New Lejonklou Preamplifier

Conversations about Lejonklou Products and this Forum

Moderator: Staff

dastrix

Post by dastrix »

Linnofil wrote:
lejonklou wrote:There has now been an addition to the Kikkin remote control command set: The user can set the Kikkin to also respond to the TV remote commands +VOL, -VOL and Mute (RC5 standard).
Here's an example: http://www.netonnet.se/index.asp?iid=104045
So my misstake on the Swedish forum in thinking that the above remote could control the Kikkin (when it couldn't) actually lead to the fact that it now can be controlled by it? Interesting, and a great addition to the Kikkin! I hope that this new SW option and the optical filter hasn't slowed you down in bringing the Kikkin to the market.

dastrix, you don't need to listen. Just order it! :mrgreen: It really is a "No Brainer" for anyone not needing more than one input. You could soon have the best reasonably priced preamp in Australia!
*laughs* that's a big claim. I thought someone would be crazy not to listen before you buy - but if lejonklou will provide a money back refund if I'm not happy that sounds good to me!

I'm close to buying an Akurate DS, so I'll need a preamp of some kind!
Linnofil
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Linnofil »

dastrix wrote:I'm close to buying an Akurate DS, so I'll need a preamp of some kind!
Yes, go for it! I did see your post on the Linn Forum. It is an easy operation to change color, so don't let that hold you back. Since I've heard the Kikkin (and the ADS) I know it will sound absolutely stunning! 8)

In fact, I wish I could use a Kikkin in my system. Sadly, I have three sources, and Knekt. Even with the Intersekt R8S8 handling source switching I need a balanced input for receiving Knekt signals. :(
dastrix

Post by dastrix »

Linnofil wrote:
dastrix wrote:I'm close to buying an Akurate DS, so I'll need a preamp of some kind!
Yes, go for it! I did see your post on the Linn Forum. It is an easy operation to change color, so don't let that hold you back. Since I've heard the Kikkin (and the ADS) I know it will sound absolutely stunning! 8)

In fact, I wish I could use a Kikkin in my system. Sadly, I have three sources, and Knekt. Even with the Intersekt R8S8 handling source switching I need a balanced input for receiving Knekt signals. :(
The setup would be a Akurate DS, Akurate C2200, Kekkin and JM Lab Electra 1007 BE speakers. I remember listening to my speakers with a Majik I Integrated amplifier and the Akurate DS and I was blown away! I'd say the Akurate 2200 and the Kekki should be a step up until I can afford an Klimax Kontrol.

Now I hope the ebay seller will post the Akurate DS to Australia!
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Linnofil wrote:So my misstake on the Swedish forum in thinking that the above remote could control the Kikkin (when it couldn't) actually lead to the fact that it now can be controlled by it?
Yes, your link to that nice little remote helped pushing me. Thanks!
I hope that this new SW option and the optical filter hasn't slowed you down in bringing the Kikkin to the market.
No, it's the enclosures that I'm still waiting for. Hope to get the first sample any day now.

The delay of the enclosures has given me a bit more time to perfect some details. So instead of being dissatisfied with the time schedule I have decided to regard it as an opportunity.
Linntek

Post by Linntek »

lejonklou wrote:The delay of the enclosures has given me a bit more time to perfect some details. So instead of being dissatisfied with the time schedule I have decided to regard it as an opportunity.
And more work to do :D
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Thankfully I love to work! :D

I hope that you do too, since you've become my firmware guru. :mrgreen:
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

First pictures: Front of black Kikkin and back of silver Kikkin.

Printing is grey on both, although it appears white in the first picture.
Last edited by lejonklou on 2008-12-10 02:33, edited 1 time in total.
dastrix

Post by dastrix »

Looks great Fredrik! :) Nice and simple, any shots inside?
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Thanks!

