Tundra TARANDUS

Conversations about Lejonklou Products and this Forum

Moderator: Staff

Erik

Re: Tundra TARANDUS

Post by Erik »

sunbeamgls wrote:You're ............

..........and please don't think understanding a tune is something exclusive.
And don't take for granted everyone understands tune dem.

Erik
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Sunbeamgls, you are a master of condescension. You even managed to be condescending with two characters that are not letters! You can often tell when you are being this way because you end a sentence in a “please” or even a :) – although that indication is not always there. You have run into a number of people on various forums that have decided to no longer engage with you and your constant needling.

When people called you out for your obvious attempt to call my review into question you stated that it was not personal despite it being in a thread where it could only be personal. You appear to be unable to help yourself. In your defense you stated “And please don't assume what I've heard and haven't heard and please don't think understanding a tune is something exclusive.” The only thing in that thread people assumed you had heard was that I was a dealer, which you admitted above that post. And nobody said a thing about the tune being “something exclusive” in that thread nor have I ever heard any claim to this anywhere else on the forum. Indeed it is clearly stated in a number of places that the tune method (used here because presumably Linn has trademarked “tune dem”) came originally from Linn and that we have found it an invaluable tool. Yet, you have made this comment at least twice about the tune method not being exclusive when nobody had said it was – someone would think you were picking a fight?

As to the identification, I have already added Manufacturer, Distributor and Retailer to my signature as requested as I am indeed all of those. I think pretty much everybody on here was already aware that I was in the trade as I have been very clear about here and other places and have often stated it in a review. On this forum I didn’t think it was needed every time but with the signature it now will be there. However, just like on the Linn forum, it really gives very limited information, as just from the signature you don’t know what product(s) I am involved with.

But talking of hidden agendas (and yes I know you didn’t actually say that, only hinted at it) I notice that you often prefer to not tell people your feelings on products instead referring them to your blog which is at least somewhat ad supported! This has happened even when your comments on the item in question was limited to a couple of sentences from a show report. So I wonder why your signature has not been updated? Maybe you could start with Wannabe Reviewer and Exakt Proselytizer? After all, you don’t have to make money off it to be selling something!
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

Just a friendly reminder that this thread is about amps.
It's all about musical understanding!
sunbeamgls
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sunbeamgls »

ThomasOK wrote:Sunbeamgls, you are a master of condescension. You even managed to be condescending with two characters that are not letters! You can often tell when you are being this way because you end a sentence in a “please” or even a :) – although that indication is not always there. You have run into a number of people on various forums that have decided to no longer engage with you and your constant needling.

When people called you out for your obvious attempt to call my review into question you stated that it was not personal despite it being in a thread where it could only be personal. You appear to be unable to help yourself. In your defense you stated “And please don't assume what I've heard and haven't heard and please don't think understanding a tune is something exclusive.” The only thing in that thread people assumed you had heard was that I was a dealer, which you admitted above that post. And nobody said a thing about the tune being “something exclusive” in that thread nor have I ever heard any claim to this anywhere else on the forum. Indeed it is clearly stated in a number of places that the tune method (used here because presumably Linn has trademarked “tune dem”) came originally from Linn and that we have found it an invaluable tool. Yet, you have made this comment at least twice about the tune method not being exclusive when nobody had said it was – someone would think you were picking a fight?

As to the identification, I have already added Manufacturer, Distributor and Retailer to my signature as requested as I am indeed all of those. I think pretty much everybody on here was already aware that I was in the trade as I have been very clear about here and other places and have often stated it in a review. On this forum I didn’t think it was needed every time but with the signature it now will be there. However, just like on the Linn forum, it really gives very limited information, as just from the signature you don’t know what product(s) I am involved with.

But talking of hidden agendas (and yes I know you didn’t actually say that, only hinted at it) I notice that you often prefer to not tell people your feelings on products instead referring them to your blog which is at least somewhat ad supported! This has happened even when your comments on the item in question was limited to a couple of sentences from a show report. So I wonder why your signature has not been updated? Maybe you could start with Wannabe Reviewer and Exakt Proselytizer? After all, you don’t have to make money off it to be selling something!
My signature was updated yesterday, as requested by the rules.

I'm not sure how I'm supposed to express myself when using "please" is seen as a problem - that's just there because I'm polite. I've recognised that this was the wrong thread to raise this and emphasised it was not personal many times. I'm really not sure what I'm expected to do to put this right, given that I've tried a number of times above, the review wasn't even questioned. I apologise for using this thread incorrectly.

Maybe the mods would like to remove all this distraction from the thread, given it has been resolved elsewhere?

Update 9 March 2017: Further to my open apology above, last weekend I sent PMs to lejonklou and ThomasOK to clarify that my post was in the wrong thread, was badly worded, ill-considered and ill-timed. It was not intended to be personal although, given what a poor post it was, it is entirley reasonable that it would be interpreted in that way,as some have done. In my PMs I apologised again to both members directly for my poor behaviour in this thread.
Last edited by sunbeamgls on 2017-03-09 23:47, edited 1 time in total.
KSH/0; KEBox/2; 3x Tundra Stereo 2.5; PMC fact.12. Blogger. Exakt Design. SO measuring.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Please can be polite, but sometimes it is used just to seem polite. For example, when I was a child my mother was knows to sometimes tell we kids "WILL YOU JUST BE QUIET? PLEASE!" (I am the oldest of 9 with a 14 year spread so there was ample justification.) Interesting how that please also came at the end of the question. To give a more cogent, but rhetorical, example: Could you tell us why you think you have explained something when all you have done is to deny it three times? Please?

