Conversations about Lejonklou Products and this Forum

Moderator: Staff

ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Tundra Mono Tarandus

Post by ThomasOK »

Oooh, a shift knob! How cool!

I didn't really have any problem with the old knob but then I am used to working on small items like cartridge tags and headshell screws. I do expect this will make it easier.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
snatex

Post by snatex »

lejonklou wrote: 2021-04-19 20:10
snatex wrote: 2021-04-19 15:27
lejonklou wrote: 2017-03-30 23:55 Regarding connecting a subwoofer to a Boazu using the speaker outputs to high level inputs, please note the following:

The black or blue wire that is 'Left -' should go to Left Red (+) on Boazu
The yellow wire that is 'Left +' should go to Left Black (-) on Boazu
The red wire that is 'Right +' should go to Right Black (-) on Boazu

The subwoofer should then be set to phase inverted.

It's really important that the above scheme is used or fatal damage can occur.

I just put it on the website's Boazu page (my sincere apologies for not having completed the text on the Boazu page): http://www.lejonklou.com/tips/how-to-co ... -to-boazu/
Can you please confirm the recommended install instructions for connecting a pair of REL subs with high level inputs to the monos?

I assume a spade to banana adapter like the one below can be used to have both the banana from the speaker wire and the spade from the REL HL connected to the banana input on the Monos?

http://cardas.com/cab.php
Hi Snatex!

This thread is about Boazu, not Tundra Mono. Also the instructions above are for Boazu and Boazu only.

When you write 'Monos' I am guessing you mean Tundra Mono? Then don't use the instructions above, connect as REL recommends.
Thanks Frederik. I did mean the Tundra Monos. I think this is moved to the right thread now. :)

REL has different instructions for Class A/B and Class D monoblock amplifiers. The main difference is the importance of floating the ground. See the article below for an explanation. REL has advised that they think that while Linn SMPS amps are technically not Class D amps they are more like Class D than A/B and should be treated as such. Should the Tundra Mono also be treated as class D amp for these purposes?

https://relsupport.zendesk.com/hc/en-us ... on-Methods

Do you see any issues with using one of those spade banana adapters I linked above?

Can the line out RCA from the Tundra Monos be used as an alternative output to subs?
LP12 / Entity / Sagatun Monos / Tundra Monos / Harbeth M30.1 / Rythmik E22's
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

snatex wrote: 2021-04-19 20:52 REL has different instructions for Class A/B and Class D monoblock amplifiers. The main difference is the importance of floating the ground. See the article below for an explanation. REL has advised that they think that while Linn SMPS amps are technically not Class D amps they are more like Class D than A/B and should be treated as such. Should the Tundra Mono also be treated as class D amp for these purposes?
No, on Tundra and Tundra Mono, the black speaker output is true ground. So use the Class A/B instructions provided by REL. (Boazu differs from this in that red speaker output is true ground, that's why one has to flip the connections and then invert the phase of the sub).
snatex wrote: 2021-04-19 20:52 Do you see any issues with using one of those spade banana adapters I linked above?
I see no issues, but I'm not sure how good they'll sound. Silver and rhodium are not my favourite platings.
snatex wrote: 2021-04-19 20:52 Can the line out RCA from the Tundra Monos be used as an alternative output to subs?
Yes they can, but I have found that with REL and other high level input subs, it's more musical to use the loudspeaker output.
snatex

Post by snatex »

lejonklou wrote: 2021-04-20 02:36 I see no issues, but I'm not sure how good they'll sound. Silver and rhodium are not my favourite platings.
An alternative to using an adapter of some sort on the banana taps on back of the Tundra would be to connect the REL high level wires to the same lines on the input collars on the back of the Ninkas. Do you think this would be a better solution?
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

snatex wrote: 2021-04-22 18:32 An alternative to using an adapter of some sort on the banana taps on back of the Tundra would be to connect the REL high level wires to the same lines on the input collars on the back of the Ninkas. Do you think this would be a better solution?
Yes, I think that is a better solution.
snatex

Post by snatex »

I know watts per channel in an amplifier is not the end-all, be-all that some people make it out to be. Many people use watts per channel as the only factor in choosing or pairing an amplifier. Yet I've heard the Tundra Monos smoke much more powerful amps. I've also heard more knowledgeable people than myself (like Frederik, Thomas, etc.) discuss other amplification nuances such as current, impedance, damping, voltage, etc.