No inside shots yet. But when the webpage is ready, there will most likely be some.
dastrix

Post by dastrix »

Sounds good! I just pulled the trigger on an Akurate DS here in Australia. Managed to find a store demo unit with 5 year warranty in Silver for 3000 euro
JW

Post by JW »

Excellent timing :D

I'm about to upgrade the back end of my system, and due to the low trade-in value of my active 2250s & Ninkas, I'm keeping them for my study :P :shock: 8)

I figure that adding a Squeezebox (already have a spare one) driving a half-decent external DAC (courtesy of eBay) hooked up to a Kikkin would be a wonderful way to complement the 2250s & Ninkas :mrgreen:

So, when/how can I order one?

JW
KDSM Organik, KCT, Sonus Faber Olympica Nova III
Azazello
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Azazello »

JW wrote:I figure that adding a Squeezebox (already have a spare one) driving a half-decent external DAC (courtesy of eBay) hooked up to a Kikkin would be a wonderful way to complement the 2250s & Ninkas :mrgreen:
That system deserves a much better source! Sell a 2250 and get a sneaky!
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Sounds great! You can order one right now. Just choose black or silver.

I ran into a slight problem with the enclosures. The printing was not good enough, so the guys who make the enclosures had to redo them all.

Now I have been promised they will arrive this week, which means that the first batch will be sent out just before Christmas. Quite a nervous ending of the year, I know that some wanted it as a Christmas present.

I hope they arrive and look perfect this time. Thanks to the delay I have been tuning some details a bit further, mainly the software and how the individual hardware fine tuning should be organised. Just completed a little box that generates a reference signal that will be used in that process.

I you want to read the manual and 'The Reason Behind', I will put them up on the website now, under Products - Kikkin. Don't have time to finish the rest of the page at the moment just yet. Thanks for your patience!
JW

Post by JW »

lejonklou wrote:Sounds great! You can order one right now. Just choose black or silver.
I'll have a black one, please.
Can you PM me the payment info when it's ready to ship? It'll be an international bank transfer, so an IBAN number will come in very handy.
I you want to read the manual and 'The Reason Behind', I will put them up on the website now, under Products - Kikkin.
I wish all manuals were so clear and to the point :D

JW
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

The first batch of Kikkins arrived today. Looking great!

I just finished tuning number 0001 (in silver) and it sounds perfect. It's now playing "Highway Junkie" (that should have been "HiFi Junkie") by Randy Travis as I start working on number 0002 (in black).

I will work through the orders one by one and start sending them out tomorrow.

JW: PM coming soon.
JW

Post by JW »

lejonklou wrote:JW: PM coming soon.
Great :)

UPS just delivered the DAC, and it makes a world of difference when listening to the Squeezebox. Even on a very generic Denon surround receiver with B&W DM601 speakers, connected through a €2 interlink :P

Should improve a bit with the 2250s, Ninkas, a Kikkin, and a Linn interlink :mrgreen:

JW
pär

Post by pär »

Thank you Lejonklou for Kikkin. I think this is the best piece of hi-fi i have ever bought. 10/10
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Thank You Pär!!

I am eagerly awaiting comments from others who have received it. I managed to send out the first seven Kikkins before the Christmas holidays started. Among those were two shops: Tonläget in Gothenburg has one and Musiikin.com in Helsinki should be getting theirs any day now.

When work starts again in January there will be things done on the website and a webshop will be opened as soon as possible. And more Kikkins will be tuned and delivered. Can't wait to start all this, when does this holiday end?? :D
JW

Post by JW »

Number 0006 has arrived safely :D

It'll be connected properly in a week or so, after I've received my new speakers & poweramp for the main system, and the "old stuff" has been moved upstairs.

Of course I couldn't resist giving it a quick trial. A bit difficult when you don't have the house to yourself, but I managed a short comparison yesterday. I didn't bother switching polarity on the speakers, and I didn't bother testing the socket to find the proper orientation for the power plug (Kudos to Fredrik for stating the proper orientation in the manual! :P ), and as I didn't want to disconnect lots of cables I used a regular black Linn to connect the CD12 to the Kikkin, and left the Linn silvers to connect Kikkin to the first 2250 & for daisy-chaining the 2250s. Not fair, and made even more unfair by powering up and starting to listen straight away :roll:

To make a long story short: you get amazing value for money with this little black (or silver) box :mrgreen:

Of course (and luckily) it's no match for my upgraded Kontrol, but even with the odds stacked against it, I'd say that it was easily as good as the Exotik+DA. A bit of a difficult statement, as I didn't directly compare the two, but it should give you an idea.
Both the Kontrol and the Kikkin have that intangible extra that makes listening enjoyable. In that respect the Kikkin is closer to the Kontrol than to the Exotik. The Kikkin definitely knows how to carry a tune, that's for sure 8)

The single-LED userinterface works well too.

