Lejonklou at RMAF 2017 (Rocky Mountain Audio Fest)

Conversations about Lejonklou Products and this Forum

Moderator: Staff

ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Lejonklou at RMAF 2017 (Rocky Mountain Audio Fest)

Post by ThomasOK »

Nokturne Audio and Lejonklou HiFi are happy to announce that we will be displaying the full line of Lejonklou HiFi products at the Rocky Mountain Audio Fest 2017. RMAF 2016 will be held at the Denver Tech Center Marriott Hotel in Denver Colorado Friday, October 6th through Sunday, October 8th.

As you know from the similar topic in 2016, Fredrik and I hosted a room at the RMAF last year and were quite well received. We received a fair bit of positive press and the recent Sagatun Mono/Tundra Mono review by Alan Sircom in HiFi+ was a direct result. This year Fredrik will again join me as his dynamic personality and obvious love for quality musical reproduction was welcomed by the attendees. I also feel we work very will together in a demonstration setting.

I am sorry to dampen people's enthusiasm but it is doubtful that we will be able to demonstrate a prototype the Lejonklou streamer at the show. Creating a working streamer is a difficult and time consuming task as the fact that companies like Linn, Simaudio Moon, Naim and Bluesound took several years to get working streamers to market, much less get them working smoothly and easily, and numerous others still don't have the hang of it. To accomplish the creation of a new streamer from scratch and to do so with the determination that it will outperform all others is indeed a herculean task. So unless there is some breakthrough I understand it is unlikely we will be able to show a working model there.

With last year's show we set a high level of expectation considering the fact we were awarded Best Sound of the Show by one publication and received very positive press from others. Beyond what was seen in the press we also received a high volume of positive comments from visitors to the room about both the extremely musical sound and the quality of the musical selection on offer. We even sold a Boazu and a pair of JBLs to one visitor right at the show!

In order to kick it up a level we have two secret weapons that should assure an even more engaging musical experience than we delivered last year. First, the Sagatun Monos and Tundra Monos have, of course, been upgraded to Tarandus level. As anybody who has experienced these upgrades knows they take the musicality to a significantly higher level creating more excitement in everything you play through them. Second, this year I am determined to take the JBL 4645C subwoofer! Despite its rather imposing size and weight I believe I can fit it in the minivan I will be driving to Denver. This addition, along with the Tarandused? Monos will allow a more powerful, dynamic and beautifully musical perfromance than what we were able to achieve last year.

So the system will feature my fully loaded, Movingui plinth LP12SE/Kandid and newly with a Klimax Radikal, Sagatun Mono 1.3s and 3-Tundra Mono 2.2As driving JBL 3677 speakers and the JBL 4645C subwoofer through a Marchand custom XM44 crossover. They will be sited on a NOKTable and three Harmoni racks with OFIL stands under all three speakers. On static display, but able to be connected up, will be an LP12 with Kore, Ekos 2 and Adikt, Slipsik 6 and Gaio and the rest of the Lejonklou electronics.

We expect to have a lot of fun and make even more enjoyable music. It will be the first time in the US that the Linn/Lejonklou system with three Tundra Monos and the JBL 3677/4645C combo has been available for public audition. It is my hope that people will find the system pretty awe-inspiring. Also, as we did last time, it is likely that we will only be spinning vinyl at the show. I will have an even better selected and eclectic mix of albums to play for attendees that will be low on "audiophile" warhorses and high on musical enjoyment.

Anyone who can drop by is welcome to visit the room, meet Fredrik and hear some great tunes on a superlatively musical system. Our room number, as last year, will be 1008. It worked well for us last year and Fredrik and I already know how to make a good sound in it so why change? I hope to see you there!
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Lejonklou at RMAF 2017 (Rocky Mountain Audio Fest)

Post by ThomasOK »

I thought it only fitting to give you all the news first. This year at RMAF Fredrik and I will be showing a prototype of the forthcoming Slipsik MC phono stage! Yes, a phono stage for low output MC cartridges. This is not a finished product - only a first prototype. Although it is still in the early stages, Fredrik has been making real progress and it already sounds quite musical. Additional tuning will invariably precede creation of the final product. So this is not a product that is likely to come to market this year but we can hope for the first half of next year. It will be fun to show people how good the early version already sounds. The Slipsik MC will be displayed fed by a Radikal LP12 that will be close to fully loaded.

