Tundra TARANDUS

Conversations about Lejonklou Products and this Forum

Moderator: Staff

ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Tundra TARANDUS

Post by ThomasOK »

Nothing new for the Sagatuns at this time either. Geez, we’ve just gotten Gaio 2, Slipsik 6.1 and Tundra 2.?. Give the man a break, he needs to get the MC phono stage done! ;-)
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Tundra 2.5

Post by lejonklou »

Tundra 2.5 is now ready.

Two capacitors are replaced with a brand new super precision type and on the rear of the amp, there's now a Status Port and a Trim feature, similar to what's been on Tundra Mono since version 2.0.

Tundra 2.5 sounds more alive and real than the previous 2.2 version. It also performs more consistently at the peak of its performance. This is due both to the Trim feature, which compensates for how the unit is positioned in terms of temperature and air circulation, and the new capacitor, which sounds exactly the same from specimen to specimen, while the component it replaces had slight variations that I could hear but not measure.

Tundra's from serial number 060 can be upgraded to version 2.5. Older units (serial number 001 to 059) can be upgraded to version 2.2 but no higher. The reason is that older units don't respond as consistently to the Trim feature and the capacitor will not necessarily be an improvement without other changes being made as well.

The price goes up a little. A Tundra 2.5 costs exactly as much as a Tundra Mono 2.2.

Tundra 2.5 starts shipping the 1st of June.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Matteo
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Tundra 2.5

Post by Matteo »

wooow

congratulations Fredrik

M.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Hi Fredrik, is there are time limit on your amp upgrades? I’d like to settle down and enjoy some music for a while, so would rather hold back for the time being.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Thanks Matteo!

There's no time limit and absolutely no rush, Charlie. I still occasionally upgrade the earliest units I ever made (e.g. a Hudik and a Kikkin in the last year) and will continue to do so for as long as it's possible.
mrco99
Very active member
Very active member

Post by mrco99 »

Great news and congratulations Fredrik!

Two stereo Tundra amps now on their way to Uppsala for the upgrade.
Distributor of Lejonklou | Aqua | Graham Audio | Klangedang | NOKTable | Ophidian | The Wand
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

Great news. If I had the money I would try it out. Best of luck.
Playing cd’s…………
Sopper
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Sopper »

lejonklou wrote:
Tundra's from serial number 060 can be upgraded to version 2.5. Older units (serial number 001 to 059) can be upgraded to version 2.2 but no higher. The reason is that older units don't respond as consistently to the Trim feature and the capacitor will not necessarily be an improvement without other changes being made as well.
:(
KÄLLA > Sagatun Mono 1.7 > Tundra Mono 3.0 > Graham LS8/1F
Cables: Trivium Audio Cables
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Sopper wrote::(
I hear you and I'm sorry.

It's partly a matter of where to spend my time. It's undoubtedly the most limited resource I have when developing new products.

It took a long time to test things on boards above s/n 059. I then concluded that the optimal capacitor and value doesn't sound good on boards below s/n 060 (and neither does it work well on Tundra Mono). And the Trim feature will likely require a change of output transistors to a different selection - or some other modification to the circuit. The original specification is not as adjustable and doesn't benefit from trimming in the same way. Unless there's a way I haven't figured out yet.
Sopper
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Sopper »

lejonklou wrote:
Sopper wrote::(
I hear you and I'm sorry.

It's partly a matter of where to spend my time. It's undoubtedly the most limited resource I have when developing new products.

It took a long time to test things on boards above s/n 059. I then concluded that the optimal capacitor and value doesn't sound good on boards below s/n 060 (and neither does it work well on Tundra Mono). And the Trim feature will likely require a change of output transistors to a different selection - or some other modification to the circuit. The original specification is not as adjustable and doesn't benefit from trimming in the same way. Unless there's a way I haven't figured out yet.
No apologies needed; I fully understand that there are limits to which devices are upgradable.
I own serial 057 and at 2.2 it’s still very very enjoyable.
Recent experiments with bi-amping 2 Quad 303’s have revealed that your amplifier is more musically.
So I’m still happy!
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Sopper wrote:Recent experiments with bi-amping 2 Quad 303’s have revealed that your amplifier is more musically.
So I’m still happy!
Did you compare one Quad 303 single amped versus two Quad 303's bi-amped?
Sopper
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Sopper »

lejonklou wrote:
Sopper wrote:Recent experiments with bi-amping 2 Quad 303’s have revealed that your amplifier is more musically.
So I’m still happy!
Did you compare one Quad 303 single amped versus two Quad 303's bi-amped?
I'll give an update in the other thread; let’s not go too much off topic in this Tundra-thread
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

lejonklou wrote:Tundra 2.5 is now ready.

