Conversations about Lejonklou Products and this Forum

Moderator: Staff

mrco99
Very active member
Very active member

Gaio vs Slipsik

Post by mrco99 »

Herewith a (Dutch) user review of comparing Gaio vs Slipsik

the end result may come as a surprise to some, but gets further explained by the listeners preference...

http://www.htforum.nl/yabbse/index.php?topic=165552.0
Distributor of Lejonklou | Aqua | Graham Audio | Klangedang | NOKTable | Ophidian | The Wand
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Gaio vs Slipsik

Post by Charlie1 »

mrco99
Very active member
Very active member

Post by mrco99 »

Google Translate makes some funny and not always accurate translations so a better one will be following soon
Distributor of Lejonklou | Aqua | Graham Audio | Klangedang | NOKTable | Ophidian | The Wand
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

It is an amusing translation, though. I don't know that I've ever heard flapping in the percussion but I bet it sounds interesting.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
mrco99
Very active member
Very active member

Post by mrco99 »

Yes, and the reviewer falls in love with me instead of with his Gaio - or did I miss anything? :-)
mrco99
Very active member
Very active member

Post by mrco99 »

Translation here:

Review: A listen to Lejonklou Gaio vs Slipsik 6  

Compared equipment:  
Lejonklou Gaio phonostage (€590)  
Lejonklou Slipsik 6 phonostage (€1050)  

Other equipment:  
Linn LP12, Hercules, Trampoline 2, Akito (mk1), Adikt  
Flashback Premiere Interlink (RCA-RCA)  
Naim SuperUniti BT  
Naim NACA5 speaker cable  
Naim Ovator S-400 speakers  

Vinyl:  
Track 1: Joe Cocker - Look What You've Done (Sheffield Steel)  
Track 2: Simply Red - Sad Old Red (Picture Book)  
Track 3: Sting - If You Love Somebody Set Them Free (The Dream of the Blue Turtles)  
Track 4: Supertramp - No Inbetween (Brother Where You Bound)  
Track 5: Talk Talk - Have You Heard The News (The Party's Over)  
Track 6: Toto - A Thousand Years (The Seventh One)  

About a year ago, I read in various forums about Fredrik Lejonklou's excellent phonostages, especially in combination with a Linn Adikt cardridge. After a very nice initial contact with Marco Oudheusden of Hexagon Audio, who is Lejonklou’s distributor in The Netherlands and Germany, I got the cheapest model on trial: the Gaio. I loved it and was sold right away.  Meanwhile I have been enjoying it in my system for many hours.  Recently, Marco offered me the Slipsik 6 on trial, Lejonklou's top model phonostage, for an extended listen. I accepted this offer immediately without hesitation! 

So last Saturday night, I invited my (audio) friend Robin for an extensive comparing listening session of both phonostages. We listened each track as a whole and then switched to the other phono preamp to play it again. After 2 songs, we were under the impression that the Slipsik 6 played a little louder, and after checking the specifications, the Slipsik 6 appeared to have a 1dB higher gain. For a fair comparison it is important to keep the playback volume as equal as possible, so hence we have adjusted the volume of the SuperUniti amplifier every time (volume level 43 vs 45) as of track 3.  

Track 1: Joe Cocker - Look What You've Done (Sheffield Steel) 
With Joe Cocker we did not experience very big differences. The Slipsik 6 sounded a bit more "hifi". The difference is in the details, for example, we found the raw edge in Joe Cocker's voice better on the Slipsik and the instruments that are heard in the background (for example, the synthesizer) are a bit better to follow. On the other hand, the Gaio had a slightly better drive in the bass department. Especially because of the latter, both of us had a slight preference for the Gaio.(Gaio - Slipsik: 2-0)  

Track 2: Simply Red - Sad Old Red (Picture Book)  
The next album is more jazzy and a nice spatial recording: Simply Red. At the specific track, ’Sad Old Red’  the differences are more pronounced. The Slipsik 6 was a very clear winner for the both of us. The spacial image is bigger and the voice is more forward, especially in the higher vocal registers. The percussion slam was more dynamic and there was a tad more pressure in the lower frequencies of the bass. We also detected more details in, for example, guitar and finger clics. (Gaio - Slipsik: 2-2)  

Track 3: Sting - If You Love Somebody Set Them Free (The Dream of the Blue Turtles) 
With Sting we were less unanimous about our observations. Throughout the track there is a tambourine playing; with the Gaio I found this to be smoother and more pleasant sounding, while Robin believes that should sound like it is being presented by the Slipsik 6: intensely and more pronounced. While Robin found the Gaio a bit more dynamic, I thought exactly that of the Slipsik. Sting's vocals had a good stable focus on the Slipsik, while being a little more vague with the Gaio. I am always very focused on bass and bass drums. This has to be good and therefore I prefer a somewhat drier sound at the low end . For me, the clearest plus of Gaio were the bass lines, I found them better to follow and overall everything sounded more beautifully balanced. Robin thought the Slipsik involved the listener more into the music and therefore is for him the winner on this song (Gaio - Slipsik: 3-3)  

