Tundra TARANDUS

Conversations about Lejonklou Products and this Forum

Moderator: Staff

lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Tundra TARANDUS

Post by lejonklou »

Yesterday TARANDUS for Tundra was released!

It consists of the same improvements as with TARANDUS for Tundra Mono, the only difference is that some component values have been slightly adjusted.

• Improved filtering of power lines, starting at 0.9 instead of 5 Hz (version 2.1)

• Improved stability of low power idling currents, due to the addition of a new circuit (version 2.2)

The price for the TARANDUS upgrade of Tundra is SEK 3900, EUR 425, GBP 355 and USD 475 per unit. The recommended retail price for a new Tundra remains the same as before.

If you've experienced Tundra TARANDUS, please post your impressions below!
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Tundra TARANDUS

Post by ThomasOK »

The Tarandus Tundra 2.2 rocks! There I did it!
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

I had told Fredrik how much I liked the Tundra 2 that I had just upgraded to a 2.2 Tarandus. He challenged to keep my report on it under 25 words, hence the post above. I told him “not likely” but obviously I accepted the challenge.

But here is the real, and substantially longer (as usual), report. I have had the 2.2 playing in the store for a couple of days along with an older Tundra 1.2 and a Tundra 2.0. I did some comparisons Tuesday and Yesterday but wanted to wait until today, when everything had had some warm up time, to do more serious listening. The system was in our larger Studio C that Fredrik did the Sagatun US announcement in and used a fully loaded LP12 (mainly) and a KDS/1 through a Sagatun 1.1 and ending up in new Dynaudio Contour 20 speakers. I also brought a Boazu in to really make it interesting.

For starters it was immediately obvious that the T2.2 was in a whole different league from the 1.2 but that was to be expected. As good as the 1.2 was, the 2.2 just lets you hear a lot more musical information, it is much easier to follow all the instruments and it really gets you involved in the music. No real surprise there but then the bigger question was what about the 2.2 vs. the 2.0? Well the 2.0, as we know, is quite a bit better than the 1.2 – more tuneful, more powerful bass yet with more control as well, more dynamic. But the 2.2 Tarandus takes this a substantial step farther. You can hear more into what is going on in the music. The contribution of every instrument, even in dense compositions, is clearly audible and easy to follow. In fact when I go to the T2.2 I get the feeling that I am hearing what you would hear in the control room when the recording is being made.

But what really puts it over the top is the emotional connection to the music. It definitely makes you want to get up and dance when the music demands it but it goes further. One example is that I was listening to “Locomotive Breath” by Jethro Tull from the “Aqualung” album. This is not a happy song. Indeed I do enjoy listening to melancholy or even sometimes depressing songs – I find it somewhat cathartic. I was at a Steven Wilson concert where he said that he tended to write melancholy songs, not because he was necessarily melancholy, but because it made him happy to create those songs. He said that it seemed that his fans agreed as they got enjoyment out of listening to those songs. Trent Reznor of Nine Inch Nails took it further one time when I saw him playing in an outdoor concert at sunset. He was not happy with the situation and let us know by saying “These songs are dark, they were written in the dark, they are meant to be played in the dark!” He didn’t come back for an encore. Back to “Locomotive Breath”. It is indeed a rather dark song and I listened to it a lot in a dark time in my life. So I have a definite emotional connection to it. Listening to it through the T2.0 it was very good and got the juices flowing, but when I listened to it on the Tarandus T2.2 it grabbed me by the throat and thrashed me – which is what it is supposed to do. The song starts out innocently enough with some mellow piano and guitar, which have a tonality through the 2.2 unmatched by the preceding amps, but then the song changes to raw power and anguish and the 2.2 is just there with all of it. In comparison the 2.0 sounds a bit tame, a bit slow and seems to blend things together. This is not something I would have expected to say of that amp but the 2.2 takes everything a distinct step closer to musical reality.

OK, where does the Boazu come in. Well, Fredrik told me that he felt the Boazu was a little less musically informative and not as smooth as the Sagatun 1.1/Tundra 2.0 combo but that it connected you with the music better. It was more of a party animal that really rocked. This is about as good a description as I can think of and mirrored my experiences here. The Boazu was really emotionally engaging and connects you with the music – it really rocks! It does have a little bit of an edge but only compared to something really better. But something really better is where the T2.2 comes in. Even while still using the Sagatun 1.1 the T2.2 reverses the pecking order. It gives you even more emotional connection to the music and is even more dynamic. Yet it is also smoother and more controlled with a higher level of finesse in letting you hear the subtleties of playing and of instrumental tonal color. In other words it is the best of both worlds.