All that has been resolved is the excuse you used for a thread crap in the first place. And that was taken care of because Fredrik is straightforward enough to follow up on a good idea regardless of the source. What has not been resolved are the problems I enumerated in my last post, nor do I expect them to be resolved.

To all the other members and friends of the forum I want to apologize for this obviously off-topic couple of posts. I'm also sorry if you found them harsh. I am generally known as a mellow and gentle person. But I'm not a doormat nor do I like to see the forum used as one. I said what I felt I needed to say and I'm sure that all those who were interested would likely have read it by now. I certainly have no problem whatsoever if the moderators choose to delete all the off topic posts. I imagine the best place to start might be the original thread crap.
Last edited by ThomasOK on 2017-03-02 01:04, edited 1 time in total.
The LP12 Whisperer
sunbeamgls
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sunbeamgls »

I don't think I used 'please' at the end of any sentences.

I have apologised for bad use of the thread.

I am saddened by the political challenges that are irrelevant here. It is rather unpleasant to be accused of any parallels with the current US government.

I share my blog posts for the interest of readers on multiple forums for them to choose to read them or not.

I'm not sure why humilility and apology is not acceptable, but it is offered regardless.
KSH/0; KEBox/2; 3x Tundra Stereo 2.5; PMC fact.12. Blogger. Exakt Design. SO measuring.
Erik

Post by Erik »

sunbeamgls,

for me, you are a Troll balancing and always trying to be on the polite but questioning side of the border. Your way of discussing and insulting is on the rude side witch makes the atmosphere a bit poisoned. Realise you are upsetting people with your way of acting.

Ironi and sarcasm is a coward way to hide, by always having a safe way out. A smiley is one way of doing this.

By the way, Tundra TARANDUS is a fantastic upgrade.

/Erik
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

One of my customers borrowed my demo Tundra Tarandus for the weekend on Saturday. He was so impressed he called me less than an hour later to see if I could do the upgrade last weekend! He said that unlike sometimes when he has to go back and forth to hear differences it was immediately obvious that much more music was coming through. He said he felt Fredrik was underestimating the improvement calling it a 2.2. I mentioned I had posted I felt it should be a 2.4 and he replied he thought 2.5 was more accurate. ;-)

I didn't have an unsold kit in Saturday but just received another one yesterday so he will get his upgrade this week. Looks like I need to order more!
The LP12 Whisperer
Sopper
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Sopper »

Hello, first post here; long time reader.

Bought the immaculate Tundra 2.0 from hidden systems UK last week.
Out of the box with MDSM/2 as source, it felt like i had upgraded to KDS, amazing...

Now the fever has got me big time; delivered the unit to Marco from Hexagon yesterday for the Tarandus upgrade.
Really eager to hear this upgrade and will let you know when the unit has returned.

Keep up the marvelous work, Fredrik!!
KÄLLA > Sagatun Mono 1.7 > Tundra Mono 3.0 > Graham LS8/1F
Cables: Trivium Audio Cables
mrco99
Very active member
Very active member

Post by mrco99 »

Hello Sopper,

Welcome at the Lejonklou forum and very nice meeting you yesterday. Your Tundra is now on its way to Fredrik for the Tarandus upgrade.
Keep you posted.

Best regards from Amsterdam,

Marco
Distributor of Lejonklou | Aqua | Graham Audio | Klangedang | NOKTable | Ophidian | The Wand
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Hi Sopper!

Here's a Welcome! from me as well.

Looking forward to upgrading your Tundra to the latest specification. I hope you will like it!
donuk
Very active member
Very active member

Post by donuk »

I was rather surprised to discover that folk were getting upset on this forum. I am only making this contribution to try to be helpful.

Firstly, I have met Sunbeam, Frederick, and have corresponded quite a bit with Thomas over the years. I sort of feel I know them.

When I read Sunbeam's comment, I laughed out loud - which is obviously what he wanted us to do. So what? Thomas had extolled at great length the beauty of a product he sells. And of course he is going to benefit from a sale. Just like my friend Hamish at Sound Organisation does. But I trust Hamish, and I suspect we all trust Thomas equally. But I am sure Sunbeam's comment was a friendly jab and nothing more.

Yes, Sunbeam won't mind my saying that he has strong opinions about hifi, and is not afraid to express them. I too am pompous about what I have learned in decades of buying, building and discussing hifi.

As too are many of the regular contributors to this forum. There are many strongly held local truths, and one is firmly reminded if one is "wrong" about something. Which is why, for what it is worth, I nowadays tend not to post my views about sound quality; it is generally acknowledged here that I do not listen to music properly. But that is not an issue with me; it is all still worth an occasional read.