As you know from Fredrik's update, we unfortunately will not have a streamer, prototype or otherwise, to display this year. As pretty much everyone who has made one has found, creating a network streaming device is a gargantuan undertaking. The development time is measured in years rather than weeks or months. There is just so much work involved in creating a truly musical product that combines digital and analog processing, with computer technology at least as important as analog circuitry to the final sound. As he mentioned Fredrik has put to bed prototype #10 as neither it, nor any of the previous 9 units met the design goals (which are quite lofty). I have no doubt that Fredrik will eventually crack this nut so maybe we'll be able to show it next year.

I also hope to have the upgraded Boazu 1.1 for anyone who wants to listen to it as the upgrade parts are on the way.
The LP12 Whisperer
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

ThomasOK wrote:I thought it only fitting to give you all the news first. This year at RMAF Fredrik and I will be showing a prototype of the forthcoming Slipsik MC phono stage! Yes, a phono stage for low output MC cartridges. This is not a finished product - only a first prototype. Although it is still in the early stages, Fredrik has been making real progress and it already sounds quite musical. Additional tuning will invariably precede creation of the final product. So this is not a product that is likely to come to market this year but we can hope for the first half of next year. It will be fun to show people how good the early version already sounds. The Slipsik MC will be displayed fed by a Radikal LP12 that will be close to fully loaded.
Thomas and Fredrik,
two questions:

1.) Will the Slipsik MC be powered by the Radikal like Urika or does it have its own PS?
2.) Would it be possible to get a version with 56dB gain for EMT cartridges?
Thanks

Matt
Matt

MBP / Exposure pre + power (both modified) / JBL3677
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

The Slipsik MC is planned to be self-powered in a compact case like the Gaio and Slipsik 6. It is still in the early stages so obviously things could change. The gain and loading settings would be fixed like the Linto. Fredrik would have to weigh in on the possibility of a different version for something like the EMT but I suspect that gain and loading might have to be tailored to a different cartridge like that.
The LP12 Whisperer
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Why not the Tundra / Sagatun case? I think that would be better.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

I have never heard an EMT cartridge. I probably should, as they are such classics.

The Slipsik MC proto is optimised for low level MC's. As I believe the EMT's are around 1 mV, they will probably need a different design in order not to overload the input stage.

As Thomas wrote, this design isn't final yet, so we'll see.
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

lejonklou wrote:I have never heard an EMT cartridge. I probably should, as they are such classics.
The Slipsik MC proto is optimised for low level MC's. As I believe the EMT's are around 1 mV, they will probably need a different design in order not to overload the input stage.
As Thomas wrote, this design isn't final yet, so we'll see.
Yes, EMTs are around 1 mV and as I wrote, they need a gain around 56dB.
What about different gain settings for Slipsik MC?

Matt
Last edited by matthias on 2017-10-01 15:19, edited 3 times in total.
Matt

u252agz
Very active member
Very active member

Post by u252agz »

Charlie1 wrote:Why not the Tundra / Sagatun case? I think that would be better.
Only if it sounds better in my opinion. I have serious space issues in my cabinet - no space even for a Radikal at the moment.

Last thing I need is another full size case- unless it sounds better.
Kalla/Sag M/Tun M3/242/LP12/Slip7

Kalla/Giella Pi/JBL308/RS2e

Majik LP12/Boazu/110s
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

u252agz wrote:
Only if it sounds better in my opinion.
Yeah, fair enough.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Charlie1 wrote:
u252agz wrote:
Only if it sounds better in my opinion.
Yeah, fair enough.
The small and the big cases are two separate series. The small ones have some advantages (integral power cord, compact size and less expensive to manufacture, stock, handle and ship). The big ones have other advantages (more space inside and on the rear for connectors, more cooling, less sensitive to positioning).

An MC stage could fit into both size cases, depending on how it's designed. Different potentials, restrictions and prices. Worth contemplating!
HIDDENSYSTEMS

Post by HIDDENSYSTEMS »

Have MM and MC in Tundra case with no switching like Boazu? Loving Boazu 1.1 btw, a considerable upgrade over great original
http://www.hiddensystems.co.uk
Lejonklou | Linn | Naim | Devialet | Rega | Totem | |Kudos
maffe
Very active member
Very active member

Post by maffe »

u252agz wrote:
Only if it sounds better in my opinion. I have serious space issues in my cabinet - no space even for a Radikal at the moment.

Last thing I need is another full size case- unless it sounds better.

