in the near future.
Last edited by sunbeamgls on 2017-11-20 15:09, edited 1 time in total.
KSH/0; KEBox/2; 3x Tundra Stereo 2.5; PMC fact.12. Blogger. Exakt Design. SO measuring.
maffe
Very active member
Very active member

Post by maffe »

When I was in the market for new speakers it was between T1 and Akudorik. Ended up with Akudorik much due to the external filters that the T1 have, just could not fit the filter box in a WAF safe place ;)
The Akudoriks handle our room a little better then the T1, but the T1 was the more musical speaker.
If the T1i (internal filter) had been a more finished product at the time I would have had a harder time choosing!
Using Tundra Mono 2.2
Ozzzy189
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Ozzzy189 »

Perhaps the new totem signatures would be of interest to you guys. They have a lot to live up to.
https://www.wifihifi.ca/LatestNewsHeadl ... reOne.html
Thanks to Chris for the link.
Edit : sniped by Don!
ADS3/SagMono/Tundra 2.2- . Totem Tribe Tower.
Lejonklou demos available in the N of England.
j22928

Post by j22928 »

Has anyone listened to Larsen speakers? They seem to be popular in the US press now, but I have no way of hearing them
Jim
JoDeKo

Post by JoDeKo »

Hi,

what´s about Harbeth speakera. I haven´t tested it already, but this should be a great combination. Hopefully I will have a possibility in 2018.

Jo
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny (Frank Zappa)

Just Listen
David Neel
Very active member
Very active member

Post by David Neel »

JoDeKo wrote:Hi,

what´s about Harbeth speakera. I haven´t tested it already, but this should be a great combination. Hopefully I will have a possibility in 2018.

Jo
I've always found Harbeth (and Spendor) a bit like I understand Prozac to be - you are aware of everything that's happening, but it doesn't matter much...

But the Graham LS5/9 (and 5/8) are both BBC-style AND grip your attention. The LS5/8 is better, but too big for my room. Both were significantly more musical than passive Akubariks when I took my Lejonklou quartet to my dealer. The LS5/9 arrives for home demo tomorrow...
The search for knowledge is not nourished by certainty, but by a radical distrust in certainty
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

David Neel wrote:But the Graham LS5/9 (and 5/8) are both BBC-style AND grip your attention. The LS5/8 is better, but too big for my room. Both were significantly more musical than passive Akubariks when I took my Lejonklou quartet to my dealer. The LS5/9 arrives for home demo tomorrow...
I am intruiged by these speakers and your description of what they do, especially against Akubariks. I would like to hear them myself now.

Have you heard Russell K speakers on your travels? I suspect they are more Majik levels of resolution but Ive heard good things about them. I think Russell worked for a Linn dealer for a while and seems to have taken some of the LP12 ethos on managing vibration, instead of damping, into the speaker design.
David Neel
Very active member
Very active member

Post by David Neel »

I've heard Russell K a couple of times. I liked them, they reminded me of Kans with bass, i.e. lively, bouncy, not necessarily too accurate. But I don't think they are anywhere close to Akubarik or even 242.
The search for knowledge is not nourished by certainty, but by a radical distrust in certainty
Sopper
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Sopper »

David Neel wrote:
JoDeKo wrote:Hi,

Jo
I've always found Harbeth (and Spendor) a bit like I understand Prozac to be - you are aware of everything that's happening, but it doesn't matter much...

But the Graham LS5/9 (and 5/8) are both BBC-style AND grip your attention. The LS5/8 is better, but too big for my room. Both were significantly more musical than passive Akubariks when I took my Lejonklou quartet to my dealer. The LS5/9 arrives for home demo tomorrow...
It’s a matter of taste.
I have also read opinions from Audio lovers stating the opposite.
Never auditioned Graham myself, but I do very much like my Harbeths i.c.w. Linn/Lejonklou.
KÄLLA > Sagatun Mono 1.7 > Tundra Mono 3.0 > Graham LS8/1F
Cables: Trivium Audio Cables
David Neel
Very active member
Very active member

Post by David Neel »

Hi Sopper,

Which Harbeths do you have? I've heard the monitor 40s and a smaller pair (Compact 7?) as well as others briefly at shows. I've felt that there is a lot of detail and good tonal balance BBC-style, but that they lacked musical engagement. Mind you, I've not heard them with Linn or Lejonklou amplification.

I'm not sure why it should be that Grahams, with a very similar design, should sound so different to me, unless it is because I've heard them with Linn and Lejonklou amplification...
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

David Neel wrote:I've heard Russell K a couple of times. I liked them, they reminded me of Kans with bass, i.e. lively, bouncy, not necessarily too accurate. But I don't think they are anywhere close to Akubarik or even 242.
Thanks David.
Sopper
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Sopper »

David Neel wrote: Mind you, I've not heard them with Linn or Lejonklou amplification.

I'm not sure why it should be that Grahams, with a very similar design, should sound so different to me, unless it is because I've heard them with Linn and Lejonklou amplification...
I own the Harbeth M30.1 monitor

You really can’t compare speakers unless you are able to audition them with exact same hardware used and same room. If that’s not the case then you compare apples with pears.
No offence, but stating x or y is more musical while the circumstances were very different is exactly what brings people on the wrong track.
KÄLLA > Sagatun Mono 1.7 > Tundra Mono 3.0 > Graham LS8/1F
Cables: Trivium Audio Cables
David Neel
Very active member
Very active member

Post by David Neel »

Sopper wrote:
David Neel wrote: Mind you, I've not heard them with Linn or Lejonklou amplification.

I own the Harbeth M30.1 monitor

You really can’t compare speakers unless you are able to audition them with exact same hardware used and same room. If that’s not the case then you compare apples with pears.
No offence, but stating x or y is more musical while the circumstances were very different is exactly what brings people on the wrong track.
That's fair comment indeed!

I have checked the 30.1, and it seems to be Harbeth's interpretation of the BBC LS5/9 design. So it should be very similar to the Graham LS5/9 I spent this afternoon with. And I will probably be ordering the Graham as soon as I get some clarity on available veneers, and have heard another couple of speakers, hopefully just to eliminate them as they are much more expensive!