As I have said before, I think the regular dedicated contributors to this forum tend to overlook the fact that this forum has many more lurkers that actual contributors. I am sure that many recent lurkers will have their opinion that we are a rarified group of eccentrics will be confirmed. (Just mention this forum at any hifi show or most hifi shops).

If the purpose of writing on this forum is to spread the gospel about what constitutes good sound, and presumably sell Frederick's black boxes we all need to perhaps go easy and all look more widely and kindly.

To end on a positive note, I must share an experience I had last week. Something I suppose we all have from time to time. A very good friend came to see me, and we had a bottle of wine. I sat him in the hifi chair, and we discussed hifi. He has a 5.1 system of some sort with a number of little speakers in the top corners of his room producing what can best be described as elevator music.
I explained how my iPad could select all my CDs and stream from Qobuz. Before long I was choosing track after track of his favourites. "I never knew hifi could sound like that!" He is now in touch with Hamish and I am confident sales will follow.... Nice, isn't it?

Donuk, sunny downtown York
Ozzzy189
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Ozzzy189 »

Hi don.
Only if hamish is a Lejonklou dealer.
If you need a tundra to have listen with him I'll pop over with mine.
ADS3/SagMono/Tundra 2.2- . Totem Tribe Tower.
Lejonklou demos available in the N of England.
Sopper
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Sopper »

lejonklou wrote:Hi Sopper!

Looking forward to upgrading your Tundra to the latest specification. I hope you will like it!
It is running 24 hours now
This is by far the most musical amplifier I've had.
The funny thing is that I'm a true believer in source > preamplifier > power amplifier.
The Tundra Tarandus already makes such a huge impact on sound quality; that I'm very eager to try the Sagatun. Just funds letting me down for now...

One thing I noticed is that I had to recalibrate my subwoofer.
It seems that the Tundra has much greater output than the Majik DSM/2 pre-out.
The Velodyne DD12+ is calibrated at volume 15 now (it came from 30 with pre-out Majik DSM/2)
But the pre-out to Tundra is less; used to listen to music at volume 40, now volume at 50

Listening to Clannad: Bridge of tears... simply WOW, guitars playing all around me, as if I had a home theater.

Great job Fredrik!! And thanks for bringing the music back!

Now I have to save a lot of money to upgrade preamplifier while waiting for your streamer :)
anthony
Very active member
Very active member

Post by anthony »

Sopper wrote:
lejonklou wrote:Hi Sopper!

It is running 24 hours now
This is by far the most musical amplifier I've had.
The funny thing is that I'm a true believer in source > preamplifier > power amplifier.
The Tundra Tarandus already makes such a huge impact on sound quality; that I'm very eager to try the Sagatun. Just funds letting me down for now...

One thing I noticed is that I had to recalibrate my subwoofer.
It seems that the Tundra has much greater output than the Majik DSM/2 pre-out.
The Velodyne DD12+ is calibrated at volume 15 now (it came from 30 with pre-out Majik DSM/2)
But the pre-out to Tundra is less; used to listen to music at volume 40, now volume at 50

Listening to Clannad: Bridge of tears... simply WOW, guitars playing all around me, as if I had a home theater.

Great job Fredrik!! And thanks for bringing the music back!

Now I have to save a lot of money to upgrade preamplifier while waiting for your streamer :)
Hi,

Yes it's good isn't it! The tundra has an 8dB gain difference, so you will need an extra 8 on the volume to equate to the majik.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Thank you Sopper and Anthony!

As Anthony said, Tundra plays 8 dB lower than Linn's power amps. If you increase the volume 8 steps, you will get the same volume as before. If the sub is connected with a low level signal from the preamp, it will need to be lowered by 8 dB to match the Tundra.
Sopper
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Sopper »

lejonklou wrote:Thank you Sopper and Anthony!

As Anthony said, Tundra plays 8 dB lower than Linn's power amps. If you increase the volume 8 steps, you will get the same volume as before. If the sub is connected with a low level signal from the preamp, it will need to be lowered by 8 dB to match the Tundra.
The subwoofer is connected to the Tundra output
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Sopper wrote:The subwoofer is connected to the Tundra output
If to the Line Outputs of Tundra, then it's the same level as out from the preamp.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

A new version of Tundra will soon be released.
macrotech2
Very active member
Very active member

Post by macrotech2 »

lejonklou wrote:A new version of Tundra will soon be released.
Exciting news! An upgrade or a completely new beast?
Källa/Sagatun Mono Tarandus/Tundra Mono 3/Avalon Idea Mk2
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

An upgrade!
David Neel
Very active member
Very active member

Post by David Neel »

And will Monos follow?
The search for knowledge is not nourished by certainty, but by a radical distrust in certainty
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Nothing planned for Tundra Mono.
David Neel
Very active member
Very active member

Post by David Neel »

Well at least my wallet can relax!

Until the MC phono stage arrives, that is....
The search for knowledge is not nourished by certainty, but by a radical distrust in certainty
Matteo
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Matteo »

lejonklou wrote:Nothing planned for Tundra Mono.
And Sagatun stereo?

M