Same thing here!
Still dreaming of a Slipsik integrated in my LP12, taking power from the Radikal would be nice. Only way for my the next comping years to upgrade my MM-stage. MC just cost to much to maintain.
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

HIDDENSYSTEMS wrote:Have MM and MC in Tundra case with no switching like Boazu? Loving Boazu 1.1 btw, a considerable upgrade over great original
Certainly nice from a retailer POV for comparing MM and MC cartridges.
But the consumer has either MM or MC, so from a consumer POV too expensive.
Much better in my view:
MC only in a small case, but with different gain settings for different MCs.

Matt
Matt

lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

HIDDENSYSTEMS wrote:Have MM and MC in Tundra case with no switching like Boazu? Loving Boazu 1.1 btw, a considerable upgrade over great original
Thank you Chris!

What did you mean by no switching? Does anyone have two turntables, one MM and one MC? Apart from maybe in a shop, as Matthias suggested.
Linnofil
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Linnofil »

Good luck on RMAF 2017, Fredrik and Thomas! I'm sure you will have the "best in show" system this year to. I know I'm literally at the very bottom of this system, but I'm proud to be a small part of it. I'm really greatful that you bring my procucts there and let them be part of such a great system. It will be fantastic, I just now it. Have a safe trip!
sunbeamgls
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sunbeamgls »

lejonklou wrote:
Thank you Chris!

What did you mean by no switching? Does anyone have two turntables, one MM and one MC? Apart from maybe in a shop, as Matthias suggested.
Cyrus seem to think people have multiple turntables and wish to not only switch between them but also adjust the loading parameters from the listening seat.
KSH/0; KEBox/2; 3x Tundra Stereo 2.5; PMC fact.12. Blogger. Exakt Design. SO measuring.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Linnofil wrote:Good luck on RMAF 2017, Fredrik and Thomas! I'm sure you will have the "best in show" system this year to. I know I'm literally at the very bottom of this system, but I'm proud to be a small part of it. I'm really greatful that you bring my procucts there and let them be part of such a great system. It will be fantastic, I just now it. Have a safe trip!
Thank you Linnofil!

Your parts are not "at the bottom", they are the foundations! :)
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

Agree on that!

PS
I like to know more about the bass X-over.
It's all about musical understanding!
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Thomas and I just finished the rigging. I think!

The system sounds a m a z i n g. One of the best I have heard in my life. I was worried this morning, such a complex system and just one day to set it up.

Tried switching off the JBL 4645C sub - the main speakers shrank in perceived size and became a bit shouty and annoying (as I sometimes feel they are at home). And the music lost groove, it simply became worse in all aspects. It's very rare that I feel that when disconnecting sub.

I wish this was my system!!

LP12 - Radikal - Keel - Ekos SE/1 - Kandid
Slipsik MC prototype
Sagatun Mono 1.3 (pair)
Tundra Mono 2.2 (pair)
JBL 3677 on Ofil stands and Skeets
Marchand XM-44 sub filter
Tundra Mono 2.2
JBL 4645C subwoofer on Ofil stand and Skeets
Harmonihyllan Tor+Mimer / Noktable
Old Linn Silvers and 2.48 m black K200
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

Yeah. The sub is a must have, once you experience it.
It's all about musical understanding!
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

Great video from the room. Easy to hear the improvement compared to last year. Thomas looks a bit too comfortable though! :-)
Have a great show and the best of luck.
Playing cd’s…………
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Sounds great and like Beck said, you can hear the progression from last year. Good Luck!
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Thank you!

I thought so too when listening to both clips in my phone, but once they were transferred to Instagram (and from there to Facebook), the sound got quite muffled. Glad to hear it still communicates something.

I agree Thomas seemed a bit more smug than I'm used to. If we hadn't both agreed it sound fantastic, I would be worried. :oD
maffe
Very active member
Very active member

Post by maffe »

Just stunning!
Hope you get a great weekend and can keep playing excellent music :)
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Thomas was in the midst of trying to get an email out to the audio press about the room so was a bit preoccupied when Fredrik asked the question. On the other hand the system is actually sounding better than it was in my home, quite a feat for a Hi-Fi show. I chalk it up to Fredrik's expert setup of the sub and getting a chance to torque and tune the Marchand crossover for the first time. Also, the Slipsik MC is an amazing sounding piece, definitely doing some, but not all, things better than the Urika. Very lively and fun. Quite a feat for such an early prototype. I hungrily await the finished product.
The LP12 Whisperer