Lejonklou at RMAF 2017 (Rocky Mountain Audio Fest)

Conversations about Lejonklou Products and this Forum

Moderator: Staff

cortina

Re: Lejonklou at RMAF 2017 (Rocky Mountain Audio Fest)

Post by cortina »

Did you bring a Boazu? If so (or if you have tried at home): how is it handling the 3677s?
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

cortina wrote:Did you bring a Boazu? If so (or if you have tried at home): how is it handling the 3677s?
Yes, we brought a Boazu in the new 1.1 version, but so far we've just been playing Sagatun Mono and Tundra Mono.

The Boazu goes very well together with the 3677s. Sounds very 'Live' and you can play LOUD.
Ozzzy189
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Ozzzy189 »

http://hifipig.com/whos-at-rocky-mounta ... fest-2017/
Guys.... Are they telling porkies at hi-fi pig? You're not important enough to mention it seems. I hope someone from that site gets to your room.
ADS3/SagMono/Tundra 2.2- . Totem Tribe Tower.
Lejonklou demos available in the N of England.
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

I hope Rafe Arnott from Part-Time Audiophile will visit your room again.

Matt
Matt

MBP / Exposure pre + power (both modified) / JBL3677
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

He did!

And now RMAF 2017 is over. Very intense, long days and little sleep, lots of fun and I think we made a significantly better sound than last year. Tuning the sub to millimeter precision made a big difference, it really boogied when we hit the perfect spot. The 3677's couldn't be perfectly positioned due to the panels of the wall blocking the stands, but I think they came reasonably close to optimal judging from the music they made.

I've already started wondering what to do in 2018 to both top this in performance and raise even more eyebrows. We might have to do something completely different.

A big Thank You to everyone who visited!

On facebook I made a few posts during the show, simply because it's so easily done and we had no spare time to edit, store and publish anywhere else.

Ozzzy189
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Ozzzy189 »

Congratulations on your successful showing guys.
I see Steven Wilson looking very blue there, isn't his new song absolutely fantastic?
ADS3/SagMono/Tundra 2.2- . Totem Tribe Tower.
Lejonklou demos available in the N of England.
sunbeamgls
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sunbeamgls »

Good to read you had another successful event.

A couple of questions on the system please. Is it deliberate to leave an unused shelf on the bottom of each rack, and what are the white blocks on those shelves? What is the box with lots of knobs over by the right hand speaker?

Thanks
KSH/0; KEBox/2; 3x Tundra Stereo 2.5; PMC fact.12. Blogger. Exakt Design. SO measuring.
DelNaja

Post by DelNaja »

sunbeamgls wrote:Good to read you had another successful event.

A couple of questions on the system please. Is it deliberate to leave an unused shelf on the bottom of each rack, and what are the white blocks on those shelves? What is the box with lots of knobs over by the right hand speaker?

Thanks
Yes, the bottom shelf is intentionally left unused. The white fluffy thing is supposed to make things better, although I'm unsure of the specific reasoning behind it.

The box with the knobs is most likely the filter for the sub. The box beneath must be the lone Tundra Mono powering the sub.
matss

Post by matss »

Herb Reichert of Stereophile not so impressed, at least by the Linn/JBL noises.

https://www.stereophile.com/content/her ... enver-show.
KLP12, KDSM/2, 3xKCT, homebrewn active speakers, Sneaky DS, OD11, Axis, Linto, Classik, Klout, OA12
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Herb was a real gentleman. I can understand that he felt a bit estranged among us freaks who were really digging what the system did.

I agree with most of the notes he made when listening:
Dry - yes, very tight and very dry.
Big - oh, yes! On live albums it sounded as if the stage was right in front of you.
Hard - only when the music was hard. Cream sure was.

I'm happy that he gave us a mention!
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

lejonklou wrote:He did!
Was Rafe impressed as last year?

Matt
Matt

tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

Every time I see this, I think it's a video on pause thanks to those 'bedside' lights...
lejonklou wrote:Image
I wish I could have attended, if only to 'press play on the vid' & hear what made Herb's head explode. I hope the fest was a good one for Lejonklou & Nokturne.
mrco99
Very active member
Very active member

Post by mrco99 »

lejonklou wrote:Herb was a real gentleman. I can understand that he felt a bit estranged among us freaks who were really digging what the system did.

Big - oh, yes! On live albums it sounded as if the stage was right in front of you.

Herb is fair enough to admit that he stumbles upon his own prejudices in finding the LP12-Lejonklou-JBL3677 pairing an off-the-shelve combination.

Real kudos to Thomas and Fredrik for colouring outside the lines and taking their audience out of their comfort zones! Most of them seemed to have more than a good time.
Distributor of Lejonklou | Aqua | Graham Audio | Klangedang | NOKTable | Ophidian | The Wand
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

matthias wrote:Was Rafe impressed as last year?
I don't know. He stayed and listened for a good while, but kept his opinions to himself. It'll be interesting to see what he writes. Super friendly guy with a relaxed and intense prescence.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

lejonklou wrote:
matthias wrote:Was Rafe impressed as last year?
I don't know. He stayed and listened for a good while, but kept his opinions to himself. It'll be interesting to see what he writes. Super friendly guy with a relaxed and intense prescence.
We both enjoyed actually meeting and talking to Rafe. He seems to be a really good person and is obviously a good writer with a grasp of what is important musically. He seemed to like the room from a couple of off-hand comments but I don't like speaking for others. I look forward to seeing what he writes but he wa the last one to weigh in on the room last year.