Track 4: Supertramp - No Inbetween (Brother Where You Bound) 
Supertramp's Brother Where You Bound album is a dynamic jewel in both recording and mastering! One of the best sounding albums in my collection. And most importantly: amazing music! With this song, Slipsik 6 shows off all of its qualities: more detail (for example the twinkling of the bell at the beginning of the song), a more natural sound of the instruments (the piano with a longer and more stable decay of the keyboard attacks, and the reproduction of the timbre of the saxophone caused by the reed vibration). More attack (drumsticks on the side of the snare / drum) and on the whole a more realistic performance (for example, the impact of drumsticks on the cymbals). The only area we found the Gaio to excel in was the experienced dynamics, which I specifically witnessed. But our unanimous judgement was in favour of the Slipsik 6 (Gaio - Slipsik: 3-5)  

Track 5: Talk Talk - Have You Heard The News (The Party's Over) 
Then it was the turn of the groundbreaking and quirky typical 80's synth pop that Talk Talk created at the beginning of their career: an exciting combination of electronic and acoustic instruments and sensitive, often melancholic vocals by Mark Hollis. The mix of this music is typically 80s and here the Gaio is at its best. Robin's first impression was: "A clear winner, I find the Gaio better in all areas!". While playing this track through the Slipsik 6 for the first time, we were still focussed and listening without moving, but by the second listen through the Gaio we realized halfway through the number that we were constantly tapping our feet. That's a nice compliment to the Gaio! (Gaio - Slipsik: 5-5, exciting!)  

Track 6: Toto - A Thousand Years (The Seventh One)  
For the last track in this comparison we have chosen a solid rock song. With this music, dynamics are key in experiencing the song. We both think this is the best with Gaio. I felt especially struck by the beautiful, tight, and fullbodied bass.The Slipsik 6 is more righteous but also more delicate. It is therefore more a matter of both musical taste and preference for a particular sound. (Gaio - Slipsik: 7-5)  

In summary, we can say that there are significant differences between these two  Lejonklou phonostages.  
The Slipsik 6 is clearly a bit more balanced and more detailed in its presentation. 
We found it the most audiophile phono preamplifier of the two. 
Gaio's qualities are more in terms of dynamics and its low register playback; to our ears it involves us more into the music. 
Although Gaio wins for us in this comparision because of the characteristics mentioned, this is a personal preference, and is partly due to our musical taste (80s, rock, electro).  
Had we compared these phonostages with other music (like jazz, classical or singer-songwriter), the balance might have gone down to the side of Slipsik 6 ...  
JPM

Post by JPM »

Thanks Marco for the opportunity to compare the Gaio and Slipsik 6!
I also had a listen to the Boazu and Tundra Stereo in combination with the streamer/pre-amp of my Naim SuperUniti. The consistant sound signature of all components is very appealing to me.
Linnjim

Post by Linnjim »

Interesting read, thanks.
Has anyone compared the 7.1 to the Gaio 2.4 and found similar differences?
I am gearing up to buy a new slipsik but after reading this, I'm a little hesitant.
I listen mostly to rock, punk, folk and electronica so this review has left me a bit uncertain as to which way to go.
Cheers
Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tendaberry »

Linnjim wrote: 2020-06-14 10:03Has anyone compared the 7.1 to the Gaio 2.4 and found similar differences? I am gearing up to buy a new slipsik but after reading this, I'm a little hesitant.
I did a comparison back in February of the Gaio 2.4 and Slipsik 7.1 and wouldn't hesitate for a second in choosing the Slipsik, it's definitely worth the extra money.
Linnjim

Post by Linnjim »

Thanks for sharing your experience.
I'm not surprised, it seems like the 7.1 is the pinnacle of MM stages.
It will remain my end game I think.
Rushboy

Post by Rushboy »

Very interesting report.
I think for me, as a predominantly rock listener, the Gaio might be the better choice.
My cartridge : Audio Technica VM760 SLC
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

This might help...

Gaio 2.4 https://www.dropbox.com/s/6xggrb1mf8vr4 ... 4.mp4?dl=0
Slipsik 8.0 https://www.dropbox.com/s/286zcu3z6biml ... 5.mp4?dl=0

PS Ignore the sibilance - my phone exaggerates it somehow - it's hardly noticeable in the room
Matteo
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Matteo »

Very impressive the Slipsik 8 in this clip
Arjen
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Arjen »

Charlie1 wrote: 2022-10-30 14:55 This might help...

PS Ignore the sibilance - my phone exaggerates it somehow - it's hardly noticeable in the room
In these clips Slipsik 8 delivers definitely much more music indeed,
Lenco 76/S TJN, Dr. Fuss, Supernait2, CD5X, Slipsik7.1, Millon Phantom, Soundeck, AudioSensibility
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Not very subtle, is it?
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
tby

Post by tby »

Charlie1 wrote: 2022-10-30 14:55 This might help...

Any chance of posting those again? Looks like they're deleted. Really interested to hear the difference since I'm a currently aspiring to upgrade my Gaio 2.4 to Slipsik 8.0.