Tundra Mono Tarandus

Conversations about Lejonklou Products and this Forum

Moderator: Staff

mrco99
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Tundra Mono Tarandus

Post by mrco99 »

Thank you Christian, the pleasure of meeting you was mutual.
I definately pay you a visit next time I´m around, as I will explore the Trier region as well.

I know Majik 140 speaker with the aluminium upgrade bases are very well capable to show you all the
improvements you have made these last months.
Happy to read your further comments as the system balances out, enjoy!
Distributor of Lejonklou | Aqua | Graham Audio | Klangedang | NOKTable | Ophidian | The Wand
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

Great system you have there Christian!
Next step is Sagatun Monos for sure, but until then enjoy :)
It's all about musical understanding!
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

My Monos going to get the Tarandus upgrade on the 12th Dec. Excited.

Anyone that received their upgraded Monos and can report their findings?
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Music Lover wrote:My Monos going to get the Tarandus upgrade on the 12th Dec. Excited.
Me too. About your feedback!
Music Lover wrote:Anyone that received their upgraded Monos and can report their findings?
Nobody has had their Mono's upgraded yet.

There is a bunch arriving next week, maybe when they've returned to their owners we'll get some impressions!
macrotech2
Very active member
Very active member

Post by macrotech2 »

For efficiency, I'm having both Sagatuns and Tundras updated at the same time, so sadly I won't be able to assess individual impacts. Oh well, I think I can live with that!
Källa/Sagatun Mono Tarandus/Tundra Mono 3/Avalon Idea Mk2
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

Music Lover wrote:My Monos going to get the Tarandus upgrade on the 12th Dec. Excited.
My three Monos have now been playing 16h and they are very musical but boomy in the deeper bass.
This seems typical of the Tarandus upgrade as I had same behaviour on my Sagtun Monos.
Going to be just perfect in a few days.

Appart from a better musical flow, it's more live, more details and strangely a wider stereo perspective.
On the Sagatuns I had non of the (for me normal) performance fluctuations during burn-in, but on the Tundras I notice some small ones.
Get back with more impressions later in the week.

Based on the first indications, this going to be just wonderful !!

Stay Tuned :)
maffe
Very active member
Very active member

Post by maffe »

23h23min since I started up my monos after the Tarandus got installed and played non stop, ML have a good 30 min more up time on his ;)

I´m a vegetarian and therefore don´t like fat, meaty sound :P
More into firm, well sliced tofu and stay in tune with mother nature:D
Ok, that out of the way!

Today was the first time after selling my Canton Digital 2.1 that my wife said, with out me asking, that it plays much better. She suddenly understod more of what was going on in the soundscape on "The Wall"!
Fort me the biggest change so far is better, more tuneful bas with more defined hit and stop then before. Maybe a little "boomy" as ML stated.
The start/stop-control ( sorry for not having better words for it in my vocabulary) is pretty easy to spot on Dire Straits - Communiqe "Once upon a time in the west", the micro pauses in the music is much more defined, guitars much easier to follow.

Really like this upgrade so far!
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

I am thrilled to read that you like it!
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

A short one regarding the low end performance...
The bass is now getting more and more defined & articulate. No more boom.
Hard hitting, fast and deep bass. Great control.
Better than ever before.

And this after only 36h burn-in, WOW! How good is THIS going to be when fully settled down?
I'm deeply impressed Fredrik.
maffe
Very active member
Very active member

Post by maffe »

48h

Still getting better, tight, faster, attack and more control in the bass and low mid.
It´s more 3D, more open and better room information, Eivör https://youtu.be/4_FIwLoIHBY is a good excample, the room open up and acoustics just grows in size.

Fredrik was really careful about how musicality would improve, almost to the point it was no change other then "just" control and dept.
He´s wrong and way to humble, much more music then ever before!
ChrBea

Post by ChrBea »

Music Lover wrote:And this after only 36h burn-in, WOW! How good is THIS going to be when fully settled down? I'm deeply impressed Fredrik.
So am I. And now after nearly 1 month burn-in, they sound even better. Has been an excellent journey so far.
maffe wrote:He´s wrong and way to humble, much more music then ever before!
+1
LP12 Kore-KRad-Majik Tonearm-Slipsik 8 & KDS/3 > Sagatun & Tundra Monos 3 > A242
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

Short update
On day 4 the musical performance took a dive. In addition it was undefined, limited deep bass and decreased dynamics.
It then got better over the days and after 5 additional days (yesterday) it was great again. A fiend visited us yesterday evening and she started dancing directly when she entering the house (the True album from Spandau Ballet on vol 50 was heard from the music room from the other part of the house) - made my day!

A bit less great today.
But still very very good! The foot is tapping like crazy, today it's Sting and Van Morrison.