One interesting thing that ties in with an earlier question is that I did the demo for him of the pad off and then on the bottom shelf of one rack. His comment was "That's crazy!" The difference is quite audible in the improvement the pad makes and indeed the greater improvement the right size pad makes (which I also demonstrated). The bottom shelf in this setup is indeed designed to not have a component on it. It is basically a Tor turned upside down with the thick shelf on the bottom and the thin shelf on the top. It appears that the thin shelf acts to absorb some energy and keep it from the rest of the rack - it definitely makes the entire rack more musical. The pad, which is dacron polyester, adds some needed damping that further improves things as I demonstrated. I'm not 100% sure I have the exact right size yet as that is one of the several audio experiments I just haven't had time to do this Summer or Fall with all that has been going on around my household and getting ready for RMAF. But I know I'm close as a very slightly smaller piece I also demonstrated was definitely not as good as the piece we were using.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

lejonklou wrote:Herb was a real gentleman. I can understand that he felt a bit estranged among us freaks who were really digging what the system did.

I quite enjoyed meeting Herb and he is a quite interesting character. I can understand his comments and he is certainly not the first or only one who likes the warmer and more romantic presentation of the older style LP12s he is used to. I think many of us who have upgraded regularly as the various upgrades have come out are less aware of how big a change it is to go from a Valhalla/Ittok/? LP12 to a fully-loaded Klimax LP12 that we were using. I can see how it might be a bit disconcerting until you become acclimated to it.

Also I think JBL 3677 users realize that this isn't a very Hi-Fi speaker and will not appeal to either those looking for romanticism (think older Sonus faber and Vienna Acoustics) nor the super-detailed sound of many expensive, high-end offerings that I personally find fatiguing. But it must also be said that, despite how good a sound Fredrik and I felt we made in the room and that other listeners commented on, you are forced by the room layout to sit closer to the speakers than I would prefer and closer than I do in my house. The chairs are also a little higher, being typical US stackable conference type chairs, than my normal Ekornes listening seat. I think both these things can make the sound a little more in your face than some people are comfortable with. There is no single cup of tea that suits everyone in this hobby or industry. But Herb was very friendly and fair in noting that others in the room were really enjoying things.

One of the encounters I really liked at the show was the young man and his parents who came in, listened for a while, and then asked "How is it you are making a sound that is so much more musical than those $500,000 rooms, with such more reasonably priced components? Especially with such relatively cheap speakers?" This lead to an explanation of the hierarchy which he had never heard of before but which made perfect sense to him. They came back the next day and asked if they could just listen to a couple more songs which we were glad to oblige. They left again shaking their heads at the music we were able to provide for the money involved - as they mentioned less than the price of a single component in several of the less enjoyable rooms.
The LP12 Whisperer
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Here are a couple of clips from the show:

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipP ... BVVFZ3UEdn

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipP ... BVVFZ3UEdn

By the way I'm still figuring out Google photos (since dropbox has become a PITA) and it appears that you can just hit the back arrow in the black border surrounding the clips and see some other photos from RMAF I put in the same shared album.
The LP12 Whisperer
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

A few photos from RMAF. Fredrik, the system setup and the Beast!

The LP12 Whisperer
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

Great pictures and great video clips.

Music is what it is all about and that is easy to hear through the clips. I personally prefer the Urika clip but the Slipsik in its present form is definately doing good things.

Keep on the good work.
Playing cd’s…………
COMSTEDT

Post by COMSTEDT »

Is it ok to ask what kind of filter you are using for the JBL subwoofer?

Is it difficult to adjust?
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

COMSTEDT wrote:Is it ok to ask what kind of filter you are using for the JBL subwoofer?

Is it difficult to adjust?
It's being discussed here:
http://www.lejonklou.com/forum/viewtopi ... 658#p31658
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

From Positive-Feedback:

https://positive-feedback.com/show-repo ... ay-part-2/

Scroll down.

Matt
Matt

matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

Matt

ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Yes, another very nice writeup. It is very gratifying when you find a reviewer who is all about the music and gets what you are doing.
The LP12 Whisperer
sunbeamgls
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sunbeamgls »

ThomasOK wrote:Yes, another very nice writeup. It is very gratifying when you find a reviewer who is all about the music and gets what you are doing.
I'm not really concious of reading Herb's and Rafe's work in the past (although I probably have done so). I wonder, has one ever referred to Tune Dem / Method type analysis whereas the other has not? Or do they use their own terms / techniques?

The reason I ask is that I've read so many amazing words written in the press about the Magico speakers, particularly the S3. When I finally had the chance to hear them at Munich this year, they just sounded so much like extremely detailed hifi, but not like music - so just trying to understand which reviewers are reviewing what - technical ability or musical ability, and how to spot that they are on the musical side as so few would use terms like Tune Dem / Method.
KSH/0; KEBox/2; 3x Tundra Stereo 2.5; PMC fact.12. Blogger. Exakt Design. SO measuring.