Conversations about Lejonklou Products and this Forum

Moderator: Staff

u252agz
Very active member
Very active member

Simultaneous Tarundus Upgrades to Sagatun/Tundra

Post by u252agz »

Just received my Sagatun and Tundra Mono Tarandus upgrades - units settling in:

Big jump in Musicality and big jump in Sound.

This combination is quite something - I haven't stopped smiling since they arrived.

Difficult to describe in detail, and perhaps different from previous upgrades:

But even more engaging ( to me this is one of the the hallmarks of musicality) , more music, subtle details more exquisite, bass so much better in quality and quantity. Individual notes clearer.etc etc

Small but significant improvements in so many different facets - but the overall effect is a huge improvement.

Anyone in two minds about these upgrades ( I was for sometime, as the previous Monos were so good ) should rest assured and go for it.
Kalla/Sag M/Tun M3/242/LP12/Slip7

Kalla/Giella Pi/JBL308/RS2e

Majik LP12/Boazu/110s
macrotech2
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Simultaneous Tarundus Upgrades to Sagatun/Tundra

Post by macrotech2 »

I had both done together done a while ago now, and this exactly describes my feelings as well. You have been able to put into words what I was struggling to!
Källa/Sagatun Mono Tarandus/Tundra Mono 3/Avalon Idea Mk2
u252agz
Very active member
Very active member

Post by u252agz »

I am struggling as well to put everything in words.

Musicality improvement is easy - simply more musical - therefore much better.

The sound improvements are more difficult to quantify and describe.

Normally I like better sound , but do not care too much for it as musicality is the main thing for really meaningful enjoyment- in my experience.

But this upgrade ( even more than the Tudra Mono 2 upgrade - which was great) has improved sound to the extent where it really seems to make a difference.

It seems like the sound has been moved forcibly onto a natural sounding path and seems much more 'real' for want of a better word.

It's really quite addictive.

As I said small improvements in many facets but big impact overall .

Majik LP12/Boazu/110s
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

I think I know what you mean in the sense that these are sound improvements that serve the music. I recently had a person in the industry in the store who had heard the room at RMAF and was quite impressed with the music we were making. Unlike Rafe he didn't rate us as best sound of the show but said he thought we were the second best - still not bad. He happened to drop by when I had just brought in an upgraded T2.2 for testing and he brought a test pressing of a 45RPM jazz record coming out soon. So we listened to it in our large studio with the Klimax LP12, Sagatun 1.1, Tundra 1.2 and new Dynaudio Contour 30s. After we played the cut, which was quite good, I asked him if he'd like to hear a little comparison. We listened to the first part of the track again and I switched to the Tundra 2.2 which was already warmed up. He immediately said "Is that a different amp?" and I told him it was a substantially upgraded version. He noted that he could now hear much more clearly how the piano was being played and the quality of the cymbals. His most interesting comment was that the T2.2 was allowed us to hear this additional information "without losing the beautiful musicality" of the T1.2!

We all know that there are many systems that are very detailed yet leave you completely cold, missing out on the heart of the music. Indeed he also mentioned that he had just heard the big brother of the speakers we used at another dealer and they sounded horrible - we were making the most musical sound he had heard with the new Contours. But with these latest upgrades Fredrik has allowed us to hear further into the music than we have been able to before. Yet instead of unravelling the music as so many other products do, it weaves the musical magic even more thoroughly.

I feel that the current lineup of amplification from the Boazu through to the Monos has a level of musical communication that is powerful, beautiful and engaging in a way that it is hard to imagine it getting better (although they do get more musical and captivating as you move up the line). They all have this easy musicality that competes fully with other good products on the market that are significantly more expensive and leaves most gear completely in the dust. It is a very impressive body of work, including the phono stages, and one to be proud of. It is no accident that Chris Frankland has tagged Fredrik as a great designer.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
u252agz
Very active member
Very active member

Post by u252agz »

ThomasOK wrote:I think I know what you mean in the sense that these are sound improvements that serve the music. .
Yes - that is it in a nutshell.

The improvements here enhance and complement the musicality whereas with other manufacturers, the improvements often do quite the converse and distract from, or even fight against the musicality.

Majik LP12/Boazu/110s
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

u252agz wrote:
ThomasOK wrote:I think I know what you mean in the sense that these are sound improvements that serve the music. .
Yes - that is it in a nutshell.