So even without the Tarandus upgrade on the Sagatun stereo (just completed but not yet evaluated properly) the S1.1/T2.2 is immediately and obviously musically superior to the Boazu. This makes the Boazu no less of a stunning product for the money, as the world is finding out, but it does give the serious music lover a good reason to spend the extra money on the separates. My feeling is that the numbering isn’t quite right. Although I haven’t really warmed up and burned in the Tarandus Sagatun 1.3, my initial impression is that if the Tarandus makes a Sagatun go from 1.1 to 1.3, it would really be fairer to say that the Tarandus takes the Tundra from 2.0 to 2.4! It is not a subtle upgrade. Indeed I would not be surprised if for sheer musicality The Tarandus Tundra 2.2 was not the equal of the original Tundra Monos (although maybe not for power and the last bit of control). I haven’t done this comparison but this amp is really, really good.
The LP12 Whisperer
finster

Post by finster »

Good report - I do enjoy my Tundra stereo amps. I have 2, one is 2.0 and other is 1.2 used in an active Keltik system with a bryston 4 channel amp on the bass. I have considered upgrading my v1.2 to a version 2.0 but now with Tarandus I may have to do both. What would the cost be Thomas and is there an at home kit to avoid sending them away for a while? I will miss them:(
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

ThomasOK wrote:He challenged to keep my report on it under 25 words, hence the post above. I told him “not likely” but obviously I accepted the challenge.
:)

I really appreciate the time and effort in describing your experience. Your detailed thoughts is often a thrilling read.
Quality always beats quantity, but as long as you are as stringent as you normally are, I'm glad you elaborate in detail.

Back OT, I'm also very happy with my 5*Mono Tarandus. Great stuff.
It's all about musical understanding!
maffe
Very active member
Very active member

Post by maffe »

Music Lover wrote:<snip>
Back OT, I'm also very happy with my 5*Mono Tarandus. Great stuff <snip>.
I would say thats an understatment!

Hade to go home early from work today, man-flu...
Found the LP "the Wannadies - the Wannadies" from 1990 deep down in the record collection. Have not played it in a long time, pre Tundra and Tarandus.
OMG that record is darn good and never heard "My home town" this emotional before!

If you have a Tundra it´s your obligation as a citizen in the land of music loving to get the Tarandus upgrade :)
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

finster wrote:Good report - I do enjoy my Tundra stereo amps. I have 2, one is 2.0 and other is 1.2 used in an active Keltik system with a bryston 4 channel amp on the bass. I have considered upgrading my v1.2 to a version 2.0 but now with Tarandus I may have to do both. What would the cost be Thomas and is there an at home kit to avoid sending them away for a while? I will miss them:(
Hi finster, The price for the Tarandus upgrade is $475US per unit. The charge for the Tundra 1.2 to 2.0 upgrade is $500US. These are plus shipping. Unfortunately, this is not something that can be done by the owner. It requires soldering at the precise temperature for best performance and also applying the correct torque to all fasteners. It is exacting work - Fredrik and I are the only two allowed to perform the upgrades, unless he has certified another distributor.

You would need to give me some advanced notice as I haven't been keeping the T2.0 upgrades in stock so I would need to order that in. When you did send your units to me I would endeavor to return them to you as soon as possible. I am PMing you with some further info.
The LP12 Whisperer
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Music Lover wrote:
ThomasOK wrote:He challenged to keep my report on it under 25 words, hence the post above. I told him “not likely” but obviously I accepted the challenge.
:)

I really appreciate the time and effort in describing your experience. Your detailed thoughts is often a thrilling read.
Quality always beats quantity, but as long as you are as stringent as you normally are, I'm glad you elaborate in detail.

Back OT, I'm also very happy with my 5*Mono Tarandus. Great stuff.
5 TM2.2? Are you running your JBLs actively now?
The LP12 Whisperer
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

5 Monos, not 5 Tundra Monos :)
It's all about musical understanding!
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Music Lover wrote:5 Monos, not 5 Tundra Monos :)
Ah, got it. Pays to read closely.
The LP12 Whisperer
maffe
Very active member
Very active member

Post by maffe »

Music Lover wrote:5 Monos, not 5 Tundra Monos :)
Looking forward to experience your new set up soon!
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

Interesting: TARANDUS sounds like a bigger upgrade for the Stereo Tundra than that for the Mono version, or am I reading a little too much into your write up, Thomas? Great job on the challenge, btw :)
u252agz
Very active member
Very active member

Post by u252agz »

Time for a Tundra stereo Tarundus vs Tundra mono Tarundus shoot out.