Two capacitors are replaced with a brand new super precision type and on the rear of the amp, there's now a Status Port and a Trim feature, similar to what's been on Tundra Mono since version 2.0.

Tundra 2.5 sounds more alive and real than the previous 2.2 version. It also performs more consistently at the peak of its performance. This is due both to the Trim feature, which compensates for how the unit is positioned in terms of temperature and air circulation, and the new capacitor, which sounds exactly the same from specimen to specimen, while the component it replaces had slight variations that I could hear but not measure.

The price goes up a little. A Tundra 2.5 costs exactly as much as a Tundra Mono 2.2.

Last week a few dealers received their first Tundra 2.5 and this coming week a few more of them will have it on demo.

I must say I'm extremely pleased with how tight it sounds. It seems to make each note of bass start and stop with perfect precision, almost as if the speakers had their cabinets and filling improved. It's also interesting how this improvement, which I perceive to be most prominent in the bass, is electrically a very small fine tuning of the high frequency response, far above our limits of hearing.

The price for the upgrade from version 2.2 to 2.5 has been set to SEK 3750, €380, £330 and around US$430, including VAT but excluding shipping costs. The upgrade can be made at my lab in Uppsala, Sweden and by the North American distributor Nokturne Audio.

I'm eagerly awaiting your impressions!

And by the way, if you are in Northern Ireland near Lisburn on Saturday the 30th of June, John Stirling and I will be demonstrating Tundra 2.5 against 2.2 at Kantata Audio. My first ever trip to the Green Island, so much looking forward to it!
anthony
Very active member
Very active member

Post by anthony »

lejonklou wrote:
lejonklou wrote:Tundra 2.5 is now ready.

Last week a few dealers received their first Tundra 2.5 and this coming week a few more of them will have it on demo.

I must say I'm extremely pleased with how tight it sounds. It seems to make each note of bass start and stop with perfect precision, almost as if the speakers had their cabinets and filling improved. It's also interesting how this improvement, which I perceive to be most prominent in the bass, is electrically a very small fine tuning of the high frequency response, far above our limits of hearing.

The price for the upgrade from version 2.2 to 2.5 has been set to SEK 3750, €380, £330 and around US$430, including VAT but excluding shipping costs. The upgrade can be made at my lab in Uppsala, Sweden and by the North American distributor Nokturne Audio.

I'm eagerly awaiting your impressions!

And by the way, if you are in Northern Ireland near Lisburn on Saturday the 30th of June, John Stirling and I will be demonstrating Tundra 2.5 against 2.2 at Kantata Audio. My first ever trip to the Green Island, so much looking forward to it!
I have been using a Tundra 2.5 for over a week now. I have already fed back my impressions to Fredrik, and mine are exactly the same as Fredrik describes. I have always found it difficult to achieve tight integrated bass on passve akubariks, until now.
This is a worthy upgrade purely for this reason, but in addition I have found the goosebump moments have increased, more emotion is being conveyed.
It is musically surprising for what appears to be a small amplifier change, but there again that does often appear to be the case.
Well done Fredrik.
HIDDENSYSTEMS

Post by HIDDENSYSTEMS »

Looking forward to receiving upgrades and a new one soon. We’re selling a traded in Tundra 1.2 #26 for a song if anyone wants to put their toe in the water.
http://www.hiddensystems.co.uk
Lejonklou | Linn | Naim | Devialet | Rega | Totem | |Kudos
Ozzzy189
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Ozzzy189 »

I'll get mine upgrade after I get married and then after I get my TV calibrated. Tighter bass is always good!
ADS3/SagMono/Tundra 2.2- . Totem Tribe Tower.
Lejonklou demos available in the N of England.
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

Ozzzy189 wrote:I'll get mine upgrade after I get married and then after I get my TV calibrated. Tighter bass is always good!
*After* the TV?!? :-o

:)
Ozzzy189
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Ozzzy189 »

Yes. I'm really happy with my stereo at the moment but TV calibration is something I care about for high end displays.
ADS3/SagMono/Tundra 2.2- . Totem Tribe Tower.
Lejonklou demos available in the N of England.