The improvements here enhance and complement the musicality whereas with other manufacturers, the improvements often do quite the converse and distract from, or even fight against the musicality.
+1

That is what we are here for. Get the music in tune and dig deeper without loosing the overall perspective.
Sounds so easy but it is not an easy task.
Playing cd’s…………
HIDDENSYSTEMS

Post by HIDDENSYSTEMS »

Good read and agree will all points.

I recent client described how for a year (loans on and off) that he couldn't get the Lejonklou feeling it couldn't drive the music but now with Tarandus he gave in and said "you were right I'm engaged with the music so much more" he said, "the system has stopped shouting at me". A very happy guy and in love with his Totem Sky's too.
http://www.hiddensystems.co.uk
Lejonklou | Linn | Naim | Devialet | Rega | Totem | |Kudos
Ozzzy189
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Ozzzy189 »

Makes me wonder how anyone into hifi could actually listen to anything else! Another fantastic report. Thanks for the thoughts, always fantastic to hear from folks who've had their stuff upgraded.
Congratulations on your upgrades. I'll get mine done by 2020!
ADS3/SagMono/Tundra 2.2- . Totem Tribe Tower.
Lejonklou demos available in the N of England.
u252agz
Very active member
Very active member

Post by u252agz »

Tarundus upgrades are still settling in and the system continues to improve.

Its very very good at the moment and really quite wonderful - hugely engaging and enjoyable. So much so, that any source upgrades ( KDS3 / Radikal etc ) are far from my mind and I am just enjoying the music.

There is something quite special which has been achieved with these upgrades - everything is better but more than that the music sounds just 'right'. As if it has reached the end point of its journey to perfection.

I know it can be, and will be better - but it definitely feels like that at the moment.

Ozzy - you have a treat waiting for you when the time is right. I suspect even the Tundra Stereo upgrade by itself will blow your socks off, let alone all three amps.

Majik LP12/Boazu/110s
macrotech2
Very active member
Very active member

Post by macrotech2 »

Yes, it really is quite special when you first hear a Lejonklou amp and realise that it produces the musical sound you have always been searching for (in my case for over forty years!) Then it keeps getting better with each new Lejonklou product you add or upgrade. Astonishing!
Freddy

Post by Freddy »

I have now listen to my recently Tarandus upgraded Sagatune/Tundra stereo for few weeks. I'm really happy with how it performs. It brings out even more natural music than before. Deeper base, more open and make the musicians more present! I have an LP 12 with Keel, Radikal, Ekos 2 and Adikt, Kairn as MM stage and M140 speaker. Great work Fredrik!

I have been playing a lots of records lately some favorites now are Pavlov's dog that I found second hand by chance when shop owner played the song Julia in the store. Ella Fitzgerald is the greatest Jazz singer in IMO. Wow its fantastic when she does Mack the Knife. Roger Waters Amused to death is maybe the best recorded LP ever. Great music!
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Good to hear you are pleased with the units. The Tarandus upgrades are certainly very impressive. I'm sure Ozzy would say you have Freddy boxes, which would be doubly true in your case.

Glad to hear about Amused to Death too as I just bought the new pressing and haven't had a chance to listen to it yet.
The LP12 Whisperer
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

ThomasOK wrote: .. Glad to hear about Amused to Death too as I just bought the new pressing and haven't had a chance to listen to it yet.
Interested to know what you think of it, especially against the original release if you have it. (I have to check whether I have the CD or the LP... Seems like I have it in CD only, and need to find a copy in vinyl)
Freddy

Post by Freddy »

tokenbrit wrote:ThomasOK wrote:
.. Glad to hear about Amused to Death too as I just bought the new pressing and haven't had a chance to listen to it yet.

Interested to know what you think of it, especially against the original release if you have it. (I have to check whether I have the CD or the LP... Seems like I have it in CD only, and need to find a copy in vinyl)
I also have the new vinyl pressing. The original vinyl pressing is not easy to find and often cost very much. The CD is also good but I don´t have a super good playback for it (Karik/Numerik). In my stereo the vinyl is much better. If you like this kind of music its fantastic how it possible to make the music surround you like this. It like a 3D movie but music with sounds flying around in the room :)
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Very happy to hear that you're pleased, Freddy!

