Sagatun / Tundra review in Hi-Fi+

Conversations about Lejonklou Products and this Forum

Moderator: Staff

jwn

Sagatun / Tundra review in Hi-Fi+

Post by jwn »

In the latest Hi-Fi+ (July 2017) there is a nice review of the Sagatun and Tundra Mono's. A lot about the design and that it is all about enjoying the music. I'm sure that we all agree about the latter, others (Fredrik?) should judge how accurate the description of the former is.
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Sagatun / Tundra review in Hi-Fi+

Post by Spannko »

What was their conclusion ?
jwn

Post by jwn »

The review ends with:

"There is a tendency for some amplifiers to follow Beecham's quip - 'The English may not like music, but they absolutely love the sound it makes' - in that they make music sound beautiful, but completely free from what makes people passionate about music itself. The Lejonklou Four invert this: they get to the core of what makes people enjoy music. Recommended!"

So you can say that they get what it is about and liked what they heart.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

I am om vacation and haven't found a copy yet.

Thank you for reminding me! I need to get to a well sorted newsstand ASAP.
macrotech2
Very active member
Very active member

Post by macrotech2 »

Yes the reviewer (Alan Sircom) explains the core of what they do well, and it is a positive review.

He doesn't get the purpose of the direct input though, saying it shouldn't be connected if you have more than one input.
Källa/Sagatun Mono Tarandus/Tundra Mono 3/Avalon Idea Mk2
Linncredible

Post by Linncredible »

If you have an iPad, the issue is available through Hi-Fi+'s own app. Congratulations Fredrik to this very positive review and all your fantastic work with the Sagatuns and the Tundras! :)
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

jwn wrote: So you can say that they get what it is about and liked what they heart.
I think this may be the most appropriate typo I have ever read!

It is probably a little too early for it to be on the newsstands here but I'll definitely be on the lookout for it. It's always great when a reviewer gets it, and we knew Alan did when he came to the room at RMAF 2016. So good to see Fredrik getting his due for the outstanding design work he has done.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
Linncredible

Post by Linncredible »

"... the precision the Lejonklou Quartet brings to music is extraordinarily persuasive."

"To my mind, the Lejonklou Sagatun and Tundra mono amps are how amplifiers are supposed to sound."
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

Linncredible wrote:"... the precision the Lejonklou Quartet brings to music is extraordinarily persuasive."

"To my mind, the Lejonklou Sagatun and Tundra mono amps are how amplifiers are supposed to sound."
If I had made the amplifier the above would have made me proud! :-)
Playing cd’s…………
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

It seems we Americans are not allowed to download the issue yet. At least it doesn't yet show up on the website from here as an option.
The LP12 Whisperer
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Thank you!

Found a store with HiFi+ today. Only June edition available. July arriving the 18th, the girl said. I'll be back!
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Got a copy. I'm reading it this evening.

Exciting!
Ozzzy189
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Ozzzy189 »

I've just read it. Congratulations Fredrik, you should be rightly proud of what you have accomplished. A nice review, and I was hoping for a couple more paragraphs about how some of the reviewer's favourite albums might sound compared to what he might have been used to.
However he did say that you should now go ahead and listen to all your music collection again!
That's exactly what Lejonklou makes you want to do. And it's never a chore.
Well done again my friend.
ADS3/SagMono/Tundra 2.2- . Totem Tribe Tower.
Lejonklou demos available in the N of England.
sandgrown

Post by sandgrown »

I went out and bought a copy of July's Hi-Fi+, and would like to add my congratulations to Fredrik, as it is an excellent review from Alan Sircom.

BTW - if any of you have seen the advert for Merill's 'Christine' amplifier in the magazine, you may have noticed a competition to win one of their ANAP xlr cables. Well - I took a chance and entered and I found out yesterday that I won it! :-D
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Thank you Ozzzy and Sandgrown!

You can now all read the review here:
http://www.lejonklou.com/wp-content/upl ... Review.pdf

I just bought the rights to publish it.
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

lejonklou wrote: You can now all read the review here:
Congratulations Fredrik,

I think AS is one trusted reviewer. His review of Klimax Katalyst was very favourable as well.
It would have been nice though if he compared the direct input vs. the other ones.