I always get friendly remarks from Fredrik on my over-the-top sensitivity for burn-in performance variations. ;)
Hope you not getting too tired on my reports.
maffe
Very active member
Very active member

Post by maffe »

I have not experienced the same big drop in performance, maybe it came during night and following day or just passed unnoticed?
Still playing 24/7 here :)
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

I have had a couple of chances to hear what Tarandus can do to the Tundra Mono2s now having upgraded a number of them, including the three that I use in my system. The first pair I upgraded I did at the same time. I listened to a specific Steely Dan track the night before and then again the next evening after I had done the upgrades. Even with no burn in I was quite impressed with the improvement - this was no subtle upgrade, it was a significant musical improvement. My immediate thought on hearing the Tarandus Monos was "Wow, that guitarist is REALLY good!" All the musicians were just sounding like they had taken a level up in skill. This is the kind of perfromance improvement I like to hear.

Next I upgraded the mate to the TM2 I use on the sub. I brought it home and decided to do a direct A/B just to see what I could hear. So I disconnected the sub and turned off the right channel, connected up the stock TM2 to the left channel and played the mono Jimi Hendrix "Axis: Bold as Love" record I have. As usual it sounded really good, musical, tuneful, solid and fun. Then I connected up the just upgraded TM2 Tarandus and played the track again. Amazing! I was no longer listening to a JBL3677 - it had been replaced by Jimis' Marshall stack right in my living room! I have never heard it sound so much like I am listening through the system, rather than to the system, before. Quite an accomplishment, Fredrik! A new standard in amplification has been reached.

I then returned the system to normal and hooked the upgraded amp up to the sub. I did notice the bit of bass heaviness others had mentioned and turned the sub down about a dB to bring it back into balance. After about a week it seemed a touch light and I turned the sub most of the way back up. With a recent Duke Ellington record I picked up there is some very powerful bass drum playing and it it is literally surprising how the system powers the room with clean, musical and powerful bass. I'm delighted!
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

Hi there!
Anyone else fancy giving an update?

I'm seriously stunned by the performance of my amps/speakers, every time a got a chance listening.
Over time, it's better and better but now extremely little. I should say it's burned in by now.
(copy from the 4645C tread)

The Tarandus upgrade is like adjusting the focus of binoculars: more insight, more control, tighter, deeper bass and above all more musical.
Great stuff.
jlwdm

Post by jlwdm »

Just put my Tundra Tarandus in my system today and heading out of town for a few days so not ready to comment yet.

Jeff
jlwdm

Post by jlwdm »

See above.

Sorry, did not notice this is a mono thread. Mine is stereo.

Jeff
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Looking forward to your impressions, Jeff!

You can post them in the thread 'Tundra TARANDUS', or I can move them.
Sound Hound

Post by Sound Hound »

Forgive me, but there is something I'm not understanding here. I was under the impression that each Tundra Mono is tested and listened to/tuned to get the performance as good as or better than the reference amplifier - which naturally must sound great. And yet some folks here are saying that their amps are bass heavy/have variable performance etc, but this usually sorts itself out with burn in - how can this be ? - How is it possible to get these Monos tuned for optimum performance if the performance itself is so variable ?!
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Hi Sound Hound!

Indeed I listen to and evaluate each unit before it's shipped, both when new and after an upgrade. I play it against my own pair, which are not exceptional, but simply a reference. When you do evaluations every day, it becomes easy to notice when something does not feel right.

I personally think that "burn in" is something not so difficult to hear through. My Tundra Mono's were quite bass heavy the first night - but oh boy they sure delivered! Then on day three to four they felt kind of stiff, almost a bit shy - but oh boy they sure delivered!

What I'm saying is that musically, I feel it's not difficult to evaluate the performance even though one can sense that this unit has probably not settled yet.
Sound Hound

Post by Sound Hound »

Thanks for the explanation Frederik. I have a mutual friend (initials AL) who has a pair of latest spec Monos. To say he is very impressed with them is perhaps an understatement! I'm having to seriously reconsider my upgrade plan for my Linn Klimax system !
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

My dealer has been saying similar things. I am wondering if I really need a new cartridge when my shares come through, and if not, when... It would only be a Tundra Stereo though.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

The latest Tundra stereo is nothing to sneeze at. I wouldn't want to be a Klimax Chakra Twin sitting next to it waiting for the A/B test!
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

ThomasOK wrote:The latest Tundra stereo is nothing to sneeze at. I wouldn't want to be a Klimax Chakra Twin sitting next to it waiting for the A/B test!
Compared it with the first version Tundra stereo - the black was better.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

By popular demand:

It's now a little easier to fine tune the idling current. A black sphere has been added to the trimmer.
3DC22AA0-EF76-46DC-9D3C-12B325BAF088.jpeg
81F10D9B-C361-4386-8277-E14964A9EE5F.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.