Thanks for reporting!
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Freddy wrote:
tokenbrit wrote:ThomasOK wrote:
.. Glad to hear about Amused to Death too as I just bought the new pressing and haven't had a chance to listen to it yet.

I also have the new vinyl pressing. The original vinyl pressing is not easy to find and often cost very much. The CD is also good but I don´t have a super good playback for it (Karik/Numerik). In my stereo the vinyl is much better. If you like this kind of music its fantastic how it possible to make the music surround you like this. It like a 3D movie but music with sounds flying around in the room :)
Thats even better to hear as I noticed the originals were going for prices in the hundreds of dollars. But it seems the reissue is supposed to be really good. We have used the digital file here and the spaciousness is indeed quite impressive. Even though I am not normally a big imaging guy I have to admit it is quite cool to hear thunder rolling over your head! If it sounds as I hope it does it should make a great demo disk.
The LP12 Whisperer
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

I'm tempted by the picture disc which is available for less than the black vinyl, and looks cool (literally ;) but I haven't found anything yet that mentions whether it is the same cut and as good musically - all the positive reviews appear to be for the black vinyl reissue
u252agz
Very active member
Very active member

Post by u252agz »

Yesterday _I had the rare pleasure of having the house to myself for an evening, and the Monos now run in nicely, after the recent upgrades, were given an opportunity to warm up properly along with the KDS.

Listened to Nigel Kennedy's Four seasons and Hannah Offroys Cello concerto, both of which I have had for years- Truly captivating and just magesterial. I have never heard these sounding so good.

I was thinking - Music just does/cannot not get better than this and then a vinyl recording of Birdy reminded me just how good my basic - mid spec LP12 can sound with these amps.

The Tarandus upgrades are really something and have done something to my system which has stopped me thinking about further upgrades.

Just Great.

Majik LP12/Boazu/110s
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

Congrats!
u252agz wrote: The Tarandus upgrades are really something and have done something to my system which has stopped me thinking about further upgrades.
For the time being... :)
It's all about musical understanding!
u252agz
Very active member
Very active member

Post by u252agz »

Agreed.

But for now, I am really going to enjoy this rare moment of my Hi Fi journey.

I am sure that when the Lejonklou streamer is up and ready - I will resume the quest for musical Nirvana.
Last edited by u252agz on 2017-08-25 10:10, edited 1 time in total.

Majik LP12/Boazu/110s
macrotech2
Very active member
Very active member

Post by macrotech2 »

I'm the same, I just don't think about upgrades any more. I will of course consider anything new that appears from Fredrik, but the old thinking that it could sound better if I did this or that is gone. Superb.
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

u252agz wrote: I am sure that when the Lejonklou streamer is up and ready - I will be resume the quest for musical Nirvana.
We all do, I hope it will come in due time.
At the moment the KDS3 Katalyst seems to be the best digital source.

Matt
Matt

MBP / Exposure pre + power (both modified) / JBL3677
u252agz
Very active member
Very active member

Post by u252agz »

KDS3 is said to be much much better than KDS2 - but with The Tarundus Monos I feel as if I can hold out for the Lejonklou streamer.

If the itch to upgrade comes back before this ( as MusicLover has predicted) and the need to scratch becomes overwhelming - I think I will upgrade the power supply of the LP12 to Radikal .

The Lp12 even in my lowly Majik / akurate spec is just fantastic and given a top quality recording makes me forget the KDS2. Heaven knows what a Klimax level power supply will do to this.

Majik LP12/Boazu/110s
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

u252agz wrote:KDS3 is said to be much much better than KDS2 - but with The Tarundus Monos I feel as if I can hold out for the Lejonklou streamer.

If the itch to upgrade comes back before this ( as MusicLover has predicted) and the need to scratch becomes overwhelming - I think I will upgrade the power supply of the LP12 to Radikal .

The Lp12 even in my lowly Majik / akurate spec is just fantastic and given a top quality recording makes me forget the KDS2. Heaven knows what a Klimax level power supply will do to this.
It will give you a bigger slice of heaven.
The LP12 Whisperer
u252agz
Very active member
Very active member

Post by u252agz »

The reply is as apposite as it is short - I enjoyed that.

If the Radikal power supply serves up larger portions of what my LP12 and Monos are currently producing, I am even more likely to succumb when the upgraditis sets in, and leave the digital side of things for later.

Majik LP12/Boazu/110s