Matt
Matt

MBP / Exposure pre + power (both modified) / JBL3677
macrotech2
Very active member
Very active member

Post by macrotech2 »

matthias wrote:
lejonklou wrote: You can now all read the review here:
Congratulations Fredrik,

I think AS is one trusted reviewer. His review of Klimax Katalyst was very favourable as well.
It would have been nice though if he compared the direct input vs. the other ones.

Matt
Yes, it's a shame. He didn't get the direct input idea, because he said you only connected it when you had a single source. Apart from that though it's an excellent review, and he clearly understood what Fredrik is aiming for, and what us owners love.
Last edited by macrotech2 on 2017-07-16 13:03, edited 1 time in total.
Källa/Sagatun Mono Tarandus/Tundra Mono 3/Avalon Idea Mk2
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

Tundra Monos should be switched off if they will be unused for a while? I usually leave mine on, along with the Sagatuns.
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

Always on and playing!
24/7, what else if you have a great setup?

At vol0 nightime with the DS playing, app vol 60 when family are in the house, but pedal to the metal when I'm alone.

Going to read the review tonight - infront the 5*monos :)
It's all about musical understanding!
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

Great review, well deserved Fredrik !
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

Agreed that it was a very positive review. (to match our own positive reviews :) Congratulations, Fredrik.

ML, your earlier post and reply to my question about switching off Tundra power amps when not in use for a while (if such a circumstance occurs ;) leads to a follow-up: I usually leave the DS in standby, with Tundras and Sagatuns on; Sagatun volume somewhere between 40 & 60, so that I just need to enable music on the DS from a control point rather than find the remote... Is there a reason to have the DS playing, but the system at vol 0?

Fredrik, is there a recommendation for what to do or, more importantly, what *not* to do with regards 'standby' of your pre & power amps?
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

Reason - sound better from the get-go
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Got a chance to read it last night and I feel it is a quite wonderful review. Yeah, he didn't quite get the usage of the Direct Input, but what he wrote does follow what it says in the manual. I liked that he mentioned the possible negatives of the set for some people but then stated that they were unimportant, the musical quality completely outweighed them. Some very quotable lines and, once again, I learned something I didn't know about the products - namely the working of the + and - switch-mode power supplies. Congratulations again Fredrik!

In my system I leave the electronics switched on all the time. I leave the input switched to the KRDS input with a playlist running continuously and volume set to 0. With the JBLs you can just barely hear the music coming out even at 0. It seems to me that this way the amps are warmed up when I am ready to listen as they always have music running through them. Then I just select the desired input and crank it up when I want to listen.
The LP12 Whisperer
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Thank you all for your congratulations!

I'm currently hiding in our old cottage, focusing on a coal barbecue of potatoes and salmon. Earlier today I managed to get one hundred freshly painted enclosures on a truck heading for Estonia, where they will soon start assembling a new batch of Tundra and Tundra Mono's. So at the moment, everything is, for once, in control.
tokenbrit wrote:Fredrik, is there a recommendation for what to do or, more importantly, what *not* to do with regards 'standby' of your pre & power amps?
Personally, I leave my units switched on all the time. But now, as I went to the cottage and intend to stay a couple of days, they're all off.

The preamps draw very little power and take 30-60 minutes to sound at their best. But I think the difference is rather small between cold and warm.

The power amps draw more power and take about an hour until they're fully heated. Exactly how long it takes can be seen on the supplied meter, through the status port. The difference is IMHO quite big between cold and warm.

I agree with ML that it takes about an hour of playing music until the Linn DS players perform at their best, even if they're "perma powered". Something similar is also true for the LP12. Perhaps also for my amps, it's difficult to determine in detail which unit does what in that "final climb to peak performance".
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Great to see your products in a newsagent magazine Fredrik! Congratulations!

I was struck by how much he got right and how candid it was reference interconnects etc. There were many details in the review that I'm used to reading here but have never seen in a high street magazine before.