The Tundra Mono Tarandus lists its specs as:

Output impedance/Rec. load 0.05 Ω/4–16 Ω
Output power (all ratings continuous 40 W into 8 Ω 20-20k Hz
RMS at less than 0.1% THD and 57 W into 4 Ω 20-20k Hz
mains voltage >103 or >207 VAC)
Output peak voltage 26 V

Can someone (Frederik, Thomas, and others) explain what specs and attributes on the Tundra Mono help it perform so well and what specs, measurements, or characteristics on potential speaker pairings are most important to consider when pairing them with the Tundra Mono?
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Hi snatex!

You're asking questions that require very long answers. And apart from facts, probably some opinions, speculations and debate as well.

None of the specifications that are published on my amps have anything to do with how they sound. My original plan was to never share any specifications, but Thomas O'Keefe informed me of the US regulations and it made sense to comply with them. So I've shared what I have to, not what in my opinion is actually important.

I don't know of any simple technical specifications that are meaningful. What's important is how the circuit works and how stable it is when working in various conditions. A circuit that changes its behavior with the level of the signal, with how much current it needs to deliver, with the impedance of the load, with the frequency or any combination of these is in my experience not a circuit that is good for enjoying music with. You want a circuit that is rock steady.

I don't know how to present that quality with specifications, because in addition to the amount of necessary data, it's also complex in the manner that tiny instabilities can be far more degrading musically than large ones.

With respect to the choice of loudspeakers, I believe in choosing a pair that
1) Can play a tune convincingly,
2) You like the sound of,
3) Works well in your room, and
4) Plays loud enough for your needs.

The choice of loudspeaker is the most personal - and often most difficult - you'll make when it comes to HiFi. I don't believe at all in pairing amplifiers with speakers. My power amplifiers can drive virtually every loudspeaker that is out there and the only thing you might need to test is whether you can play them loud enough in your room. Here one specification can help: Sensitivity. The higher it is, the louder it will sound from the watts that the amps deliver. But the perceived loudness will also vary a lot with the size of your room and the sensitivity of your ears.

If that wasn't a satisfying answer to your question, I apologize, blame it partly on the corona infection I'm currently battling (I had just beaten the flu when it hit) and encourage you to post any number of follow up questions.
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

Take good care of yourself, Fredrik. Wishing you a good recovery, with no lingering aftereffects.
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

tokenbrit wrote: 2022-01-23 01:22 Take good care of yourself, Fredrik. Wishing you a good recovery, with no lingering aftereffects.
+1, all the best Fredrik for complete recovery!
Matt

MBP / Exposure pre + power (both modified) / JBL3677
V.A.MKD
Very active member
Very active member

Post by V.A.MKD »

Fredrik, Fast and complete recovery ...
Music First ...
Vlado
macrotech2
Very active member
Very active member

Post by macrotech2 »

And from me too Fredrik. It sounds like you’re having a rough time.
Källa/Sagatun Mono Tarandus/Tundra Mono 3/Avalon Idea Mk2
snatex

Post by snatex »

Thanks for sharing Frederik. Hope you make a speedy recovery.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Thank you all!

I'm doing OK, the worst part seems to be over.

It's however very boring to be away from work. Can't wait to get back. Crazy amount of orders waiting and so many ideas that just have to be tested. Ordered a blackboard and a pack of Hagoromo white chalk that I'm going to use for the creative process and a daily priority list. Always wanted a blackboard!
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Hi Fredrik, you already know I've been sending positive energy in your direction and wish you a speedy recovery. Hopefully we'll be able to chalk up a quick recovery to your anticipation of a blackboard. (Certainly not to my sense of humor.)
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

lejonklou wrote: 2022-01-23 00:05 If that wasn't a satisfying answer to your question, I apologize, blame it partly on the corona infection I'm currently battling (I had just beaten the flu when it hit) and encourage you to post any number of follow up questions.
Greetings Fredrik,

I didn't realize you got both the Flu, and then the corona virus immediately afterwards. That's certainly a doubly difficult challenge for sure. Hope you have a complete and healthy recovery!

Cheers
Tony Tune-age
Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Hermann »

Best wishes for fast recovery from me as well.
Trust your ears
Arjen
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Arjen »

Oh well, part one a flu, then part two, covid too. You can’t help the shape you’re in. Stick by the good side and there will be a guiding hand. Wish you a healthy, not too rocky, but stable recovery.
Lenco 76/S TJN, Dr. Fuss, Supernait2, CD5X, Slipsik7.1, Millon Phantom, Soundeck, AudioSensibility