Lejonklou Cables

Conversations about Lejonklou Products and this Forum

Moderator: Staff

Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Lejonklou Cables

Post by Charlie1 »

Once the current Lejonklou projuct is complete then what do folks think about Lejonklou speaker cable?

I remember back when I had Exposure amplification with Kans that I was told to use Exposure speaker cable, not Linn. Do similar recommendations exist today when mixing amp and speaker vendors.

What about ICs as well? Can't be recommending Linn forever now that the product line is growing.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Lejonklou Cables

Post by lejonklou »

Hi Charlie!

I started working on an interconnect and a loudspeaker cable many years ago, even before my first product was released. I still devote a small part of my time in search of the right parts. During 2017, it's not been much: I've made two interconnects and three loudspeaker cables from parts that seemed to hold promise, but was unimpressed by them all.

This is an area that annoys me, because it involves an almost endless amount of guesswork and testing, and logic and engineering doesn't help all that much.

The assembly is the easiest part. I have lots of experience in that field.

The connectors are relatively easy. I have an RCA that is fantastic (unless the manufacturer has disappeared or changed radically since I last collaborated with them a few years ago). I'm sure I can have a great loudspeaker connector made, but have not yet found a suitable manufacturer.

The cables
are a serious problem. I have boxes full of failed experiments. I've received countless of tips, ordered the parts and found them lacking. I have discussed design-from-scratch coaxial cables and loudspeaker cables with several companies, but the costs have been excessive.

In short: I have very little time for this right now. I am very thankful for all the help I can get.
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

Fredrik,
I completely understand your POV. I like to use Exposure speaker cable and Linn Silvers as IC.

Matt
Matt

MBP / Exposure pre + power (both modified) / JBL3677
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Hi Matthias!

I haven't yet tried Exposure speaker cable. Do they make several models or is there only one?
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

lejonklou wrote:I haven't yet tried Exposure speaker cable. Do they make several models or is there only one?
Hi Fredrik,
AFAIK, Exposure do not produce a speaker cable at the moment. Mine is an "Exposure DMF two", more than ten years old. It is similar to Linn K20 and Naim:

https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anz ... 9-172-8190

Matt
Matt

lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Ok. Is it better than half a K400?
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

lejonklou wrote:Ok. Is it better than half a K400?
I must confess I did not compare. Exposure power amps need to have plus and minus separated like K20 and I need 7m per channel in my living room.
Matt

Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

matthias wrote:
lejonklou wrote:Ok. Is it better than half a K400?
I must confess I did not compare. Exposure power amps need to have plus and minus separated like K20 and I need 7m per channel in my living room.
7m, big room = great!
Ever tested Lejonklou amps/Fredriks K200's? Working great with 3677's
It's all about musical understanding!
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

lejonklou wrote:Hi Charlie!

I started working on an interconnect and a loudspeaker cable many years ago, even before my first product was released. I still devote a small part of my time in search of the right parts. During 2017, it's not been much: I've made two interconnects and three loudspeaker cables from parts that seemed to hold promise, but was unimpressed by them all.

This is an area that annoys me, because it involves an almost endless amount of guesswork and testing, and logic and engineering doesn't help all that much.

The assembly is the easiest part. I have lots of experience in that field.

The connectors are relatively easy. I have an RCA that is fantastic (unless the manufacturer has disappeared or changed radically since I last collaborated with them a few years ago). I'm sure I can have a great loudspeaker connector made, but have not yet found a suitable manufacturer.

The cables
are a serious problem. I have boxes full of failed experiments. I've received countless of tips, ordered the parts and found them lacking. I have discussed design-from-scratch coaxial cables and loudspeaker cables with several companies, but the costs have been excessive.

In short: I have very little time for this right now. I am very thankful for all the help I can get.
Thanks Fredrik. Sorry that it is proving so difficult but I'm sure you'll find a solution at some point. I sympathise especially as suppliers may change their processes or stop manufacture and you have to start again. You'd think an independent accessory manufacturer would have something reasonable, but I guess many are chasing high end market and focused on sound rather than music.
sunbeamgls
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sunbeamgls »

Given that halving K400 has a finite lifetime as supplies dry up, is there a current "preferred" alternative?
KSH/0; KEBox/2; 3x Tundra Stereo 2.5; PMC fact.12. Blogger. Exakt Design. SO measuring.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Charlie1 wrote:You'd think an independent accessory manufacturer would have something reasonable, but I guess many are chasing high end market and focused on sound rather than music.
Not "many", all of them. I haven't found a single cable or accessory manufacturer who know what musicality is about.
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

lejonklou wrote:
Charlie1 wrote:You'd think an independent accessory manufacturer would have something reasonable, but I guess many are chasing high end market and focused on sound rather than music.
Not "many", all of them. I haven't found a single cable or accessory manufacturer who know what musicality is about.
Ever heard Chord Cables?
It's all about musical understanding!
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

Music Lover wrote:Ever tested Lejonklou amps/Fredriks K200's? Working great with 3677's
Unfortunately not yet, but they must be great with 3677s. I am curious about Fredriks upcoming digital source.

Matt
Matt

beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

Many years ago I was told by a dealer (trained at linn in Scotland) who had been given a reference pair of linn black interconnects at a visit at linn that it was impossible for linn to predict if a cable was really musical or not. The only thing they could do was to listen to the cables and from time to time they found cables that stood out from the ordinary.

When I bought my lk100 (demo unit) I was asked if I needed a pair of interconnects to go with it. I said yes (lucky for me).
He stopped for a short while, then gave me his linn black interconnects telling me it was a pair of linn blacks he had been given at the above training. It was what he had lying around at the time. I guess he was thinking that linn was moving on making better cables (or that he could easily get another good pair, maybe flatline cables that were big at that time).

At the time I did not think much about it and did not understand what he said. As I used it at home in my old setup together with more ordinary cables I could not hear anything out of the ordinary.

It is only now that I realise that I have been very lucky.

About the lk100. When I came to the store to get my amp I was so ready for a new amp that I declined an offer to get a new unit ordered home. I asked for a demo unit.
Then he told me that the old model actually was better! Still I did not take much notice of it. I was just a glad young man walking home with my lk100.
Playing cd’s…………