At this rate you will be spending most of your free time either doing comparisions between upgraded and non upgraded Lejonklou amps, or between all the recently upgraded versions.

We will enjoy reading the reports.
Kalla/Sag M/Tun M3/242/LP12/Slip7

Kalla/Giella Pi/JBL308/RS2e

Majik LP12/Boazu/110s
Freddy

Post by Freddy »

Good news then for us Tundra owners! I´m happy with my 2.0 as it is but maybe I should consider an upgrade after all.
sunbeamgls
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sunbeamgls »

Its always good to read about the views of those selling the product :)
KSH/0; KEBox/2; 3x Tundra Stereo 2.5; PMC fact.12. Blogger. Exakt Design. SO measuring.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

sunbeamgls wrote:Its always good to read about the views of those selling the product :)
This was the most disrespectful comment I've read on this forum in a long time.

Apparently you don't have any clue of how methodical, thorough and honest Thomas is when reviewing equipment. He is highly respected and could sell any brand he wishes. I know that he's been testing lots of new stuff, but rejects everything that he doesn't find musical. I am very lucky that he chooses to sell my products and I know that he would not for a second hesitate to write that he is unimpressed if that's what he feels.
sunbeamgls
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sunbeamgls »

lejonklou wrote:
sunbeamgls wrote:Its always good to read about the views of those selling the product :)
This was the most disrespectful comment I've read on this forum in a long time.

Apparently you don't have any clue of how methodical, thorough and honest Thomas is when reviewing equipment. He is highly respected and could sell any brand he wishes. I know that he's been testing lots of new stuff, but rejects everything that he doesn't find musical. I am very lucky that he chooses to sell my products and I know that he would not for a second hesitate to write that he is unimpressed if that's what he feels.
It was not intended to be disrespectful, nor personal to Thomas. You have read too much into it. I can tell Thomas expresses his opinion as he does not universally praise all Linn products.
It was just to point out that the forum does not distinguish between dealers and non-dealers. Maybe I should've made the request for such transparency elsewhere on the forum. I'll do it now.
KSH/0; KEBox/2; 3x Tundra Stereo 2.5; PMC fact.12. Blogger. Exakt Design. SO measuring.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

The only one in this thread who is selling my products is Thomas, so how could it not be personal to him?
sunbeamgls
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sunbeamgls »

That's fine Fredrik - but without clear identification (now resovled), it was not clear who is a dealer and who is not - it was not intended to be personal, as explained above.
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

"It was not clear who is a dealer and who is not"

???????

At least it was perfectly clear for you.

Matt
Matt

MBP / Exposure pre + power (both modified) / JBL3677
sunbeamgls
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sunbeamgls »

matthias wrote:
"It was not clear who is a dealer and who is not"

???????

At least it was perfectly clear for you.

Matt
I know ThomasOK is a dealer but my point was a generic one, not specific, as stated above. Twice.

I've also said that I should have made my point elsewhere rather than specifically in this thread, and have done so.

What more do you want other than to stir up something that was not intended to be personal? Please stop trying to turn this into something personal. It is not.
u252agz
Very active member
Very active member

Post by u252agz »

Sunbeamgls.

If you stay on the forum long enough, are fortunate enough to be able to listen to the same products as OKThomas, and judge Hi Fi on its ability to be musical, I think you will be reassured that these reviews are impartial, pretty accurate and very passionate.

You may even begin to appreciate that they are extremely well written by someone with a wealth of experience and enjoy them as much as some others on the forum.

Majik LP12/Boazu/110s
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

Yes,
I may recall that Thomas was one of the first respected members of the Linn forum who dared to say that (at a moment of nearly universal praise for the machined aluminium top plates) these top plates were not as musical as the Linn stainless steel ones and stired up a hornets nest.

Matt
Matt

MBP / Exposure pre + power (both modified) / JBL3677
sunbeamgls
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sunbeamgls »

You're all trying to make it personal. I'm not.

And please don't assume what I've heard and haven't heard and please don't think understanding a tune is something exclusive.
u252agz
Very active member
Very active member

Post by u252agz »

Perhaps we should call a 'Time out' on this thread and ask the moderators to look at all 'nonTundra Tarundus' posts and excercise their discretion.

Majik LP12/Boazu/110s