Here's a picture of it, next to a comparatively huge Musical Fidelity X-DAC v3.

JW
ahaa

Post by ahaa »

(0)007 has become Norwegian!

Kikkin no 7 arrived last day of 2008 and I have been able to spend some wonderful hours with it. It plays relaxed and involving and brings forward details by the musicians that I have not noticed earlier from my SC pre. I have done a lot of singing the last couple of days (alone!)

Well done, Fredrik!

A
--------------------
LP12, Slipsik 4, Unidisk SC, 2 x 2250, Katan - and now Kikkin
Porcupine

Post by Porcupine »

To Ahaa, I'm currently in the same situation as you are; currently using a SC and in search for a better Preamp for my Majik DS. Problem is that I need to keep to use the SC as a DVD source and for decoding the signal of my PVR. For that reason I would like to know in what way you connected the Kikkin and SC towards your amps.

Secondly I would like the Forums opinion to the following idea; what do you folks think of connecting the Kikkin and SC both to my C4100, and use my harmony remote to swich between the two depending on the source?

Regards, Porcupine.
Majik DS, Inverto PVR> Unidisk SC> C4100/ LK85> Wilson Benesch Arc, Velodyne DD15, Unik
Broccoli

Post by Broccoli »

Porcupine wrote: Secondly I would like the Forums opinion to the following idea; what do you folks think of connecting the Kikkin and SC both to my C4100, and use my harmony remote to swich between the two depending on the source?
I'm not sure how you mean that you would connect.

However, isn't it better to connect Kikkin to one of the fixed level outputs of the SC (TV out?). That way you'll bypass the SC:s volume control and use it as a source selector only, and the Kikkin will control the volume.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

ahaa wrote:Kikkin no 7 arrived last day of 2008 and I have been able to spend some wonderful hours with it. It plays relaxed and involving and brings forward details by the musicians that I have not noticed earlier from my SC pre. I have done a lot of singing the last couple of days (alone!)
Nice looking system!
Porcupine

Post by Porcupine »

Broccoli wrote:
However, isn't it better to connect Kikkin to one of the fixed level outputs of the SC (TV out?). That way you'll bypass the SC:s volume control and use it as a source selector only, and the Kikkin will control the volume.
Thank you Broccoli, this is a much neater solution, and perfect for most of my wishes. It however leaves me with one question: What is the output signal of the "TV out" when I feed the SC with a digital signal ( as my PVR has a digital out)?
Majik DS, Inverto PVR> Unidisk SC> C4100/ LK85> Wilson Benesch Arc, Velodyne DD15, Unik
ahaa

Post by ahaa »

Porcupine wrote:
Problem is that I need to keep to use the SC as a DVD source and for decoding the signal of my PVR. For that reason I would like to know in what way you connected the Kikkin and SC towards your amps.
To Porcupine: So far I have just connected the Kikkin directly from Slipsik to the amps. That implies that I need to reconnect the SC for playing DVD. It is unfortunately a significant hassle with tight connectors and a crammed connection panel on the SC. In addition you need to invert the phase on the amps (or on the speakers). I have not tried the TV out from the SC yet. But that will only enable us to switch between phono and two-channel CD as far as I can understand (and probably with quality degradation). For DVD in 5.1 we will still need the SC preamp.
I have decided to buy the Kikkin to enjoy sessions with serious purist listening to my LP12 and accept the hassle with the connectors at both ends of the session. I think it is worth it! The alternative is an Akurate pre + an Unidisk 2.1 or 1.1. This is not within my reach at the moment.
Last edited by ahaa on 2009-01-10 15:33, edited 1 time in total.